Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,092 members, 7,821,777 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:18 PM

I Am Afraid Of Signing Death Sentences - Okorocha. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Am Afraid Of Signing Death Sentences - Okorocha. (671 Views)

Enough Death Sentences To Go Round / Nigeria @59: Akeredolu Frees 18 Inmates In Ondo, Commutes 7 Death Sentences / Death Sentences: Nigeria Ranks 2nd In The World After China – Amnesty Int. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

I Am Afraid Of Signing Death Sentences - Okorocha. by cascarino(m): 8:05pm On Feb 07, 2018
I’m afraid of signing death sentences, says Okorocha
by Jude Owuamanam, Owerri
Imo Governor Rochas Okorocha has said that over that 170 indigenes of the state are in various prisons waiting for the hangman’s noose. He however said that he is wary of signing for their execution because of the cultural peculiarities of the state. Okorocha spoke when the Minister of Justice and Attorney General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami, and the Chairman of the Presidential Committee on Prison decongestion, Justice U.I. Bello, visited him in Owerri yesterday. Chief Press Secretary to the governor, Mr. Sam Onwuemeodo, quoted Okorocha as saying that each case would however be decided on its merit. “With the setting up of the Committee for Prison decongestion it means President Muhammadu Buhari has been doing special things, including the Agricultural Revolution, the N-Power, and now the Prison decongestion. These are wonderful innovations by the President. This is the first time a government at the centre is taking steps to see our prisons decongested”, Okorocha said. In his speech, Malami said the purpose of their visit was to review the cases of inmates in the prisons. Chairman of the committee, Bello, regretted that some of the inmates have even stayed in prison more than they would have served if convicted, stating that those who have stayed in prison beyond approved terms should be allowed to go.

https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/amplite/i-m-afraid-of-signing-death-sentences-says-okorocha.html

Re: I Am Afraid Of Signing Death Sentences - Okorocha. by muykem: 8:13pm On Feb 07, 2018
That's wrong. You have a duty to sign to clear prisons. I can do that for you anyway. I love seeing criminals suffer, they don't have pity for anybody.
Re: I Am Afraid Of Signing Death Sentences - Okorocha. by Nobody: 10:11pm On Feb 07, 2018
Your conscience will not let you sanction the death of a follow criminal, when you know that you are the bigger criminal.

(1) (Reply)

OBJ Makes U-turn, Says PMB Has Succeeded Where Others Failed / Saraki Reveals Why He Was Absent From Apc Caucus, Nec Meeting / Ranching Only Solution To End Farmers, Herdsmen Clashes In Benue – US Gov’t

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.