Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,529 members, 7,816,292 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:58 AM

Nigeria Spends $5bn On Generators Annually - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Spends $5bn On Generators Annually (18202 Views)

Nigeria Spends N120bn Annually To Keep Refineries Idle ― Petroleum Engineers / FG Seeks $5bn Chinese Loan For Mambilla Power Project / Breaking News:- India Offers Nigeria $5bn Line Of Credit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Spends $5bn On Generators Annually by swiz123(m): 8:53pm On Jul 18, 2017
The Speaker of House of Representatives, Mr Yakubu Dogara, said it was unacceptable that Nigerians spent five billion dollars on generators annually.

He said the house would support the Executive to find a permanent solution to the power problem in the country.
Dogara stated this on Tuesday in Abuja at the public hearing organized by the House of Representatives Committee on Power on three Bills pending before the lower chamber.

He explained that the lawmakers were reviewing some of Nigeria’s energy laws to provide appropriate legal framework that would facilitate the exploitation of renewable energy to the benefit of the economy.
According to him, power is arguably the single most important driver of the national economy.

“Indeed, it is difficult, if not impossible, to imagine modern life without power. Our industries and factories need electricity to operate, and also our offices, homes and businesses.

“It is estimated that Nigerians spend about five billion dollars yearly to fuel their generators.
“This is an unacceptable situation and the House of Representatives stands ready to support the Executive arm of government to put a stop to this state of affairs.
“Renewable energy is a source of clean energy which is environment-friendly and is crucial to the economy of the future.

“We can only be self-sufficient in the energy field when we combine all our energy resources such as wind, solar, hydro, bio-mass, bio-fuel, landfill, sewage gas, solid waste, geo-thermal energy, ocean energy among others.
“Renewable energy sources are natural and often replenish themselves. Nigeria needs to invest more in renewable energy as fossil fuel is a diminishing asset.
“An appropriate legal framework to exploit renewable energy which is nature’s gift to mankind is not adequate in Nigeria.

“This makes it difficult to organise the sector in a commercially viable matter. Herein lies the merit and strength of this Bill under consideration,” the speaker said.

Earlier, Chairman of the House Committee on Power, Rep. Daniel Effiong, had welcomed stakeholders and advised them to make inputs to enable the house to come out with enduring laws to grow the industry.
The House had at the inception of the 8th Assembly, committed itself to a Legislative Agenda (2015 – 2019) to devise “Legislative Initiative on Power”.

This was with a resolve that it “shall take legislative action to tackle Nigeria’s energy crisis that has led to a general collapse of industries and businesses and inflicted hardship on citizens.

“Legislative measures to support improved generation and distribution of electricity to homes and businesses will be encouraged”.

www.vanguardngr.com/2017/07/nigeria-spends-5bn-generators-annually/

Re: Nigeria Spends $5bn On Generators Annually by swiz123(m): 8:54pm On Jul 18, 2017
In a country where power supply is as poor as our president's health, what do you expect.
Wow! Ftc in my own post...i dedicate it to lalasticlala

24 Likes

Re: Nigeria Spends $5bn On Generators Annually by SalamRushdie: 8:58pm On Jul 18, 2017
Buhari couldn't add a single Mega watt to what he met

46 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Spends $5bn On Generators Annually by Caustics: 9:49pm On Jul 18, 2017
sad How did they arrive at that figure? undecided

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Spends $5bn On Generators Annually by signature2012(m): 9:49pm On Jul 18, 2017
Ok.
Re: Nigeria Spends $5bn On Generators Annually by EmekaBlue(m): 9:49pm On Jul 18, 2017
All hail Generator Republic of Africa aka Nigeria

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Spends $5bn On Generators Annually by YOLO1(m): 9:49pm On Jul 18, 2017
Ok
Re: Nigeria Spends $5bn On Generators Annually by 1N9a: 9:49pm On Jul 18, 2017
K
Re: Nigeria Spends $5bn On Generators Annually by Nobody: 9:49pm On Jul 18, 2017
Even Kenya enjoys stable electricity.

And y'all will open your big fat agbaya mouth and call yourselves "Giant of Africa".

Giant in under development maybe.

28 Likes

Re: Nigeria Spends $5bn On Generators Annually by 1N9a: 9:50pm On Jul 18, 2017
Kk
Re: Nigeria Spends $5bn On Generators Annually by AntiWailer: 9:50pm On Jul 18, 2017
Stupid Govt

Extremely foolish leaders.

