Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,793 members, 7,824,313 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 08:03 AM

Why Buhari Is Delaying Cabinet Expansion - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Buhari Is Delaying Cabinet Expansion (12209 Views)

2023: Why PDP Is Delaying Zoning Of Presidential Ticket / Why FG Is Delaying In Hiking Fuel Price – Reno Omokri / Forces Pushing For Candidates Ahead Of Buhari’s Cabinet Expansion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Buhari Is Delaying Cabinet Expansion by Islie: 1:17pm On Feb 10, 2018
By Ismail Mudashir, Isiaka Wakili & Musa Abdullahi Krishi 

he delay in expanding the federal cabinet by President Muhammadu Buhari 100 days after he made the disclosure has been traced to five factors, sources close to the president have said.

Sources at the Presidency, National Assembly and the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) say as soon the factors are addressed, names of nominees would be forwarded to the Senate for confirmation.

The president disclosed his intention to expand the cabinet on October 31 last year during the National Executive Committee (NEC) meeting of the APC.

Buhari who described the council as compressed, pledged to accommodate more supporters and inject fresh ideas into the cabinet following an improvement in the country’s economy.

However, 100 days after that, nothing has been heard on the subject, and no letter has been transmitted to the Senate in this regard.

Fear of backlash

The first reason for the delay, according to Presidency and Senate sources, is the fear of a backlash that would arise since it would lead to the sack of some of the current ministers.

A Presidency source who doesn’t want to be named said: “The president is in a tight corner because automatically any minister he drops at this period when everybody is preoccupied with election matters, becomes his enemy.

“Whether you like it or not, the minsters, including those initially considered as novices in politics, have attained a high degree of popularity in their respective states. They are now stakeholders that you need to reckon with.”

Corroborating this view, a senate source said despite the shortcomings of some of the ministers, they have created a sort of an ‘empire’.

Presidency: Buhari will act at his own time

But in an official response, the president’s Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Mr. Femi Adesina, said Nigerians should wait until Buhari expands his cabinet as promised. He said in an interview with our correspondent yesterday that Buhari was not forced to make that promise.

“When a president has said he would do something, the onus is on us to wait until he does it, particularly when that president is not a frivolous person. We know that President Buhari is painstaking, and nobody forced him to come out to say that he was going to expand the cabinet,” he said.

Budget defence

However, other sources attributed the delay to the ongoing budget defence at the National Assembly.  President Buhari had on November 7 last year presented the 2018 budget proposal to the lawmakers.

The presentation was done a week after the president declared his intention to expand the cabinet. The sources said the president was of the view that since the proposals were made by the present set of ministers, they should be allowed to finish defending it at the National Assembly. 

An APC senator faulted the link to budget defence, describing it as blackmail and lie. He said it was the nature of the government to act at a snail pace.

“It is the nature of the government epitomized by the president. That’s the way he does his things, very slow. You can’t change him. Remember how long it took him to release the board appointments and yet you see the embarrassment that we were exposed to,” he said.

The lawmaker said the earlier, the better for the president to expand the cabinet for him to appease aggrieved party echelons.

Lack of funds

Another reason adduced for the delay is lack of funds for implementing the expansion. A lawmaker close to the  president said the delay was as result of lack of allocation for the expansion.

“You aware that the cabinet expansion will lead to the creation of new ministries to accommodate the new ministers that will be appointed. The president wants each of the ministers to have a portfolio. But the unfortunate thing is that funding of the additional ministries was not captured in 2017 budget which is being implemented,” he said. However, one of his colleagues described the argument as weak, saying   the president during his announcement of the expansion said funds to accommodate more cabinet members was available.

Weekly FEC briefing

The newly introduced weekly briefing at Federal Executive Council (FEC) meetings by ministers is said to be another factor delaying the expansion.

Since last month, ministers have been, during the weekly FEC meetings, giving accounts of how their ministries utilised the funds received so far.  This is believed to be one of the major ways the president is assessing the performance of his ministers with a view to arriving at the best way of reshuffling the cabinet. Until this process is completed, it was gathered, new ministerial nominations may not be announced.

Bola Tinubu’ reconciliation team

Party sources said the appointment of Asiwaju Bola Tinubu by the president to lead his reconciliation team may further delay the cabinet expansion.

