Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,450 members, 7,861,301 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 09:16 AM

Arizona Immigration Law. Necessary Or Bad Law? - Foreign Affairs (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Arizona Immigration Law. Necessary Or Bad Law? (2836 Views)

Wildfire Kills 19 Firefighters In Arizona / Is China Good Or Bad For Africa? / Arizona Shooting And White Arrogance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Arizona Immigration Law. Necessary Or Bad Law? by JeSoul(f): 8:48pm On Apr 29, 2010
@thread . . . sorry for off-topicking

chic2pimp:

Are You Psychic? shocked shocked
How did you know that? shocked grin grin grin
I can always have you as my Back up plan though wink grin
Lol, kai I don suffer. So I be back-up?  grin

I highly doubt that grin
Seeing that Inter Milan are about to lift the champions League, I sense the Man of the House is about celebrate two things at a go. He'll surely think christmas has come early grin grin grin
  shocked  shocked this boy is well sourced  grin lol, infact he watched continuous coverage of the match results all day yesterday. Then went online afterwards to watch more videos and pictures and discuss on the boards. This level of fanaticism no get rival. Well at least I got something from it. He was so happy he went over and cleaned my dishes and kitchen before I got home lol . . . but ehn no oh, christmas is still 8 months away  grin
Re: Arizona Immigration Law. Necessary Or Bad Law? by chic2pimp(m): 9:10pm On Apr 29, 2010
Abeg Poster Make Una No Vex oooo. . . . . . . . .grin grin grin

JeSoul:

Lol, kai I don suffer. So I be back-up? grin
Ok nau, Do you want to trade positions with Chiogo? grin grin

JeSoul:

shocked shocked this boy is well sourced grin lol, infact he watched continuous coverage of the match results all day yesterday. Then went online afterwards to watch more videos and pictures and discuss on the boards. This level of fanaticism no get rival. Well at least I got something from it. He was so happy he went over and cleaned my dishes and kitchen before I got home lol . . . but ehn no oh, christmas is still 8 months away grin
Nah lie that something was Nookie Nookie wink grin. . . . . Italians are proper Mummy's Boyz, they don't do much housework grin.
Besides how do you survive with his level of Fanaticism? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Arizona Immigration Law. Necessary Or Bad Law? by JeSoul(f): 9:47pm On Apr 29, 2010
okay for real, before the Topic vex, make we suspend am for hia, we can jam at our nba thread smiley . . . but ehn nookie wetin? I say christmas is still 8 months away jare grin.
Re: Arizona Immigration Law. Necessary Or Bad Law? by chic2pimp(m): 10:20pm On Apr 29, 2010
NBA Thread It Is grin grin
Re: Arizona Immigration Law. Necessary Or Bad Law? by mamagee3(f): 9:50pm On May 01, 2010
The Law should simply be boycotted, it's discriminatory.
Re: Arizona Immigration Law. Necessary Or Bad Law? by TayoD1(m): 2:48pm On May 02, 2010
@mama-gee,

The Law should simply be boycotted, it's discriminatory.
Great idea!!  The same way they "boycotted" America's immigration law and came in illegally. Infact, America should dismantle all its embassies world-wide because it is an agency of discrimination. It's discriminatory that they give some people visa and deny others same.  This kind of reasoning on nairaland no get part 2.
Re: Arizona Immigration Law. Necessary Or Bad Law? by TayoD1(m): 2:50pm On May 02, 2010
@JeSoul,

I am going to be in Boston the last week of May to the first week of June. We should hook up some time. I will be there with family on a vacation.
Re: Arizona Immigration Law. Necessary Or Bad Law? by JeSoul(f): 1:59pm On May 03, 2010
Hey Tayo that is AWESOME! smiley We must definitely have dinner. I still have your email address. We go talk . . .
Re: Arizona Immigration Law. Necessary Or Bad Law? by dayokanu(m): 8:55pm On May 03, 2010
Can I join you guys? But with no Inter Milan fan o tongue
Re: Arizona Immigration Law. Necessary Or Bad Law? by JeSoul(f): 2:51pm On May 04, 2010
^ lol. Dayo you are more than welcome to join in the fun. Just one criteria we have to check out first . . . are you a liberal? grin
Re: Arizona Immigration Law. Necessary Or Bad Law? by toshmann(m): 1:00am On May 06, 2010
JeSoul:

Hey Tayo that is toshmann you are AWESOME! smiley We must definitely have dinner. I still have your email address. We go talk . . .

sure we can cheesy . . . . where and when wink
Re: Arizona Immigration Law. Necessary Or Bad Law? by montelik(m): 12:38pm On May 20, 2010
What does Obama believe he will gain from the recent attempt of his administration in terms of demonizing and misrepresenting the recent SB-1070 Arizona law. Not only is it a replica of federal immigration laws. It has recently been reported that the one area of legitimate concern, (i.e states usurping federal authority in trying to setup their own immigration laws) is actually justified since a recent position of department of justice allows states to attempt to enforce federal immigration laws if the federal government fails to do so.

