Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,224 members, 7,815,281 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:10 AM

How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Are Expired - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Are Expired (21517 Views)

Reasons Why Spare Tyres Are Smaller Than The Normal Tyres / See What A Melting Road Did To Car Tyres After An Heavy Rain & Sun In Australia / Reasons Why Thick Tyres Are Better Than The Standard Models (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Are Expired by NaijadrivaCars: 8:33am On Dec 03, 2019
It is a known fact that car tyres expire. Tyres are made of rubber and rubber degrades with age and temperature whether used or not.

Apparently, only few Nigerians were aware of the fact that vehicle tyres come with expiry dates. Some drivers, as Naijadriva observed, with years of driving experience do not know how to read the age of a tyre, thereby buying expired tires, whether new or fairly used ones. For the fairly used ones, even though you dont expect to buy one within four year life, you may see a driver buying a tire that expired since 2005!

According to Federal Road Safety Corps [FRSC], expired tyres account for a large number of road accidents nationwide.

So, how can one tell if one’s tyres have attained their expiry dates?

First, vehicle tyres have a 4-year validity period from their Date of Manufacture (DOM) (though some Safety groups in some countries recommends 6 years).

However, considering our peculiar rough driving terrains, and our temperate climate, it makes a whole lot of sense to agree with the FRSC recommended 4 years.
After the period of validity, the tyres risk getting burst while in use, especially when running in hot weather.

So, to find out if your tyres are expired – first, look on the sidewall, or the surface of the tyre, you would find a stamp that looks thus: (*4708*).
There is an asterisk at the beginning and at the end of this number (although some tyres don’t have asterisks).

The last four numbers identify the date of manufacture of the tyre to the nearest week. That is, the first two digits represent the week of manufacture, while the last two digits represents the year of manufacture.

So, in this case (*4708*), the tyre was manufactured on the 47th week in 2008.
Thus, the expiry date would be the 47th week of 2012 ( that is, 4 years from date of manufacture)
So with this knowledge, and for safety purpose, it is important for us to regularly check on our vehicle tyres.

Source: https://naijadriva./2019/12/03/how-to-tell-if-your-car-tyres-are-expired/

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Are Expired by adanny01(m): 5:43am On Dec 04, 2019
NaijadrivaCars:
It is a known fact that car tyres expire. Tyres are made of rubber and rubber degrades with age and temperature whether used or not.

Apparently, only few Nigerians were aware of the fact that vehicle tyres come with expiry dates. Some drivers, as Naijadriva observed, with years of driving experience do not know how to read the age of a tyre, thereby buying expired tires, whether new or fairly used ones. For the fairly used ones, even though you dont expect to buy one within four year life, you may see a driver buying a tire that expired since 2005!

According to Federal Road Safety Corps [FRSC], expired tyres account for a large number of road accidents nationwide.

So, how can one tell if one’s tyres have attained their expiry dates?

First, vehicle tyres have a 4-year validity period from their Date of Manufacture (DOM) (though some Safety groups in some countries recommends 6 years).

However, considering our peculiar rough driving terrains, and our temperate climate, it makes a whole lot of sense to agree with the FRSC recommended 4 years.
After the period of validity, the tyres risk getting burst while in use, especially when running in hot weather.

So, to find out if your tyres are expired – first, look on the sidewall, or the surface of the tyre, you would find a stamp that looks thus: (*4708*).
There is an asterisk at the beginning and at the end of this number (although some tyres don’t have asterisks).

The last four numbers identify the date of manufacture of the tyre to the nearest week. That is, the first two digits represent the week of manufacture, while the last two digits represents the year of manufacture.

So, in this case (*4708*), the tyre was manufactured on the 47th week in 2008.
Thus, the expiry date would be the 47th week of 2012 ( that is, 4 years from date of manufacture)
So with this knowledge, and for safety purpose, it is important for us to regularly check on our vehicle tyres.

Source: https://naijadriva./2019/12/03/how-to-tell-if-your-car-tyres-are-expired/

lalasticlala, Mynd44, marpol, mukina2, fynestboi

No 1.

