Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,448 members, 7,816,038 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:17 AM

Birthmark - Literature (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Birthmark (142300 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Birthmark by BOLAPE(f): 4:05pm On Jun 24, 2018
TWENTY-ONE (CONTINUES)
“You are so welcome, fatihat.” She went to hug her.
‘Hey, what is the hug all about? I was here yesterday.”She pushed her away as gently as possible and looked down at her. “Have you taken a recent shower?’ Fatihat asked curiously, looking at the trace of water at the back of her legs.
‘I don’t know what happens. I just felt the water trickling down my legs. I was so scared.”Yetunde said in a whisper and watched Fatihat’s face dissolved into smiles.
“Your water just broke, big sister. Let’s get going to the hospital before you go into labor. Go and sit in the car. I will get your hospital bag.”Fatihat ordered as she marched words with action and ran into the house to get her baby things.
Yetunde was sitting in the front seat by the time she came back, so she dropped the bag in the car boot and got behind the wheels. ‘I’m so glad you came today. What are those at the back of the car?”Yetunde asked curiously.
“They are baby things. I bought them during my last trip to England a few weeks ago and they are in threes.” She grinned as she expertly maneuvered the car out of their estate and unto the main road.
“You better stop that useless prophecy of yours. You can go and throw your three, three into the dustbin.”Yetunde glared angrily at her and she burst into laughter.
‘You look pensive. Is there any problem?”Yetunde asked after a moment and she sighed out loud.
“Am I so obvious?” She gave a weak laugh and stared at the road in front of her thoughtfully.
“What are you thinking about?”Yetunde probed gently.
‘Tunde has been asking me to marry him ever since the day I wrote my last paper. He wouldn’t let me be.” She burst out worriedly.
“What is stopping you from accepting his proposal? You don’t love him enough?”Yetunde raised an eyebrow at her.
“Honestly, it is not that. Damn it, I’m just twenty-six and I still valued my freedom.” She muttered almost to herself.
“Marriage doesn’t mean imprisonment. If you think it is with him, something is wrong somewhere. Is he still staying in his family house?’She asked curiously.
“He just bought himself one big fancy house in Magodo and spent millions furnishing it to perfection. That guy is crazy!” She laughed out loud as she remembered her surprise and admiration when she saw the house.
‘That guy will get the world for you if you want it. Please don’t throw this opportunity away. I even heard his company is one of the fastest growing companies in the country now. How true is that?”Yetunde looked at her.
“Tunde is the best man to run that company. I have never doubt that for a moment. You won’t believe how much I gained on the shares I sold to him. He is a damn genius!”She shakes her head with reluctant admiration.
“You admire him so much. You trust in his judgment and yet, you don’t want to marry him. This guy is rolling in money and he is inviting you to spend it with him. What else do you want? You want the moon?”Yetunde asked with heavy sarcasm. She winced mentally. “There are so many sharks out there; baby and they are ready to snatch him away if you don’t make up your mind on time.” She added as she felt a dull pain began in her lower stomach.
“We are in the hospital already. Just hold on a moment longer.” She drove into the hospital premises.
“I will if I have to.” Yetunde said through gritted teeth and stifled a scream as a blinding pain racked her body.
“Wait right there. I will be right back.’ She pulled up in hurry and jumped out to call the nurses.
Moments later, Yetunde was wheeled directly into the labor room. Fatihat sat in the waiting room, murmuring prayers under her breath. Her phone rang suddenly and she jumped out of her skin.
‘Hi, Fatihat. It is Demola speaking. Can you tell me where Yetunde is? I just got home now and I called her number but I realized the phone is ringing from the bedroom.”He sounded worried and scared.
“She is in the labor room. You can join me in the hospital….Uncle Demola?”The line has gone off. She stared at it for a moment, and then gave a rueful shrug before putting her phone in her back pocket and resumed her pacing.
Barely ten minutes later, Ademola joined her in the waiting room and hugged her gratefully. “Thank you, fatihat. I know I shouldn’t have traveled but she persuaded me to go. How is she? Have you seen her since she was taken into the labor room?”He asked anxiously.
“She is doing great, Uncle Ademola. Just pray for her and it will soon be over.”
He watched nurses and some patients entering and exiting the waiting room unseeingly. “Tell me about your birth labor when the twins came knocking.”He turned to her abruptly. She smiled with memory.
“I was scared and terribly lonely but at the same time, I was very angry at God for putting me in that condition. I was still angry at HIM for a very long time.” Her voice turned quiet.
“Which hospital did you use and who stayed with you? I guess you were rather too young then.”His voice was laced with genuine curiosity now. She laughed out loud.
“I was just sixteen or seventeen and I have nobody to call my own. I lived in an uncompleted house. It was Aunty Yetunde’s house, the one in Denro area on your way to acute. I have never been to the hospital before. Where would I get the money when I could barely feed myself and the unborn baby?”She smiled as she looked at the posters on the wall one after the other.
