Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,752 members, 7,824,158 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:23 AM

Can Freelance Be The Answer To The Prayers Of Unemployed Nigerians? - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Can Freelance Be The Answer To The Prayers Of Unemployed Nigerians? (15418 Views)

Unemployed Nigerians Find Solace In Sports Betting, Make It Full-time Job / Can Affiliate Marketing Be The Ultimate Employer Of Unemployed Nigerian Youths? / 10 Questions Unemployed Nigerians Are Asking About Freelancing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can Freelance Be The Answer To The Prayers Of Unemployed Nigerians? by Nobody: 3:15pm On Feb 15, 2018
Freelancing is good, but get ready to be tagged a yahoo boy by gullible folks and even the police. Because to them it is impossible to make money online without defrauding someone.
We have a long way to go in this country.

3 Likes

Re: Can Freelance Be The Answer To The Prayers Of Unemployed Nigerians? by Nobody: 3:32pm On Feb 15, 2018
I believe that freelancing is the way.

[url]eLanceNG.Com[/url] was founded on that premise.
Re: Can Freelance Be The Answer To The Prayers Of Unemployed Nigerians? by Nobody: 3:41pm On Feb 15, 2018
youngmajor:
[img]https://3.bp..com/-3ZQLJ49I500/WoVk3a1gKqI/AAAAAAAAAKg/mn_P1oh8EkUB73rPj4pbrqB3W3q_z52rQCLcBGAs/s1600/freelance-job-nigeria.jpeg[/img]
What do you do when you have skills it took you time, efforts and money to acquire but no organization wants to hire you because the economy is bad or they already have enough staff on their payroll? The answer is pretty straightforward – freelance. The concept of freelance has been used in many developed countries and has successfully curbed unemployment issues to a fairly large extent.

Freelance is an arrangement where you work independently and sell your skills directly to various clients. Unlike regular jobs, with freelance, you’re in charge of everything. Freelance is a business even though it’s also professional in nature. If you treat it that way, the days of worrying about good jobs may just be over. The reason is that the priority of clients is that you make quality deliveries within the stipulated deadline and they will gladly pay you for your time and efforts.

Take a cue from the US

As stated earlier, unemployed (or underemployed) people in developed nations have resorted to freelance rather than crime or staying idle. This is a sharp contrast to what many people do in Nigeria. In fact, Forbes conducted a research on this subject and found out that 35 percent of the U.S. working population are freelancers. That translates to about 55 million Americans! They don’t work under organizations; they don’t have a boss; they don’t complain about the government as we do but they’re earning legitimately! That speaks volumes.

Why freelance will still be relevant in future

One of the concerns of many people is that freelance will fade in a matter of years and they’d be back to square one. Well, if you’re one of them, it’s time to burst your bubble! Freelance will continue to be relevant in future provided there is a demand for various skills. It is this continued demand of skills that determines the continued relevance of freelance.

The next logical question is, “will the demand for skills continue?” The answer is yes. Many start-ups and even companies prefer to give their projects to freelancers because it doesn’t make sense to employ someone to get the job done.

Take for instance, if a company wants to give their website a new look and are in need of a web designer and a content writer, it doesn’t make financial sense to employ people for jobs that’s going to take less than a month at most to complete. So who’s going to keep paying those two individuals if they are hired? Secondly, it’s cheaper to hire a freelancer than employ someone to do some work than increase the number of staff for the same purpose. From both perspectives, freelance is win-win situation for clients and for you too!

3 reasons why Nigerians should start freelancing today

1. Everyone has a skill

We all are blessed with skills through which we express ourselves and earn a living. A painter expresses himself through his arts; a creative writer expresses himself through his stories etc. Some are wired to be geeks and therefore find programming to be fun. Others love languages and seem to be able to learn them effortlessly. All these seem like ordinary abilities but they are actually marketable skills.

No matter the kind of skills you have, you will always find people who are looking to pay for it. So why be so unkind to yourself and not use the skills to earn a living?

