Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,703 members, 7,955,651 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 12:00 PM

Nnenne’s Last Valentine: Short Story By Oluoma Udemezue - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Nnenne’s Last Valentine: Short Story By Oluoma Udemezue (6872 Views)

Not Just An Ordinary Day (A Short Romance Story By Kayode Odusanya) / When Hell Overflows. Story By Ufuoma Seunnla / "No Pleasure For Dead Girls" A Story By Mancrimes.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nnenne’s Last Valentine: Short Story By Oluoma Udemezue by Solomonudofia(m): 4:55am On Feb 12, 2018
The class was noisy, very loud, and the final year Law students gathered together: everyone’s eyes were on the announcement board, they have come to the end of the first semester.

Valentine’s eve.

It was a day to Valentine, and all the students were in high spirit, because it fell on a weekend; a great opportunity for a long visit to their boyfriends, husbands, friends or just family members. Some anticipated on what they would get on that day but, seated far away from the crowd, at the far end of the class, hidden behind thick lenses was Uju.

Everything began after the last lecture, when someone announced that the result for the last exams had been published. They all ran, and among those was Uju. Uju was an Island in class: her mentality was like no other, but her classmates were fine, so far as she didn’t get in their way. She was only seen on campus with her boyfriend, Emeka or her roommates heading to TDB.

She had her own car, but nobody knew anything about her family. As Uju got to the board with the rest, she made sure she stood far away from them, while she searched for her name on the board, and when she got to registration number: 434, she could not believe her eyes, and she started all over again till she got to her number for the tenth time:

“An ‘F’!”

She screamed in her mind. Before the others could see her leave, she had already reversed her car and headed off campus.

Betrayal.
Uju brought her car very close to Emeka’s door. She didn’t even know how she bypassed all the heavy trucks on UNIZIK express way, but she knew she had come to her safe haven. Uju got out of the car, ran to Emeka’s door, and with one push, the door flew open. Uju was accosted with the greatest earthquake in her life: there, Emeka was, butt-naked with Linda, her bunk mate, friend and reading partner. It was as though time stood still. She met Emeka’s pleading eyes, and Linda hid under the sheet.

“Ujunwa, please I can explain.”

He tried to get up, and remembered that he was naked and un-shamefully hard, he sat back. Uju ran back to her car, and the tires screeched her onto the express way; she headed for her father’s home town.

Seeking Solace.
Uju didn’t want to go home. She had been in a difficult feud with her father for years. He sends allowance, but she hates his guts and makes it too obvious to him, not leaving out her step mother whom her father was sleeping with up until her mother’s ghastly motor accident. Uju accused Aunt Betty for her mother’s death, but nothing was made out of it.

She resented her grandmother for asking her mother to go back to her husband when she came to tell her of her son’s affair with her best friend. The tears ran down her face as she sped pass Awkuzu, the toll gate, then diverted into the old road that led to Ifite.

The old lady, now in her eighties was a retired teacher, she was a little bit too hard on Uju, while growing up, but she still remained her favourite. She didn’t know what she saw in her, but as a young girl, Uju’s strong will marveled her. That was why she didn’t ask her why she was home, even as Uju went straight into the room without a greeting, Nnenne knew there was trouble.

A knock disrupted her warring spirit; she looked up and it was Nnenne, coming in with something like an old album. As a little child, Uju remembered that each morning they came to greet Nnenne, you will find her cleaning a set of frames she kept on a table, and these were placed very close to her bed. Each picture was that of her late husband.

One day, Uju came; she met her talking to the picture: she implored him to come and take her along with him. When Nnenne came close, Uju got, and made space for her. It was already dusk and she had come in with an mpanaka. She took her place, drew Uju close, placed the album on her laps, smiled then began:

“I loved your grandfather and each day, I wish I had him with me more than anything. Look! Here when we took our first picture. This was before the civil war. We had come from the cinemas after he proposed to me.”

She gave out a heavy chuckle, which was filled with regret. Uju leaned-in closer as she talked. The album was a collection of many little sweet moments their time together: each picture told a story.

“Here, we went to Greece for a teacher’s training. Oh! Look! It is your father, during his christening”

Uju looked away.

“Here, when he bought me my first car…. And that was the last gift he gave me before he went to away.”

She gave a long labored pause.

“Look! Here he is in his army uniform. He sent this to me after three months with a letter. I will show you tomorrow morning. The next letter I got was that he was knocked out by a bullet from the enemies.”

The old lady broke down in beats of sobs. After sometimes, she got up, and went back to her room. Uju placed her head on her pillow, and that night, for the first time, she thought about her father.