The reason tires are not branded with expiry dates is because there is no scientific method to proof that a tire expires in 4years of any particular period. 2 tires made in the same day, same factory, same material, same process will experience degradation differently according to several factors. These factors are running temperature, pressure, weight and the mechanical factors of the car it is installed on to name a few. For this reason, only the production date is made available for the tire user to make an estimate depending on the conditions of use.

Because of this reason tires donot expire in 4years. Several research puts it at 3-8years. FRSC is just putting up an advice to ignorant motorist. I have seen a Chinko tire expire in 2years.

When tire expires, it starts breaking down, cracking, and when you wash the tire with a brush, it stains the tire black and the water will be stained black too.

No 2.
FRSC Offences & Penalties have nothing related to tire expiry because they cannot proof it either even in the court of law. The only infringement they have related to tires is "DRIVING WITH WORN-OUT TYRE OR WITHOUT SPARE TYRE".

See below what a worn out tire is legally.

34 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Are Expired by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:06am On Dec 04, 2019
More info to buttress the OP's points.......

The date your tyres were made will be on the sidewall in the form of four numbers usually preceded by the letters DOT. These numbers represent the week number and year, so 3410 will be week 34, 2010. Use that information to make sure you're buying tyres with the longest shelf life possible.

When buying new tires, ask for the newest tires available, and look at the tire’s manufacture date. The manufacture date is a Department of Transportation (DOT) code of 10 or 11 characters embossed on the inside of the tire (see Figure 1). For new tires, the code is always 11 characters. However, tires manufactured before the year 2000 have a 10-character code. Expiration dates for tires manufactured before 2000 were based on a 10-year scale because the expected life-span of a tire was 10 years. Current guidance suggests that tires should be expected to last a maximum of only six years.

From all of us @ : DRIVE SAFELY Everyone, especially as the year ends.

Cheers!
wink

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Are Expired by ijewejones: 8:08am On Dec 04, 2019
When or what time do you actually grill your dead meats?

post=84607780:
Very good thread

19 Likes

Re: How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Are Expired by fidet1(m): 8:08am On Dec 04, 2019
How many Nigerians fit afford new tyres?

4 Likes

Re: How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Are Expired by adesegun121(m): 8:08am On Dec 04, 2019
Nice one
Re: How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Are Expired by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:09am On Dec 04, 2019
ijewejones:

When or what time do you actually grill?
Awwwww, he cares so much for @ ooo.

Meanwhile, Shut up and concentrate on the thread Mr Jew.
If you have nothing positive to input on the thread...
Log off.
Becareful about Rule 1 of the forum.
Be guided!

@Topic

The date your tyres were made will be on the sidewall in the form of four numbers usually preceded by the letters DOT. These numbers represent the week number and year, so 3410 will be week 34, 2010. Use that information to make sure you're buying tyres with the longest shelf life possible.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Are Expired by seniormallam(m): 8:09am On Dec 04, 2019
For naija, the only way to know is when the tyre start tearing, when the tyre is tokunbo , check wetin,
Re: How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Are Expired by berrystunn(m): 8:10am On Dec 04, 2019
I know
Re: How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Are Expired by mv53ver: 8:10am On Dec 04, 2019
LET US BE IN TOUCH TODAY IF YOU WANT A WEBSITE FOR YOUR BUSINESS OR IDEA

www.nairaland.com/attachments/10671789_sryuyuij_pngc6dc57f45f41da33df6b3b4ea6257782

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Are Expired by Hoodbilonia: 8:10am On Dec 04, 2019
Who get that time. Pot holes go make your tyres quick expire. When u hear billing for brand new tyres. My guy u go drink beer on top tokunbo tyre. ,lodge for hotel,carry woman.
One thing i am sure of that you can never miss in naija.
Mirage pot holes. Dem just dey everywhere like flies.
Na winter tyres we all dey use for here.
We just dont recycle,manufacture nothing.
If its not fake new tyres
Its UK used
Michelin that year.
Naija don off

3 Likes

Re: How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Are Expired by ijewejones: 8:10am On Dec 04, 2019
My question is simple to answer & it won't be as stewpid as you'll remain for life..dead meat griller

post=84607840:
Shut up and concentrate on the thread Mr Jew

3 Likes

Re: How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Are Expired by joyandfaith: 8:12am On Dec 04, 2019
adanny01:

No 1.