All this wouldn't be so bothersome, after all we all understand politics (a.k.a politricks). But it is one thing for Eric Holder (A.G), Napolitano (Head of Homeland security) to bash a law they haven't read. Its one thing for state department officials to apologize to China (can you imagine) for the human rights violations of Arizona trying to enforce immigration laws. In fact it is okay for Obama himself to call the law misguided.

But allowing Mexican president Felipe Calderon to attack it and then proceeding to agree with him is another thing entirely.
For his part, Mr. Calderón conveyed to Mr. Obama the grievances of many Mexicans who, he said, “face discrimination” now in Arizona.
While “respectful of the internal policies of the United States,” Mr. Calderón said, “we will retain our firm rejection to criminalize migration so that people that work and provide things to this nation will be treated as criminals. And we oppose firmly the SB-1070 Arizona law, given unfair principles that are partial and discriminatory.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/20/world/americas/20prexy.html

WOW. To quote a comment I read somewhere,
It’s bad enough Obama has to put-down the US when he’s overseas. But to allow a foreign leader to do it at the White House?! Giving a platform, on the White House Lawn to another country to lecture US Citizens is way, way over the line.

It gets worse when one considers the fact that Felipe Calderon has no credibility on this issue and is a hypocrite for condemning a law that is significantly milder than the one his own country adopts. Not to mention that it is the failure of his government to check border violence, crime and drug trafficking (despite the millions and billions of dollars aid he gets from the federal government) that resulted in Arizona feeling the need to act where he has failed. What does Obama think he will gain by allowing this.

Then there is the public, who despite the attempt by the administration, the media at large and politicians to portray this issue wrongly, have been shown to support Arizona's Law. Polls indicate a majority support for Arizona's stance. They also favor such an approach for their own states (55%).
http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/current_events/immigration/55_favor_immigration_law_like_arizona_s_for_their_state

Worse still polls also show the lack of trust the public has regarding Mexico's attempts to shift blame. An even clearer majority (67%) believe that Mexico does not want to stop Illegal immigration. So I can not see the benefits of allowing Felipe Calderon to "lecture" Arizona.

This is the same un-serious approach Bush took to immigration issues. But at least Bush did it when he was already on the way out, so it didn't really damage him, as he was already damaged. Obama and Co. are clearly on the wrong side of this issue, yet they persist anyway. Even if this about pandering to the Hispanic vote for November, I doubt there are enough Hispanic votes to save them if this continues.
Re: Arizona Immigration Law. Necessary Or Bad Law? by JeSoul(f): 4:34pm On May 20, 2010
^^I could not agree more with every syllable, comma and full stop.

Did you even hear about Chinese officials also bashing the Arizona law? saying it was an infringement on human rights, and the Obama admin agreeing with them? Wonders shall never cease. China! of all the countries on the planet to open their mouths about human rights. Imagine. The end must be near.
Re: Arizona Immigration Law. Necessary Or Bad Law? by preselect(m): 5:48pm On May 20, 2010
JeSoul:

The end must be near.

end of what?the US? or the world? or obama's administration? end of what? pls reduce all this armageddon rhetoric jare grin
Re: Arizona Immigration Law. Necessary Or Bad Law? by JeSoul(f): 5:54pm On May 20, 2010
pres-elect:

end of what?the US? or the world? or obama's administration? end of what? pls reduce all this armageddon rhetoric jare grin
End of the world. When you hear the Chinese, the chinese of all countries, hypocritically complaining about human rights . . . look up in the sky, our redemption draweth nigh.
Re: Arizona Immigration Law. Necessary Or Bad Law? by preselect(m): 6:09pm On May 20, 2010
so you have advanced from jesoul to jesus huh? you now know when it will all end abi? grin
Re: Arizona Immigration Law. Necessary Or Bad Law? by montelik(m): 7:28pm On May 20, 2010
JeSoul:

^^I could not agree more with every syllable, comma and full stop.

