Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,876 members, 7,813,983 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:22 PM

Nigeria Spends N14,000 Daily To Feed Each Prisoner – Minister - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Spends N14,000 Daily To Feed Each Prisoner – Minister (5466 Views)

Nigeria Spends N120bn Annually To Keep Refineries Idle ― Petroleum Engineers / Femi Fani-Kayode: 'My Wife Has Abducted Me And Kept Me As A Prisoner In A Hotel' / Nigeria Spends $5bn On Generators Annually (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Spends N14,000 Daily To Feed Each Prisoner – Minister by Ratello: 4:37am On Feb 11, 2018
Nigeria spends N14,000 daily to feed each prisoner – Minister

Nigerian government is annually spending N10billion for feeding of prisoners in the country, minister of Interior, AbdurRahman Dambazau has said.

With the country’s estimated prison population of 57,000, the government is roughly spending N14,000 for a three-square meal of each prisoner per day.

Speaking at a town hall meeting in Kaduna on Tuesday, Mr Dambazau said his ministry is searching inward to see how it can harness some revenue sources in the sector to complement government’s efforts.

“It is unacceptable for government to be commiting N10 billion every year on feeding of prison inmates,” Mr Dambazau said.

However, while defending the 2018 budget, before the members of the Senate Committee on Interior, the Comptroller-General of the Nigerian Prisons Service, Ahmed Ja’afaru, stated that N17 billion was allocated for feeding which is to spread across 244 prisons.

In a reaction, Senator Chukwuka Utazi decried the little budgetary allocation given to prisoners in the country which he had noticed over time.

Senator Utazi noted that the treatment given to the prison inmates “would make them gradually become a menace” when they are eventually released into the society.

“In 2015, I told the former CG about this because I over see also the human rights and we go to prisons and we see these things ourselves. I raised this issue of prison food ration. It is a serious issue that I think if you get it right; it would help a whole lot of things,” Utazi said.

“You have 17 billion here spread across 244 prisons. It is 244 with all the population there and we have 17 billion, I want to find out, what is the present ration per head,” the Enugu state lawmaker asked.

The Comptroller-General explained that the N300 was for the actual meal and N150 is expended on cooking.

Irked by his response, Senator Utazi called for a review of the allocation for feeding for prisoners.

“450 for one day? For an adult? Mr. Chairman, this is outrageous. This is unacceptable, unthinkable and unheard of. This committee will not be a party to this kind of budget. It is totally embarrassing that adults that you send to the prison, they have 300 meals. Is it for a baby or for who?

“I feel that we are getting it wrong. That is part of the problem we are having in the country. You send people to go and be reformed, they come out hardened and they become a menace t our society.”

He said: “Mr. chairman, I feel that you are going to take this thing up on our behalf to get to the budget office. The minister of planning and this thing has to be reviewed. Today, in most of the prisons are at the mercy of benevolent people who send food to prison inmates and I don’t know how many of them are out there doing such.

“This is for 2017, we are yet to get to 2018 and see what they are just doing here. I am of the opinion that we have a total review. Anything that is not in the neighbourhood of giving this people minimum of 500 per meal is not acceptable.

“In a day N1,500 per inmate. These are human beings and our brothers. Yes, they are deviants but they remain our brothers and we want them to come out unless you want them to remain in the prison forever. There is no way the federal republic of Nigeria should be budgeting N450 per head,” he added.

The committee also the queried the printing of Nigerian passport outside the country by the Immigration Service.

https://dailynigerian.com/news/nigeria-spends-n14000-daily-to-feed-each-prisoner-minister/amp/

Cc: Lalasticlala

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Spends N14,000 Daily To Feed Each Prisoner – Minister by Desyner: 4:48am On Feb 11, 2018
What does the average prisoner contribute to the system?
I don't think feeding a prisoner with N1,500/day is fair to tax paying Nigerians who earn N30,000/month to cover feeding, transport, medical, housing e.t.c.
Even the current amount is being cornered by national-cake eaters.

