Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,225 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:50 AM

'Saboteurs Behind Lagos Refuse' - Cleaner Lagos Initiative - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 'Saboteurs Behind Lagos Refuse' - Cleaner Lagos Initiative (10428 Views)

Distribution Of Cleaner Lagos Initiative Thrash Bags Begins / Trucks And Buses For Cleaner Lagos Initiative To Begin Work In 2018 / What Is Happening To Lagos...Refuse Everywhere (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

'Saboteurs Behind Lagos Refuse' - Cleaner Lagos Initiative by ikorodureporta: 7:13am On Feb 19, 2018
Officials of the Cleaner Lagos Initiative (CLI) have raised the alarm over attempts by those they referred to as saboteurs to frustrate the state’s new waste management policy.

They said the saboteurs were determined to kill all efforts to make Lagos cleaner and healthier.

A senior CLI, who preferred anonymity said it was unfortunate that those who felt the new arrangement would affect them adversely were working hard to sabotage it by all means, including deliberate dumping of large volume of waste in public places.

The official said: “Take for instance, the picture of heaps of refuse under the Idumagbo Pedestrian Bridge that was published today (yesterday) in a national daily. The refuse at that spot was evacuated just overnight and the team finished by 3am today (Sunday) and by 3am, the heap of refuse was back there, including a fully loaded LAWMA big refuse container that was not there previously.

“As I am talking to you, our officials have returned to the same spot to clear everything. The Commissioner for the Environment was also there to see things for himself and he has asked the Private Sector Participant (PSP) operator that dropped the container belonging to the Lagos State Waste Management Authority (LAWMA) on the spot to remove it immediately.

“That has been the challenge. When our officials clear the heaps of refuse from a spot, before one could say Jack Robinson, the heaps were back on the same spot cleared by our officials and this really has to stop because a cleaner Lagos is in our collective interest,” he said.

The new policy encapsulated in the Cleaner Lagos Initiative (CLI) was introduced to address the challenges in the sector, and as well revolutionise waste management in the state in line with international best practices.

A source said the permutation of those behind the sabotage was that if they kept dumping tonnes of refuse in public places, they would achieve the twin objective of distracting CLI officials from paying adequate attention to other places while projecting the initiative, which is targeted at a comprehensive turnaround of Lagos to become one of the cleanest cities in the world, as a failure.

Another reliable source said the situation had also been compounded by members of the public who indiscriminately dump their waste in public places and not the designated spots, saying that such was also a challenge.

Also, in a recent video that went viral on social media, an official of Visionscape Sanitation Solutions, Mr John Olawale Joseph, had lamented how people were dumping refuse on the same spots in public places, thus frustrating the efforts to rid the state of filth.

Joseph, who is Visionscape’s Area Manager for Lagos Island West, alleged that heaps of refuse sometimes appear overnight in places already cleared by environmental officials, saying that the deliberate sabotage of the project called for concern.

Source: http://thenationonlineng.net/saboteurs-behind-lagos-refuse-says-cleaner-lagos/

2 Shares

Re: 'Saboteurs Behind Lagos Refuse' - Cleaner Lagos Initiative by ikorodureporta: 8:03am On Feb 19, 2018
grin grin #saboteurs all over Lagos...

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 'Saboteurs Behind Lagos Refuse' - Cleaner Lagos Initiative by afroniger: 8:10am On Feb 19, 2018
I have read the report and there could be some truth to it. The initiative is commendable but may require a bit of time to achieve its aim. The volume of waste generated within the state is crazy, and the some residents themselves are not helping matters. The government should just remain focused regardless of distractions from detractors.

8 Likes

Re: 'Saboteurs Behind Lagos Refuse' - Cleaner Lagos Initiative by Nobody: 8:17am On Feb 19, 2018

15 Likes

Re: 'Saboteurs Behind Lagos Refuse' - Cleaner Lagos Initiative by FarahAideed: 8:35am On Feb 19, 2018
I think it's the overall strategy of creating refuse attraction points that's faulty because it underated the volume of thrash being generated from inner streets ...Even though there might be case of sabotage like the case of refuse bring dumped overnight in front of the vision scape office which was clearly done to make mockery of the firm but the overall strategy of the scheme is faulty and they need to out together good heads to re draw it

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 'Saboteurs Behind Lagos Refuse' - Cleaner Lagos Initiative by Jaytecq(m): 10:34am On Feb 19, 2018
no transparency from the beginning.