2. The income is attractive

Ask any freelancer and they’d tell you there’s no limit to what you can earn from freelance. This is not the regular job scenario where you’d wait for months or years to have a pay rise. If you’re not content with what you’re earning as a freelancer, you can always push up the price by improving the quality you offer or you can pitch your skills to new clients.

What more? In a country like Nigeria where the Naira has refused to appreciate in value, you get to earn way bigger than your real earnings, all thanks to the foreign exchange rates.

3. It works for both the employed and unemployed folks

There are several success stories of people who started freelancing while still working at their regular jobs, but eventually quitted when it was obvious that freelancing fetched them more money than what they earned. Others turned into freelancing because they couldn’t find any offline job to do.

Either case, the point is clear that you can take freelance as a part time business and also a full time business. If you take it as a part time business, you may just have to turn down many jobs and limit yourself to the workload you can finish in your spare time. If you want it full time too, it’s still awesome!

Okay, I know I said 3 reasons but let me add a bonus point:

Flexibility and freedom: Freelancing will give you so much freedom and flexibility than you can imagine. For instance, you can choose your working hours and even when you go on vacations t will. You have the freedom to begin and then hone your skills on the job till you become an expert.

More:
http://www.nigeriaonlinebusiness.com/2018/02/can-freelance-be-answer-to-prayers-of.html

NO.

Almost all freelance jobs in America comes from within America or Europe.
Such jobs are preserved for their citizens or residents in most cases.
Re: Can Freelance Be The Answer To The Prayers Of Unemployed Nigerians? by Nobody: 3:44pm On Feb 15, 2018
One year after I started freelance writing, I knew I would never ever in my life work for any organisation in Nigeria as a paid employee.

Even if I were to work, it would be in a skilled capacity and above middle-management.

But this thing is not a get-rich-quick-scheme. It does need high-levels of commitment and attention to details. Anyone who puts their mind to it can learn. In the coming years, I would completely leave the freelance scene once I have my own operations running. However, the knowledge I have now as regards the internet economy is something I would never have been able to acquire working in a 9-5 job.

The world of freelance work is reportedly worth $200 billion according to a report by Hubstaff.com/Accenture. 35% of US work-force are remote workers, 20% and 18% for the UK and India respectively. These figures can only but grow.

We can bring in billions of dollars into our economy if we massively embrace freelancing.

Today, I went food shopping and blew more than my entire two months salary at my previous job on groceries and other needed household items. Some of the items for me, some for my mom, gifts for my niblings. I didn't even think about the money. In my mind, I was like "thank you Tim Lee Berners, Steve Kassriel, oyibo people, thank you!" with smiles all over my face. The cashier noticed and asked, "what is making you look so happy?"

"Freelancing"

I told her.

Get skilled at something today and change your story.

I am a writer and marketing professional. I've been doing this for the last three years and I started out with little expertise, but in that time, I have come a long, long way.

There is no spoon feeding anyone in this business. All you have to do is research freelance work opportunities, gauge your skill level to determine how much work you need to do to become competent, and then go from there.

Here on Nairaland, especially the Business section, there is an abundance of materials to get one started. Checkout Upwork.com, Freelancer.com, Weworkremotely.com to see what jobs are currently on offer. People have been writing about freelancing on Nairaland for a very long time, I am not here to re-invent the wheel, my people.