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Spends N14,000 Daily To Feed Each Prisoner – Minister by fuckingAyaya(m): 5:01am On Feb 11, 2018
Lies

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Spends N14,000 Daily To Feed Each Prisoner – Minister by Yankee101: 5:03am On Feb 11, 2018
Lol hear lies. Those people don't eat up to 50naira food per day. Do you see how skinny they are?

11 Likes

Re: Nigeria Spends N14,000 Daily To Feed Each Prisoner – Minister by Ratello: 5:06am On Feb 11, 2018
This mad man with Samanja moustache should be the worst minister in this worthless government of Baboons led by Buhari, just imagine this demonic lies peddled against these hapless souls. If only any one here had seen a newly released Nigerian prison inmates you will shed tears for days and continually curse this beast called Dambazzau

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria Spends N14,000 Daily To Feed Each Prisoner – Minister by WisdomFlakes: 5:09am On Feb 11, 2018
Yeah, right. That means they must be feeding them Chinese fried rice & chicken with chilled wine daily be dat. How many Nigerians walking freely spend that much to feed weekly sef, not to talk of daily?? They might as well lockup the rest of the population so they can get their share of the 14k daily. undecided

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Spends N14,000 Daily To Feed Each Prisoner – Minister by Olalan(m): 5:20am On Feb 11, 2018
Our leaders have taken us all for fools, hence they lie to our faces cause they assume we are all dumb. 14k daily on malnourished prisoners in Nija is a lie even a blind person knows.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Spends N14,000 Daily To Feed Each Prisoner – Minister by ojun50(m): 5:32am On Feb 11, 2018
Another big lie for Sunday morning

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Spends N14,000 Daily To Feed Each Prisoner – Minister by dunkem21(m): 5:32am On Feb 11, 2018
These people just take us as fools angry

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Spends N14,000 Daily To Feed Each Prisoner – Minister by Nobody: 5:35am On Feb 11, 2018
Is the money for feeding the prisoners or contractors to the prison service undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Spends N14,000 Daily To Feed Each Prisoner – Minister by princeade86(m): 5:37am On Feb 11, 2018
Buhari Back to Daura. BBA
Re: Nigeria Spends N14,000 Daily To Feed Each Prisoner – Minister by dingbang(m): 5:41am On Feb 11, 2018
Then allow private sector to handle operations of prisons

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Spends N14,000 Daily To Feed Each Prisoner – Minister by NothingDoMe: 5:41am On Feb 11, 2018
Desyner:
I don't think feeding a prisoner with N1,500/day is fair to tax paying Nigerians who earn N30,000/month to cover feeding, transport, medical, housing e.t.c.
Cause it is Nigeria. The corruption fighting baba will not see this one

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Spends N14,000 Daily To Feed Each Prisoner – Minister by Dronedude(m): 5:55am On Feb 11, 2018
Oga Minister, you see this lie ehn. Even devil dey respect am.

Lie mohammed indeed is your colleague.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Spends N14,000 Daily To Feed Each Prisoner – Minister by orisa37: 6:03am On Feb 11, 2018
Corruption. Bring it down to N200 per day.
Re: Nigeria Spends N14,000 Daily To Feed Each Prisoner – Minister by highmood(m): 6:17am On Feb 11, 2018
These ministers or rather govt officials can lie. #14,000 to feed each prisoners daily? lipsrsealed and at the end they look like an AIDS patient when released. Liars everywhere.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Spends N14,000 Daily To Feed Each Prisoner – Minister by awakeupcall4all(m): 6:24am On Feb 11, 2018
The CG Prison - Northern Muslim
The CG Immigration - Northern Muslim
The CG Custom - Northern Muslim
The CG Civil Defense Corp - Northern Muslim(Niger State)
The IG Police - Northern Muslim(Niger State)
And all this under the office of Interior Minister - Northern Muslim

So where then is the checks and balances?
That is a first in Nigeria history and you can only get that when you have an accursed goblin parading himself as a president!

