Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,748 members, 7,809,859 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:07 PM

Onaiyekan Wants FG To Sanction Perpetrators Of Hate Speech - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Onaiyekan Wants FG To Sanction Perpetrators Of Hate Speech (362 Views)

NBC To Sanction Nigeria Info Over Mailafia Interview / Benue’s Anti-open Grazing Law: Miyetti Allah Wants FG, NASS To Intervene / Jega Wants FG To Hands-off On Appointment Of INEC Chair (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Onaiyekan Wants FG To Sanction Perpetrators Of Hate Speech by agwom(m): 7:21pm On Feb 15, 2018
The Catholic Archbishop of Abuja Dioceses, John Cardinal Onaiyekan, on Thursday in Abuja, advised the Federal Government to sanction perpetrators of hate speech in the country.

Onaiyekan gave the advice in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on the sideline of International Conference on “Love and Tolerance: Countering Violent Extremism,’’ organised by UFUK Dialogue Foundation.

Onaiyekan said that it was irresponsible for any politician or religious leader to turn Nigerians against one another in the name of canvassing for support by all means.

He admonished perpetrators of hate speech to understand that if they destroyed the nation, there would be nothing left for them to rule.

He advised politicians to embrace issue based campaign to ensure healthy rivalry in the forthcoming 2019 general elections.

Onaiyekan said it was politicians that did not have programme or clear ideas about what to do for the people that resort to hate speech because it was the easiest thing to do.

He, therefore, urged politicians to use their brain positively to come up with workable solutions to the nation’s socio-economic and political problems instead of promoting hatred among Nigerians.

The archbishop warned that any politician who had nothing to offer for progress and development of Nigeria should give way to those that could move the country forward.

“ Any politician that goes around spreading hate speech should be caution and should be sanction because it is irresponsible to turn Nigerians against one another.

“ Even if you want votes by all means at the end of the day if you destroy the nation there is nothing left to rule.

“ Politicians should put on their thinking cap to tell us what they are going to do take Nigeria out of our present problems.

“ If they cannot do that they should shut up and let others do it, “ he said.

The cleric appealed to all Nigerians to play the role of spreading good messages to counter the amount of so many bad messages going out.

“ We all know the good thing but it is only that we don’t have the energy to carry them out, “ Onaiyekan said.
Re: Onaiyekan Wants FG To Sanction Perpetrators Of Hate Speech by 2cato: 7:32pm On Feb 15, 2018
Bubu the founding father of hate and evil speech
Re: Onaiyekan Wants FG To Sanction Perpetrators Of Hate Speech by Nobody: 7:43pm On Feb 15, 2018
OK

but this is how to make

1$ = #1

the secret of the Nigerian dream

www.nairaland.com/4349453/secret-revealed-1-ngn-equate
Re: Onaiyekan Wants FG To Sanction Perpetrators Of Hate Speech by oganology33(m): 7:52pm On Feb 15, 2018
Funny. Cos FG can't sanction the Head of the FG who also doubles as the C in C of Hate Speech.
Re: Onaiyekan Wants FG To Sanction Perpetrators Of Hate Speech by omenkaLives(m): 8:01pm On Feb 15, 2018
I am totally pro this legislation.

Waiting to see if they'd accuse the archbishop of trying to gag the opposition.
Re: Onaiyekan Wants FG To Sanction Perpetrators Of Hate Speech by dlondonbadboy: 8:02pm On Feb 15, 2018
Allow hate speech biko...What exactly is hate speech? Somebody cannor speak his mind again?
Re: Onaiyekan Wants FG To Sanction Perpetrators Of Hate Speech by DerideGull(m): 8:06pm On Feb 15, 2018
I am totally against anything or law that will inhibit free speech in any form or shade. It is inhuman to ask a person to like or love everybody. There are people who deserved to be hated and a follow up of tongue lashing should not be out of place.
Re: Onaiyekan Wants FG To Sanction Perpetrators Of Hate Speech by 12submarine(m): 8:10pm On Feb 15, 2018
I am also in support. Hate speech cannot achieve anything for us, it will only lead to worse situation. Pls I'm a Nigerian and I have no other place to go. Dolts calling Nigeria shithole should do us a favour and damn get out of the shithole and never come back.
Re: Onaiyekan Wants FG To Sanction Perpetrators Of Hate Speech by 12submarine(m): 8:15pm On Feb 15, 2018
DerideGull:
I am totally against anything or law that will inhibit free speech in any form or shade. It is inhuman to ask a person to like or love everybody. There are people who deserved to be hated and a follow up of tongue lashing should not be out of place.
Freedom of speech and outright lying are not the same. Some people now lie blatantly and when invited for questioning, instead of explaining, they start screaming freedom of speech. If liars misleading the public can be tracked and fished out, I'm 100 percent in support. Anyone can hate, but lying shouldn't be mistaken for freedom of speech.
Re: Onaiyekan Wants FG To Sanction Perpetrators Of Hate Speech by TheKingIsHere: 8:19pm On Feb 15, 2018
Buhari and El rufai are the major culprits of hate speech

(1) (Reply)

Why We Appointed Wole Soyinka To Head Frsc 30 Years Ago- Ibb / Yobe State Governor Apologizes For Lying Over Rescue Of Dapchi Girls / INTERVIEW: How My Fight With Kwankwaso Started – Gov. Ganduje

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.