Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,666 members, 7,809,516 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:47 AM

What The Codes And Numbers On Your Car Tyres Mean And It's Importance - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What The Codes And Numbers On Your Car Tyres Mean And It's Importance (1582 Views)

How To Know When Car Tyres Need Replacing / How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Are Expired / See What A Melting Road Did To Car Tyres After An Heavy Rain & Sun In Australia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What The Codes And Numbers On Your Car Tyres Mean And It's Importance by AllAboutTyres(m): 1:51pm On Feb 09, 2018
Ever wonder what all of the letters and numbers mean on the sidewall of your tires? There may be much more information on your tires than you realize. Let’s take a closer look.

Re: What The Codes And Numbers On Your Car Tyres Mean And It's Importance by AllAboutTyres(m): 2:11pm On Feb 09, 2018
Using the picture above.

Tire Size Markings

(A) 205 = Section Width Tread (mm)
The section width is the width of the tire from one sidewall to the other measured in millimeters. In this example the tire is 205 millimeters wide. (Section width is the width of the part of the tyres that touch the surface of the ground)

(B) 55 = Aspect Ratio (Ratio of Sidewall height to width)
The aspect ratio refers to the height of the sidewall. It is a percentage of the section width. In this example, the sidewall height is 45% of the 205 section width. (The sidewall is the part of the tyre you can see when looking at the tyre from the sides)

R = Radial Construction
In this example, the R designates this tire as a radial tire. Radial tires have layers of fabric whose cords run at right angles to the circumference of the tire and whose tread is strengthened by additional layers around the circumference making it the most common type of automotive tire.

(C) 16 = Wheel Diameter/Rim Diameter (inches)
Wheel Diameter specifies the size, in inches, of the wheel that a tire fits. In this example, the tire will fit a 16 inch wheel.

(D) 91 = Load Index
Load Index indicates the maximum load carrying capacity of the tire. It is very important to only install tires with a load index that meets or exceeds your vehicle manufacturer’s specification. Most new tyres will bust after a few months due to misuse especially when constantly exceeding it's load index. Below is a load index chat, so you can easily tell the load carrying capacity in KG, that your car tyres can conviniently carry. From the chart below, we can see that a tyre with an index of 91 can conviniently carry 615kg of load.

(E) V = Speed Rating
The speed rating designates the maximum speed at which a properly installed and inflated tire can be driven on while carrying it's maximum load. In this example, the speed rating is V which means it can be driven at speeds up to 149 mph or 240km/h
Re: What The Codes And Numbers On Your Car Tyres Mean And It's Importance by AllAboutTyres(m): 2:12pm On Feb 09, 2018
Load Index Chart

Re: What The Codes And Numbers On Your Car Tyres Mean And It's Importance by AllAboutTyres(m): 2:13pm On Feb 09, 2018
Speed Rating Chart

Re: What The Codes And Numbers On Your Car Tyres Mean And It's Importance by Nwaohafia1: 7:13pm On Feb 09, 2018
AllAboutTyres:
Using the picture above.

Tire Size Markings

(A) 205 = Section Width Tread (mm)
The section width is the width of the tire from one sidewall to the other measured in millimeters. In this example the tire is 205 millimeters wide. (Section width is the width of the part of the tyres that touch the surface of the ground)

(B) 55 = Aspect Ratio (Ratio of Sidewall height to width)
The aspect ratio refers to the height of the sidewall. It is a percentage of the section width. In this example, the sidewall height is 45% of the 205 section width. (The sidewall is the part of the tyre you can see when looking at the tyre from the sides)

R = Radial Construction
In this example, the R designates this tire as a radial tire. Radial tires have layers of fabric whose cords run at right angles to the circumference of the tire and whose tread is strengthened by additional layers around the circumference making it the most common type of automotive tire.

(C) 16 = Wheel Diameter/Rim Diameter (inches)
Wheel Diameter specifies the size, in inches, of the wheel that a tire fits. In this example, the tire will fit a 16 inch wheel.

(D) 91 = Load Index
Load Index indicates the maximum load carrying capacity of the tire. It is very important to only install tires with a load index that meets or exceeds your vehicle manufacturer’s specification. Most new tyres will bust after a few months due to misuse especially when constantly exceeding it's load index. Below is a load index chat, so you can easily tell the load carrying capacity in KG, that your car tyres can conviniently carry. From the chart below, we can see that a tyre with an index of 91 can conviniently carry 615kg of load.

(E) V = Speed Rating
The speed rating designates the maximum speed at which a properly installed and inflated tire can be driven on while carrying it's maximum load. In this example, the speed rating is V which means it can be driven at speeds up to 149 mph or 240km/h

What is the recommended tyre for a 2002 Toyota Sienna? I have been seeing different sizes on different Sienna.
Re: What The Codes And Numbers On Your Car Tyres Mean And It's Importance by AllAboutTyres(m): 7:18pm On Feb 09, 2018
Nwaohafia1:

What is the recommended tyre for a 2002 Toyota Sienna? I have been seeing different sizes on different Sienna.

