Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,171 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:26 AM

Ash Wednesday!!! ; All You Need To Know - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Ash Wednesday!!! ; All You Need To Know (11272 Views)

Today Is Ash Wednesday; Beginning Of Lent / Insecurity: Catholics In Nigeria To Wear Black Outfits On Ash Wednesday / Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ash Wednesday!!! ; All You Need To Know by mattiecute(f): 11:14am On Feb 14, 2018
Geestunnar:

The passage you quoted is talking about ur appearance when u fast. That you should not look as thou are fasting. The passage didn't make any reference to ashes..Please correct that.
Una try oo when una dey waste ink ontop d lost soul... Smh
Re: Ash Wednesday!!! ; All You Need To Know by Geestunnar(m): 11:19am On Feb 14, 2018
mattiecute:
Una try oo when una dey waste ink ontop d lost soul... Smh
Hehe
Re: Ash Wednesday!!! ; All You Need To Know by Ubenedictus(m): 11:42am On Feb 14, 2018
ikorodureporta:

u know i'm ref to this portion Matt6v16-18....
ash in itself doesn't mean anyone is fasting, that passage is against showing you are fasting etc. ash is a sign of repentance and there is nothing in scriptures that says repentance shouldn't be shown
Re: Ash Wednesday!!! ; All You Need To Know by SlayerForever: 11:46am On Feb 14, 2018
gistsky:
Well, thank God I'm not dust and wont return there. I'm a living soul (redeemed) seated wt Christ.

Dust you are and to dust you shall return. You are very confused.
Re: Ash Wednesday!!! ; All You Need To Know by SlayerForever: 11:51am On Feb 14, 2018
Emmyjah50:

Just a Catholic doctrine with no Christian foundation.

Nothing ash in any Wednesday.
Jesus never practice it nor His Apostles.

Show me one scriptural references on Ash Wednesday then I will turn a Roman Catholic.

So observing fast,abstaining from all earthly pleasures,reflecting on Jesus' death and acknowledging our sins is a bad thing? You're lost bro.
Re: Ash Wednesday!!! ; All You Need To Know by SlayerForever: 11:54am On Feb 14, 2018
Geestunnar:

The passage you quoted is talking about ur appearance when u fast. That you should not look as thou are fasting. The passage didn't make any reference to ashes..Please correct that.
Re: Ash Wednesday!!! ; All You Need To Know by Opinionated: 11:59am On Feb 14, 2018
gistsky:
Well, thank God I'm not dust and wont return there. I'm a living soul (redeemed) seated wt Christ.

yea dude ....i can see your immortality
Re: Ash Wednesday!!! ; All You Need To Know by Opinionated: 12:03pm On Feb 14, 2018
SlayerForever:

So observing fast,abstaining from all earthly pleasures,reflecting on Jesus' death and acknowledging our sins is a bad thing? You're lost bro.

i dont know when catholics will stop arguing with a non

cos it just like u re playing a loud speaker for a deaf...he is not hearin
Re: Ash Wednesday!!! ; All You Need To Know by MosesAlex: 12:07pm On Feb 14, 2018
bloodofthelamb:
I am no longer dust for I now bear the image of the second and last Adam{Jesus Christ}.

The Man from above.

Ps 90:12 Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom.

Psalm 39:4
"LORD, make me to know my end And what is the extent of my days; Let me know how transient I am.

Ecclesiastes 7:2
It is better to go to a house of mourning Than to go to a house of feasting, Because that is the end of every man, And the living takes it to heart.
Re: Ash Wednesday!!! ; All You Need To Know by archangel1(m): 12:07pm On Feb 14, 2018
If you are angry with Catholics celebrating Lent, stop celebrating the likes of Easter, Christmas, Valentine even Sunday likewise; they all have root to 'pagan'celebrations ;as some 'I- too-know christains' have just alleged here about Ash Wednesday.
For those quoting Bible for the Catholics, one thing that can not be taken away from them
is that their belief is hinged on three items: the Sacred Traditions, the Sacred Scriptures & the Sacred Magisterium. And this is where the Catholic Church is highly minscontrued. What ever the Catholic Church teaches and practices are always predicated on these three main items. No matter the angle you are coming from, Religion is highly technical and profound because of its spiritual undertone.
Instead of wasting your time criticising the Catholics for their Lenten rituals, I pray you channel such energy on those who are yet to profess Christ as their Lord and Saviour. At least, inspite of their numerous acts of 'Paganism', Catholic Church profess Christ as the Saviour of Mankind. My Pentecostal Brothers, Channel your energy on the world of Heathens.
I strongly believe that this thread was formed for reflection and not for Biblical argument.
I wish all successful a Lenten Season.

1 Like

Re: Ash Wednesday!!! ; All You Need To Know by Valfrankie(m): 12:50pm On Feb 14, 2018
sweetilicious:
THANK GOD I WAS ABLE TO RESIST THIS MEAT I USED IN COOKING THIS MORNING.
I envy you. I savoured mine quite deliberately after breaking my fast and now I'm full of remorse.

