Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,588 members, 7,812,914 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:20 PM

What Is The Technology Behind Recharge Card Pins? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Is The Technology Behind Recharge Card Pins? (14753 Views)

WAEC pins and NECO Tokens / First To Interpret This Has 1k Recharge Card / The Technology Of Ai Robots, The Bioroids (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Technology Behind Recharge Card Pins? by drvalency: 4:55pm On Feb 07, 2018
I have been wondering...

Someone cannot easily manipulate the logical pin.

so i ask,what`s the technology behind MTN,GLO,9MOBILE,AIRTEL,e.tc Recharge cards?

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Technology Behind Recharge Card Pins? by jmao: 5:14pm On Feb 07, 2018
Keep on wondering... Why would you want to manipulate it in the first place... You want the innocent once to suffer it when you succeed on it right?

8 Likes

Re: What Is The Technology Behind Recharge Card Pins? by miraclejoy: 7:37pm On Feb 07, 2018
If you have mathematical background, it is base on Abstract Algebra, its very interesting once you define your keys its very difficult for someone else to generate those pins.

7 Likes

Re: What Is The Technology Behind Recharge Card Pins? by jmao: 7:41pm On Feb 07, 2018
miraclejoy:
If you have mathematical background, it is base on Abstract Algebra, its very interesting once you define your keys its very difficult for someone else to generate those pins.

okey sir.
Re: What Is The Technology Behind Recharge Card Pins? by ponti93(m): 8:39pm On Feb 07, 2018
And probability... Every code generated is already registered in d system as a unique code that why u cant string up random numbers and it will work

5 Likes

Re: What Is The Technology Behind Recharge Card Pins? by cassidy1996(m): 9:12pm On Feb 07, 2018
Sometimes i wonder too...
Re: What Is The Technology Behind Recharge Card Pins? by Aminu212: 9:23pm On Feb 07, 2018
listening
Re: What Is The Technology Behind Recharge Card Pins? by Cladez(m): 9:45pm On Feb 07, 2018
Its not easy to just randomly generate a pin of 16 digits correctly.I thing the probability should be 0.002%(though its possible but its too rare to occur)

Mynd44

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Technology Behind Recharge Card Pins? by MrHighSea: 11:12pm On Feb 07, 2018
U r given 3-5 times only
Re: What Is The Technology Behind Recharge Card Pins? by Oluwasaeon(m): 11:53pm On Feb 07, 2018
Re: What Is The Technology Behind Recharge Card Pins? by yarimo(m): 1:34am On Feb 08, 2018
DSS, EFCC, ICPC and the police please take notes of op
drvalency:
I have been wondering...

so i ask,what`s the technology behind MTN,GLO,9MOBILE,AIRTEL,e.tc Recharge cards?

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Technology Behind Recharge Card Pins? by Sanchez01: 5:50am On Feb 08, 2018
It is near impossible to 'calculate' and find a PIN that works for several reasons;

1. Cycling and recycling of PINs: Recycled PINs are common with recharge cards. However, the recycled ones are regenerated and put back into the market. The recycling could dip far back as 4-5 years ago and it would be difficult for anyone to hang on to an old recharge card used five years ago just because you want to get a freebie. Expired recharge cards are also recycled into the trade.

2. Activation: You could correctly guess the 16 digits on a recharge card (which would be a rare sight if not impossible). Interestingly, new recharge cards cannot be used until they are activated for use. In a layman's term, you cannot use a recharge card if a certain department within your network's company choose not to recognise the cards as active. Therefore, if you ever become lucky enough to guess the PIN properly, the possibility that it is inactive or idle is still much in play, not forgetting the possibility that your guessed PIN might have been used just some microseconds before found the last digit.

7 Likes

Re: What Is The Technology Behind Recharge Card Pins? by Makschinchin: 12:43pm On Feb 08, 2018
jmao:
Keep on wondering... Why would you want to manipulate it in the first place... You want the innocent once to suffer it when you succeed on it right?

You can imagine the op..

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: What Is The Technology Behind Recharge Card Pins? by Nobody: 1:21pm On Feb 08, 2018
Sanchez01:
It is near impossible to 'calculate' and find a PIN that works for several reasons;

1. Cycling and recycling of PINs: Recycled PINs are common with recharge cards. However, the recycled ones are regenerated and put back into the market. The recycling could dip far back as 4-5 years ago and it would be difficult for anyone to hang on to an old recharge card used five years ago just because you want to get a freebie. Expired recharge cards are also recycled into the trade.

2. Activation: You could correctly guess the 16 digits on a recharge card (which would be a rare sight if not impossible). Interestingly, new recharge cards cannot be used until they are activated for use. In a layman's term, you cannot use a recharge card if a certain department within your network's company choose not to recognise the cards as active. Therefore, if you ever become lucky enough to guess the PIN properly, the possibility that it is inactive or idle is still much in play, not forgetting the possibility that your guessed PIN might have been used just some microseconds before found the last digit.
Sorry to digress a little but if I buy an airtime from a phone vendor and I didn't use it even though I had recharged it,would the network operator still make their profit?
Secondly does the charging rate of on and off net calls translate to cash revenue for telecom service providers?
Lastly do you have an idea why ncc halt MTN from free night calls but other operators like 9mobile still do?

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Technology Behind Recharge Card Pins? by Sanchez01: 3:11pm On Feb 08, 2018
asuustrike2009:

Sorry to digress a little but if I buy an airtime from a phone vendor and I didn't use it even though I had recharged it,would the network operator still make their profit?
Digressing is necessary in some cases. To your question, the answer is yes. The first profit (Gross Ads) has been made already. So whether or not you use the airtime, the network has recorded its gross additions through the sale of recharge card which you bought. When you start using the airtime, the network makes what we call Incremental Gross Ads.