Hello Sir. For a 2002 Toyota Sienna, the suitable and recommend tyre sizes

For a Base Model:
1. 205/70R15
2. 215/65R15

For XLE
1.215/65R1
Re: What The Codes And Numbers On Your Car Tyres Mean And It's Importance by Nwaohafia1: 7:21pm On Feb 09, 2018
AllAboutTyres:

Hello Sir. For a 2002 Toyota Sienna, the suitable and recommend tyre sizes

For a Base Model:
1. 205/70R15
2. 215/65R15

For XLE
1.215/65R1

Mine came in 205/65R17. Why 17 rim? I was advised to use 215/70R16.
Re: What The Codes And Numbers On Your Car Tyres Mean And It's Importance by AllAboutTyres(m): 8:14pm On Feb 09, 2018
Nwaohafia1:

Mine came in 205/65R17. Why 17 rim? I was advised to use 215/70R16.

When you say it came with a 17 rim, i am inclined to assume it's a tokunbo right. I can safely assume too that the previous owner was ignorant of the correct rim size to use. Or that he changed it to a larger rim for aesthetic purposes (larger rims tend to look finer and add glamour to cars).

Now, that car naturally comes with the sizes i mentioned to you in the previous reply. But you can change your rim size, but have this in mind. When you increase a rim size from 15 to 16, or 15 to 17, you must make adjustments to the size of tyres too. Meaning you must maintain the diameter your car was built to handle. So When you move to a larger wheel diameter (such as from 16 to 17 inches), you need new tires to match. Those tires need a lower profile (or sidewall height) to maintain adequate clearance when they go over bumps and potholes, which makes the suspension fully compress and rebound. If the wheel diameter increases by one inch, the height of the tire (side wall height) should decrease accordingly to compensate, in order to keep the overall diameter the same. The side wall height is the number after the / and before the 'R' in the number code here. 205/65R17. That is '65'. Notice how it grows smaller as the rim size increases.

So since you are downgrading from 17 to 16, the car tyre height will increase. Which is why instead of 65 side wall height that came with your car, you were adviced to use 70 now that you are reducing your rim. So as the rim increases, the tyre height must reduce. If the tyre height increases, the rim should reduce.
Seing that you have used 17 rims before, you can safely downgrade to 16. So the 215/70R16 suggestion is fine.Though that car actually was built from the factory with a 15 inch wheel.
Re: What The Codes And Numbers On Your Car Tyres Mean And It's Importance by Nwaohafia1: 8:36pm On Feb 09, 2018
AllAboutTyres:

When you say it came with a 17 rim, i am inclined to assume it's a tokunbo right. I can safely assume too that the previous owner was ignorant of the correct rim size to use. Or that he changed it to a larger rim for esthetic purposes (larger rims tend to look finer and add glamour to cars).

Now, that car naturally comes with the sizes i mentioned to you in the previous reply. But you can change your rim size, but have this in mind. When you increase a rim size from 15 to 16, or 15 to 17, you must make adjustments to the size of tyres too. Meaning you must maintain the diameter your car was built to handle. So When you move to a larger wheel diameter (such as from 16 to 17 inches), you need new tires to match. Those tires need a lower profile (or sidewall height) to maintain adequate clearance when they go over bumps and potholes, which makes the suspension fully compress and rebound. If the wheel diameter increases by one inch, the height of the tire (side wall height) should decrease accordingly to compensate, in order to keep the overall diameter the same. The side wall height is the number after the / and before the 'R' in the number code here. 205/65R17. That is '65'. Notice how it grows smaller as the rim size increases.

So since you are downgrading from 17 to 16, the car tyre height will increase. Which is why instead of 65 side wall height that came with your car, you were adviced to use 70 now that you are reducing your rim. So as the rim increases, the tyre height must reduce. If the tyre height increases, the rim should reduce.
Seing that you have used 17 rims before, you can safely downgrade to 16. So the 215/70R16 suggestion is fine.Though that car actually was built from the factory with a 15 inch wheel.

Gbam. Yes, it's a tokunbo. Thank you for the insight even though i knew all these before. My concern was that the vehicle came with R17, which i haven't heard of before.

I was advised to use 215/70R16 or 215/65/R17, but you know how the country is, no money to buy new rims. So i will continue with the R17.
Re: What The Codes And Numbers On Your Car Tyres Mean And It's Importance by AllAboutTyres(m): 8:47pm On Feb 09, 2018
Nwaohafia1:

Gbam. Yes, it's a tokunbo. Thank you for the insight even though i knew all these before. My concern was that the vehicle came with R17, which i haven't heard of before.

I was advised to use 215/70R16 or 215/65/R17, but you know how the country is, no money to buy new rims. So i will continue with the R17.

Thanks Boss. Anyway, i'm surprised you haven't heard of 17, there are many cars out there running on 18, 19, 20 rims.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Used Toyota Corolla Sport 2010 Black. 94,000 Mileage. / Would You Buy This 1982 Peugeot 504 For 5 Million Naira? / Charged On Wrong Taxify/bolt Trip Please Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.