Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,179 members, 7,821,992 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:00 AM

Will You Teach Your Child Your Language? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Will You Teach Your Child Your Language? (2763 Views)

5 Languages Die In Nigeria, Teach Your Child Your Language. / Can you translate this Colours In Your Language? / Do You Teach Your Child To Speak Your Native Language? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Will You Teach Your Child Your Language? by echelon(m): 5:08pm On Apr 25, 2008
Yes, not just yes, it will be the medium of communication in the family. Till around Puberty. wink. The children will be speaking English only at school. cool
Re: Will You Teach Your Child Your Language? by ifyalways(f): 5:53pm On Apr 25, 2008
Ofcos i wud.i wud speak every language i know to them and encourage them to learn.
my mother tongue wud be the basic language spoken in the house.
Re: Will You Teach Your Child Your Language? by TOYOSI20(f): 11:07pm On Apr 25, 2008
Yes, Yes and Yes. cool
Re: Will You Teach Your Child Your Language? by Zandra1(f): 12:40am On Apr 26, 2008
I agree with echelon.

My husband speaks Igbo and French fluently, and an 'okay' spanish (God knows how many times he's shocked some latinos grin). So, our kids will know how to speak Igbo and French fluently. They can learn English in school and oh, they wont be speaking English at home cool cool.
Re: Will You Teach Your Child Your Language? by Dreloaded(f): 12:41am On Apr 26, 2008
English will be optional sef tongue
Re: Will You Teach Your Child Your Language? by 4Him1(m): 12:45am On Apr 26, 2008
yeah. Most likely they will pick it up as they grow anyway, it shldnt be english only . . . that would be a shame.
Re: Will You Teach Your Child Your Language? by TheSly: 12:50am On Apr 26, 2008
When i couldn't speak my language fluently. . . .i don't even know 3lines,let alone teaching others embarassed
Re: Will You Teach Your Child Your Language? by 4Him1(m): 12:52am On Apr 26, 2008
The Sly:

When i couldn't speak my language fluently. . . .i don't even know 3lines,let alone teaching others embarassed

that shldnt be an excuse bro. I dont speak igbo but i certainly want my kids to learn by any means possible.
Re: Will You Teach Your Child Your Language? by Dreloaded(f): 12:55am On Apr 26, 2008
just teach them Yoruba Sly tongue
Re: Will You Teach Your Child Your Language? by TheSly: 12:57am On Apr 26, 2008
4 Him:

that shldnt be an excuse bro. I don't speak igbo but i certainly want my kids to learn by any means possible.
How im i gonna do it then? i don't speak my language neither do i understand what the people says. . . embarassed

D-reloaded:

just teach them Yoruba Sly tongue
Yoruba ko. . . . .Hausa ni. . . embarassed
Re: Will You Teach Your Child Your Language? by Dreloaded(f): 12:58am On Apr 26, 2008
Fine Yoruba and Hausa. grin
Re: Will You Teach Your Child Your Language? by TheSly: 1:01am On Apr 26, 2008
D-reloaded:

Fine Yoruba and Hausa. grin
Tsewwwwwww! embarassed
Re: Will You Teach Your Child Your Language? by Dreloaded(f): 1:02am On Apr 26, 2008
it's what you know either way cool
Re: Will You Teach Your Child Your Language? by 4Him1(m): 1:03am On Apr 26, 2008
The Sly:

How im i going to do it then? i don't speak my language neither do i understand what the people says. . . embarassed

let them spend a few yrs in your home town. Or marry a wife who speaks the language  tongue that's always a safe back-up plan.
Re: Will You Teach Your Child Your Language? by TheSly: 1:13am On Apr 26, 2008
4 Him:

let them spend a few years in your home town. Or marry a wife who speaks the language tongue that's always a safe back-up plan.
shocked shocked shocked
Few years for where? Nigeria? you've got to be kidding me. . .
I could allow them to spend weeks/month but years? not even if i was given $10m embarassed
About marring someone from my state. . . .im i gonna start surfing for a girl who's from my state? Haa sad

D-reloaded:

it's what you know either way cool
Its easy for you people. . .Yoruba is very easy to learn. . . . angry
Re: Will You Teach Your Child Your Language? by Dreloaded(f): 1:15am On Apr 26, 2008
;d wink
Re: Will You Teach Your Child Your Language? by TCUBE(m): 7:37am On Apr 26, 2008
yes and yes,
Re: Will You Teach Your Child Your Language? by tamme: 11:43pm On Jul 13, 2009
yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Am Just Curious Ooo? / What Is Your Reason When Choosing The Type Of Food You Eat. / How Well Do You Understand Other Dialect Of Your Language?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.