5 Likes

Re: 'Saboteurs Behind Lagos Refuse' - Cleaner Lagos Initiative by funnynation(m): 10:35am On Feb 19, 2018
Ok
Re: 'Saboteurs Behind Lagos Refuse' - Cleaner Lagos Initiative by simonlee(m): 10:35am On Feb 19, 2018
Cleanliness and proper waste management is a culture Nigerians have to develop with time and not a one day policy. Get the people oriented on the need for it and stop dropping silly excuses here and there. Some Nigerians will see proper dump site but will still prefer to dump waste in drainage canals and start praying for rainfall to wash it away, thinking they're doing lawma a favour... mtchew! angry angry angry

5 Likes

Re: 'Saboteurs Behind Lagos Refuse' - Cleaner Lagos Initiative by AishaBuhari: 10:35am On Feb 19, 2018
imhotep:

When do we blame GEJ ?
Lol! I guess the blame tactics isn't working anymore.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 'Saboteurs Behind Lagos Refuse' - Cleaner Lagos Initiative by omotuntun: 10:37am On Feb 19, 2018
Strict law will do this.

First Government needs to do it's part by going to each streets either twice or 3 times in a week. Monday Wednesday Friday. Pack the used garbage.

Tax every landlord or landlady that if your gabbage is not tidy you will be fine heavily. And withold this law with no oga, my pikin, abeg.. You will see how clean Lagos will be.

But we hardly want to take the right decision. It's always na my papa, na my pikin..

7 Likes

Re: 'Saboteurs Behind Lagos Refuse' - Cleaner Lagos Initiative by naptu2: 10:37am On Feb 19, 2018
That's exactly what Oyinlola said.

naptu2:
Institutional memory and ecology of administration.

One of the things that amazes md in this country is that we often solve problems, then forget that we've solved the problem and, more importantly, forget how we solved the problem and so we re-introduce that problem.

Someone asked a question a few days ago and I was happily surprised that everybody else knew the answer.

She asked why the beautiful new bus stops in Lagos did not have benches. People replied with the short answer, but I'm going to tell the story from the beginning.

Sometime between 1983-1985 the Lagos State Government built big new bus stop shelters across the state. These shelters were built with concrete, were quite roomy (so you'd be sheltered, no matter how heavy the rain was) and had enough benches to seat a reasonable number of commuters. It seemed like a perfect idea.

But, unfortunately these bus stop shelters became the homes of lunatics, area boys, homeless people and NURTW thugs. Commuters could not seek shelter in them because of the kind of people that occupied the shelters. They became dangerous places, especially st night. It was so bad that some of the shelters were eventually dismantled (eg, the bus stop shelter on First Avenue in Ikoyi).

Subsequent governments (Marwa and Fashola) built much smaller bus stop shelters, so that commuters would be sheltered from the sun and rain, but the shelters would be too small to serve as homes for lunatics and thugs. The government had learnt.

Ambode's huge mistake

Twice a week, very early in the morning between 1979-1983, I watched payloaders, bulldozers, compactors and humoungous trucks of the Lagos State Waste Disposal Board (LSWDB) evacuate refuse from a huge dump in Lafiaji as I drove past. Those giant equipment often held up traffic. There were many similar refuse dumps and large waste bins across Lagos.

Despite the efforts of the LSWDB, Lagos was known as the dirtiest city in the world. Foreign TV stations, newspapers and magazines often showed pictures of refuse heaps in Lagos. Most Nigerians felt that Lagos wasn't really as bad as it was being portrayed in the Western media.

Rasaki came and his era wasn't too different from Jakande. However, I noticed that the LSWDB did not evacuate refuse as regularly as they used to. Rasaki eventually converted the LSWDB into LAWMA and placed thd management of LAWMA in the hands of the local governments.

Then came the worst era in the history of Lagos. LAWMA completely stopped evacuating refuse during the Oyinlola era. Those large waste bins overflowed with refuse and the trash took over entire streets. The dumps became so full of waste that people dumped their waste anywhere, including on the median of major highways like Ikorodu Road and Lekki Expressway. People relied on cart pushers to evacuate their waste for them. No sane person could dispute the fact that Lagos was the dirtiest city in the world at that time. Colonel Oyinlola recently claimed that people deliberately dumped refuse on the streets in order to sabotage his government.

Things weren't much different in the Marwa era.

