Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,824 members, 7,810,166 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:19 PM

Senate Probes Scarcity Of Lower Naira Denominations - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Probes Scarcity Of Lower Naira Denominations (6882 Views)

Senate Probes Secret Recruitment In FIRS, NASDRA , NDLEA, Others / Senate Probes 7 Oil Firms Over $21bn Unremitted Funds / Senate Probes Buhari, Obasanjo, Yar’adua, Jonathan Over N4tr Customs Revenue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Senate Probes Scarcity Of Lower Naira Denominations by ninetiethcrown7(m): 11:18am On Feb 14, 2018
The lower denominations are scarce because this useless government yaff packed everything to start sharing for campaign... they think we don't know.
Re: Senate Probes Scarcity Of Lower Naira Denominations by Ejiphill09(m): 11:18am On Feb 14, 2018
Nothing wey no go scarce for this country.
Buhari is a failure.

1 Like

Re: Senate Probes Scarcity Of Lower Naira Denominations by Nobody: 11:28am On Feb 14, 2018
bigpicture001:
..very very wrong analysis...

So, where am i wrong?

We are an economy that exports raw material out...and uses the forex to import...which means that we have a lot of imported stuff for sale in Nigeria ....which drives up inflation.

Add the fact that we are not making enough from our exports. due to falling prices, or prices not high enough for our needs...inflation goes up more.

Our govt has to make us export more manufactured goods...which means more forex...and less need to look for loans, etc...meaning value of our currency goes up...and lower denomination notes easier to print.
Re: Senate Probes Scarcity Of Lower Naira Denominations by boyjo: 11:31am On Feb 14, 2018
bigpicture001:
...hey..there is a big difference between supply of money into the economy nd supply of lower denomination currencies into the economy. the former is done is done to boost demand, economy activity and investment, also to fight recession. but the latter is done to better organise the pricing system,to ease transaction challenges nd etc nd that is what the senate is talking about

My botherrrr...I was shocked when i read Chibabe1`s comment too.
The post is going right, he/she is talking left!!!
Re: Senate Probes Scarcity Of Lower Naira Denominations by 400billionman: 11:39am On Feb 14, 2018
Officer : Shun Sir.

N50 is the official denomination for settling /doing Roger to officers.

Lmao. .
Re: Senate Probes Scarcity Of Lower Naira Denominations by Chibabe1(f): 11:52am On Feb 14, 2018
bigpicture001:
...hey..there is a big difference between supply of money into the economy nd supply of lower denomination currencies into the economy. the former is done is done to boost demand, economy activity and investment, also to fight recession. but the latter is done to better organise the pricing system,to ease transaction challenges nd etc nd that is what the senate is talking about

We are saying same thing. Organizing the pricing system, easing transactions and improving the economy will begin by bringing down price of commodities so that consumers can actually make use such denominations and this will make the denominations have more value and be in circulation. Have you noticed that merchants just round up prices of commodities just cos of change wahala??
Re: Senate Probes Scarcity Of Lower Naira Denominations by Chibabe1(f): 11:54am On Feb 14, 2018
boyjo:

My botherrrr...I was shocked when i read Chibabe1`s comment too.
The post is going right, he/she is talking left!!!

I bet u didn't understand me. Hope you recover from your shock soon.
Re: Senate Probes Scarcity Of Lower Naira Denominations by GreatrAnalyst: 12:01pm On Feb 14, 2018
'Probe' has lost its true meaning since it filtered to Nigeria dictionary. Welcome to the circle where 'probe' is equal to the actual correctional action.
After the probe is the probe of the probe.
Re: Senate Probes Scarcity Of Lower Naira Denominations by bigpicture001: 12:01pm On Feb 14, 2018
Cromcruach91:

So, where am i wrong?

We are an economy that exports raw material out...and uses the forex to import...which means that we have a lot of imported stuff for sale in Nigeria ....which drives up inflation.

Add the fact that we are not making enough from our exports. due to falling prices, or prices not high enough for our needs...inflation goes up more.

Our govt has to make us export more manufactured goods...which means more forex...and less need to look for loans, etc...meaning value of our currency goes up...and lower denomination notes easier to print.

..genuinly,i am.impresd by your analytic mindset...a lot of graduate economist can't draw any form of analysis whatsoever..so I say thumps up for ur effort..the thing in ur analysis is that you are drawing it from the unlikely point if view,wen u talk about international trade,u shld talk about foreign exchange and nd not link it with local currency demonisations..the issue of currency denominations are not bothered on gains from international trade. govt gets money from more more important sources than true trade alone.hence the need to sort out transaction currency unit does not hv a strong correlation with gains from international trade.that only what's wrong with the analysis..but honestly, I salute u for trying at all

1 Like

Re: Senate Probes Scarcity Of Lower Naira Denominations by Makschinchin: 12:07pm On Feb 14, 2018
iambijo:
What's the use of small denomination currency if petrol is being sold at 200naira+

So it's only petrol that you buy with lower denominations ba
Re: Senate Probes Scarcity Of Lower Naira Denominations by Makschinchin: 12:10pm On Feb 14, 2018
NonFarmPayrol:
all the 100 Naira currently in circulation look like sh]t

