Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,679 members, 7,820,384 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:59 PM

197,050 Qualified Candidates Denied Admission In Seven Universities - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 197,050 Qualified Candidates Denied Admission In Seven Universities (18572 Views)

Lagos Indian School Where Nigerians Are Denied Admission / Firdaouz Yusuff-Awari Denied Admission By University Of Ilorin After Scoring 300 / Age: David Okorogheye Denied Admission From Studying Medicine For Being 15 Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 197,050 Qualified Candidates Denied Admission In Seven Universities by OGHENAOGIE(m): 2:34pm On Feb 11, 2018
Cromcruach91:
Simple reason is

Not enough universities

People looking down on vocational and technical education.

Refusal to increase fees , which is preventing expansion of facilities and building new ones

Refusal to develop an industrial economy which is restricting the number of jobs to be created for secondary school leavers.

Not enough lecturers.

u nailed it...bt unfortunately in a society wer we see things from spiritual angle more...pple ll think u are mad for saying reality....sm of us who went to university are still trying to see d relevance....
Re: 197,050 Qualified Candidates Denied Admission In Seven Universities by nerd51(f): 2:35pm On Feb 11, 2018
Just so sad. I scored 273 in jamb and 55 in putme yet uniben denied me admission while someone else with the same putme score and who also applied for the same course with me was given biochem, ahn ahn.
Re: 197,050 Qualified Candidates Denied Admission In Seven Universities by OGHENAOGIE(m): 2:40pm On Feb 11, 2018
Sheelz:
Stories of corruption.
My sister got 275 and also aced her WAEC and NECO but Unilorin did not admit her. Just last week she met someone who scored less than her admitted into the same medicine. She requested for a transfer with a transcript of all A's but the story is people that will process that are on strike and by the time they resume it may be too late. This country is simply a mess and the people in power are blind to it.
stop lamenting it's quota system moreover wat state is ur sister from...and to think of d fact say 99percent of science student wan study medicine....Wat do u expect....our education need tinkering oderwise we are a disaster waiting to occur....d kin primary school private secondary private I de see makes me conclude d future is bleak
Re: 197,050 Qualified Candidates Denied Admission In Seven Universities by HORLADSTAR(m): 2:47pm On Feb 11, 2018
We have lost already in naija make baba God show us d way is the real point now
Re: 197,050 Qualified Candidates Denied Admission In Seven Universities by Futurecrown(m): 2:50pm On Feb 11, 2018
nerd51:
Just so sad. I scored 273 in jamb and 55 in putme yet uniben denied me admission while someone else with the same putme score and who also applied for the same course with me was given biochem, ahn ahn.
I understand your plight Damsel but do you know that there are many yardstick to determine admission into any federal Universities in this Country? Sequel to your epistles, that your friend might be UNIBEN catchment or educational less developed area cos the admission yardstick are 45% merit, 35% catchment and 20% ELDs. Just be optimistic cos perseverance and persistence will land you to your destination.. Happy Sunday.
Re: 197,050 Qualified Candidates Denied Admission In Seven Universities by MRAKBEE(m): 2:52pm On Feb 11, 2018
matrixme:

Be deceiving yourself. My cousin scored a very high jamb score and passed his WAEC but was denied admission into ABU. We thought it wouldn't be so. Meanwhile it's high time these private universities democratize university admission for Nigerians. No need for feeding and accommodation so the prices can crash, perhaps more people can cash into the education business by building private hostels and eateries for students.
Most private universities have zero impact on their host communities. It's so terrible that some of them even build in house accommodation for their staff. Imagine these huge numbers going back to write JAMB again next year or a number traveling abroad as unnecessary brain drain. We like shooting ourselves in the foot in this country.
Im not of the opinion that it's possible for every prospective stufent to gain admission in the North but the chances of gaining admission here is higher than what we have in the south
Re: 197,050 Qualified Candidates Denied Admission In Seven Universities by nerd51(f): 2:55pm On Feb 11, 2018
Futurecrown:
I understand your plight Damsel but do you know that there are many yardstick to determine admission into any federal Universities in this Country? Sequel to your epistles, that your friend might be UNIBEN catchment or educational less developed area cos the admission yardstick are 45% merit, 35% catchment and 20% ELDs. Just be optimistic cos perseverance and persistence will land you to your destination.. Happy Sunday.
We are both from Edo state so that means I'm supposed to be among catchment, right?...happy Sunday to you too
Re: 197,050 Qualified Candidates Denied Admission In Seven Universities by debolayinka(m): 3:00pm On Feb 11, 2018
Umartins1:

I believe merit still exists no matter how little, especially in federal universities. If you read well and beat the cut off mark, a federal university has no choice but to admit you.
You say what? Do you know a school called Unilorin? I know person wey get Distinctions in her NCE, and over 90 in post-utme, but still didn't gain admission.

What do you have to say about that?

Re: 197,050 Qualified Candidates Denied Admission In Seven Universities by Futurecrown(m): 3:04pm On Feb 11, 2018
nerd51:

We are both from Edo state so that means I'm supposed to be among catchment, right?...happy Sunday to you too
All is well. I had a similar story with you, I wrote direct-entry four years in same UNIBEN scored reasonable mark but was denied my dream course while my friend from Delta and Edo with same score got the course EEE, I latter meet a Lecturer to explain my ordeals the Man told me that I didn't meet the cut off mark and I'm not from catchment that was the reason had been denied the dream course before I have been catapult to physics department, I rejected the offer that time but with prayer, persistence and perseverance I made it at the fifth year thou I scored higher than the cut off mark the said year n my dream came to reality. I wish you all the best.
Re: 197,050 Qualified Candidates Denied Admission In Seven Universities by nerd51(f): 3:05pm On Feb 11, 2018
Futurecrown:
All is well. I had a similar story with you, I wrote direct-entry four years in same UNIBEN scored reasonable mark but was denied my dream course while my friend from Delta and Edo with same score got the course EEE, I latter meet a Lecturer to explain my ordeals the Man told me that I didn't meet the cut off mark and I'm not from catchment that was the reason had been denied the dream course before I have been catapult to physics department, I rejected the offer that time but with prayer, persistence and perseverance I made it at the fifth year thou I scored higher than the cut off mark the said year n my dream came to reality. I wish you all the best.
Thanks
Re: 197,050 Qualified Candidates Denied Admission In Seven Universities by Futurecrown(m): 3:08pm On Feb 11, 2018
nerd51:
Thanks
You re welcome
Re: 197,050 Qualified Candidates Denied Admission In Seven Universities by NairaMaster1(m): 3:20pm On Feb 11, 2018
Umartins1:

I believe merit still exists no matter how little, especially in federal universities. If you read well and beat the cut off mark, a federal university has no choice but to admit you.

Did you read the POST? I advice you go back to read it. People of merit were not admitted.
Re: 197,050 Qualified Candidates Denied Admission In Seven Universities by Hespee93: 3:33pm On Feb 11, 2018
Galantis:
Unijos don dey do me shege since 2014, to the extend wey school no dey hungry me. Na investment things now ooooo.
bro hope you have a skill?
Am just Thanking God that during my process of admission I didnt wast my time. I went for ICT training where I learn hw to write programm. Now, I can design website, creat android app with java, including networking. Lookig for money to go for CCNA networking exam.
Re: 197,050 Qualified Candidates Denied Admission In Seven Universities by Nobody: 3:51pm On Feb 11, 2018
nerd51:
catchment area palava. go and double your reading and i vehemently believe you will gain admission you will surely be proud.
Re: 197,050 Qualified Candidates Denied Admission In Seven Universities by Inaco: 3:56pm On Feb 11, 2018
I scored 290 in jamb, 275 in putme and got the necessary waec results of B3s, only to be denied admission by ABU zaria. Jamb is a #shamble
Re: 197,050 Qualified Candidates Denied Admission In Seven Universities by ahmEenu(m): 3:56pm On Feb 11, 2018
MRAKBEE:
Need admission?
Come to the North and get it after the first attempt
beech please. is a.b.u not in the north?
Re: 197,050 Qualified Candidates Denied Admission In Seven Universities by congorasta: 4:12pm On Feb 11, 2018
omoelerin1:
What has 'there was a country' got to do with this issue now?