Then came Bola Tinubu. He scrapped the practice of having large waste dumps and bins by the roadside. He also banned the activities of carte pushers. Instead, private companies were given franchises to go from home to home to collect refuse from residents. The franchisees would then take the refuse to LAWMA's transfer loading stations and LAWMA would dispose of the waste.

This meant that there was no need to have piles of rubbish on the roadside. Residents were compelled to pay a refuse tax and this meant that they had to use the service in order to get value for their money.

The refuse heaps across the state vanished! In fact, for the first time, the foreign media stopped referring to Lagos as the dirtiest city in the world.

Fashola came and improved the system a bit by ensuring that the private companies used compactors to transport the waste, rather than open trucks.

Now Ambode is here and he has brought back the huge waste bins and restricted the activities of the private companies. I understand what he is trying to do and he has good intentions, but those large waste bins on the road side are a very bad idea. There is no way that Lagosians will resist the temptation to turn them into large refuse dumps with waste spilling on to the streets. I've already seen it happen on Alexander Avenue. Very small waste bins are ok, but those large waste bins will be a disaster.

Those dumps, apart from being unhygenic and an eyesore, will be a PR disaster for him like they were for Colonel Oyinlola. The best strategy remains the strategy used by Bola Tinubu, i.e. intercept the waste in homes, factories and offices, before it gets on the street.

27 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 'Saboteurs Behind Lagos Refuse' - Cleaner Lagos Initiative by kinibigdeal(m): 10:38am On Feb 19, 2018
afroniger:
I have read the report and there could be some truth to it. The initiative is commendable but may require a bit of time to achieve its aim. The volume of waste generated within the state is crazy, and the some residents themselves are not helping matters. The government should just remain focused regardless of distractions from detractors.

How did Fashola did it that Lagos was clean without sabotage? Lame excuses

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 'Saboteurs Behind Lagos Refuse' - Cleaner Lagos Initiative by BruncleZuma: 10:40am On Feb 19, 2018
Laziness at it's peak...

2 Likes

Re: 'Saboteurs Behind Lagos Refuse' - Cleaner Lagos Initiative by ayourbamie: 10:41am On Feb 19, 2018
Bring back our PSP
Re: 'Saboteurs Behind Lagos Refuse' - Cleaner Lagos Initiative by Nobody: 10:42am On Feb 19, 2018
imhotep:

When do we blame GEJ ?

Come,now, there was no where in the report that implied blaming any past or present leader.

The problem of cleanliness in Nigeria is the fault of Nigerians, not LAMWA, or any govt agency.

So, if you want to blame anyone...blame you, me and everyone else that does not put his or her refuse away properly

1 Like

Re: 'Saboteurs Behind Lagos Refuse' - Cleaner Lagos Initiative by Suko110(m): 10:42am On Feb 19, 2018
Every new policy must affect sm1 if its d poor then no problem but if its affecting the rich or they re not gaining then they must frustrate that effort and this is our problem 'if I nor fit gain from am make we kuku spoil everything' and d govt cant do squat.
Re: 'Saboteurs Behind Lagos Refuse' - Cleaner Lagos Initiative by ipobarecriminals: 10:43am On Feb 19, 2018
sad it is only here in dis obodo Niagra u pay for service not delivered. .Like Nepa like PSP pipu dem.
Re: 'Saboteurs Behind Lagos Refuse' - Cleaner Lagos Initiative by PerfectFortune: 10:44am On Feb 19, 2018
Saboteurs..

Re: 'Saboteurs Behind Lagos Refuse' - Cleaner Lagos Initiative by XKZ(m): 10:44am On Feb 19, 2018
lol smiley
I can swear this is the best joke I will hear this week
Re: 'Saboteurs Behind Lagos Refuse' - Cleaner Lagos Initiative by bigplayerz(m): 10:45am On Feb 19, 2018
It's a good initiative but my only issue is those refuse bins are small I remember in 80's we used one big metal bin alocated to various street...the only issue then was the bin had no cover then
Re: 'Saboteurs Behind Lagos Refuse' - Cleaner Lagos Initiative by kinibigdeal(m): 10:46am On Feb 19, 2018
FarahAideed:
I think it's the overall strategy of creating refuse attraction points that's faulty because it underated the volume of thrash being generated from inner streets ...Even though there might be case of sabotage like the case of refuse bring dumped overnight in front of the vision scape office which was clearly done to make mockery of the firm but the overall strategy of the scheme is faulty and they need to out together good heads to re draw it

