Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,093 members, 7,818,281 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:49 AM

What Do Exams Really Measure? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Do Exams Really Measure? (564 Views)

Is CITN Exams Really Difficult? / Is CITN Exams Really Difficult? / Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Do Exams Really Measure? by eljay22: 9:06am On Feb 09, 2018
What do exams really test in students?

(Back story) I had a discussion with one of our lecturers yesterday, and he was heaping praise on a course mate of mine who has been performing very well right from 100 level (we are in final year at the moment).

The reason for my question is that, this said course mate hardly answer questions or make valid contributions in class. And I have engaged him severally on topics related to and diverse from our field of study but wasn't really impressed with his depth of knowledge for somebody that has a CGPA of about 4.7 in final year.
Ask him for clarifications on some concept taught, and he only repeats what was in the note given by the lecturer or textbook, without his own input to show he really has a grasp of the subject matter.
Yet, I have other course mates that have a broad understanding on many areas of knowledge, but are not doing quite well on paper (grade wise) like this person in question.

What exactly do theoretical exams measure in our institutions?

Is it critical thinking? In depth understanding of subject matter? Or ability to memorize (cram)?
Re: What Do Exams Really Measure? by Epositive(m): 9:37am On Feb 09, 2018
He probably has a retentive memory; the ability to remember what you read or what you're taught. cool

However, having understanding on other areas of knowledge is a process often accomplished through self-education based on personal interest.

Obviously, he would be better than he is (even better than you and your so-called genius of friend ofcourse grin) at the moment if he steps out of his enclosed chamber (academic success).
Re: What Do Exams Really Measure? by eljay22: 9:45am On Feb 09, 2018
Epositive:
He probably has a retentive memory; the ability to remember what you read or what you're taught. cool

However, having understanding on other areas of knowledge is a process often accomplished through self-education based on personal interest.

Obviously, he would be better than he is (even better than you and your so-called genius of friend ofcourse grin) at the moment if he steps out of his enclosed chamber (academic success).
grin

But you didn't answer the question.
Re: What Do Exams Really Measure? by BruncleZuma: 9:47am On Feb 09, 2018
Exams by the Nigerian standard is a summative method of assessing knowledge. Examinations are not a perfect measurement of competency as the style used in our country doesn't take into consideration the difference in individual learning styles and capabilities.
Re: What Do Exams Really Measure? by Epositive(m): 9:53am On Feb 09, 2018
eljay22:
grin
But you didn't answer the question.
What's the question again? remind me. grin
Re: What Do Exams Really Measure? by eljay22: 9:56am On Feb 09, 2018
BruncleZuma:
Exams by the Nigerian standard is a summative method of assessing knowledge. Examinations are not a perfect measurement of competency as the style used in our country doesn't take into consideration the difference in individual learning styles and capabilities.

Thanks for your input.

But if our exams only measures ones ability to memorize and reproduce those facts.

Is that not a faulty system? Its no longer a level playing field, as it place those who find it easy to memorize stuff at an advantage.
Re: What Do Exams Really Measure? by eljay22: 9:59am On Feb 09, 2018
Epositive:

What's the question again? remind me. grin

What do exams really test in students?

Is it critical thinking? In depth understanding of subject matter? Or ability to memorize (cram)?
Re: What Do Exams Really Measure? by BruncleZuma: 10:19am On Feb 09, 2018
eljay22:

Thanks for your input.

But if our exams only measures ones ability to memorize and reproduce those facts.

Is that not a faulty system? Its no longer a level playing field, as it place those who find it easy to memorize stuff at an advantage.

That is where holistic assessment of knowledge comes into play, you have to combine self assessments, formative assessments, summative.
Re: What Do Exams Really Measure? by babyfaceafrica: 10:22am On Feb 09, 2018
Lolz....lecturers are always like that..encouraging LA cram LA pour......don't worry... After school..you will see who will make it better.....mistakes most students make is thinking academics is everything..after 1st class and 2.1..then what?.... People need to learn than there is more to life than academics......that is why most successful people though intelligent look at the larger picture..seun left oau and we what his creation has become..even the best graduating student in his set will probably earn at most 500k if lucky...seun wet be drop put dey make millions weekly.. Guys should be wise..I learn late though..but at least not too late
Re: What Do Exams Really Measure? by eljay22: 10:42am On Feb 09, 2018
babyfaceafrica:
Lolz....lecturers are always like that..encouraging LA cram LA pour......don't worry... After school..you will see who will make it better.....mistakes most students make is thinking academics is everything..after 1st class and 2.1..then what?.... People need to learn than there is more to life than academics......that is why most successful people though intelligent look at the larger picture..seun left oau and we what his creation has become..even the best graduating student in his set will probably earn at most 500k if lucky...seun wet be drop put dey make millions weekly.. Guys should be wise..I learn late though..but at least not too late

I see.

I had my first and only carryover in my 200 level first semester which left me devastated. I later made friend with a course mate that had a perfect 5.0 cgpa in 100 level. And I learnt his secret, grin say na cramming win am.

There is nothing wrong with cramming though neither is anything wrong with academic excellence. My argument is that we can come up with a better way of assessment other than the status quo.

(1) (Reply)

Aau / WAEC GCE (second Series) Registration 2018 Has Commenced – See Details / Fully-funded Master Scholarships At University Of Stuttgart In Germany

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.