“So where was the bastard who impregnated you when you were giving birth to those babies alone?”He asked coldly, feeling his anger rising at the injustice of it all. She shrugged.
“I guess he was in school. He lit out immediately after the deed was done. His mother thought I have been sleeping around and threw me out of the house. Everything is in the past now and I guess everybody has paid one way or the other.” She grinned at him. “What an irony life is! Yet, you are going to end up marrying the bastard anyway.”His voice vibrated with undisguised anger. She paused her lips thoughtfully.
“I will leave that to fate once again. After all, it has played havoc with my life already.” She shrugged and changed the subject.
It seemed like ages but in actual fact was seven and a half hours later, the doctor came out of the labor room and asked for Fatihat but they both moved forward anyway.
“Doctor, this is Mr. Badmus. He is the expecting dad.” She introduced them as she pushed him forward.
“How is she, Doctor?”Ademola‘s hand shoot out and gave the doctor a firm handshake, even though he was sweating from every pore in his body.
“She is very brave for a first timer. Congratulations Mr. Badmus! Your wife just gives birth to a set of triplets!”The doctor returned the firm hand-shake as he beamed at the new father.
“What!!!”Ademola screamed as he dropped the doctor’s hand abruptly. She gave a shout of laughter as she jumped up and down in joy.
“I said it!” She laughed again. Everyone within earshot laughed with her, and then congratulated her. Ademola moved to a seat and sat down in absolute shock which sent Fatihat and the doctor into laughter again.
“How is she? Can we see her now?” She asked anxiously.
‘Yes, you can. She is back in the private ward.’ The doctor nodded in the affirmative, then walked out of the waiting room to attend to other patients.
“Move your butt, Uncle Demola. Let’s go and see mama triplet.” She pulled him up by his arm and dragged him into Yetunde’s private ward.
“I still can’t believe it until I see them myself. ’He shakes his head in disbelieve. Yetunde was sitting in bed while the nurse arranged her pillows and bedspread to make her comfortable. “You witch, so you said it.” Her smile was tired as she turned towards the door. Fatihat went to hug her gently.
“How are you?” She kissed her on both cheeks and stepped back to watch her face.
“I’m fine. I’m just so tired and happy. He is back.”Yetunde’s gaze followed Ademola as he went straight to the baby cot set opposite his wife. He let out a loud gasp when he saw three tiny pink babies sleeping peacefully there.
“He doesn’t believe it when the Doctor told him you gave birth to triplets. He is still reeling from the shock.” She told his wife through peals of laughter. Yetunde and the nurse started laughing too, even as she held her stomach in pain.
“Honestly, it is not very funny. Do you know how much trouble we have with those set of battalions in the house, not to talk of three little rascals you can’t bring yourself to spank even when they deserve it?”He shakes his head in self-pity as he turned towards his wife and tried not to join in the laughter.
“Common, Demola, they are not even a day old and you are already complaining.” Yetunde wiped tears from her eyes as she sat back. Fatihat sat on the only chair in the room, holding her stomach.
“Prophetess Fatihat, will you excuse us, please? I want to speak privately to my wife.”He said sternly, even as his lips twitched in amusement and he slipped in beside his wife, cuddling her close.
“I will gladly do so. You can’t kill me before my time.” She was on her way out but noticed the couple has lost interest in her. They were engrossed with each other.
Tunde just got into town after a short business trip to Port Harcourt with his new personal assistance, Joan Ogbu, a very lively and hard-working Ibo girl. He had just dropped her off at her apartment where she lived with two other ladies before he headed home.
He stared at his big, dark empty house before getting out of the car with a sigh. He retrieved his suitcase and outer jacket before locking up properly for the night. He opened the door and walked into the dark hallway.
He reached for the switch and light flooded everywhere. He went straight to his bedroom, changed into shorts and t-shirt and headed out again for the kitchen when he saw movement in the sitting room. His heart skipped a bit when he saw a figure rose to her feet in his sitting room. It was Tolani Allison, his long-time girlfriend during his undergraduate days at the University of Port-Harcourt.
“Hi. It has been a while, dear.”She smiled at him from where she stood behind one of the biggest sofas in his sitting room.
“What are you doing here? How did you get in?”His voice was unfriendly, even as memories of their last time together flooded into his mind.
“What a way to greet your old buddy! I came in through the door of course.” She came around and sat cross-legged with her purse on her lap.
“You have not answered my first question.”He reminded and watched her closely all the while.
‘Tunde, I am really scared. I don’t think I should go through this abortion. You know this is the third time I am doing this for you. Can’t we keep this baby please?’ Tolani pleaded as tears filled her eyes.