Later they will blame MTN and DSTV for reaping us off.

Who powers a mast with Generator and Diesel ? angry

Buhari and his team of nincompoops can not just Give us Power and Fight corruption.

We don't need any other thing from them apart from those two.

The foolish masses will vote PDP back to power in 2019 and the same Atiku, Saraki will still be the bed rock of the party

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Spends $5bn On Generators Annually by ikwikwi: 9:50pm On Jul 18, 2017
Yes this true. Pls do something. Nigerians will be ever grateful.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Spends $5bn On Generators Annually by Bills2307(m): 9:50pm On Jul 18, 2017

26 Likes

Re: Nigeria Spends $5bn On Generators Annually by Camlot000007: 9:50pm On Jul 18, 2017
you are a nigerian, and you r still waiting for 24hrs electricity, tell urself is like waiting for flight at the seaport

9 Likes

Re: Nigeria Spends $5bn On Generators Annually by Flashh: 9:50pm On Jul 18, 2017
Favored the government.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Spends $5bn On Generators Annually by gentlechyke(m): 9:51pm On Jul 18, 2017
That Tekno's song 'Rara' comes to mind. Generator won tear my ear
Re: Nigeria Spends $5bn On Generators Annually by chukzyfcbb: 9:51pm On Jul 18, 2017
Okay we know Nigerians spend a lot on fueling their generating sets, so what are your people doing about it?

Abi you too want to wail like the masses?

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Spends $5bn On Generators Annually by LoveJesus87(m): 9:52pm On Jul 18, 2017
D
Re: Nigeria Spends $5bn On Generators Annually by aolawale025: 9:52pm On Jul 18, 2017
The generator and diesel cabal would not allow nepa to work

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Spends $5bn On Generators Annually by naijahut: 9:52pm On Jul 18, 2017
And so what? Because you nor get na Im make you dey complain abi?
Re: Nigeria Spends $5bn On Generators Annually by ademasta(m): 9:52pm On Jul 18, 2017
Ok
Re: Nigeria Spends $5bn On Generators Annually by Headlaw(m): 9:52pm On Jul 18, 2017
I'm tired of this country, I want to go back to my country, Ondo.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Spends $5bn On Generators Annually by tunjijones(m): 9:52pm On Jul 18, 2017
The amount we Nigerian spend on electricity is too high. I am still wondering why at 17yrs into 21st century a nation wld be finding it difficult to provide electricity to her citizen even after all d tax we pay. These are one of the reasons I support break up of the entity called Nigeria. I feel the country is too big for the politician to handle. What we gain in the large population is more than what we loose. Let the country break up to smaller country but not with war and not with one tribe insulting others. These politicians won't want the break up because of what they gain. The quarrels and insult shd not be within us the masses irrespective of the tribe, the fight shd be on the politicians. Pls don't insult me. I only voiced out my own opinion. It might be different from urs but dats not enof reason for u to insult me

22 Likes

Re: Nigeria Spends $5bn On Generators Annually by monakii: 9:52pm On Jul 18, 2017
Too bad, but not too late for us to do something. A better nigeria can only begin with better and constant power supply
Re: Nigeria Spends $5bn On Generators Annually by HQuadreal: 9:53pm On Jul 18, 2017
Yeeh moku.
9ja which way na.
Na wa oooooo.
Re: Nigeria Spends $5bn On Generators Annually by EmmaLege: 9:53pm On Jul 18, 2017
OMG lipsrsealed
Re: Nigeria Spends $5bn On Generators Annually by Nobody: 9:53pm On Jul 18, 2017
We can never hv stable Light
Re: Nigeria Spends $5bn On Generators Annually by Gobhanky: 9:53pm On Jul 18, 2017
Nigeria was trapped under pdp
Now we are fully lost and in constant darkness with apc.be it in electricity..security of lives and property.constant danger.unending kidnappings.unlimited rape cases.
Dollar jumping
Abegi.
Generators r only used in forests and some rurak places abroad.not a constant ish.
Go to craigslist.u go see better tokunbo gen for 200 dollars.
Original

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lagos East Bye-Election: Tokunbo Abiru Set To Resign / Demonstration In Kano Over Isreal (Pictures) / Attacks: We Won’t Leave Nigeria, Say Oil Firms

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.