Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,460 members, 7,781,320 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:26 PM

WEB...Travails of a detective. - Literature (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / WEB...Travails of a detective. (26961 Views)

First Middle-grade Mystery/detective Novel Series By An African Writer / THE WITNESS (A Detective Kolapo Story) / THE CHASE (A Detective Kolapo Story) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by d4real890(m): 5:09pm On Mar 08, 2018
what a nice story u got here,keep it coming bro More ink to your pen

1 Like

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by harjibolar10(m): 7:48am On Mar 09, 2018
jhurney:
EPISODE TWELVE

"Police officers!" Ayo said with a confused expression on his face.

"They are police officers for God's sake, it's their job" I replied him.

"Yes, but why will they come a year after his death?" Ayo asked no one in particular.

Hmm, i reasoned along with him, why did they wait for a year before coming? I asked myself.

"Anyways, i will look into their database and check for any records" Ayo sounded.

"How do you plan to access their database? and the database we are talking about, is it not all those registers used in their stations? Do you plan on stealing them?" I threw the question at him.

"Hehe, are you not a police officer in view?" He jokingly asked, and continued " the Nigerian police evolved already and on the global stage, they are ranking high with most developed nations. Their records are now computerized and accessing their records wont be a problem. That was why the SSS recruited me" He boasted with a smile forming on his lips.

"Hnmmm, i see. Then you must be a really good hacker" i said to him.
"Well, i prefer to be called a cracker" Ayo replied with a grin on his face. "I should be on my way" he added.

" Ohhh, that means we can still talk before i go back? Yea, i should have your number", he replied.

Ayo left after spending some more time with me at home, he collected my number and also made me tell him the year daddy died, he told me he needed it so as to make his efforts in accessing the police's database easier, he probably will just check for records based on that specific year' i had thought to myself.

I unplugged my phone from the electric extension box while switching on my phone, My discussion with Ayo made me totally forget about the phone. I opened my messenger app and saw lots of unread messages, i replied all except for one message from an unknown number, I locked my phone and slowly made my way to the bathroom, I really need that shower, i said to myself...
SPACING is one of the essential factors, that needed to be put in consideration in Literature...

Boss, beside that, You have a wonderful piece here sir

Keep em coming bro

1 Like

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by Nobody: 8:41am On Mar 09, 2018
You good to go bro, nice story grin

1 Like

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by jhurney(m): 12:41pm On Mar 09, 2018
harjibolar10:
SPACING is one of the essential factors, that needed to be put in consideration in Literature...

Boss, beside that, You have a wonderful piece here sir

Keep em coming bro
Thank you sir..
Should i increase or reduce the spacing?
Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by jhurney(m): 1:18pm On Mar 09, 2018
EPISODE SIXTEEN

In this academy, every graduating set is addressed as a class and there is always someone to be referred to as the top of each class. For the first time in the history of this academy, a female is among the top three of this graduating class.

Join me in appreciating the number one and the top of his class. Cadet inspector/Detective Mathews james. I was all smiles as i heard my name sound from the mouth of the commandant, i pecked mum and rubbed tolu on the head as i proceeded to the front for my medal, The master of ceremony further called Tayo and tinu as the second and third respectively. We shook hands and hugged eachother as we smiled for various cameras eager to capture our faces.

I was finally free from the daily drills, the unending push-ups, the never satisfying meals...i just couldn't help but shed tears, mother was the happiest, she was probably happy i came back in one piece, tolu also kept on laughing and i saw she was eager for gists again. I won a car from the governor of the state where our academy was located and lots of monetary prizes.

I yawned as i rolled on the bed to check the time, it was thirty minutes after eight in the morning, been a while i slept this long'' i thought to myself. Mum and tolu went back home already while i waited behind so i could bring the car home the following day, Ayo was the one to drive the car as i was not yet competent. I was about picking my phone to call him when the phone rang out, i checked the screen and saw that ayo was the one calling, i eagerly picked the phone. hey james, i'm at the gate and they refused to let me in. i'm on my way, i replied before terminating the call.

I half walked and half ran to the gate as ayo sounded desperate on the phone. By the time i got to the gate, they already let ayo in and great was my embarrassment when the policemen guarding the gate started shouting number one and kept on repeating it. I just waved as i signalled to ayo to advance towards me.