‘I understand your fear, Love. How do we take care of the kid? You are still a student while I just wrote my final papers. Don’t you think the kid will curse us both? Moreover, you should remember how disciplined your parents are. After killing you, they will come after me. We both know that. That is apart from the fact that my parents will disown me if they find out. I don’t have the means to feed you and the baby. Where does that leave us?’ He took her hands and kissed the knuckles gently. It brought a watery smile to her face.
He has always known the button to press when it comes to her. He was her weakness and addiction ever since they met at a Jambite party during her first year in school. He has pursued her with a single-mindedness that never failed to amaze her until she toppled into love with him and ultimately into his bed. He was her first boyfriend and was the one who took her virginity.
She suspected he has other babes by the side from her friend’s hearsays and what she heard on the campus but she has never caught him red-handed. She didn’t mind so much as long as she is the main chick and everyone knows it. She sighed heavily as she turned unto her back.
‘I will do it then but promise me this will be the last time. If I get pregnant again for you, we are getting married.’ She glared at him.
‘Of course, we are getting married. I love you, babe. Thank you for doing this for me.’ He rolled over her as he pulled at her lower lips and bit lightly. She moaned quietly.
‘I am going to miss you dreadfully.’ His voice was husky as he slipped his hand into the tank top and caressed her hard nipples lightly while his fingers gently kneaded her generous flesh.
She bucked urgently. He always knew the right button to press. Even when she was furious with him, she still came back for more.
He slipped his hand under her short skirt, pulled her pants aside and dipped into her moist depth. She was already dripping for him. He smiled smugly to himself as he hiked up her skirt and spread her legs.
‘No need to use protection tonight. We have already scored.’ He teased lightly as he settled between her thighs and drove into her in one thrust. He hit her center of gravity and she screamed with ecstasy. She clung to him as he thrust over and over until they both reached a climax.
‘I will miss you too, Tunde. I am missing you already. Please don’t disappoint me. I love you. I will kill myself if you don’t keep your promise.’ She clung to him with a desperation which unnerved him.
‘I promise, baby. I have never failed you before. I will not this time around.’ He hugged her tightly as they wrapped around each other.
That was the last time they saw each other until now.
Meanwhile, Fatihat was in Josephine’s house, bitching about the trip she just made to Port-Harcourt.
“Can you imagine that idiot was in the same hotel I lodged in with another woman? She is one skinny Ibo girl like that” She paced the floor in front of her sister who was busy eating an apple in slices.
Josephine was pregnant. Her husband was spoiling her silly with anything eatable and edible.
“Why didn’t you confront him when you saw him?”
“I couldn’t. I was on my way to a business meeting when I saw them in the same cab. By the time I came back from my meeting, they have already checked out. God! I was so mad!”
“You are still mad and I can’t see why. The guy asked you to marry him so many times but you refused. So why shouldn’t he go for someone else who is willing, young and beautiful?”Josephine raised an eyebrow to her. She hissed viciously.
“Is that what you are supposed to say? A hell of a sister you are.” She spat as she picked up her purse and matched out of her house, closely followed by Josephine’s ringing laughter.
“You have really done well for yourself. This is such a beautiful house.’ She looked around with open admiration.
‘I am sure you are not here to admire my house, Tola. There is a reason for your action. If you can go to the extent of laying an ambush for me in my house, you definitely have a purpose. Can you please save us the mystery?’ Her gaze swung to meet his. He watched as the smile drained from her eyes and it becomes blank with a coldness he felt in his bone. He tried not to let her see his fear but it was difficult.
‘I will spill it at my own fucking time. You are a bastard, Tunde. So you really want to make a home with your LovePeddler and bastards after you ruin my life, right?’ Her voice was soft and quiet but the venom in it was obvious. She opened her purse casually and brought out a knife and a gun. He took an involuntary step back.
‘Are you scared? I thought you are a macho man whose dick was a gift to every woman you come across.’ She laughed lightly but it was devoid of amusement. The saliva in his mouth ran dry and he swallowed hard.
‘Tolani, please don’t do anything rash. We were both young and foolish back then. I am sure we can come to a kind of arrangement between us. Just put those weapons away.’ His voice came out in a croak as he gestured to the weapons on his new settee.
‘Really? What kind of arrangement? Can you import a new womb for me so I will be able to give birth in future? Kindly add a husband as well because no man wants to marry a barren woman.’ She cocked her head to a side as she stared at him. He sighed heavily.
‘I am sorry, Tola. Kindly forgive me.’
‘Forgiveness belong to our creator. You didn’t keep your promise. You even have the nerve to come back into town with a new woman. You have got nerves, Tunde Abeebs. I always admire that about you.’ She laughed harshly.
‘What can I do to make it up to you?’ Desperation made his voice thick. Sweat beaded on his pores and trickled down the middle of his back.
‘That is a great question. I am spending the night in this house. We will find our way to the court tomorrow and get married.’
‘What!’ His voice reverberated throughout the house.