Secondly does the charging rate of on and off net calls translate to cash revenue for telecom service providers?
Yes. Rates, regardless whether or not they terminate from your home provider translates cash revenue.

Lastly do you have an idea why ncc halt MTN from free night calls but other operators like 9mobile still do?
Not sure about 9mobile's free midnight calls though but one of the major reasons responsible for 'disruption' of near free services is to curb 'unfair' practices and give every telco operator a level playing field.

Another reason is protection of communications services and facilities providers from the misuse of market power or anticompetitive and unfair practices by other service or facilities providers.

This is why services such as 'unlimited calls', 'unlimited browsing', 'free midnight calls, etc, are curbed and fought against. Allowing these services would better favour the originating service provider, particularly if others cannot provide something similar.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Technology Behind Recharge Card Pins? by Nobody: 3:15pm On Feb 08, 2018
Sanchez01:

Digressing is necessary in some cases. To your question, the answer is yes. The first profit (Gross Ads) has been made already. So whether or not you use the airtime, the network has recorded its gross additions through the sale of recharge card which you bought. When you start using the airtime, the network makes what we call Incremental Gross Ads.

Yes. Rates, regardless whether or not they terminate from your home provider translates cash revenue.

Not sure about 9mobile's free midnight calls though but one of the major reasons responsible for 'disruption' of near free services is to curb 'unfair' practices and give every telco operator a level playing field.

Another reason is protection of communications services and facilities providers from the misuse of market power or anticompetitive and unfair practices by other service or facilities providers.

This is why services such as 'unlimited calls', 'unlimited browsing', 'free midnight calls, etc, are curbed and fought against. Allowing these services would better favour the originating service provider, particularly if others cannot provide something similar.
Thank you

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Technology Behind Recharge Card Pins? by aminu790(m): 3:29pm On Feb 08, 2018
yarimo:
kai e 2 much nah
Re: What Is The Technology Behind Recharge Card Pins? by paranorman(m): 4:27pm On Feb 08, 2018
Algorithms bro, algorithms.

Many years ago, when the GSM evolution was still a buzz, I remembered predicting recharge pins was easy, especially MTN's The pins were almost serial. Infact, I had a friend who was a phone vendor that hid his recharge cards from me.

If your memory is tight and trendy back then, you should have noticed lots of people complained to the MTN of an invalid recharge pin despite scratching the card themselves. So MTN had to change theit card algorithm.

Recently, mtn increased the number of digits of their recharge pins.

If you know cryptography and similar concepts information security, you'd understand better.
Re: What Is The Technology Behind Recharge Card Pins? by quinSonia(f): 5:33pm On Feb 08, 2018
Cladez:
Its not easy to just randomly generate a pin of 16 digits correctly.I thing the probability should be 0.002%(though its possible but its too rare to occur)

Mynd44

abi....I only tried it once in lyk 1 million times...
Re: What Is The Technology Behind Recharge Card Pins? by durasome(m): 7:22pm On Feb 08, 2018
drvalency:
I have been wondering...

. fraudster sighted.
Re: What Is The Technology Behind Recharge Card Pins? by drvalency: 9:43pm On Feb 08, 2018
durasome:
. fraudster sighted.
this is no fraud,just wanting to know the tech behind it,have you imagine wanting to invent phone that can call without recharging airtime.....think man
Re: What Is The Technology Behind Recharge Card Pins? by drvalency: 9:44pm On Feb 08, 2018
paranorman:
Algorithms bro, algorithms.

Many years ago, when the GSM evolution was still a buzz, I remembered predicting recharge pins was easy, especially MTN's The pins were almost serial. Infact, I had a friend who was a phone vendor that hid his recharge cards from me.

If your memory is tight and trendy back then, you should have noticed lots of people complained to the MTN of an invalid recharge pin despite scratching the card themselves. So MTN had to change theit card algorithm.

Recently, mtn increased the number of digits of their recharge pins.

If you know cryptography and similar concepts information security, you'd understand better.
thanks man
Re: What Is The Technology Behind Recharge Card Pins? by drvalency: 9:45pm On Feb 08, 2018
yarimo:
i pity you,,,you had better aim high
Re: What Is The Technology Behind Recharge Card Pins? by deic9(m): 10:59pm On Feb 08, 2018
The tech is no longer behind it.
It's now before it.
That is why you did not see it.
Keep seaching
Re: What Is The Technology Behind Recharge Card Pins? by cardinaloo7: 11:25pm On Feb 08, 2018
but me self I wonder ,juju self e de hard for them oh
Re: What Is The Technology Behind Recharge Card Pins? by sekem: 4:59am On Feb 09, 2018
yarimo:

The OP's brains is far far ahead of yours

Curiosity is what leads to new inventions

In advanced countries, the law enforcement agencies you are calling upon actually love to work with people with that type of brains

1 Like

Re: What Is The Technology Behind Recharge Card Pins? by durasome(m): 7:37pm On Feb 09, 2018
drvalency:

this is no fraud,just wanting to know the tech behind it,have you imagine wanting to invent phone that can call without recharging airtime.....think man
. sorry sir

(1) (Reply)

Guy Posts His Bsc Certificate On Facebook (photos) / Labode Popoola Appointed As UNIOSUN Vice Chancellor (photo) / Ekiti varsity sacks 600 over illegal appointment, others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.