I greeted my instructors and every important personnels in the academy before i finally left in company of ayo.

Ayo was behind the wheel in my Plymouth Barracuda...

1 Like

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by jhurney(m): 1:20pm On Mar 09, 2018
kiss
Blackfreedom:
You good to go bro, nice story grin
Thank you..

1 Like

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by Ayoshewa12(f): 3:37pm On Mar 09, 2018
Nice update but short.

1 Like

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by jhurney(m): 7:57pm On Mar 09, 2018
Ayoshewa12:
Nice update but short.
The next one should be longer ma..

1 Like

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by harjibolar10(m): 8:25pm On Mar 09, 2018
jhurney:

Thank you sir..
Should i increase or reduce the spacing?
Increase it sir...

And, please try work on punctuation as I pointed out above, you get am nah

Anywhere, that looks more like a conversation, just try making it more dramatic by using quotation mark ("wink and so on... Jah bless boss

That's why you are the boss... Kontunu

1 Like

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by jhurney(m): 4:52am On Mar 10, 2018
harjibolar10:
Increase it sir...

And, please try work on punctuation as I pointed out above, you get am nah

Anywhere, that looks more like a conversation, just try making it more dramatic by using quotation mark ("wink and so on... Jah bless boss

That's why you are the boss... Kontunu
But sir, you'll pardon me if there ain't much changes in that punctuation aspect....Asides knowing the use of comma and some other basic ones, That shit is my weakness in English language.
But i get your point, and i will work on it.

I really appreciate you sir.
Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by harjibolar10(m): 9:19am On Mar 10, 2018
jhurney:

But sir, you'll pardon mehave to accept it like that, if there ain't much changes in that punctuation aspect....Asides knowing the use of comma and some other basic ones, That shit is my weakness in English language.
But i get your point, and i will work on it.

I really appreciate you sir.
Boss, I understand you... And you are welcome

oya, let's go there
Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by mayorbch(m): 10:20am On Mar 10, 2018
Bros, I love your story line. Jisike

1 Like

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by souloho19(m): 10:27am On Mar 10, 2018
jhurney:
probably thinking his country was the same as Nigeria.

This is the worst mistake someone can ever make, chai! ride on bruv

1 Like

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by jhurney(m): 12:46am On Mar 11, 2018
EPISODE
SEVENTEEN

It was during the journey that ayo told me how he was able to get the identity of the person pictured with my late father. He got the information from an online internet forum after searching for informations in the crime section of the forum.

He also told me how he hit a dead-end in the murder case and was laid off the case. We gisted about a lot of things and he really kept my company as we travelled back to lagos. The way he switched gears and sped on the smooth road amazed me and i decided the first thing i will do during the long break is to take my driving lessons. i had forgotten about my father as at then...

We passed through lots of police checkpoints on our way and we took turns to show our identity cards so we could prove to eachother which agency was superior, the SSS or the police. We had no trouble with the police after identifying ourselves, one of the policemen even recognised me. Said he saw my name along with my picture in the latest edition of the leading newspaper in the country. I was a celebrity overnight...

Ayo left for his house the following day, he insisted on staying behind since he was on leave, he was to report back to his agency the following month. So there was enough time for us to catch fun and more importantly, take my driving lessons. Tolu was finally in school after staying at home for close to four years. She was offered admission at the prestigious university of Nigeria nsukka.

I was able to perfect my driving skills before ayo went back to his station, i took time to take mum anywhere she wanted to go. My car was always a centre of attraction and i flaunted it whenever i was chanced, the speed coupled with it's structure attracted peoples attention.

I toured the streets of lagos, made new friends and tried hard to be social.

After waiting for a year, i was finally posted to ogun state, sango to be precise. Two uniforms was allocated to me alongside an M16 rifle. I proceeded to sango to check myself in, and i was successful in getting a self-contained apartment that was quite far from my station, i was less bothered by this since i had my plymouth by my side, a luxury most of my colleagues weren't chanced to possess.

By the following week, i was officially a police man...

And this is where the STORY begins..