P.S

TWIST OF FATE is still available at https://okadabooks.com/search?term=TWISTS+OF+FATE.

Alternatively, you can chat me up or send mail to obolaji2002@yahoo.com for the pdf copy.

A copy cost #500 only.

Thank you.

Cheers!

2 Likes

Re: Birthmark by skubido(m): 4:43pm On Jun 24, 2018
haaa, wahala de,, Nawa for Tunde self, who go help ham nao.

sist tanks a lot for the long update.. God bless

2 Likes

Re: Birthmark by Mhizdebs(f): 6:11pm On Jun 24, 2018
Thanks so much dearie.e-hugs..

1 Like

Re: Birthmark by Ann2012(f): 6:35pm On Jun 24, 2018
Thanks ma'am
Tunde don too commit, God will see u tru

1 Like

Re: Birthmark by Ibunkun1(m): 6:40pm On Jun 24, 2018
Shit Which Kain Twist Be Dis.Tunde U Feel Like flogging You,is This How You Want To Hurt Fatihat Again.I Dont even Know How You'll Get Out Of This.Madam Bolape Has Anyone Told You Before That You're A BADASSSSSS!

1 Like

Re: Birthmark by PricelessCharm(f): 8:30pm On Jun 24, 2018
Fatihat spoilt the engagement between Tunde and Nike because she was hurt. Now Tolani is about to crash the sweet life Tunde would have had with Fati. Ha, Tunde, na ur life b dis?? Lets see who will come next to remove Tolani.

1 Like

Re: Birthmark by kunbeex(f): 9:00pm On Jun 24, 2018
Thanks for the update ma....... Tunde Tunde

1 Like

Re: Birthmark by divinehand2003(m): 7:03am On Jun 25, 2018
PricelessCharm:
Fatihat spoilt the engagement between Tunde and Nike because she was hurt. Now Tolani is about to crash the sweet life Tunde would have had with Fati. Ha, Tunde, na ur life b dis?? Lets see who will come next to remove Tolani.

Lol
This is more like WHAT A MAN SOWETH, THAT HE SHALL REAP.

1 Like

Re: Birthmark by BOLAPE(f): 4:13pm On Jun 25, 2018
See me preening with pride...LOL

I love this comment.

Thank you. Tunde is paying for his womanising....it is a pity that others will suffer from his bad deed too!
Ibunkun1:
Shit Which Kain Twist Be Dis.Tunde U Feel Like flogging You,is This How You Want To Hurt Fatihat Again.I Dont even Know How You'll Get Out Of This.Madam Bolape Has Anyone Told You Before That You're A BADASSSSSS!
Re: Birthmark by BOLAPE(f): 4:15pm On Jun 25, 2018
Tunde has messed up big time....karma is catching up with him.

PricelessCharm:
Re: Birthmark by Ibunkun1(m): 8:26pm On Jun 25, 2018
BOLAPE:
See me preening with pride...LOL

I love this comment.

Thank you. Tunde is paying for his womanising....it is a pity that others will suffer from his bad deed too!
Ma'am Of A Fact You Are Very Unique.I Deeply Respect Ur Writing Style.I Hope You're Preparing For Another Story Because I'm One Of Your MTN Now oooo...LOL.We Need To Be Careful Of Our Actions As They Will Have Effect On Every Body Around Us Either Directly Or Indirectly

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Birthmark by cerowo(f): 9:33pm On Jun 25, 2018
wow, this story is superb keep it coming sis Bolape

1 Like

Re: Birthmark by horlanrewaju11(m): 10:18am On Jun 26, 2018
tanks Bolape this is the best story ever nd i think guys will learn from it pls the continuation .am waiting

1 Like

Re: Birthmark by oyinella(f): 2:47pm On Jun 26, 2018
e yaf happen

1 Like

Re: Birthmark by PricelessCharm(f): 10:19pm On Jun 26, 2018
divinehand2003:

Lol
This is more like WHAT A MAN SOWETH, THAT HE SHALL REAP.
No b lie my brother.