The reason tires are not branded with expiry dates is because there is no scientific method to proof that a tire expires in 4years of any particular period. 2 tires made in the same day, same factory, same material, same process will experience degradation differently according to several factors. These factors are running temperature, pressure, weight and the mechanical factors of the car it is installed on to name a few. For this reason, only the production date is made available for the tire user to make an estimate depending on the conditions of use.

Because of this reason tires donot expire in 4years. Several research puts it at 3-8years. FRSC is just putting up an advice to ignorant motorist. I have seen a Chinko tire expire in 2years.

When tire expires, it starts breaking down, cracking, and when you wash the tire with a brush, it stains the tire black and the water will be stained black too.

No 2.
FRSC Offences & Penalties have nothing related to tire expiry because they cannot proof it either even in the court of law. The only infringement they have related to tires is "DRIVING WITH WORN-OUT TYRE OR WITHOUT SPARE TYRE".

See below what a worn out tire is legally.

100000000 likes

https://www.michelin.com.my/auto/tips-and-advice/when-should-i-change-my-car-tyres

even michelin does not say tires expire.

3 Likes

Re: How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Are Expired by bluefilm: 8:15am On Dec 04, 2019
fidet1:

But they can afford to buy brand new coffins and throw colorful burial ceremonies, abi? undecided

Nonsense. angry

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Are Expired by ednut1(m): 8:16am On Dec 04, 2019
They get worn out not expire. The dates are for warranty purposes
Re: How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Are Expired by Nobody: 8:17am On Dec 04, 2019
ijewejones:

When or what time do you actually grill?

if u use ur time to concentrate about ur life, u for don make ur mama proud by now, instead u carry aunty manna put 4 head like gala. jobless pikin
Re: How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Are Expired by lonelydora: 8:18am On Dec 04, 2019
Ok
Re: How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Are Expired by Josh44s(m): 8:21am On Dec 04, 2019
fidet1:

Buying of brand new tyres ain’t easy but it’s the best thing any car owner do to prevent a lot, especially fatal accidents. I recently bought 4 brand new 225/16R MAXXI. Omo nor be beans o. I spent roughly 92k

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Are Expired by Xano(m): 8:23am On Dec 04, 2019
Good info
Re: How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Are Expired by chapmanapr: 8:25am On Dec 04, 2019
Very educative post. Thanks op
Re: How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Are Expired by IbadanNews: 8:35am On Dec 04, 2019
Thank you... going to check now. How do I know an original tyre?
Re: How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Are Expired by ately1(m): 8:35am On Dec 04, 2019
IMPRESSIVE

CHRISTMAS DON REACH

CHECK MY SIGNATURE
Re: How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Are Expired by wamide042(m): 8:35am On Dec 04, 2019
My car gat brand new tires..... i guess the oyinbo guy wey use am for US just changed the tires before he changed it.....
The honda just had a minor accident from the rear....
when it landed i took it to ladipo...
Re: How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Are Expired by Scamperlee(m): 8:39am On Dec 04, 2019
Kindly download and listen to my latest gyration song titled "Oshomo" by Scamper.
http://www.naijapals.com/music/Oshomo_Scamper-103031
https://clyp.it/3t14rlrm
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/id1481739290
Re: How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Are Expired by Dinirojones(m): 8:44am On Dec 04, 2019
Josh44s:

Buying of brand new tyres ain’t easy but it’s the best thing any car owner do to prevent a lot, especially fatal accidents. I recently bought 4 brand new 225/16R MAXXI. Omo nor be beans o. I spent roughly 92k
maxxi nd Yokohama tires are expensive tho ....recently bought two double king tires for my Toyota Highlander for 19k each ..... e nor easy to maintain cars walahi

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Wrangler Releases Mini-Me Jeep / 21 Car Maintenance Tips That Will Make Your Car Last Longer / 5 Most Popular Car Brands In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.