Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,339 members, 7,815,672 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:20 PM

Advice On How To Change My Son's Surname - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Advice On How To Change My Son's Surname (3601 Views)

Man Drags Wife To Court For Changing Children’s Surname To Lover’s / Man Changes His Surname To His Mother’s Name / Howard Sueing III Ekundayo: American Man Adopts Nigerian Wife’s Surname (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice On How To Change My Son's Surname by ifeoluwasegun(m): 11:00pm On Feb 07, 2018
Hi Nairalanders,

I need your advise on this as I think there's probably a procedure for this.

My wife just gave birth to our child which we have been expecting, and I've been having this wish for my children to bear my own first name as their surname, our family surname which I still use and on all my credentials is one you won't want to hear about, so I want to stop the tie on myself and for my children to have a new name, which is my first name.

My wife though hasn't done her change of name since marriage last year, planning to do so soon of which she'll be changing to this my same surname, but I want to ensure by all means that my children avoid it.

I'm having the feeling that there's a right procedure for it which will not doubt the parental link and family ties to us, the parents.

I hope I get useful info.

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Advice On How To Change My Son's Surname by AntiWailer: 11:10pm On Feb 07, 2018
Do change of name for yourself and your wife as soon as possible dnt procrastinate.

Name ur children the name u want to name them.

Your change of name covers.

6 Likes

Re: Advice On How To Change My Son's Surname by JudgementHammer: 11:11pm On Feb 07, 2018
Your wife own is easy. She should go to court with 1k for affidavit of change of name, then proceed to a newspaper with 4k or more for publication. Both d affidavit and publication are now her documents which she must keep. Same process for you too if you want to change your name.

But for your son, when you want to collect his birth certificate at d court, you may be demanded of an affidavit containing the signature and picture of you and your wife consenting to the change of surname for your son. Its however better if ur wife does hers and bears ur name first or u both have a change of name together before you both sign the affidavit to avoid further controversial complications over name, family and properties in future including unimaginable stories that touch the heart.

5 Likes

Re: Advice On How To Change My Son's Surname by Alariiwo: 12:00am On Feb 08, 2018
Please don't try it.. I have my reasons.

That surname you're not proud of is part of your genetic coding. Some blessings and maybe curses go with these names from generations to generations.

If you change it to your first name, you've truncated the family tree and it will have serious repercussions.
#Enough said.
Re: Advice On How To Change My Son's Surname by kestolove95(m): 12:09am On Feb 08, 2018
just come out clean guy..is the surname evans? don wanny? Oliseh or metuh? dasuki, zakzaky or what? dia is something u not telling us
Re: Advice On How To Change My Son's Surname by ifeoluwasegun(m): 7:04am On Feb 08, 2018
AntiWailer:
Do change of name for yourself and your wife as soon as possible dnt procrastinate.

Name ur children the name u want to name them.

Your change of name covers.

Thank you for this.
Re: Advice On How To Change My Son's Surname by ifeoluwasegun(m): 7:09am On Feb 08, 2018
Alariiwo:

That surname you're not proud of is part of your genetic coding. Some blessings and maybe curses go with these names from generations to generations.

If you change it to your first name, you've truncated the family tree and it will have serious repercussions.
#Enough said.

As much as I very much agree with your first paragraph, because it's very near to my main reason of the name change quest, but I'm still not convinced about your stated second paragraph as per possible repercussions.

1 Like

Re: Advice On How To Change My Son's Surname by ifeoluwasegun(m): 7:12am On Feb 08, 2018
kestolove95:
just come out clean guy..is the surname evans? don wanny? Oliseh or metuh? dasuki, zakzaky or what? dia is something u not telling us

Maybe you'll tell me your surname ma and let me see the reason for your reasoning.

2 Likes

Re: Advice On How To Change My Son's Surname by AntiWailer: 10:02am On Feb 08, 2018
ifeoluwasegun:

As much as I very much agree with your first paragraph, because it's very near to my main reason of the name change quest, but I'm still not convinced about your stated second paragraph as per possible repercussions.

Bros,

This is your life, if you are not comfortable with a name, change it without blinking.

God had to strategically give some people new names before or while dealing with them

Saul - Paul

Abram - Abraham

Jacos - Israel

Simon - Peter.

If your name affects u, truncate the family tree and start afresh. Your Children will be proud of you some day.

it is just important you let them know their root so has to prevent incest in the future.