1 Like

Re: Birthmark by PricelessCharm(f): 10:22pm On Jun 26, 2018
BOLAPE:
Tunde has messed up big time....karma is catching up with him.

All involving women. He didn't believe when someone said 'karma is a b!.tch'

1 Like

Re: Birthmark by horwa140: 2:34am On Jun 27, 2018
Sorry bro tunde Konji na bastard Nice one

1 Like

Re: Birthmark by Shakyroh320(f): 5:24am On Jun 27, 2018
mrs Bolape,i like ur stories,this tunde is an animal in human flesh.The yorubas will say 'agba ti oro efo ika,bope titi omo re yoo je nibe' but it seems tunde is the agba eating his bad efo this time around.how family ma?

1 Like

Re: Birthmark by Ibunkun1(m): 7:51am On Jun 27, 2018
Front Page.NICE ONEEEEEE...YAAAYYYYY

1 Like

Re: Birthmark by Olabantu(m): 8:41am On Jun 27, 2018
Oya, front page things...congratulations mam...hope to get like two updates to celebrate this today

1 Like

Re: Birthmark by princessConfy(f): 9:04am On Jun 27, 2018
BOLAPE oya oo nice work you've got here...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Birthmark by kbitss(f): 7:52am On Jun 28, 2018
Good story, update pls!!!

1 Like

Re: Birthmark by skubido(m): 9:41am On Jul 02, 2018
maami what's up na

1 Like

Re: Birthmark by Jennymaryjane01(f): 2:50am On Jul 03, 2018
Nice one ma'am more update plzzz