I know u be Igbo. That is their song. Any little thing, 'there was a country'. Even in situations where such statement is not applicable, 'there was a country'.

shut up

and mind your business.
Re: 197,050 Qualified Candidates Denied Admission In Seven Universities by Nobody: 4:44pm On Feb 11, 2018
HungerBAD:
By Eno-Abasi Sunday, Iyabo Lawal (Lagos) and Kanayo Umeh (Abuja)

JAMB Not Ready To Extend UTME Validity Beyond One Year

As gaining admission into tertiary institutions in the country becomes an arduous task, data obtained from some schools around the country by The Guardian, sharply contradicts claims by the Joint Admission and Matriculations that over 75 per cent of the total number of qualified candidates that applied for admission were admitted into institutions of their choice for the 2017/2018 academic session.

In fact, figures from only seven schools sampled by The Guardian, indicated that 46, 950 candidates (barely 20 per cent) were admitted from a pool of 244, 000, who were successful in the post Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (POST-UTME).

The JAMB, which recently claimed that more than 90 per cent of institutions in the country complied with the deadline to end their 2017/2018 admissions by January 25, also said that the introduction of the Central Admissions Processing System (CAPS) by the board was to ensure a seamless admission processing.

A breakdown of data from the sampled institutions showed that of the 104, 000 candidates that qualified for admission to the University of Ilorin (UNILORIN), only 11, 000 were eventually admitted. In the case of the University of Ibadan (UI), 27, 000 candidates scaled the hurdle, but only 3, 750 got placements. Of the 20, 000 candidates that the Lagos State University deemed qualified after the post-UTME, only 4, 000 were lucky. Ambrose Ali University, Ekpoma, Edo State, squeezed in 8, 000 candidates from the 15, 000 that were qualified, and the University of Benin managed to absorb 10, 000 out of the 21, 000 that scaled through at the post-UTME stage. The University of Port Harcourt gave admission to only 6, 700 candidates out of the 37, 000 that recorded success in the post-UTME, and the Federal University of Technology, Akure, Ondo State created space for a paltry 3, 500 out of the 20, 000 successful candidates from its post-UTME.

JAMB’s Public Relations Officer (PRO), Dr. Fabian Benjamin, in an interview with The Guardian maintained that the few schools that couldn’t adhere to the admission directive were those institutions with peculiar challenges.He said: “More than 90 per cent of the admissions have been completed by institutions as at the stipulated deadline. The few that couldn’t meet up were those institutions with peculiar challenges, some with accreditation status that are not clearly defined and need regulatory authorisation; and some who are just taking off and need what we call sourcing of candidates. This level of compliance is encouraging and by next exercise, we should be talking about total adherence.”

Asked what becomes of the thousands of candidates rolled over into 2018/2019 session, who have to start the fight anew in view of the one-year validity of the UTME results, the JAMB image maker said, “It was not within the powers of the board to determine what happens to a candidate not admitted into any institution. Besides, we don’t roll over candidates. It is the right of candidates to apply. However, what we have succeeded in doing is to monitor admission closely, a development that has led to more candidates being admitted this year.”

On calls by parents and candidates for the extension of the validity of UTME result to three years as proposed by lawmakers, Benjamin said that; “The three-year validity is not at the root of any admission challenge. The inability of candidates to secure admissions are strictly the choices we make as candidates, parents and some of the regulatory policies. We are doing everything possible to address these challenges, as we recently secured the approval of one of the regulatory agencies to waive some subject combination for UTME.

As the admission crisis festers, some affected institutions are urging the Federal Government to give priority attention to university education by increasing its allocation to the sub-sector, and addressing salient factors exacerbating the access challenge, which include shortage of facilities for teaching and learning; shortage of academic staff; inadequate number of universities; inconsistencies in admission criteria across universities, and limitations in national admissions policy.

According to Public Relations Officer, University of Port Harcourt, Williams Wodi, instead of government considering the establishment of new universities to cater for the teeming admission seekers, it should expand the capacities of existing institutions.Wodi, who noted out that of the 1.7 million that wrote the last UTME, the totality of all the nation’s universities cannot take more than 570, 000 stressed that, “this is a very big problem, already, lecturers are overburdened. The NUC said we need about 32,000 Ph. D holders to teach in our universities, where do we get that?”

