Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,812 members, 7,851,725 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 06:35 AM

Police/Youth Clash: Governor Obaseki Compensates Families Of Slain Driver ₦10m - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Police/Youth Clash: Governor Obaseki Compensates Families Of Slain Driver ₦10m (686 Views)

Wike Compensates Victims Of 2019 Election Violence With N450 Million / RRS Compensates Officers For Patrolling Till Dawn Over Fallen Truck (photos) / Obaseki Visits Family Of Slain Driver, Sets Up N10m Fund For His Kids (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Police/Youth Clash: Governor Obaseki Compensates Families Of Slain Driver ₦10m by Nobody: 5:48pm On Feb 09, 2018
Police/Youth clash: Obaseki visits family of slain driver, sets up N10m education fund for children

…assures relatives of proper investigation, justice

Edo State Governor, Mr. Godwin Obaseki has set up a N10 million education fund for the training of two children of late David Okoniba, whose death was allegedly caused by an exchange with a police officer at Upper Igun, Third Junction area of Benin City, the Edo State capital.

Obaseki disclosed this when he led some members of his cabinet on a condolence visit to the family of the deceased at Urora community, in Benin city.

The governor said he was at the victim’s home to assure his relatives that the government of Edo State share in their grief, assuring them that those culpable in the killing will be brought to book.

“I am here today to get the details of what happened. Listening to you, I am heartbroken. I can feel your pain and appreciate your pain and anger. I want to assure the family that the case will not be swept under the carpet.

“It will be followed to a logical conclusion as a reputable retired Judge of Edo State High Court, Justice Olubo has been selected to head the panel of enquiry which will investigate what truly happened on the said date of the incident that led to the death and consequent fracas between the youths and the police,” he said.

According to him, “I learnt that the deceased has two children. I have released N10 million fund to be used for their education, to reduce the pain of the absence of their father and ensure their education does not suffer much because of this incident.”

Obaseki also assured the family that government will support in the burial of late David Okoniba and advised the family to take the wife of the deceased to the hospital for medical attention at government expense, as she was still traumatised from the incident.

Earlier, Spokesperson for the family, Mrs. Aremu Roseline, expressed appreciation to the governor and the state for the visit to the family, noting that the presence of the governor has given them hope for justice.

She also thanked the Commissioner of Police, Mr Johnson Kokumo, who visited the family and showed concern over the death of David, thanking him for promising to get to the root of the mater.

“We appeal to the governor Mr. Godwin Obaseki to help the family ensure David gets Justice. His death must not be in vain as he was the pillar of the family. He had two children and his formal wedding was to be in two-weeks' time. His wife who was an eyewitness of the incident is psychologically affected and seriously traumatised,” she added.

Source: http://mandynews.com/2018/02/09/obaseki-visits-family-of-slain-driver/

Re: Police/Youth Clash: Governor Obaseki Compensates Families Of Slain Driver ₦10m by madridguy(m): 5:50pm On Feb 09, 2018
Nice one Obaseki. Wish Baba did same to the families of the genocide victims in Benue.
Re: Police/Youth Clash: Governor Obaseki Compensates Families Of Slain Driver ₦10m by Nobody: 5:50pm On Feb 09, 2018
lalasticlala Md44

This guy tho? cry

Re: Police/Youth Clash: Governor Obaseki Compensates Families Of Slain Driver ₦10m by georjay(m): 6:04pm On Feb 09, 2018
heeyah
Re: Police/Youth Clash: Governor Obaseki Compensates Families Of Slain Driver ₦10m by Flexherbal(m): 6:06pm On Feb 09, 2018
madridguy:
Nice one Obaseki. Wish Baba did same to the families of the genocide victims in Benue.

It is better we look for ways to prevent such occurrence than to be giving out money, after it has happened.
Re: Police/Youth Clash: Governor Obaseki Compensates Families Of Slain Driver ₦10m by madridguy(m): 6:07pm On Feb 09, 2018
Don't get you sir.

Flexherbal:

It is better we
Re: Police/Youth Clash: Governor Obaseki Compensates Families Of Slain Driver ₦10m by madridguy(m): 6:11pm On Feb 09, 2018
My guy na death we dey talk about. Who knows the role the dead driver dey play for family. I wish we have jungle justice in our system to curb the criminal act of our police. They don too turned many children to orphan.

CollinsWeGlobe:
lalasticlala Md44

Why is this guy crying like this? grin
Re: Police/Youth Clash: Governor Obaseki Compensates Families Of Slain Driver ₦10m by buhariguy(m): 6:17pm On Feb 09, 2018
madridguy:
how many state will buhari visit in week.
Or did buhari pay condolence visit to this guy in Edo state?

They is one incidence everyday in every state.
That means buhari will be moving from one state to another everyday

1 Like

Re: Police/Youth Clash: Governor Obaseki Compensates Families Of Slain Driver ₦10m by Nobody: 6:18pm On Feb 09, 2018
madridguy:
My guy na death we dey talk about. Who knows the role the dead driver dey play for family. I wish we have jungle justice in our system to curb the criminal act of our police. They don too turned many children to orphan.

You are right BIG bro.
Re: Police/Youth Clash: Governor Obaseki Compensates Families Of Slain Driver ₦10m by madridguy(m): 6:25pm On Feb 09, 2018
Let no argue with one another my co patriot, the fact still stand, PMB no do well. I believe he's traveling by air and not by road. Close to 100 people shocked not 100 chicken sir. We are all human, his visitation won't resurrect back the dead one but it will surely make the good people of Benue State that their president cares about them.

buhariguy:
how many state will buhari visit in week.
Or did buhari pay condolence visit to this guy in Edo state?
Re: Police/Youth Clash: Governor Obaseki Compensates Families Of Slain Driver ₦10m by Mynd44: 6:35pm On Feb 09, 2018
Re: Police/Youth Clash: Governor Obaseki Compensates Families Of Slain Driver ₦10m by buhariguy(m): 8:23pm On Feb 09, 2018
madridguy:
Let no argue with one another my co patriot, the fact still stand, PMB no do well. I believe he's traveling by air and not by road. Close to 100 people shocked not 100 chicken sir. We are all human, his visitation won't resurrect back the dead one but it will surely make the good people of Benue State that their president cares about them.

you know presidential visit is different from state.
You can't just jump into any state without a proper planning like a month,

And the nasarawa state visit were since 3 months ago.

Beside, the way and manner ortom were talking is not encouraging for buhari to be there within the shortest time

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Jagaban. / 6 People Killed As Landslide Hit Nigeria / Buhari And Lies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.