1 Like

Re: Birthmark by pulchritude94(f): 3:11pm On Jul 03, 2018
nice work, pls update

1 Like

Re: Birthmark by Bennyvee29: 5:25pm On Jul 03, 2018
please more update

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Birthmark by BOLAPE(f): 2:53pm On Jul 04, 2018
TWENTY-TWO
Fatihat turned her car and drove towards Tunde’s house in magodo, seething with anger. His house came into view immediately she entered the street. She was surprised to see the gate opened which was rather unusual. She slowed down as her anger drained away to be replaced by anxiety and drove past the house into the next street.
The house was flooded with light which means he was around but why should his gate be left opened?, She asked herself as she turned off the engine and sat in the darkness for a moment, thoughtful.
She saw a car parked about three houses from his house. There was nothing unusual about it except her instinct was telling her something was not right. She got out of the car, locked up and strolled towards his house. She looked around very briefly, watching the immobile car in particular before slipping into the compound. She went straight to the gateman’s house.
“Mallam Musa, are you there?”She asked in a whisper. There was no response but she heard movement and gently eased the door inward. On the floor was Musa with his hands and legs tied with a rope and his mouth was gagged with a rag. He made sounds in his throat to attract Fatihat’s attention. She turned on the torchlight on her phone and pointed it towards the direction of the sound.
“What happened to you?”She went to his tiny kitchen to get a knife and cut the ropes. The man sputtered loudly and she covered his mouth quickly as she looked towards the door apprehensively.
“A man and a woman came in immediately oga drove in and asked for him. I opened the gate for them only for the man to knock me over and I woke up to find myself like this.”The man narrated in Hausa, touching the back of his head gingerly. She felt dread raced up her spine.
“So where are they now?”She nearly shakes him in her haste to get answers.
“Well….the woman was already moving towards the house when I was knocked down, so I guess they may be with oga right now and…..”His voice trailed off as he realized the implication of his words and his eyes widened in horror.
“Yes, it is possible. If anything happens to him, it will mark the end of your job here.”Her voice sharpened as panic rose up her throat. She beat it down determinedly.
“What should I do?”He vaulted to his feet and swayed heavily when dizziness threatened to engulf him.
“Don’t faint away on me, Musa. I need you to be vigilant for me.”She caught him and shakes him lightly.
“I’m fine now, madam. I should call the police?”He asked in a whisper.
“Don’t call police yet but be vigilant. If you see any suspicion, just whistle softly between your fingers like this.” She demonstrated to him. He grinned with understanding. ‘If you don’t see me after whistling, call this number.’ She collected his phone and typed the number on it.
“I need to check now if Oga dey alright, okay?” and to know if I’m not too late, she thought to herself as she slipped out on legs that were threatening to fold beneath her and she locked them in place as she disappeared into the darkness.
“Is the thought of marrying me so horribly?’ Her eyes seemed to gleam with unshed tears, even as she picked the knife and rubbed the Knife blade on her jean Trouser. His eyes alternate between her eyes and the weapon she was holding like babies.
Something is very wrong. He thought with a slight frown. If memory served him right, Tolani was level-headed and she rarely got angry or had mood swings which were the reason she was the one who lasted among his numerous girlfriends back in his undergraduate days.
‘It is not that, Tola. I have two kids and getting married to their mother is the best way I can give them a good home.’ His voice was persuasive but it was obviously the wrong thing to say because her eyes flashed and she got abruptly to her feet.
‘How dare you throw them in my face? You are nothing but an irresponsible male harlot. Do you remember the day I find a g-string in your bathroom?’ Her voice was low again. He bowed his head in shame. ‘Or is it the day I saw the bra strap tangled among your boxers? Or the day I met that big-breasted woman who was looking at me like she would kill me but your friend said she belonged to him. I loved you with my life. I hoped and prayed you will change but you eventually tossed me away just the way you did the others.’ Her voice was tired as she stared at him.
He raised his hand in a plea as he went on his knees. ‘I knew I messed up big time. Forgive me, Tola. I wish I can undo the past but I can’t. Killing me will not solve the problem.’
‘No, it won’t solve my problem but we are going to be together either here on earth or in heaven or hell. I will kill myself as well.’ She smiled at him.
Her eyes burned with tears and her heart grew heavy with pain. She rubbed at her chest as she huddled behind the seat. The woman was hurt beyond redemption and insanity is already knocking on her door.
Her blood ran cold when she heard the ominous click of the gun. She got up and stepped out of her hiding place. Tunde’s heart simply stopped as he stared at her. He got to his feet abruptly.
‘Are you stupid? What are you doing here?’ He screamed at her, his voice was shaking with fear.
Tolani turned to stare at her. Their gaze met and held for several humming seconds. His muscle trembled and his legs threatened to fold under him. His hands closed into fists and he could have cheerfully wrapped them around her slender neck.
‘You are beautiful. No wonder he is crazy about you.’ Her words surprised her.
‘He wasn’t always crazy about me. I was just another pussy for him back then, long before he met you and the others.’ Her smile was tinged with irony. Tunde felt as if the ground should open and swallowed him.
‘I know your history with him. I made it my business to know about all the women in his life after he left me. I pitied the young girl he raped and applauded the young woman who gave birth to his children. I should have done the same.’ Her voice was filled with regret but her fingers didn’t waver on the gun.