While also harping on the need for the government to strengthen existing colleges of education and polytechnics by upgrading them to degree-awarding institutions, he urged the government to revamp polytechnic education; make its products globally relevant and competitive, and put in place uniform entry requirements for all tertiary institutions. Media aide to the vice chancellor of the University of Ibadan, Mr. Sunday Saanu, also stressed the need for government to expand existing facilities for improved access.

http://guardian.ng/features/education/197050-qualified-candidates-denied-admission-in-seven-universities/

Lalasticlacla Mynd44

While some students from a certain part of the country got admission with jamb scores that looks like 132, 80 and 98.
Re: 197,050 Qualified Candidates Denied Admission In Seven Universities by nerd51(f): 7:48pm On Feb 11, 2018
vingeophysicist:
catchment area palava. go and double your reading and i vehemently believe you will gain admission you will surely be proud.
Catchment area ke. I'm from Edo state
Re: 197,050 Qualified Candidates Denied Admission In Seven Universities by eniorisha(m): 8:33pm On Feb 11, 2018
Umartins1:

Do not give up, bro. I wrote JAMB five times
I wrote utme 7 times.
Re: 197,050 Qualified Candidates Denied Admission In Seven Universities by Galantis: 5:41pm On Feb 12, 2018
Stevengerd:
Nice one bro! POLY / UNI?
poly. And na metallurgical engineering technology Dem give me and I am 3wks behind.
Re: 197,050 Qualified Candidates Denied Admission In Seven Universities by Galantis: 5:42pm On Feb 12, 2018
Ray07:
and yet the expect Nigeria to develop when the keep denying us right to education.
Bro no be only you e tire o, na to invest make that cash and maybe school later.
Top billionaire in the world na dropout and see people killing them hard in school just to work for them. Be a man in jean and t-shirt that employs people in suits.

Do u stay in Jos?
yes I do, the Moscow of Nigeria
Re: 197,050 Qualified Candidates Denied Admission In Seven Universities by Stevengerd(m): 6:08pm On Feb 12, 2018
Galantis:
poly. And na metallurgical engineering technology Dem give me and I am 3wks behind.
May jah see u thru bro! All the best
Re: 197,050 Qualified Candidates Denied Admission In Seven Universities by Galantis: 6:45pm On Feb 12, 2018
Stevengerd:
May jah see u thru bro! All the best
tnx alot
Re: 197,050 Qualified Candidates Denied Admission In Seven Universities by Evangkatsoulis: 3:26pm On May 15, 2018
Xbee007:
Yeah, my sister had 239 in jamb, aced her WAEC and still wasn't given admission. Terrible!

239 is very poor na.
Re: 197,050 Qualified Candidates Denied Admission In Seven Universities by sleekenterprise: 1:03pm On Feb 06, 2019
Hi, how do I contact you personally, in relation to plastic recycling?
omoola007:

You are so on point. There is clearly not enough schools. Forget good schools sef.

Ideally they need to establish community colleges. (2 year schools) that teach the prerequisites and then you can transfer on merit to get your B.sc etc.

The cost versus price of education is not commensurate. How can you pay 100,000 a year and expect good education. That about the same price as secondary school. Not even the really good ones. Make students work for their education. Have them take care of facilities. Teach in the community colleges and secondary schools as part of their tuition. Have schools open businesses that sustain and develop skills ... Bakeries, assembly factory, student will learn real skills.

Education has shifted from traditional four walls and four years to skill and ability based. The. Pool of u employed allows for an employer to choose the best of 1,000 for one position of course he is at an advantage.

Schools in 2018 should teach how to fish and not teach student to be fed by employers after graduation. There nit not enough jobs but there are plenty problems that need solution.

That being said. I am looking to employ a qualified candidate ( graduate or not while can help run a recycling plant in IKORODU). The person must be hard working and visionary. I want an intrapreneur, not a worker bee. Email recycleworksng@gmail.com with CV.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Is The Situation In Your School On Resumption? / Fresh Crisis Looms In Universities Over Lecturers’ Unpaid 8 Months Salaries / 10 Important Things You Must Learn How To Do Before Graduating From University

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.