1 Like

Re: Ash Wednesday!!! ; All You Need To Know by SlayerForever: 1:26pm On Feb 14, 2018
Opinionated:

i dont know when catholics will stop arguing with a non

cos it just like u re playing a loud speaker for a deaf...he is not hearin

It's unbelievable really. Smh
Re: Ash Wednesday!!! ; All You Need To Know by hadow(m): 1:30pm On Feb 14, 2018
you all are saying proudly Catholic but no one has said proudly Christians
Re: Ash Wednesday!!! ; All You Need To Know by bloodofthelamb(m): 1:39pm On Feb 14, 2018
MosesAlex:

"LORD, make me to know my end And what is the extent of my days; Let me know how transient I am.

It is better to go to a house of mourning Than to go to a house of feasting, Because that is the end of every man, And the living takes it to heart.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ash Wednesday!!! ; All You Need To Know by bloodofthelamb(m): 1:51pm On Feb 14, 2018
[quote author=MosesAlex post=65057945]

It is better to go to a house of mourning Than to go to a house of feasting, Because that is the end of every man, And the living takes it to heart.[/quote

This scripture you qquoted was before Christ{BC}. Everything changed after Christ{AC}.

Remember not the former things for JESUS has done an incredible thing for mankind.

Embrace it and never let it go.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ash Wednesday!!! ; All You Need To Know by MosesAlex: 2:12pm On Feb 14, 2018
Some people need to go to comprehension class. Would you not one day die (a physical death)? Or those in the new testament don't die
Re: Ash Wednesday!!! ; All You Need To Know by sweetilicious(f): 11:27pm On Feb 14, 2018
Valfrankie:
I envy you. I savoured mine quite deliberately after breaking my fast and now I'm full of remorse.
Eiyaa.It wasn't' easy o.Most especially when you know the whole meat belongs to you alone.Staring at you could be so tempting
Re: Ash Wednesday!!! ; All You Need To Know by sandrahnaub(f): 1:25am On Feb 15, 2018
Loyalblak007:
Thank you OP wink
you welcome kiss

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ash Wednesday!!! ; All You Need To Know by sandrahnaub(f): 1:31am On Feb 15, 2018
akdjr:
Nice enlightenment. @ Op,in your last paragraph u said devout Christian will wear cross on their head as a sign of grief for the crucification of Jesus christ. Now my question is why showing grief when the same teaching of gospel tells us that Jesus died for our sins and so we are redeemed. We should be happy instead of showing grief.
this period we remember the sufferings Our Lord Jesus Christ went thru
Re: Ash Wednesday!!! ; All You Need To Know by Themandator: 7:07am On Feb 15, 2018
Geestunnar:

Ur countenance and appearance is what the passage u quoted is referring to, that people should not be able to tell that you are fasting. The reception of ashes signifies the beginning of fasting, so u positing that ashes on the forehead disfigures ur appearance is what is mind boggling.

Please give me a scripture where this ash Wednesday was endorsed by the Apostles or spoken of by the Lord
Re: Ash Wednesday!!! ; All You Need To Know by ikorodureporta: 7:38am On Feb 15, 2018
I jst have to add this here without quoting anyone... When you study matthew chapter6, Christ taught us how to pray, he made comparism to 'hypocrites' who stand on open places to show all that they are praying....he now moved to the issue of fasting where people use sackcloth & ashes to disfigure themselves, as such make them also 'hypocrites' because they are showing all that they are fasting.... He now said anoint yr head & wipe it off. I'm not saying you shldnt put on ash as an anointing, but the act of parading the streets with ash is what matt6v16-18 addresses. It explains why we have to behave more mature as christians, that its something 'Spiritual', as long as you are at peace with our neighbours & with a good will with our act ( same as forgiveness & repentance ). Repentance is between you & God
Re: Ash Wednesday!!! ; All You Need To Know by gistsky: 7:45pm On Feb 15, 2018
SlayerForever:

Dust you are and to dust you shall return. You are very confused.

Accept Jesus and get out of ur sinful confusion.
If u stil return to dust, then wht price did Jesus pay?
Re: Ash Wednesday!!! ; All You Need To Know by blessedmeme: 2:59pm On Feb 20, 2018
Emmyjah50:

Just a Catholic doctrine with no Christian foundation.

Nothing ash in any Wednesday.
Jesus never practice it nor His Apostles.

Show me one scriptural references on Ash Wednesday then I will turn a Roman Catholic.

Don't misunderstood me, formally I don't understand what Ash Wednesday is all about and their believe on it

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Easter: Bishop Hilary Okeke Bars Members From Chieftaincy Titles In Nnewi / Why Are Most Christians Stingy When It Comes To Church Offerings? / Time To Laugh - Post Your Funny Religion Memes, Quotes E.t.c

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.