One of the sources said though the grudge of Tinubu on ministerial appointments is being addressed by the president, aggrieved stakeholders won’t hesitate to raise the issue as it affects them when the reconciliation exercise commences.

“I’m sure in the course of Tinubu’s reconciliation work the issue of ministerial appointments will come up. Saraki, Kwankawso, Wamakko and all those who played key roles in 2015 were not consulted  when the ministers were appointed in 2015. Nominees were picked from their states without their input,” one of the sources said.

No longer an issue

Another source close to the presidency said nobody is even talking about the issue anymore.

“Initially, it was like a talk of the town in the party, but I can tell you that nobody even talks or cares about it now. I can’t really say what’s happening to the issue,” he said.

A member of the Board of Trustees (BOT) of the APC blamed the president for the delay, saying, “As a leader you can’t just make such a serious statement when you are not prepared.

“Is it that after making that statement he was asked not to do the expansion again? It is just like when you tell me that you are going to Kaduna and I see you somewhere else. Having taken him six months to constitute the first executive council, it may take him similar time to expand the cabinet. The question is; what is his habit as to decision making? Go- slow,” he said.

https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/why-buhari-is-delaying-cabinet-expansion.html

lalasticlala
Re: Why Buhari Is Delaying Cabinet Expansion by madridguy(m): 1:19pm On Feb 10, 2018
Brb
Re: Why Buhari Is Delaying Cabinet Expansion by 2cato: 1:20pm On Feb 10, 2018
This are the kind of gist we usually gist in bee palour
Rubbish and clownish people people
Let us drink beer and be merry

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Buhari Is Delaying Cabinet Expansion by Omeokachie: 2:53pm On Feb 10, 2018
To Buhari, 1,000 days is like 1 day.
Keep hope Alive. He will do it on the eve of his return back to Daura.

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Buhari Is Delaying Cabinet Expansion by aolawale025: 3:08pm On Feb 10, 2018
Indecision is just part and parcel of this government

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Buhari Is Delaying Cabinet Expansion by Narldon: 5:10pm On Feb 10, 2018

He wants to add More Cows to the "COWbinet" cabinet ..

27 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Buhari Is Delaying Cabinet Expansion by acunon: 5:10pm On Feb 10, 2018
Baba must go back to daura

The only thing he knows is.......

Check the link before for more exciting offer.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Buhari Is Delaying Cabinet Expansion by Nairalandmentor(m): 5:11pm On Feb 10, 2018
Really
Re: Why Buhari Is Delaying Cabinet Expansion by Nobody: 5:11pm On Feb 10, 2018
I BELIEVE IN MY PRESIDENT.

GOD BLESS PMB.
GOD BLESS NIGERIA.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Buhari Is Delaying Cabinet Expansion by Frankbaro(m): 5:12pm On Feb 10, 2018
Delaying Fulani expansion. Buhari the bigot

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Buhari Is Delaying Cabinet Expansion by Nigeriadondie: 5:12pm On Feb 10, 2018
undecided Oh my God, we should be talking of reducing our already bloated useless positions for which nothing meaningful will ever be achieved. Now they are talking of expanding it. No wonder our recurrent expenditure is more than double of capital expenditure.

If we had it the other way round, an increased capital expenditure would guarantee job creation, wealth redistribution, improved infrastructure and deliver good living standards to all. Sadly, this same trend is present in all the budgets of all the 36 states. What is so annoying is that even a large part of the money frim the meagre capital expenditure would be embezzled. Even if some projects are executed it would either be half done or not up to specification, no trasparent award of contracts among others.

Doomed nation beyond redemption.

4 Likes

Re: Why Buhari Is Delaying Cabinet Expansion by cremedelacreme: 5:13pm On Feb 10, 2018
Story.
All I know is that Buhari is a dullard . Get your PVC's, we're sending him back to Daura next year.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Buhari Is Delaying Cabinet Expansion by dlondonbadboy: 5:14pm On Feb 10, 2018
LOL.
It breaks my heart that some people still believe in Buhari. Nigerians are very patient people, but Buhari has removed every iota of trust we had in him.

BabaGoHoe.

My work here is done..