I dey tell uuuu.. #100 is so scarce gan, so u have to manage anyone u receive... #200 is very much in circulation now
Re: Senate Probes Scarcity Of Lower Naira Denominations by bubueden: 12:16pm On Feb 14, 2018
from what i gathered, NAN quoted sources at the CBN as saying that for over a year now, the apex bank did not award contract for the printing of the notes such as N5, N10, N20 and N50 usually done abroad.
It said it gathered that the recently printed notes in circulation — N200, N500 and N1,000 — were produced by the Nigeria Security Printing and Minting plc (NSPM).
NSPM produces currency notes and coins for the CBN and a wide range of security documents for the federal, state and local government establishments, commercial banks and blue chip companies.
According to the NSPM website, the company has the ability to print over 40 million notes weekly. However, the high cost of printing banknotes forced CBN to refrain from giving contracts for their production.
The cost of printing N50 is almost the same as N1,000. Printing small denominations costs more than the value and with the present economic situation, it makes sense to print higher notes which can be done locally by NSPM.
Re: Senate Probes Scarcity Of Lower Naira Denominations by bigpicture001: 12:16pm On Feb 14, 2018
Chibabe1:

We are saying same thing. Organizing the pricing system, easing transactions and improving the economy will begin by bringing down price of commodities so that consumers can actually make use such denominations and this will make the denominations have more value and be in circulation. Have you noticed that merchants just round up prices of commodities just cos of change wahala??
..chy,its not the same thing..one tried to lower inflation nd general price levels while the other tries to ease difficulty in transactions...in the 1st one,consumers mostly complain abt the high cost of things,while in the second one,they are not very worried abt the high cost,instead,they are frustrating with the unavailability of change for transactions
Re: Senate Probes Scarcity Of Lower Naira Denominations by Makschinchin: 12:17pm On Feb 14, 2018
careytommy7:
It's mainly the N100 note cos bubu doesn't want to print new ones after GEJ removed the arabic inscriptions when the new design was launched in 2014.

When last did any of you see brand new N100 notes?

Yesterday o.. even the man who gave it to me as my change gave it out reluctantly

Re: Senate Probes Scarcity Of Lower Naira Denominations by Bluffly: 12:38pm On Feb 14, 2018
EarthXmetahuman:
Lower denomination is practically useless, why won't it be scarce?

Can't remember the last time I saw 5 naira.
Those notes are not useless rather Nigerians are greedy and senseless
Re: Senate Probes Scarcity Of Lower Naira Denominations by donswaga: 12:59pm On Feb 14, 2018
I beg na waiting no scars for this present regime.
Re: Senate Probes Scarcity Of Lower Naira Denominations by EarthXmetahuman: 2:40pm On Feb 14, 2018
Bluffly:

Those notes are not useless rather Nigerians are greedy and senseless
how are Nigerians greedy when the value of naira fell by almost 150% over night.
Re: Senate Probes Scarcity Of Lower Naira Denominations by Chibabe1(f): 3:01pm On Feb 14, 2018
bigpicture001:
..chy,its not the same thing..one tried to lower inflation nd general price levels while the other tries to ease difficulty in transactions...in the 1st one,consumers mostly complain abt the high cost of things,while in the second one,they are not very worried abt the high cost,instead,they are frustrating with the unavailability of change for transactions

Consumers are not worried about high cost of things Are you in Nigeria with me at all?
Re: Senate Probes Scarcity Of Lower Naira Denominations by mommaJ(f): 5:18pm On Feb 14, 2018
GOOD DAY NAIRALANDERS.I M STILL HERE...DONT GIVE UP ON ME YET. https://www.nairaland.com/4312232/husbanda-good-man-help#64524181
Re: Senate Probes Scarcity Of Lower Naira Denominations by luvprince4real(m): 6:01pm On Feb 14, 2018
A country whose all commodity prices are round figures like 20#, 200# etc can not progress economically. In a developed country it is difficult to by things at round figure price. U will see prices like 25 euro 31 cent. Nigeria should be seeing prices like 221 naira 33 kobo then u will see the real value of those coins. A country without coins is not progressing, self selling machines that accept coins should be installed in places. #bringbackourcoins
Re: Senate Probes Scarcity Of Lower Naira Denominations by Cromagnon: 7:33pm On Feb 14, 2018
BeeBeeOoh:

http://punchng.com/senate-probes-scarcity-of-lower-naira-denominations/
they should turn 100 naira below to coins abeg so we don't need to reprint for next 50yrs
Re: Senate Probes Scarcity Of Lower Naira Denominations by boyjo: 10:03am On Feb 16, 2018
Chibabe1:

I bet u didn't understand me. Hope you recover from your shock soon.

grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Onyedikachukwu Anambra: APC South-East Wing And Their Penchant To Live A Lie / Ijaw Youths Threaten Nigerians - Vote For Jonathan Or Face War ! ! ! ! ! ! ! / Who Was Nigeria's "Best" Military Ruler/Dictator/Despot/Tyrant?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.