‘I would have aborted them if I knew how. I gave birth because it was the only option I know. Don’t envy others when you don’t know their story. Regret does nothing but eats the soul.’ Her gaze didn’t waver from her steady own. Tolani swallowed hard.
‘You disappoint me, Delilah. I thought you are going to deal with him. Instead, you went ahead and fall in love with him.’ She clucked her tongue as if she was talking to a recalcitrant child. Fatihat smiled.
‘Aren’t we all in love with him? It is not easy to resist a bad boy with gentleman manner. Why did you want us dead? Neither I nor my daughter offended you. You should have dealt with the culprit directly.’ Her cold gaze raked over him, briefly. His blood ran cold. Another battle is brewing already if he survived this one.
‘I have no issue with you. It is the best way to hurt him plus he denied me the ability to become a mother. I begged you to let me keep the last pregnancy but you said No and promised to be back. If the mountain didn’t go to Mohammed, Mohammed will go to the mountain. I was married but my marriage ended when I couldn’t bear a child.’ She looked at him as she smiled. He swallowed hard.
‘Are you going to kill him in my presence, Miss Tolani?’
‘It is your choice. You weren’t invited in the first place. It is either you bear witness at our wedding or we all go together. Move over, Delilah.’ She stepped back as she waved the gun at her.
‘Killing someone turned you into a murderer. Why will you like to kill yourself when there is more to life than marriage and kids? Why will you like to be tied to a man who doesn’t give a Bleep about you? I think you should ask yourself those questions before you let bitterness ruin your life.’ Her voice was quiet. Tolani’s gaze locked on hers. ‘Your case may not be entirely hopeless. I can help if you will allow me.’
‘I want my own children. Do you want to import another womb for me?’ Her voice was bitter.
‘There are so many ways to have a baby without carrying them in your womb, Tolani. Live again. We will explore all options and leave no stone unturned until you have your own children. You are a beautiful woman. Don’t let the thirst for revenge and hatred rubbed you the joy of living. Hell, I have been there. It consumed me until I could think of nothing except the vengeance I wanted to extract on this idiot.’ She gestured absently at Tunde who hadn’t moved an inch. ‘Motherhood doesn’t define who you are neither does marriage. Live for yourself first and any man who is worth you will stay, irrespective of the situation on the ground Please, there is more to life than this. Let me help, let me in and I will try to be the best that ever happened to you.’ She pleaded desperately.
Their gazes locked again and she could almost see the wheels turning in her head as she made the walk back from the brink of insanity.
She lowered the gun slowly.
‘How am I so sure you aren’t setting me up?’ Her voice was unsure.
‘If I do, come back and kill me. We both know I have more to lose if I deceive you. I will rather be a friend than an enemy. Can we leave for my home? Please?’ Fatihat held out her hands, palm up.
Tolani stared at it for a moment before she grasped her hands and hugged her fiercely.
A soft whistle in the air startled them all.
‘That should be Musa. I will see him before he calls the police on us.’ Fatihat squeezed her hand briefly before she went out.
Tolani turned to Tunde and he held his breath as he stared at her.
‘You know I can still kill you before she comes back.’ Her voice was solemn.
‘I know.’
She opened her purse and put her weapon in it. ‘You are one lucky bastard. You don’t even deserve her.’ She spat and then, smiled. ‘On second thought, I think you do. You molded her into what she is today by taking her innocence. If you mess up, I don’t want to think about what she will do to you.’ She chuckled softly. He grimaced.
There was a soft knock on the door and Musa came in on the invitation.
‘Madam is waiting for you at the gate.’ Musa refused to meet her gaze.
‘Thank you, Musa.’ She turned to Tunde again. ‘It will be fun watching you try to get into her good book again. I intend to stay close.’ She was laughing as she left the sitting room.
His legs folded beneath him with relieve and he sank to the floor. He knew Fatihat has just saved his life and he doesn’t even deserve it. He also knew he is in a deep shit of trouble. There is only one person who can save his ass right now.
‘Demola, get out. I need to speak to Fatihat in private.’ Yetunde pushed her husband towards the bedroom door as they both heard Fatiddyhat, playing with the kids downstairs.
‘Woman, this is my bedroom for God’s sake. Can’t you find another spot for your aproko gist?’ He grumbled as he dug in his heels. Her lips twitched with amusement at the petulant look on his face.
‘No problem. We will go out and find a nice place to hang out but the kids will stay home. There is everything you need to take care of them in the house.’ She moved towards the wardrobe and missed the look of horror on his face.
‘I’m going. I’m going. One can’t even rest with his wife again in his bedroom. Haba!’ He grumbled as he walked out and slammed the door.
She collapsed on the bed in a peal of laughter and was still laughing when Fatihat came in, holding her back.
‘Why are you laughing? What did you do to Uncle Demola?’ She grinned at her.
‘He doesn’t want to leave the bedroom and doesn’t to stay with the kids either.’
‘Those kids are mini terrorists. They nearly break my back. Lekan wants another ride on my back. Gift wants Funmi’s teddy bear and was sulking because she refused to give her. I don’t blame him jawe.’ She flipped onto the love seat in the room and picked a piece of chocolate from the plates on the glass table.
‘Life is about choices. Nothing comes free. So how is your new friend, Tolani?’ Yetunde sat up in bed.
‘She is getting back on track. She is a teacher but she resigned and spent her life trying to get even with Tunde. Her finance is zero and her love life is non-existence.’ She concentrated on breaking the chocolate and popping it into her mouth.
‘It reminded me of someone I know.’ Yetunde smiled indulgingly at her.
‘The difference is that I have enough money to pursue my vengeance. She doesn’t. She is up to her neck in debts and the bad guys would have come after her if she didn’t kill herself. So I guess she wanted to use a stone to kill two birds.’