5 Likes

Re: Can Freelance Be The Answer To The Prayers Of Unemployed Nigerians? by Krafty006: 3:44pm On Feb 15, 2018
Re: Can Freelance Be The Answer To The Prayers Of Unemployed Nigerians? by SaintHilary(m): 3:49pm On Feb 15, 2018
Nuelcoco:
The only freelance job in Nigeria that pay is yahoo yahoo oh! !!!!
Nigerians am I lying?
True Talk cheesy
Re: Can Freelance Be The Answer To The Prayers Of Unemployed Nigerians? by bedfordng(m): 3:55pm On Feb 15, 2018
hhmmn
Re: Can Freelance Be The Answer To The Prayers Of Unemployed Nigerians? by shiffynaani(m): 4:05pm On Feb 15, 2018
Pls Sir, Can You Help Me? Things Are Just Too Hard For Me Here. I Really Need Someone's Help
Re: Can Freelance Be The Answer To The Prayers Of Unemployed Nigerians? by writeprof(m): 4:21pm On Feb 15, 2018
EgunMogaji:
I believe that freelancing is the way.
[url]eLanceNG.Com[/url] was founded on that premise.
who founded it? And what is their angle of freelancing?
Re: Can Freelance Be The Answer To The Prayers Of Unemployed Nigerians? by writeprof(m): 4:25pm On Feb 15, 2018
Raiyell:
One year after I started freelance writing, I knew I would never ever in my life work for any organisation in Nigeria as a paid employee.

Even if I were to work, it would be in a skilled capacity and above middle-management.

But this thing is not a get-rich-quick-scheme. It does need high-levels of commitment and attention to details. Anyone who puts their mind to it can learn. In the coming years, I would completely leave the freelance scene once I have my own operations running. However, the knowledge I have now as regards the internet economy is something I would never have been able to acquire working in a 9-5 job.

The world of freelance work is reportedly worth $200 billion according to a report by Hubstaff.com/Accenture. 35% of US work-force are remote workers, 20% and 18% for the UK and India respectively. These figures can only but grow.

We can bring in billions of dollars into our economy if we massively embrace freelancing.

Today, I went food shopping and blew more than my entire two month salary at my previous job on groceries and other needed household needs. Some of the items for me, some for my mom, gifts for my niblings. I didn't even think about the money. In my mind, I was like "thank you Tim Lee Berners, Steve Kassriel, oyibo people, thank" you!" with smiles all over my face. The cashier noticed and asked me, "what is making you look so happy?"

"Freelancing"

I told her.

This is a good recommendation, however, I think it would be better if you give some practical directions to interested people. Many write-ups on freelancing sseem to be geared towards drawing traffic to websites and not intended to encourage/motivate people to go into it.

1 Like

Re: Can Freelance Be The Answer To The Prayers Of Unemployed Nigerians? by psamie(m): 4:27pm On Feb 15, 2018
princeking2:
How does one get started?
What are the required marketable skills?

I am a freelancer on fiverr...here is a link to my profile: https://www.fiverr.com/megorwel
now, there are different level of skills for different category of jobs, it all depends on your capacity, but so far you can surf the web and basically use a PC, then you can do basic jobs on freelancing like Virtual assisting, data entry, web scrapping, etc. the freelance marketplace is very vast, if you are really interested in it, you can contact me and I will help you as much as I can.
Re: Can Freelance Be The Answer To The Prayers Of Unemployed Nigerians? by Djliskid(m): 4:29pm On Feb 15, 2018
Interesting Topic... Freelancer indeed is a Life saver when it comes to using your skills.. i am a freelancer for over 2 years now i setup full wordpress and do On page SEO. i believe many can buy courses online and join the moving train....
Re: Can Freelance Be The Answer To The Prayers Of Unemployed Nigerians? by Nowenuse: 4:31pm On Feb 15, 2018
efilefun:
Freelancing had been a lifesaver for some people in naija, thou freelancing requires dedication and high level of professionalism if you must excel in it. If you think freelancing can be handled like the normal 9 - 5 thingy then you will be back to square 1 in no time. Just on nairaland i know about 5 people who are living fine with their families with funds from freelancing. Just have good knowledge in ur field and you can hit it big as a freelancer cuz people will surely keep recommending you.

Exactly. To be relevant in your field or even successful at all, you must be very very good and make the most of every opportunity you have.
Re: Can Freelance Be The Answer To The Prayers Of Unemployed Nigerians? by Nowenuse: 4:34pm On Feb 15, 2018
psamie:

I am a freelancer on fiverr...here is a link to my profile: https://www.fiverr.com/megorwel
now, there are different level of skills for different category of jobs, it all depends on your capacity, but so far you can surf the web and basically use a PC, then you can do basic jobs on freelancing like Virtual assisting, data entry, web scrapping, etc. the freelance marketplace is very vast, if you are really interested in it, you can contact me and I will help you as much as I can.

