Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,740 members, 7,817,042 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:34 AM

Man Cries Out As Girlfriend's Family Call Off Marriage Over Osu Caste - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Man Cries Out As Girlfriend's Family Call Off Marriage Over Osu Caste (391 Views)

My Fiancee Back Off Marriage Plans. But Step Sister Ready. / GUYS HELP!! I Lost My 3years Marriage Over April Fool Prank (see What Happened) / Court Dissolves 16-year-old Marriage Over “witchcraft” Suspicion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Man Cries Out As Girlfriend's Family Call Off Marriage Over Osu Caste by bambi2016: 11:55am On Feb 15, 2018
A Facebook user, Didi Mehn  has narrated how his girlfriend and family initially accepted his marriage proposal, but went against it after they discovered his cultural background.

Didi  revealed his girfriend’s family disovered he is an Osu (outcast), and they called off the engagement between himself and their daughter.

He wrote;

“We so much love ourselves… We’ve been together in difficult times… I think she’s the woman I would want to spend the rest of my life with.

She has already said yes to my marriage proposal, but there’s a problem.. She’s Amadi while am an Osu…

Her parents initially accepted me wholeheartedly but after investigations they made about my family.. they discovered am an Osu and now they said that the relationship should end, reason is because they don’t wanna give their daughter to an Osu…

Am so confused right now,, please what do I do

The Osu caste system is an ancient practice in Igboland that discourages social interaction and marriage with a group of persons called Osu.

Osu are the people dedicated to the gods; so they are regarded as slaves, strangers, outcasts, and untouchables.

Oral history has it that an osu was a respected monk devoted to the service and worship of a deity. The origin of the osu caste system can be traced back to the era when deities were believed to ask for human sacrifice during festivals in order to clean the land from abomination thus leading to the purchase of a slave by the people.

The osu caste system also has its origin traced to the Nri Kingdom. It is believed that the Nris possessed a hereditary power and thus do go about cleansing various kingdoms of abomination; any community that refuses to be cleansed are called osus.

Another view on the history of the osu caste system centres on ostracization. This occurs when a person or group of persons who refuse the orders of a king or the decision of a community are banished from the community thus resulting to the victim and its generation being called osus.

However,  people do not really practice the culture as it were before because of civilization and the church.

Source: http://dailyleakblog.com/2018/02/15/nigerian-man-cries-out-as-his-girlfriends-family-call-off-their-engagement-because-hes-an-osu-outcast/

(1) (Reply)

Obedience Training. / List Of National Food Security Council Members Appointed By Buhari / If You Are LOST In LIFE, This Is For You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.