Let the old surname ring and when they are grown enough, explain to them why you felt changing it was in their best interest.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Advice On How To Change My Son's Surname by sammyobi584: 11:08am On Feb 08, 2018
you don't have much wahala.. Just make sure that ur son's birth certificate bears the surname you want it to bear...let assume your name is ifeoluwa and,your surname is segun.. just write your sons name together with ifeoluwa and forget about the segun.the birth certificate will have it covered.

where there is issues sometimes is if ur son start bearing another surname that isn't related to your name..my cousins did same. all his children are bearing his native name as their surname instead of his own surname and they are using to travel outside the country without any problems at all

6 Likes

Re: Advice On How To Change My Son's Surname by ifeoluwasegun(m): 12:14pm On Feb 08, 2018
sammyobi584:
you don't have much wahala.. Just make sure that ur son's birth certificate bears the surname you want it to bear...let assume your name is ifeoluwa and,your surname is segun.. just write your sons name together with ifeoluwa and forget about the segun.the birth certificate will have it covered.

where there is issues sometimes is if ur son start bearing another surname that isn't related to your name..my cousins did same. all his children are bearing his native name as their surname instead of his own surname and they are using to travel outside the country without any problems at all

ALL THANKS!
Re: Advice On How To Change My Son's Surname by ImaIma1(f): 3:49pm On Feb 08, 2018
What name is on the marriage certificate? That will affect your wife and make it more complicated
Re: Advice On How To Change My Son's Surname by ifeoluwasegun(m): 7:37pm On Feb 08, 2018
ImaIma1:
What name is on the marriage certificate? That will affect your wife and make it more complicated

The same surname we are about to change.
Re: Advice On How To Change My Son's Surname by ImaIma1(f): 8:21pm On Feb 08, 2018
ifeoluwasegun:

Both of you will do an affidavit for change of name and then do a newspaper publication. You also need to make sure your next valid id card carries the new name.

Then later, you can think of correcting your BVN/banking details.
Re: Advice On How To Change My Son's Surname by Nobody: 8:55am On Feb 09, 2018
ifeoluwasegun:

Then both of you will need to do Affividavit to effect the change of name because the marriage certificate cannot suffice in this context.

Meanwhile, I can assist you with change of name publication in one reputable media outlet when you are ready.
Re: Advice On How To Change My Son's Surname by Siralgebra04(m): 9:31am On Feb 15, 2018
My dear, surname means family name or father's name. U don't u need to change ur own surname since u only want d name to stop in ur own line. Your own first name may serve as ur children surname. So ur new generation bears ur first name. If u rili want to change ur own surname it means u will probably use one of ur other names as surname or u rechristen yourself a fresh name. So, i will advise u to stick to ur surname and possibly use ur first name as ur children's surname.

3 Likes

Re: Advice On How To Change My Son's Surname by sudo1986: 3:35am On May 01, 2020
ifeoluwasegun:
Hi Nairalanders,

I need your advise on this as I think there's probably a procedure for this.

My wife just gave birth to our child which we have been expecting, and I've been having this wish for my children to bear my own first name as their surname, our family surname which I still use and on all my credentials is one you won't want to hear about, so I want to stop the tie on myself and for my children to have a new name, which is my first name.

My wife though hasn't done her change of name since marriage last year, planning to do so soon of which she'll be changing to this my same surname, but I want to ensure by all means that my children avoid it.

I'm having the feeling that there's a right procedure for it which will not doubt the parental link and family ties to us, the parents.

I hope I get useful info.

Thank you.

Please were you able to do the change of name successfully without any issue?

I really want to do for my son too but i dont want to change my own surname.

What advise can you give please!!!
Re: Advice On How To Change My Son's Surname by oruma19: 4:45am On May 01, 2020
Alariiwo:

#Enough said.
u are not serious. If we keep bearing our fathers' names, who will bear ours?

2 Likes

Re: Advice On How To Change My Son's Surname by ifeoluwasegun(m): 4:29pm On May 15, 2020
sudo1986:

Please were you able to do the change of name successfully without any issue?

I really want to do for my son too but i dont want to change my own surname.

What advise can you give please!!!

Ooooops
Unfortunately, I dropped the idea.
If I have my way, it's still what I'll love to do.
Re: Advice On How To Change My Son's Surname by brownsaint: 8:27pm On Jun 08, 2022
It's not a bad thing to allow your children bear your first name as their surname.
You really don't need to change your own surname and that of your wife but your children. You and your wife continue to bear your suremame while the children bear your first name as their surname.
Just do a new birth certificate for your children if they are still young and that's all.
I just did for my son and I have done his NIN with the new surname too. My wife and the kid now bear my surname hyphen my first name which makes it a compound name and my own surname remains the way it was.
Re: Advice On How To Change My Son's Surname by OlawaleBammie: 8:09am On Jun 09, 2022
ifeoluwasegun:

Ooooops
Unfortunately, I dropped the idea.
If I have my way, it's still what I'll love to do.
U re not serious with it.

I did it with my child and am sure nothing will happen.

I didn't even do any nonsense change of name since its not my surname i am changing.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Mini Star Diapers On Mocality Deals For Just 1900 / Help! My Wife Is Unable To Get Pregnant / I Need Social Service's Contact For Child/slave/maid Abuse

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.