3 Likes

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by jhurney(m): 12:58am On Mar 11, 2018
EPISODE
EIGHTEEN

Your i.d please, the policeman by the gate asked me as i stopped the car. here it is, i said smiling. Oh, you are the new guy? He questioned me. Yes, i replied. You can drive in, he said as he returned my i.d. I slowly drove in and scanned for a free parking space, there was just enough space beside a 'volvo 240' to place my car.

I took a deep breath and slowly studied the police station, there was the vast flowers planted in front of the building and the operational vehicles scattered around. I stepped out of my vehicle, turned in my flying shirt and tapped the lock button on my key holder. With my heart in my mouth, i slowly made my way to the entrance. I was about entering the station when i looked behind and of course, my car was the odd one out.

Welcome Detective” the lady at the counter voiced after i greeted her, the D.p.o said you should report to him immediately you resume this morning.

I nodded in reply to every greeting directed towards me as i walked briskly towards the d.p.o's office. I knocked slightly and waited for his response before i entered.

“Inspector james, top of his class, born and bred in lagos, twenty-two year old, blah blah blah....The d.p.o cried out”

I must confess, you are the first police academy graduate to grace this station, most of the others are recruits and i'm nothing less than impressed, you are welcome into our midst. He added, Thank you sir and i promise to serve this country with all i've got. Well, we've all said that before, he replied with a grin before picking up his mobile phone.

Sergeant john, see me in my office right now. I heard the D.p.o say into the phone. In a matter seconds, a lanky dude walked in, he quickly winked at me before saluting the d.p.o., “sergeant” you will be sharing your office with the new guy, show him round and help him settle down. Yes sir, john replied as he signalled at me to follow him.

So, i think you know my name already. Yes, he called you john, I replied, i'm james, james matthews. I added.

Ooh, we already know, we've been told one hotshot has been posted here. We heard you came top of your class, nice meeting you mate, john said as he grabbed my hand for an handshake. Yea, me too i replied.

He brought out a key as we neared a door, our office is the last in the building and i'm pleased to share with you, john said as he turned the door knob...

2 Likes

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by jhurney(m): 1:06am On Mar 11, 2018
I'm sorry for all irregularities whatsoever in the story. Thank y'all. more comments please, help me to improve.

1 Like

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by Ayoshewa12(f): 10:19am On Mar 11, 2018
Thanks for the update.

1 Like

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by greatlinda(f): 1:46pm On Mar 11, 2018
Thanks for the update

1 Like

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by EkopSparoAyara(m): 3:20pm On Mar 11, 2018
jhurney:
I'm sorry for all irregularities whatsoever in the story.
Thank y'all.
more comments please, help me to improve.
Your doing great,for me I think it's your tenses you have to work on..
Secondly, the details are too much,reduce some.
Bravo Jhurney..

2 Likes

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by EkopSparoAyara(m): 3:20pm On Mar 11, 2018
The real deal just begun for Matthew James..

1 Like

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by queenitee(f): 7:36pm On Mar 11, 2018
Hmmmm

1 Like

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by harjibolar10(m): 8:56pm On Mar 11, 2018
jhurney:
I'm sorry for all irregularities whatsoever in the story.
Thank y'all.
more comments please, help me to improve.
Since you asked for it, I've decided to just overlook it before, well...

The conversation aspect of your story, is what I think you stil have not get kwa.

Let's do it like this...

Try to space out wherever that conversation ensue, even without quotation sign, what I mean is that, start in another line, what another character in the story said.....

You can check up some stories like... https://www.nairaland.com/1977500/friday-13th-assassins-creed/2

Check the update on that page, and see what I mean

Beside that, you're good to go

2 Likes

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by jhurney(m): 10:35pm On Mar 11, 2018
harjibolar10:
Since you asked for it, I've decided to just overlook it before, well...

The conversation aspect of your story, is what I think you stil have not get kwa.

Let's do it like this...

Try to space out wherever that conversation ensue, even without quotation sign, what I mean is that, start in another line, what another character in the story said.....

You can check up some stories like... https://www.nairaland.com/1977500/friday-13th-assassins-creed/2

Check the update on that page, and see what I mean

Beside that, you're good to go

I think i've gotten your point.
Thank you.
Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by jhurney(m): 10:38pm On Mar 11, 2018
EkopSparoAyara:
Your doing great,for me I think it's your tenses you have to work on.. Secondly, the details are too much,reduce some. Bravo Jhurney..
Noted . Thank you

1 Like

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by jhurney(m): 10:46pm On Mar 11, 2018
where's cadec?

