Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,614 members, 7,816,522 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:35 PM

I Did Not Write Off Nigerian Youths –IBB - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Did Not Write Off Nigerian Youths –IBB (678 Views)

Okonjo-iweala Connived With World Bank, IMF To Write Off Ajaokuta Steel Company / FG May Write Off Bailout Funds To States – Amosun / I Did Not Write Any Letter To My Father-iyabo Obasanjo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Did Not Write Off Nigerian Youths –IBB by Mankam(m): 6:32pm On Apr 19, 2010
I didn’t write off Nigerian youths –IBB

Former Military Head of State, General Ibrahim Babangida yesterday denied saying that the younger generation in Nigeria were incapable of providing leadership for the country. Babangida stated this in a press statement signed by his media aide, Prince Kassim Afegbua and made available to Daily Sun.

A national daily had quoted the former military ruler as saying that part of the reasons he wanted to contest the 2011 presidential election was because the younger generation was not yet equipped to shoulder the onerous responsibility of administering the country.

In the press statement captioned: “Don’t get me wrong on younger generation,” Babangida said his views in the BBC interview last Saturday was different from the way it was reported in the media.
“I have read the printed version of my BBC interview particularly on the celebrated captions concerning leadership and the younger generation, which tends to portray my positive intentions in bad light.

To all intents and purposes, my concept of generational leadership in national development is different from the way it was captured and reported by the media, which portrays a different meaning,” he stated. IBB said he has always been an advocate of a generational leadership change in the country. He pointed out that in the nineties, he had through his politics canvassed the need for the younger generation to be responsive and active players in the governance of the country.

He added that in last BBC interview “ I was merely throwing up a challenge to the younger generation, to pick up the gauntlet and be more involved in the political process to give fillip and rationale for introducing the concept in the first place, given the complexities in the country since 1995 till date.”

However, the former Head of State emphasized that “we as a nation must build strong institutions to prepare the way for generational leadership empowerment. We need a strong, bold and experienced leadership to contend with these complexities and build the strong institutions required to make things happen.

“Countries all over the world and advanced democracies have had their own share the experiences of their older generations before transferring power to the younger generation. This would be my new role if given the opportunity to serve.”

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2010/apr/19/national-19-04-2010-003.htm

Re: I Did Not Write Off Nigerian Youths –IBB by pappilo(m): 6:34pm On Apr 19, 2010
see devil teeth! (eyin shamuga)
Re: I Did Not Write Off Nigerian Youths –IBB by 0hsisi: 6:58pm On Apr 19, 2010
What does he still want to do in Nigeria's leadership?
This is a murderous criminal that ought to be sitting in jail with soldier ants gnawing at his scrotum daily if he got life.
It's amazing that these people won't just shut up and quietly go away
Re: I Did Not Write Off Nigerian Youths –IBB by CyberG: 7:14pm On Apr 19, 2010
What a contradiction! So if your are actually throwing a challenge to the youth like you claim, why then go ahead attempting to take over the challenge you just put-up to the youths? A thieving man at 70 cannot be said to be a youth in any way! Anyways, just in a very short while, you will be joining your wife who you claimed asked you to run as president in HELL! Bunch of thieving vagabonds!
Re: I Did Not Write Off Nigerian Youths –IBB by 0hsisi: 7:17pm On Apr 19, 2010
CyberG:

What a contradiction! So if your are actually throwing a challenge to the youth like you claim, why then go ahead attempting to take over the challenge you just put-up to the youths? A thieving man at 70 cannot be said to be a youth in any way! Anyways, just in a very short while, you will be joining your wife who you claimed asked you to run as president in HELL! Bunch of thieving vagabonds!

Thank you!
Re: I Did Not Write Off Nigerian Youths –IBB by ojimboIV: 7:20pm On Apr 19, 2010
ibb!! your press statement did not answer the question of 'youth not being educated enough'. now just step aside. we don't want to hear from you ever again.
Re: I Did Not Write Off Nigerian Youths –IBB by 0hsisi: 7:22pm On Apr 19, 2010
Countries all over the world and advanced democracies have had their own share the experiences of their older generations before transferring power to the younger generation. This would be my new role if given the opportunity to serve.”

May the Minna Amadioha break your neck
Eediot!
why get into leadership at all?
an uneducated  fool that ruined Nigeria in uniform now wants to wear babariga and finish off what he started?
why can't these kidnappers locate these folks and keep them indefinitely without ransome sef.
Re: I Did Not Write Off Nigerian Youths –IBB by OAM4J: 8:21pm On Apr 19, 2010
This man must be confused. We dont need an interpreter or a linguistic to help us understand your answer below.

Que: Don’t you think it is time to allow the younger generations take over from you the older ones as it happened in America and other parts of the world?

IBB: Honestly, it is our wish that God will bring the younger people that will take over from us if they are available. I was the one who introduced the politics of new breed in this country.

Que: Why didn’t you step aside and give the younger generation a chance to lead since they are fresh and strong.

IBB: Because we have seen signs that they are not capable of leading this country and so we feel we should help them. May be they are not given the proper education that is why. I have spent 17 years since I left office.
Haba! The younger generation is supposed to be in charge by now.

You can no longer dribble us as you used to do. We know better. Nonsense.

(1) (Reply)

Yerima: Fg Moves Against Underage Marriage / Kwara Muslims Reject Female Governorship Aspirants / Soon We Shall Sleep In Nigeria And Wake Up In Biafra:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.