I have a question pls do you mind to answer?

Why did you have to use a white profile? Don't people with Black African profiles have any chances of hiring opportunities on that site?
Re: Can Freelance Be The Answer To The Prayers Of Unemployed Nigerians? by psamie(m): 4:41pm On Feb 15, 2018
itsmeurLady:
First to comment grin grin it feels good actually but it will feel better if one shocks me with a job alongside

OP concerning wat u wrote, freelancing has its restrictions I guess? I mean, can anyone do this? Especially when the person is not a writer, programmer, designer Cs me the only thing I know how to design is clothes, can freelancing work for me too? Enlighten me please!!! Job hunting is becoming difficult by the day sad

anyone who has a basic knowledge of a PC and can surf the internet can be a freelancer, you must not be heavily skilled in graphics, programming or others, I am a freelance graphic designer but i also combine it with basic skills which I think you have, so far as you can surf the web, I have a friend who shocked us by freelancing with his phone when he had no money to get a PC and today he is doing well, you just need to get little info about how to start. this is my freelance account; https://www.fiverr.com/megorwel. you can see for yourself
Re: Can Freelance Be The Answer To The Prayers Of Unemployed Nigerians? by Nobody: 4:41pm On Feb 15, 2018
Nairaland is such a gifted place.

I know this topic will change someone story just as I opened a topic like this sometime last year after I resigned from My paid job to face my home.

I got tired so quickly doing domestic chores daily, I had worked for over 8 years after school so I thought sitting at home will be fun. Gbam, I went to the business session and landed one of these trainers thread, paid 5k to get trained on how to succeed as a freelancer.

Not easy initially cos of my skills but I persisted. To cut the long tori, I have two long term offers now! I get invites from clients but too busy to accept other offers now.

Freelancing is good, freelancing pays, I get over 2X of what I used to earn when I was working just at home. No Lagos hussling, hold ups, no late night movement, no early morning waking up, just at the convenience of my home. I have all the time taking care of my kids.

Freelancing is fun, freelancing pays.

2 Likes

Re: Can Freelance Be The Answer To The Prayers Of Unemployed Nigerians? by Subudu(m): 4:46pm On Feb 15, 2018
Djliskid:
Interesting Topic... Freelancer indeed is a Life saver when it comes to using your skills.. i am a freelancer for over 2 years now i setup full wordpress and do On page SEO. i believe many can buy courses online and join the moving train....

I am already a freelance writer on fiverr but I want to go into WordPress installation. I have created an account already and looking forward to creating my first gig. I know about web design, html, css, and little php. Would you be able to guide me on my first few projects?
Re: Can Freelance Be The Answer To The Prayers Of Unemployed Nigerians? by psamie(m): 4:55pm On Feb 15, 2018
Nowenuse:

I have a question pls do you mind to answer?

Why did you have to use a white profile? Don't people with Black African profiles have any chances of hiring opportunities on that site?

sure, why won't I? we are here to share knowlegede and educate, you seeonce you register on fiverr, their systems automatically take note of your location and puts that on your profile location, and the thing is that nigeria has a very bad reputation online (fraudulent activities), though I know a few freelancers who use nigerian profiles but majority of us use foreign profiles, cos it will be very very very very difficult for you to get jobs especially when starting , so what we do is to use a foreign country (along with a foreign profile) in order to gain the confidence of clients and inturn get jobs, mind you there is no way you can defraud people because there are alot of things to checkmate your activities, so if you don't deliver what the customer wants and do it ontime, you can't get paid...there is alot to know about this, the key is getting started ASAP cos thousands of people register everyday and the marketing is getting competitive and over populated. you can contact me for more info.

1 Like

Re: Can Freelance Be The Answer To The Prayers Of Unemployed Nigerians? by psamie(m): 5:04pm On Feb 15, 2018
PrecisionFx:

NO.