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Buhari Is Delaying Cabinet Expansion by Duru009(m): 5:15pm On Feb 10, 2018
Baba go slow !
Re: Why Buhari Is Delaying Cabinet Expansion by kestolove95(m): 5:17pm On Feb 10, 2018
buhari till 2023
Re: Why Buhari Is Delaying Cabinet Expansion by sayyid(m): 5:18pm On Feb 10, 2018
instead of expanding he should just reshuffle the cabinet, inject new bloods with fresh brain, new ideas so as to move the nation forward.
Re: Why Buhari Is Delaying Cabinet Expansion by valentineuwakwe(m): 5:18pm On Feb 10, 2018
imagine this government...are we talking of cabinet expansion or cabinet reshufflement? when new people are needed to inject new ideas into this govt and we are hear saying let's expand the number of ministers....why must we turn everything to politics and personal gains....imagine the list that was given as the delay in the said cabinet expansion.....this country really have a long way to go...baba God abeg help this nation!
Re: Why Buhari Is Delaying Cabinet Expansion by emmasege: 5:20pm On Feb 10, 2018
Does President Buhari have any sense of urgency?

Little wonder he's been a failure in family as well as in private and public life.

Buhari, a collosal failure.
Re: Why Buhari Is Delaying Cabinet Expansion by firo08(m): 5:24pm On Feb 10, 2018
Empty vessels
Re: Why Buhari Is Delaying Cabinet Expansion by QueenDeborah(f): 5:31pm On Feb 10, 2018
Clueless motherf**ker

Re: Why Buhari Is Delaying Cabinet Expansion by MisterSols(m): 5:33pm On Feb 10, 2018
Okay

God bless Nigeria

Re: Why Buhari Is Delaying Cabinet Expansion by rasco2000me: 5:33pm On Feb 10, 2018
modelmike7:
I BELIEVE IN MY PRESIDENT.

GOD BLESS PMB.
GOD BLESS NIGERIA.
it is only an intelligent people dat can understand d situation in d country not a beggar like you who believe in doing rakadede to the rich

2 Likes

Re: Why Buhari Is Delaying Cabinet Expansion by Favourcharles23(f): 5:50pm On Feb 10, 2018
I remember Buhari saying Jonathan's ministers and ministries are to much that he has to reduce them to save cost now he is saying they are too compressed that he wants to expand them. My people, please try as much as possible to get your pvc, this old man has to retire in 2019

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Buhari Is Delaying Cabinet Expansion by MetalJigsaw(m): 6:02pm On Feb 10, 2018
kestolove95:
buhari till 2023
Bia, mind yourself o!

1 Like

Re: Why Buhari Is Delaying Cabinet Expansion by blaqoracle: 6:03pm On Feb 10, 2018
acunon:
Baba must go back to daura

The only thing he knows is.......

Check the link before for more exciting offer.
go and look for nnamdi kanu and leave baba alone.
Re: Why Buhari Is Delaying Cabinet Expansion by Nobody: 7:16pm On Feb 10, 2018
this is super story! ..........

The dumb and daft nomad is simply clueless!
Re: Why Buhari Is Delaying Cabinet Expansion by Nobody: 7:16pm On Feb 10, 2018
this is super story! ..........

The dumb and daft nomad is simply clueless!
Re: Why Buhari Is Delaying Cabinet Expansion by sanerugwei: 8:04pm On Feb 10, 2018
Super story..
Can anything good come out of this clownish and clannish gofment.

More time should be spent in expanding their handover note.. They have tried..time to leave the stage for new blood with fresh ideas.
Time for digital leadership.
Re: Why Buhari Is Delaying Cabinet Expansion by mommaJ(f): 8:28pm On Feb 10, 2018
GOOD DAY NAIRALANDERS.I M STILL HERE...DONT GIVE UP ON ME YET. https://www.nairaland.com/4312232/husbanda-good-man-help#64524181
Re: Why Buhari Is Delaying Cabinet Expansion by tk4rd: 10:51am On Feb 11, 2018
Ok shaa.
He always liked taking his time in everything he does.
So, let him continue

(1) (Reply)

EFCC Charges NBA President With N1.4bn Fraud / FG Budgets ₦104 Billion To Maintain, Purchase Generators In 2022 / Kwankwaso, Galadima, Others’ Third Force Vows To Dislodge APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.