The phone rang. It was morning. A text message had come in so early. It was her father, wishing her the best Valentine ever. Uju got up and ran to Nnenne’s room, she knocked but Nnnenne did not answer, she opened the door, a lamp was burning by the side. She took it up, went to Nnenne’s bed, she brought the lamp to the old woman’s smiling face. Uju placed her hand on her arm, it was stiff-cold. Uju drew back, made her way out of the room, and as she faced the peaceful singsongs of the birds on the mango tree, she knew that Nnenne had gone to meet her many little sweet moments.

Written by Oluoma Udemezue

https://www.google.com.ng/amp/s/amp.pulse.ng/communities/bloggers/nnennes-last-valentine-id7946487.html

6 Likes

Re: Nnenne’s Last Valentine: Short Story By Oluoma Udemezue by Mariangeles(f): 10:51pm On Feb 14, 2018
A lovely story...but what about the letter Nnenne was going to show her? I need to know the content of that letter or else...

3 Likes

Re: Nnenne’s Last Valentine: Short Story By Oluoma Udemezue by Emvico34: 10:55pm On Feb 14, 2018
this guy above me get wahala too much. The op says is a short story and you are still booking space without reading the short story.
Haba na
how i want take make ftc for this Koboland now?
Whoever you are, wherever you are stealing my ftc.......
Make i finish am

2 Likes

Re: Nnenne’s Last Valentine: Short Story By Oluoma Udemezue by bobokeshington: 10:56pm On Feb 14, 2018
Valentine has come and gone...
Now I'm waiting for the result of games wey una play today....
Re: Nnenne’s Last Valentine: Short Story By Oluoma Udemezue by Benblaq(m): 10:56pm On Feb 14, 2018
hmm
Re: Nnenne’s Last Valentine: Short Story By Oluoma Udemezue by Sheggun1: 11:00pm On Feb 14, 2018
Waiting.......
Re: Nnenne’s Last Valentine: Short Story By Oluoma Udemezue by gal10(f): 11:15pm On Feb 14, 2018
1st time of seeing my exact namesake as in oluoma not oluchi!!!! Woww kiss kiss

1 Like

Re: Nnenne’s Last Valentine: Short Story By Oluoma Udemezue by bobokeshington: 11:20pm On Feb 14, 2018
gal10:
1st time of seeing my exact namesake as in oluoma not oluchi!!!! Woww kiss kiss

Me too
Re: Nnenne’s Last Valentine: Short Story By Oluoma Udemezue by Mariangeles(f): 11:22pm On Feb 14, 2018
Emvico34:
this guy above me get wahala too much. The op says is a short story and you are still booking space without reading the short story.
Haba na
Make i finish am
Lol...change your line
Re: Nnenne’s Last Valentine: Short Story By Oluoma Udemezue by SEMO007(m): 11:22pm On Feb 14, 2018
Happy val
Re: Nnenne’s Last Valentine: Short Story By Oluoma Udemezue by fortunekaura(m): 11:38pm On Feb 14, 2018
Girls punnany after val

1 Like

Re: Nnenne’s Last Valentine: Short Story By Oluoma Udemezue by seguno2: 1:27am On Feb 15, 2018
Emvico34:
Haba na
Make i finish am

Is the writer of the story, different from you in a superior way?
Re: Nnenne’s Last Valentine: Short Story By Oluoma Udemezue by ALAYORMII: 2:30am On Feb 15, 2018
Happy Valentine's day NLanders
Re: Nnenne’s Last Valentine: Short Story By Oluoma Udemezue by onemanonewife(m): 4:37am On Feb 15, 2018
From exam failure to her boo cheating with her bunkmate to loosing her granny.sad events everywhere for the young girl. Sometimes are really trying times shaa

1 Like

Re: Nnenne’s Last Valentine: Short Story By Oluoma Udemezue by Gloriao(f): 7:15am On Feb 15, 2018
Mariangeles:
A lovely story...but what about the letter Nnenne was going to show her? I need to know the content of that letter or else...

Oluoma Udemezue has to answer oo!

1 Like

Re: Nnenne’s Last Valentine: Short Story By Oluoma Udemezue by udemezueoluoma(f): 12:30pm On May 03, 2018
Thanks .
Re: Nnenne’s Last Valentine: Short Story By Oluoma Udemezue by udemezueoluoma(f): 12:31pm On May 03, 2018
Hahahaha!
Re: Nnenne’s Last Valentine: Short Story By Oluoma Udemezue by udemezueoluoma(f): 12:32pm On May 03, 2018
Hahahaha!
Re: Nnenne’s Last Valentine: Short Story By Oluoma Udemezue by udemezueoluoma(f): 12:34pm On May 03, 2018
Yes. Sometimes, life feeds using lemons.
Re: Nnenne’s Last Valentine: Short Story By Oluoma Udemezue by udemezueoluoma(f): 12:34pm On May 03, 2018
How can I ? Suspense!

(1) (Reply)

Forbidden Fruits (18+) / Diaries Of A Sex Addict Pt1 / Gold Blood: The Resurrection

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.