‘I am sure you will sort her out. You are just a soft heart beneath the hard shell. Come here, girl.’ Yetunde opened her arms. She went into them and almost crushed her as her arms tightened around the older woman.
‘When I heard the ominous click of the gun, my heart literarily stopped. I died ten times and nearly pissed in my pants. Tunde is a complete bastard!’ Her voice was in a whisper. Yetunde heard the anger in them and then, the love and the feeling as well.
‘You love him.’ It was a statement. She moved away in anger and got to her feet.
‘I need a cigarette.’ Yetunde raised her eyebrow at her and she felt the disapproval like a physical slap. ‘I am sorry. I withdraw that.’ She raised her hand to her forehead.
‘I have never been so confused in my life. Tunde is a natural flirt. Is that the man I am going to spend the rest of my life with? How long will I continue fighting women from his past?’ Tears filled her eyes.
‘Why don’t we cross that bridge when we get there, Fatihat? Have you considered the fact that he might have changed for better? We all have a past. You do too, baby sister. If those men during your street-walking days start coming up, what will you do?’
‘That was business, Aunt Yetunde. They gave me money and I give them the best nights or moments of their lives. No hard feelings. Rub my back and I rub yours. I didn’t break anybody’s heart.’ She glanced at her and then, they both laughed, hard.
‘Dirty Ol’ days.’ She grimaced with distaste.
‘You have come a long way, Fatihat. I admire your strength. You have touched lives and still doing so, despite your rough childhood. You took in your siblings, even though their mother didn’t treat you well. You deserve some happiness, dear. Forgive him and bury the past.’ Yetunde took her hand and pulled her down beside her.
‘Give me a few days to think over it and know if it is a risk worth taking.’ She shrugged.
‘That is fair enough. Let’s go and see the triplets. They are growing like a weed.’ Yetunde got to her feet. She laughed.
‘They are just so cute. I have ordered for the baby formula online. They should be delivered latest by tomorrow. Don’t let them suck you dry please.’ She followed her out of the room and into the corridor that leads to the colorful nursery.
“Hello, Madam.”Somebody was calling frantically. Yetunde and Fatihat had gone to visit Tolani in the hospital where she was undergoing a series of fertility tests. They were already at the car park when they heard the voice. They both turned around and frowned when they saw an old woman hurrying towards them. They exchanged glances.
“How may we help you ma?” It was Fatihat who asked a bit snappishly. She earned a reproving glance from Yetunde.
“I’m sorry for disturbing you but you look like someone I used to know. Her name is Fatihat Ali. Are you the one?”The woman’s voice ended in a whisper as she turned to her.
“Everybody always knows you from somewhere. It is so interesting to be popular.” Yetunde teased lightly. It made her angry for a reason she couldn’t explain.
“Who are you?”She asked rudely as she stared intently at the woman.
“I’m Amina Ali, Usman Ali’s second wife.” Her voice was pleading, desperate. Fatiha’s gaze raked over her in cold appraisal, noting her frail sickly figure and dismissed her.
“I see. Mama T, please get in the car and let’s go.” She opened the car door and got behind the wheel.
“But you do know the woman, don’t you?”Yetunde got in beside her and pulled the car door closed as she turned to her.
“Fati, I’m so sorry. I know I wasn’t very nice to you back then but I am a sick woman now and I need your help desperately.” Amina hurried to her side and tried to cling to the car door.
“Listen to what she has to say please. It doesn’t cost you anything.”Yetunde pleaded on the older woman’s behalf, feeling sympathy for the wrinkled and thin face.
“If you don’t leave my car door, I won’t hesitate to run you over.” She warned coldly as she turned the ignition key. The Car engine purred to life.
“I’m begging you with the body of your late father. Please have mercy on me and listen to what I have to say.”Amina begged as tears filled her eyes and ran down the weathered skin.
“He can rot in hell for all I care and you can join him there. Please step back or I will end the rest of your miserable life right away.” Her voice was calm.
Amina stepped back as she put the car into reverse. She watched with silent tear as Fatiha drove out of the hospital premises at breakneck speed. She shakes her head in self-pity as she returned to the work that was fast taking its toll on her already weak immune system.
“That was Delilah Smith in action. I thought she is dead and buried.”Yetunde’s voice was filled with sarcasm.
“You can say anything you want, Mama T, I don’t give a damn.” Her shoulders lifted in a shrug as she stared ahead.
“Her kids are with you for God’s sake. If you are still this much angry about the past, it means you care and you should just confront the source of your anger.” She tried to reason with her and gave up when she didn’t receive any response from Fatiha except another shrug.

P.S

TWISTS OF FATE is still available on OKADABOOKS on this link : https://okadabooks.com/search?term=TWISTS+OF+FATE.

Alternatively, if you want the pdf form, please chat me up or send a mail to obolaji2002@yahoo.com.

A copy is #500 ONLY.

Thank you.

Enjoy the read!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Birthmark by oyoni(m): 4:43pm On Jul 04, 2018
The past keeps coming back.... No respite!!!

1 Like

Re: Birthmark by BOLAPE(f): 7:30pm On Jul 04, 2018
The past will always be back.

That is why we should be careful what we do today ....

oyoni:
The past keeps coming back.... No respite!!!
Re: Birthmark by heemah(f): 8:56pm On Jul 04, 2018
hmmmmmnnnn.. *speechless* Thanks for the update Ma'am

1 Like

Re: Birthmark by oloyedprince1(m): 9:45pm On Jul 04, 2018
nice update

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Birthmark by Tobennz(m): 10:17pm On Jul 04, 2018
Bolape God bless u as u bless us wit ur stories... grin shocked

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

In Love With Her Pastor-episode 1 By Angelsss / Almost Paradise / Nigerian Story - Chocolates And Sushi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.