There is nothing like sabotage. Ambode had issues with fashola, he send Fashola'a lawma packing coming up with is own initiative that is not empowered enough to carter for the prevailing refuse dump on the street of Lagos. When Fashola was there you see thousand of women on the street doing regular clean up and earning a living through it but you send them out of job and bringing your own under-powered team. To back up my points, every 8:00pm try and see the vision scape team clearing up the compiled refuse and you will see that the refuse is more than their capacity. Those guys looked tired when parking those refuse. It is out of sense for you to compile refuse on a spot for days and expect to pack it at night, it is disgusting and making Lagos looked dirty

9 Likes

Re: 'Saboteurs Behind Lagos Refuse' - Cleaner Lagos Initiative by ceejay80s(m): 10:46am On Feb 19, 2018
ALL OF U ARE saboteurs!!!!! EVEN MOST NAIRALANDERS HERE , I WILL SEE THEM IN BUSES DRINKING TABLE WATER, SOFT DRINKS AND ALL SORTS, AND AFTER EATING , U WILL SEE THEM THROW THE TRASH OUT OF THE BUS WINDOW, U CANT TRY THAT IN OTHER COUNTRIES , THE BUS WILL BE STOPPED AND AND THE PERSON THAT DID IT WILL BE ARRESTED,
IN OUR CASE ,THE PERSON THAT DID IT SHOULD BE GIVEN A BROOM TO SWEEP A STREET DIRTY STREET...
BACK TO TOPIC!!!!

police or task force should be stationed at that Idumagbo Pedestrian Bridge 24hrs lookout

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'Saboteurs Behind Lagos Refuse' - Cleaner Lagos Initiative by Ekoishome: 10:47am On Feb 19, 2018
Waste evacuation from the designated public bins should be done daily!!!
Lagos is highly populated and in my opinion, if this new policy would work the number of evacuations should be top priority!
Re: 'Saboteurs Behind Lagos Refuse' - Cleaner Lagos Initiative by Kassidy90(m): 10:47am On Feb 19, 2018
U cant collect food from some people n give it to ur own people n expect peace.....
Re: 'Saboteurs Behind Lagos Refuse' - Cleaner Lagos Initiative by Xisnin(m): 10:49am On Feb 19, 2018
Blame game?
Re: 'Saboteurs Behind Lagos Refuse' - Cleaner Lagos Initiative by Nobody: 10:50am On Feb 19, 2018
Cromcruach91:

Come,now, there was no where in the report that implied blaming any past or present leader.

The problem of cleanliness in Nigeria is the fault of Nigerians, not LAMWA, or any govt agency.

So, if you want to blame anyone...blame you, me and everyone else that does not put his or her refuse away properly
At least we can blame PDP grin
Re: 'Saboteurs Behind Lagos Refuse' - Cleaner Lagos Initiative by Nobody: 10:52am On Feb 19, 2018
dumb defense! double your efforts -simple! using my hood as a case study, your workers are rather apathetic to work.

1 Like

Re: 'Saboteurs Behind Lagos Refuse' - Cleaner Lagos Initiative by naptu2: 10:56am On Feb 19, 2018
naptu2:
Institutional memory and ecology of administration.

One of the things that amazes md in this country is that we often solve problems, then forget that we've solved the problem and, more importantly, forget how we solved the problem and so we re-introduce that problem.

Someone asked a question a few days ago and I was happily surprised that everybody else knew the answer.

She asked why the beautiful new bus stops in Lagos did not have benches. People replied with the short answer, but I'm going to tell the story from the beginning.

Sometime between 1983-1985 the Lagos State Government built big new bus stop shelters across the state. These shelters were built with concrete, were quite roomy (so you'd be sheltered, no matter how heavy the rain was) and had enough benches to seat a reasonable number of commuters. It seemed like a perfect idea.

But, unfortunately these bus stop shelters became the homes of lunatics, area boys, homeless people and NURTW thugs. Commuters could not seek shelter in them because of the kind of people that occupied the shelters. They became dangerous places, especially st night. It was so bad that some of the shelters were eventually dismantled (eg, the bus stop shelter on First Avenue in Ikoyi).

Subsequent governments (Marwa and Fashola) built much smaller bus stop shelters, so that commuters would be sheltered from the sun and rain, but the shelters would be too small to serve as homes for lunatics and thugs. The government had learnt.