1 Like

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by d4real890(m): 11:15pm On Mar 11, 2018
how I wish d way you describe sango police station is looking nice as it is but alas ko joor
Well-done bro, let me go grab a bottle of origin and suya before my police guy will update again.

wink

1 Like

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by jhurney(m): 11:57pm On Mar 11, 2018
d4real890:
how I wish d way you describe sango police station is looking nice as it is but alas ko joor
Well-done bro, let me go grab a bottle of origin and suya before my police guy will update again.

wink
Nice combination sir grin
d4real890:

wink
Nigeria will be great..

Nice combination sir

1 Like

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by harjibolar10(m): 4:52pm On Mar 12, 2018
jhurney:

I think i've gotten your point.
Thank you.
No problem sir

1 Like

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by Cadec007(m): 6:28pm On Mar 12, 2018
jhurney:
where's cadec?
pardon me o for the long abscence.........i never intended to stay out this long.,.....thanjs for the update.,.....now the story begins......ride on bros

1 Like

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by Canme4u(m): 7:16pm On Mar 12, 2018
jhurney:

Nice combination sir grin
Nigeria will be great..

Nice combination sir

Nice update bro...nice story

1 Like

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by paqman: 8:37pm On Mar 13, 2018
jhurney:
Samexdx stephengee12 hadampson dview001 rachealfst alarmednigerian vakjay08 meneski yommy20 prettyrose bibijay123 oyindawealth maltaleeza bakeuhappy supizino queenitee honourable356 debbycreamy dabila olufemiwhit kimkardashian Kimberly west iamloyalty countrygirl ayoshewa donteanz smokeydrinky chisiudeh dupsai sirgoldejike vincad skillful01 captainpower sikells castleberry maryclaire1 modik rhayne kunbeex princessadeola soulminister heemah osch10 Nmaglit forzarush sofiaamrozia misselocon jazmiynne mobecs damselbae igyeseh nanadeeva01 tolezy001 eitsei raintaker slimberry123 segibambo ladysunshine94 khennykhay rchilee dimssy boderline politicalthug Rodriguez12 prisivileth pweetywizzy charytea laraemi emzyme tillaman niwdog jekonmor officialflex bleeze2 cjizzy citygold121 aminatope247 jaesharp emmyn donnad diegonakel ogmeekzy07 hardeybay princesam10 bleeze2 cruzyteekay freshestmanny oluwaemmanuel sleekhoyen sexyolori pinkfeet ayodijex cyber5 succyblinks jupitre cindymorgan shurley22 ayodijex damibiz criis costal alamiendagash jide219 switkera renybenks osmon1996 queendd oroolorun shawdey tlordz toyin223 funnyfun precial419 boldndbeautiful tenniebae mightyfortress rosalieene nawtielizzie yourradiance tzminaj adeculate creeza go4success swankmee marvwhite aka sherlock Holmes
Dominicnuel skeetz gallantemory senatorpope holar1993 clemsworld donkelz beetunez44 myself2 ironlion1 blendmanuel mrsochy patjane seven jasmine2013 dreyman21 lyrink matherson tuba69 heeyhun sistaj komforth sowole007 dztzl johngainsville deadrat gmekx stainless239 queensiju niphmmy subtlemee in4matic ephay mzztega ayomicome kingsamm anaselizzy elvisojugo erudite202 korinnesta ebydarling bossy512 wapapod light4life chommieblaq dinabella surddick Godsmileforever officialbazor bibi294 Queen golden tenderblaze areros honeydawealth shotunz mariinee kukoyi larride oluwabuqqyyolo gabsi422 pinkberry5 zaheertyler hantonia jagugu88li oscardafuscar heymorse spdazzy omorlehwah itxayce kpagogin missnande chimeluv mrintegrity247 sussybae theabider bigbauer neenie phayth tife101 biggietreasures emmy091 