Almost all freelance jobs in America comes from within America or Europe.
Such jobs are preserved for their citizens or residents in most cases.

that is not true bro...i have been freelancing for quite some time now and we have a group of freelancers on WhatsApp where we interact, freelancing jobs come from all over the world, you will be surprised that I have done jobs for people in Nigeria that I met on freelancing platform,
there are no preserved jobs for a particular region except where the client has a job that he specifically needs the services of someone who is resident in a particular place, which is just like 1 out of every 20 jobs. point of correction, not almost all freelance jobs come from America, jobs come form every part of the world. I have Indian clients, African clients, South American clients and American clients.
Re: Can Freelance Be The Answer To The Prayers Of Unemployed Nigerians? by MChaze25(m): 5:20pm On Feb 15, 2018
Well freelancing is bae..being an online network marketer and consultant, last year i started making 40-50k in a week..calculate that in one month!
I was my own boss and the recommendations poured in like madness even till now.

Any week I make 10-15k, I consider it a bad week. I pray and work harder.
Its not easy being a freelancer in marketing coz your clients need results to sell their brands fast or else they stop coming to you..

My friends want to key in but I keep telling them, this job needs stamina and energy.
Not just your usual 9-5 pm jobs.

I now have foreign clients too, thanks to God.

Many people still think am a yahoo boy but I don't even use Laptop... Lol

The harder you work, the luckier you get.

3 Likes

Re: Can Freelance Be The Answer To The Prayers Of Unemployed Nigerians? by tendareo: 5:27pm On Feb 15, 2018
Yes o it has saved my life. I'm my own boss controlling my own time.

I am a freelance Dredge consultant with specialties in Ellicott and Damen Dredgers

http://chineduetokwudo.com.ng

Life has never been better.
Re: Can Freelance Be The Answer To The Prayers Of Unemployed Nigerians? by quinSonia(f): 5:29pm On Feb 15, 2018
youngmajor

pls how do I start free lancing

olurich01

bros me need to learn free lancing very badly
Re: Can Freelance Be The Answer To The Prayers Of Unemployed Nigerians? by nolanpatt33: 5:37pm On Feb 15, 2018
Wejustok2:

for your mind wetin i fit do for 500naira or 1k self infact free fool

bros abeg u sabi do US NUMBER ABI..I need m bad bad
Re: Can Freelance Be The Answer To The Prayers Of Unemployed Nigerians? by iykepromotions: 5:46pm On Feb 15, 2018
I don't think so. big effort and time is involved unlike domain flipping.
Re: Can Freelance Be The Answer To The Prayers Of Unemployed Nigerians? by Maj196(m): 5:50pm On Feb 15, 2018
psamie:

Interested, ow can i reach u?
Re: Can Freelance Be The Answer To The Prayers Of Unemployed Nigerians? by Nobody: 5:55pm On Feb 15, 2018
writeprof:

who founded it? And what is their angle of freelancing?

I founded it and is one of my ideas that will be heavily seeded in a few years. It is functioning though but I haven't spent energy on fully developing it yet due to conflicting resources.

1 Like

Re: Can Freelance Be The Answer To The Prayers Of Unemployed Nigerians? by hesilo(m): 6:01pm On Feb 15, 2018
Raiyell:

Today, I went food shopping and blew more than my entire two month salary at my previous job on groceries and other needed household needs. Some of the items for me, some for my mom, gifts for my niblings. I didn't even think about the money. In my mind, I was like "thank you Tim Lee Berners, Steve Kassriel, oyibo people, thank" you!" with smiles all over my face. The cashier noticed and asked me, "what is making you look so happy?"

"Freelancing"

I told her.

What exactly do you do....what kind of skill does one need to have. Please help a brother currently out of job. I need to b engaged badly. 07061232381we can chat privately. Thanks

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Black Market Dollar To Naira Exchange Rate November 8 2023 / Identifying Scams Online And Avoiding Them / Encounter With A Bvn Scammer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.