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Spends N14,000 Daily To Feed Each Prisoner – Minister by purem(m): 6:26am On Feb 11, 2018
Lying to protect his interest.

Nigeria prisoners that use to eat half done beans

Even the beans in a plate you can even pick them out to count them and leave alots of water in the plate.

My 2days in prison was a hell angry
Re: Nigeria Spends N14,000 Daily To Feed Each Prisoner – Minister by anibirelawal(m): 6:29am On Feb 11, 2018
I see, No wonder that prisoners looks so fresh & well kept, like someone that just came back from Yanky for a long holiday.

grin
Re: Nigeria Spends N14,000 Daily To Feed Each Prisoner – Minister by dkronicle(m): 6:32am On Feb 11, 2018
I just want God to punish these liars that are not putting efforts on their lies to get us convinced. haba which kine lie b dis.
Re: Nigeria Spends N14,000 Daily To Feed Each Prisoner – Minister by Nobody: 6:35am On Feb 11, 2018
They should treat prisoners right jare. Please guys how much does the Nigerian Prison Service pay a Bsc graduate?
Re: Nigeria Spends N14,000 Daily To Feed Each Prisoner – Minister by haryorbarmie83(m): 6:39am On Feb 11, 2018
Can this lies be truth.
Re: Nigeria Spends N14,000 Daily To Feed Each Prisoner – Minister by GMBuhari: 6:47am On Feb 11, 2018
P ?Whoever runs nigerian prison system should be in Prisons by now

i doubt they spend upto 1k on prisoners daily

this 14k figure is a big fat lie
Re: Nigeria Spends N14,000 Daily To Feed Each Prisoner – Minister by rotwailler(m): 6:50am On Feb 11, 2018
Hmmm 14k per day nah prison yard never full reach gate?Oga minister
Re: Nigeria Spends N14,000 Daily To Feed Each Prisoner – Minister by AAlozie(m): 7:16am On Feb 11, 2018
He means 14k per year

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Spends N14,000 Daily To Feed Each Prisoner – Minister by Nobody: 7:34am On Feb 11, 2018
Subtract N500 from the N14,000. Those malnourished prisoners don’t eat anything close to N600 meal per day in the prisons. Those who survive do so because of occasional meals and treats from relatives, NGOs and religious organisations.

They should account for the N13,500 that get siphoned into heaven knows where.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Spends N14,000 Daily To Feed Each Prisoner – Minister by Omeokachie: 7:43am On Feb 11, 2018
They now eat buffet in Nigerian prisons under Buhari

Re: Nigeria Spends N14,000 Daily To Feed Each Prisoner – Minister by FarahAideed: 7:48am On Feb 11, 2018
Even the Average American does not spend 14 thousand Naira a day to feed himself

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Spends N14,000 Daily To Feed Each Prisoner – Minister by Beremx(f): 7:51am On Feb 11, 2018
lol na to turn prisoner be that nau! grin
Re: Nigeria Spends N14,000 Daily To Feed Each Prisoner – Minister by Nobody: 7:57am On Feb 11, 2018
Common sense! How can 14k feed a prisoner daily and the minimum wage in the country per month is 18k? Hahahahaha

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Spends N14,000 Daily To Feed Each Prisoner – Minister by ckmayoca: 8:01am On Feb 11, 2018
you people will tell lies now and when NLC demand for more for the tax payer, you will start saying something else. Nigeria can't spend 300 naira for a prisoner daily.
Re: Nigeria Spends N14,000 Daily To Feed Each Prisoner – Minister by olabrad: 8:01am On Feb 11, 2018
Desyner:
It will surprise you that more than 50% of that money goes into personal accounts of prison officials

(1) (2) (Reply)

Igbos Are Not Tribalists / Anambra Arrests 250 'illegal Revenue Collectors'- Official / Breaking News: Ovie Omoagege Is the one Using PDP to Stop Buhari NDDC Budget

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.