queenjuli barag connkg emmydan hottadiva kinah favouritetega osch10 queen494 civilizedtyger sleepingqueen25 itsjezzy sheycrown dupsai yaronjos heirapparent cruzyteejay jaybee96 mrgudmood amikeem horlorlardaey kemam sexyfire911 kikiwendy neurojosh erock247 teekaycarter moonnstar negudugrace rayvelez xlozer timmyshot gamesound shekinah190 waacut elshberry bammylee002 iamdaquin01 bestie93 crislyn spiceybae holuwaphlexy gr8skillz virtuedagirl lildiamond seunnla cerowo kingsuave medrehab roastedcorn yemsy13865 snowboi360 hormobolanle jeedope hobbyheart mhizfavour juniho77 johncasey1 moyenii chinedubrazil sapy apostolate kendrickmykell slayer2 cindy1000 cbella brohimot royh mhizclair bankiev anneboyo2 lizzyparx lorlahlizzy dotwillis1 omomifamily patotelli thiannah observer3 mexzzy47 nikz marvin902 helenbee mhizterauto kayceerilyn iwakacome twinkle004 centitan kajsa08 babeflenz nickibeauty chillgist iralife tjpromise mancrimes oluwafeolami do4luv cynicgod queendaisy smartgenius10 kingphillip inkdbetty ksslib hidhris gracito smileing trggasg geektrovert matrycx osedagal qasar4life peppirina jey4all boywest1 drachel1993 folake25 lugar14 iheyhun connoisseur selimdeon kasey18 chigold121 erudite202 kayus621 kerr9 geosilye iamlynn lordshola billirayz augustinesilva ceecane2 hardeydun schlastica16 julietbae adfijem aries26 olueaseun15 dreyman21 virtueblazer harkinlowyeh gracyblaze donblzer10 ayokunmi24 mhizsuccess veevean0 amanda24 chinachris chara019 mexzzy47 chemicalreaction herosakin777 emerortj93 elshberry tomzz gotios latbons nerdychukz tijehi chigold121 mzposhberry90 tuhndhay brendy01 danyceo trendytessy hobbyheart lecdope okeyben10 itsandi jtofineme tripplexon biggysmolz oluwasheenah awalat172 steediamond antonineutron classicladyk moseph arabaribiti chiexcel retake89 authorityspeaks bensam2040 sleekhoyeen ultimategeneral officialflex stainlexxx tobymoore go4success kingzero lordpeckxy chinacriss ikechizoba obicoolnino fadahunsilegend seteejax optizzycute teebilion dammypat olori1992 ladybandie sussybae incredible2017 mickeyjaggers40 labelle123 akiewillis bidemmy4real kayjay007 sleemon chitheo smartaphyl joshnes badohemmy oluwakemi65 arinzevictor illicitblood arrestdarrester chuks000 mitchelljnr bishop818 ladyhal1 hilariousthiago aseke1 coolie1 ekopsparoayara ebonyqueen001 kingso23 solomonbrown64 whocarex clint237 lorlahlizzy engracedmay jennymaryjane01 kunleseshan enekwesylvia auric Emerich smartaphy1 dondemex nuelzy charminee epbere21 opeade939 agbenuanna obezeeco seanwilliam mazimee dohyinsolah ladeturner69 marychommy provabz renybenks horladstar blessgj olalekank lilymax vicoch agp19 jchemmy1 5iecreepy ochyglowsglows jadedgrace98 paqman shadow melodydennis yemike nittroboy ahmedbanj phemorison hazardman omnisparrow trebron damon147 jchemy1 fameg helenbee dreofGod tdyke4 gabi98 uchman48 jiikye1 genius43 mizsylviah bimsee jasonex4 obedugo seanatist anthcunny hawlascho kunmisola majole austinsamekpo pratiba phemochee marvin902 magicmeemee jacoik stephmiracle odyx blackel trendymiss

y'all should please endorse my work.
we got your back man, person wey no mention our name self we endorse in work talkless of say you mentioned #paqman#

2 Likes

Re: WEB...Travails of a detective. by EkopSparoAyara(m): 12:08am On Mar 14, 2018
MA bro Jhurney,where are thou?? Hope all is well??

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Together Forever / Your Book, Dear Ijeawele Is Dead On Arrival. Fan Tells Chimamanda On Facebook. / With Velvet Gloves.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.