Did you even hear about Chinese officials also bashing the Arizona law? saying it was an infringement on human rights, and the Obama admin agreeing with them? Wonders shall never cease. China! of all the countries on the planet to open their mouths about human rights. Imagine. The end must be near.
How won't they have mouth. Are they not the ones financing the huge deficits Obama is raking up and all the spending he is authorizing. He who pays the piper they say sad
Re: Arizona Immigration Law. Necessary Or Bad Law? by JeSoul(f): 7:32pm On May 20, 2010
pres-elect:

so you have advanced from jesoul to jesus huh? you now know when it will all end abi? grin
Yes oh  cool
  It's like you suddenly and finally admitting that reckless liberalism is the highway to anarchy cool

montelik:

How won't they have mouth. Are they not the ones financing the huge deficits Obama is raking up and all the spending he is authorizing. He who pays the piper they say sad
Gbam. You hit the nail on the head. That was where my mind went straight to when I first heard the story. We cannot do anything to upset or antagonize the Chinese now because they are our cash cow. If they close their open fists, we don finish be dat.
Re: Arizona Immigration Law. Necessary Or Bad Law? by preselect(m): 2:22am On May 21, 2010
xenophobia is a natural response. the arizona law is xenophobic in nature and majority of americans support the law. hte best americans can do now is to come together and train or re-train arizona police to carry out the law with as little racism as possible bc definitely some racist elements in the police will use the loop holes in the law to do their thing.

but i dont want to be too judgemental on the americans who want to end illegal immigration. it is quite understandable, albeit sad.
Re: Arizona Immigration Law. Necessary Or Bad Law? by bawomolo(m): 5:07am On May 21, 2010
lol@china bashing arizona's immigration law when they are buddies with n korea. the biggest punisher of any illegal church rat grin
Re: Arizona Immigration Law. Necessary Or Bad Law? by montelik(m): 7:33am On May 21, 2010
pres-elect:

xenophobia is a natural response. the Arizona law is xenophobic in nature and majority of Americans support the law. The best Americans can do now is to come together and train or re-train Arizona police to carry out the law with as little racism as possible bc definitely some racist elements in the police will use the loop holes in the law to do their thing.

but i don't want to be too judgmental on the Americans who want to end illegal immigration. it is quite understandable, albeit sad.
But here is my problem with such a statement. All immigration laws have the potential to be xenophobic in nature. Every single immigration law, whether in the U.S, Africa, Europe, Asia has the potential to be xenophobic. Fact. Also all laws have the potential to be misinterpreted or applied. The solution to such threats is not to criticize such laws or abandon them, but to try and enforce them properly.
Re: Arizona Immigration Law. Necessary Or Bad Law? by JeSoul(f): 4:36pm On May 21, 2010
pres-elect:

xenophobia is a natural response. the arizona law is xenophobic in nature and majority of americans support the law. hte best americans can do now is to come together and train or re-train arizona police to carry out the law with as little racism as possible bc definitely some racist elements in the police will use the loop holes in the law to do their thing.

but i dont want to be too judgemental on the americans who want to end illegal immigration. it is quite understandable, albeit sad.
Oh men Prez, do you realize the "Arizona Law" IS the Federal Law? there is nothing new. I have read the bill and posted it few pages ago. If you're calling the "Arizona Law" xenophobic then so is Federal immigration law.

Montelik's point is worthy of another highlight:
montelik:

But here is my problem with such a statement. All immigration laws have the potential to be xenophobic in nature. Every single immigration law, whether in the U.S, Africa, Europe, Asia has the potential to be xenophobic. Fact. Also all laws have the potential to be misinterpreted or applied. The solution to such threats is not to criticize such laws or abandon them, but to try and enforce them properly.
Re: Arizona Immigration Law. Necessary Or Bad Law? by bawomolo(m): 6:26pm On May 21, 2010
how is arizona law the federal law when the feds are at odds with the law.
Re: Arizona Immigration Law. Necessary Or Bad Law? by JeSoul(f): 6:45pm On May 21, 2010
bawomolo:

Gbam. The million dollar question.
I read the law and posted parts of it pages ago along with the link to the whole thing. The first thing it states is "there are no new powers or authority given to law enforcement other than that which already exists in Federal law".

So why are Obama and co. insinuating otherwise? pick one of the following 2 -
1. They have not read the law themselves
2. They are deliberately claiming othewise in order to retain the "hispanic" vote

even though the overwhelming statistics show that Americans and Arizonans want and support the law. And Brewer the incumbent governor got a 20% rise in the polls since she signed the bill, that's 20%! and almost 80% of the entire state supports the law. Arizonans have spoken, I think the president and his band of clueless airheads should just shut up and leave them alone.
Re: Arizona Immigration Law. Necessary Or Bad Law? by silentc(m): 9:20pm On May 21, 2010
Illegal immigration is not acceptable on any level. That is a fact.

