Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,785 members, 7,831,539 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 08:22 PM

Zuma's Statue: Fear Grips Okorocha As He Orders Security Men To Guide Ojukwu Cen - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Zuma's Statue: Fear Grips Okorocha As He Orders Security Men To Guide Ojukwu Cen (972 Views)

APC Removes Okorocha As Imo Campaign Coordinator / South Africans React To Zuma's Statue In Imo / Jacob Zuma's Statue In Imo State Versus Jacob Zuma's Statue In South Africa.PICS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Zuma's Statue: Fear Grips Okorocha As He Orders Security Men To Guide Ojukwu Cen by meethumb: 7:37am On Feb 16, 2018
Following the harsh comments trailing the statue erected by the Imo State governor, Rochas Okorocha in Owerri in honour of the ex-South African President, Jacob Zuma.

Nigerians and Imo Indigenes have expressed divergent views on what should become of the giant bronze statue, as he (Zuma) on Wednesday, resigned as the country’s president after pressure from his African National Congress (ANC) ruling party over allegations of corruption.

Recall that the unveiling of the humongous statue in October last year happened just as South Africa’s Supreme Court ruled that Zuma should face corruption charges.

In addition to the statue, Zuma was given a chieftaincy title and had a road named after him.

Okorocha also conferred on him the Grand Chancellor of the Order of Imo, the highest merit award of the state given to distinguished people.

Reacting over Zuma's resignation as South African president, The national chairman of the United Progressives Party (UPP), Chekwas Okorie, said erecting of a statue in Imo State in honour of Zuma by Okorocha was an embarrassment to the state and the entire country

He urged the people of the state to reject the All Progressives Congress (APC) in 2019.

He said: “I don’t have much interest in the statues that Okorocha erects, but I can tell you that his actions have become an embarrassment, not only to the people of the state, but the entire Igbo nation and the country.

“I am sure that Nigerians, not only Imo people, cannot wait to see the back of Okorocha and it wouldn’t be him that would bring down those embarrassing statues.

“The new government that would come after him would definitely bring down the statues because those things are temporary distractions.

“Rochas has negatively impacted on APC, that no matter who becomes the APC governorship candidate, the people of the state should not allow the person to win.

“Honestly, I admire the ANC and I envy the South African people because they had the unity of purpose.

“The opposition in South Africa has been vindicated because they have been saying the same thing up to the point that the ruling party had to redeem itself.

“I wish our democracy and civilisation has developed to that level, but it has not. Nigeria is not civilised. We are not too far away from primitivism,” Okorie stated.

Also reacting, Reverend Farther George Nwachukwu, Director of Social Communication of the Catholic Archdiocese of Owerri, said Zuma ought not to have been considered for any honour in the state because he was not known to have contributed anything to the state, neither was he an exemplary leader.

He said: “Zuma’s statute is not supposed to be erected in Imo State because he is not known to have done anything for the state and her people.

“He is the personal friend of Okorocha and even his visit to the state was a personal one and brought nothing to the state.

“To make matters worst he was given the highest merit award by the state and his statute erected in the Imo Hall of Fame.

“Now that he has been sacked for plethora of corruption charges the best thing to do is for the governor to immediately remove that statue, which in the first place should not have been erected for any reason whatever.

“If that statue is left to stand it means that Imo people condones corruption, because by the erection of that statue the state was made an international laughing stock.”

Meanwhile; Okechukwu Nwanguma, National Coordinator, Network on Police Reforms in Nigeria (NOPRIN) Foundation said: “That Zuma statue which Okorocha moulded just like many others, was just one of the pretexts to divert public funds.

“Asking him to dismantle Zuma’s statue would be a waste of time because in the first place, he didn’t mean it as an honour.”

Dr. Vitalis Ajumbe who was Commissioner for Information under Okorocha, said the statue should be immediately demolished and the fund used in erecting it be refunded to the coffers of the state government as it was a shame.

He said for the governor to have erected the statue exposed the people of the state to international ridicule.

“My take is that the Zuma statue be demolished. The people of the state should insist that the fund, which the governor expended in erecting that statue be refunded to the state coffers.

“It was a shame in the first instance to even think of moulding a statue for a man whose people have rejected for corrupt practices.

“That is the worst thing that has happened to the state, and as long as that statue is still standing Imo people will continue to be associated with the stigma of Zuma,” said Dr. Ajumbe.

However, Following the angst by the people over what they considered a gratuitous insult, government deployed operatives of the Nigerian Civil Defence and Security Corps (NCDSC) and members of the Imo Security Network to guard the entrance to the premises of the Ojukwu Centre where the Imo Hall of Fame is located, apparently to ensure that the statues especially that of Zuma was not pulled down.

Source: https://abacityblog.com/2018/02/zumas-statue-okorocha-orders-security-men-guide-ojukwu-centre-owerri.html

1 Like

Re: Zuma's Statue: Fear Grips Okorocha As He Orders Security Men To Guide Ojukwu Cen by Shaftrod(m): 7:46am On Feb 16, 2018
Lesson.....Statutes to me should only be erected after, not during the life time of people...They should serve as a record of history not one of whim.

2 Likes

Re: Zuma's Statue: Fear Grips Okorocha As He Orders Security Men To Guide Ojukwu Cen by prospero5(m): 7:48am On Feb 16, 2018
Shaftrod:
Lesson.....Statutes to me should only be erected after, not during the life time of people...They should serve as a record of history not one of whim.

if i say make i knack you one statue now them go say i wicked.

1 Like

Re: Zuma's Statue: Fear Grips Okorocha As He Orders Security Men To Guide Ojukwu Cen by debolayinka(m): 8:28am On Feb 16, 2018
A man that was rejected by his own people for corruption charges is celebrated in Nigeria.

APC is truly fighting corruption!

2 Likes

Re: Zuma's Statue: Fear Grips Okorocha As He Orders Security Men To Guide Ojukwu Cen by markfem2: 8:37am On Feb 16, 2018
Apc is truly an association of cursed souls.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Am I Wicked ? But My Cousin Voted Buhari / Keke Napep Ambulances Launched In Ebonyi State As Nigerians React (photos) / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.