Ambode's huge mistake

Twice a week, very early in the morning between 1979-1983, I watched payloaders, bulldozers, compactors and humoungous trucks of the Lagos State Waste Disposal Board (LSWDB) evacuate refuse from a huge dump in Lafiaji as I drove past. Those giant equipment often held up traffic. There were many similar refuse dumps and large waste bins across Lagos.

Despite the efforts of the LSWDB, Lagos was known as the dirtiest city in the world. Foreign TV stations, newspapers and magazines often showed pictures of refuse heaps in Lagos. Most Nigerians felt that Lagos wasn't really as bad as it was being portrayed in the Western media.

Rasaki came and his era wasn't too different from Jakande. However, I noticed that the LSWDB did not evacuate refuse as regularly as they used to. Rasaki eventually converted the LSWDB into LAWMA and placed thd management of LAWMA in the hands of the local governments.

Then came the worst era in the history of Lagos. LAWMA completely stopped evacuating refuse during the Oyinlola era. Those large waste bins overflowed with refuse and the trash took over entire streets. The dumps became so full of waste that people dumped their waste anywhere, including on the median of major highways like Ikorodu Road and Lekki Expressway. People relied on cart pushers to evacuate their waste for them. No sane person could dispute the fact that Lagos was the dirtiest city in the world at that time. Colonel Oyinlola recently claimed that people deliberately dumped refuse on the streets in order to sabotage his government.

Things weren't much different in the Marwa era.

Then came Bola Tinubu. He scrapped the practice of having large waste dumps and bins by the roadside. He also banned the activities of carte pushers. Instead, private companies were given franchises to go from home to home to collect refuse from residents. The franchisees would then take the refuse to LAWMA's transfer loading stations and LAWMA would dispose of the waste.

This meant that there was no need to have piles of rubbish on the roadside. Residents were compelled to pay a refuse tax and this meant that they had to use the service in order to get value for their money.

The refuse heaps across the state vanished! In fact, for the first time, the foreign media stopped referring to Lagos as the dirtiest city in the world.

Fashola came and improved the system a bit by ensuring that the private companies used compactors to transport the waste, rather than open trucks.

Now Ambode is here and he has brought back the huge waste bins and restricted the activities of the private companies. I understand what he is trying to do and he has good intentions, but those large waste bins on the road side are a very bad idea. There is no way that Lagosians will resist the temptation to turn them into large refuse dumps with waste spilling on to the streets. I've already seen it happen on Alexander Avenue. Very small waste bins are ok, but those large waste bins will be a disaster.

Those dumps, apart from being unhygenic and an eyesore, will be a PR disaster for him like they were for Colonel Oyinlola. The best strategy remains the strategy used by Bola Tinubu, i.e. intercept the waste in homes, factories and offices, before it gets on the street.
Re: 'Saboteurs Behind Lagos Refuse' - Cleaner Lagos Initiative by Proudlyngwa(m): 10:57am On Feb 19, 2018
simonlee:
Cleanliness and proper waste management is a culture Nigerians have to develop with time and not a one day policy. Get the people oriented on the need for it and stop dropping silly excuses here and there. Some Nigerians will see proper dump site but will still prefer to dump waste in drainage canals and start praying for rainfall to wash it away, thinking they're doing lawma a favour... mtchew! angry angry angry

Every reasonable human being should be able to manage his waste.
Government has no business managing waste, they should be punishing defaulters .
Re: 'Saboteurs Behind Lagos Refuse' - Cleaner Lagos Initiative by Godyke(m): 10:58am On Feb 19, 2018
I do not totally agree with this official on his claims. Nobody can deliberately generate refuse with the sole aim of sabotaging an effort. It is as a result of the sudden change of arrangement by the government without considering the implications. What do you expect when the inner streets are left out in the refuse evacuation and at same time putting an outright ban on the alternatives like the Cart pushers that goes from house to house, being embraced by the people. How close are the so called designated spots to the people. Where is the time and chance for people to locate and travel to these spots to throw their refuse, judging from the busy nature of life of an average Lagos resident. As I write there are countless complaints from residents that their areas has been left out in refuse evacuation since the ban on Cart pushers came into effect and that they are overwhelmed with living with their waste. They should tackle this issue first.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

2019: Okorocha Tackles Osita Okechukwu / Agba Jalingo Arrested By Police Over Article Against Governor Ayade / Okada Ban In Delta Starts Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.