But, a law that will target non-whites is discriminatory. It creates a state of "guilty" until proven innocent. It creates a state of segregation i.e "non immigrant looking" aka white and "immigrant looking" aka Mexican, Black etc.

I appreciate the frustration of people living in Arizona, but this is not the right way to tackle illegal immigration. France had (and in some shape or form still has) this mindset with regards to tackling immigration. In the past I have been stopped 6 times in 1 day by the French police because i fit the profile of someone who looks like an immigrant and maybe an illegal one at that (black). I had to move around with my passport at all times (If i was going outside the house).

This law wont affect the whites in Arizona. It will just profile the potential race that might be illegal immigrants. I wait to see if any white, blond hair/blue eyes male will be stopped and asked to prove his status.

I can understand the passing of laws that make it a duty for an employer to see some form of documentation (passport etc) before you can take employment. I can understand if you need to show your status before you can register a child in school, register in a hospital, get a drivers license etc. But a law that allows for police officers to stop and question your status is disruptive to the lives on innocent well meaning people.

This is just my opinion. I don't live in the US or Arizona so cannot be authoritative in my assertions.
Re: Arizona Immigration Law. Necessary Or Bad Law? by TayoD1(m): 9:57pm On May 21, 2010
@silentc,

The Arizona law does not do any of the things you fear. For instance, no one can just stop you and ask to verify your status in Arizona. The law was carefully written to ensure that status verification is checked only after there is reasonable suspicion during contact with Police Officers.

For example, there is reasonable suspicion of illegality if you are stopped by the cops and the only means of identification that you have is a mexican driver's licence. That constitutes reasonable suspicion and precludes profiling. I doubt any Mexican/Whites/Black will be suspected of illegal stay in the country if they produce a valid Driver's licence. If they produce a Mexican identification as is common in Arizona and other States, common sense tells you that such a person must be here illegally and you can go ahead to insist on verification of their status.

This is what the law is all about. However, those who thrive on racial politics like Obama, Al Capone Sharpton and the liberal Left see it as another opportunity to do what they know to do best - divide and conquer.
Re: Arizona Immigration Law. Necessary Or Bad Law? by TayoD1(m): 10:09pm On May 21, 2010
@bawomolo,

The more pertinent question is this: "How can the Feds be at odds with a law they haven't read?"
Re: Arizona Immigration Law. Necessary Or Bad Law? by preselect(m): 1:24am On May 22, 2010
montelik:

from this statement, it seems to me that you agree with me.
Re: Arizona Immigration Law. Necessary Or Bad Law? by silentc(m): 9:35pm On May 22, 2010
Tayo-D:

@silentc,

The Arizona law does not do any of the things you fear. For instance, no one can just stop you and ask to verify your status in Arizona.  The law was carefully written to ensure that status verification is checked only after there is reasonable suspicion during contact with Police Officers.

For example, there is reasonable suspicion of illegality if you are stopped by the cops and the only means of identification that you have is a mexican driver's licence.  That constitutes reasonable suspicion and precludes profiling.  I doubt any Mexican/Whites/Black will be suspected of illegal stay in the country if they produce a valid Driver's licence. If they produce a Mexican identification as is common in Arizona and other States, common sense tells you that such a person must be here illegally and you can go ahead to insist on verification of their status.

This is what the law is all about.  However, those who thrive on racial politics like Obama, Al Capone Sharpton and the liberal Left see it as another opportunity to do what they know to do best - divide and conquer.

Thanks for educating me on this Tayo. People dont generally get all the information to make an informed opinion from the media.
Re: Arizona Immigration Law. Necessary Or Bad Law? by bawomolo(m): 5:02pm On May 23, 2010
Tayo-D:

@bawomolo,
The more pertinent question is this: "How can the Feds be at odds with a law they haven't read?"

how do you know they haven't read it?
Re: Arizona Immigration Law. Necessary Or Bad Law? by montelik(m): 6:26pm On May 23, 2010
Re: Arizona Immigration Law. Necessary Or Bad Law? by TayoD1(m): 10:14pm On May 23, 2010
@bawomolo,

how do you know they haven't read it?

You might want to check out these links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rH1FEcbi4A&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGbAspTyauY

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

BREAKING: We're Ending Your Presence Now, Iran Threatens US / South African Scoring Cheap Political Points With Nigeria. / European & American Psychopaths: How To Understand Western "thought"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.