Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,035 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:09 AM

"Atheist Can Do Good And Go To Heaven Too!", Pope Francis Says. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / "Atheist Can Do Good And Go To Heaven Too!", Pope Francis Says. (1236 Views)

No Atheist Can Understand This... / Pope Francis Requests Roman Catholic Priests Be Given The Right To Get Married / Disappointments/Difficulties Every Atheist Can Relate With (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

"Atheist Can Do Good And Go To Heaven Too!", Pope Francis Says. by OnyeOGA(m): 5:29am On Feb 22, 2018
Pope Francis has good news for atheists. Jesus died and was raised for them as well. His redemptive embrace was for all, not just a chosen few.The choice to accept its reach is our own. The Holy Father was not teaching anything new. In fact, this hope that all who do not yet know God are not only capable of doing good - but will progress toward that knowledge of God by doing good - is ancient. The Church wants all men and women to be saved.

LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - The Holy Father is full of surprises, born of true and faithful humility. On Wednesday he declared that all people, not just Catholics, are redeemed through Jesus, even atheists.
However, he did emphasize there was a catch. Those people must still do good. In fact, it is in doing good that they are led to the One who is the Source of all that is good. In essence he simply restated the hope of the Church that all come to know God, through His Son Jesus Christ.
Francis based his homily on the message of Christ to his disciples taken from the Gospel of Mark. Francis delivered his message by sharing a story of a Catholic who asked a priest if atheists were saved by Christ.
"They complain," Francis said, "If he is not one of us, he cannot do good. If he is not of our party, he cannot do good." He explained that Jesus corrected them, "Do not hinder him, he says, let him do good."
The disciples, Pope Francis explained, "were a little intolerant," closed off by the idea of possessing the truth, convinced that "those who do not have the truth, cannot do good." "This was wrong... Jesus broadens the horizon." Pope Francis said, "The root of this possibility of doing good - that we all have - is in creation."
"Even them, everyone, we all have the duty to do good, Pope Francis said on Vatican Radio.
"Just do good" was his challenge, "and we'll find a meeting point."
Francis explained himself, "The Lord created us in His image and likeness, and we are the image of the Lord, and He does good and all of us have this commandment at heart, do good and do not do evil. All of us. 'But, Father, this is not Catholic! He cannot do good.' Yes, he can... "The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us, with the Blood of Christ, all of us, not just Catholics. Everyone! 'Father, the atheists?' Even the atheists. Everyone!" We must meet one another doing good. 'But I don't believe, Father, I am an atheist!' But do good: we will meet one another there."
Father James Martin, a Jesuit priest, told the Huffington Post, "Pope Francis is saying, more clearly than ever before, that Christ offered himself as a sacrifice for everyone. That's always been a Christian belief. You can find St. Paul saying in the First Letter to Timothy that Jesus gave himself as a 'ransom for all.' But rarely do you hear it said by Catholics so forcefully, and with such evident joy. And in this era of religious controversies, it's a timely reminder that God cannot be confined to our narrow categories."
Pope Francis is trying to deepen our understanding of the fullness of Christ's sacrifice and its reach, which extends to all men and women. We often fall into familiar ways of thinking that are closed. We divide ourselves into groups, forgetting that we are all children of God, identical, regardless of any divisions we establish for ourselves.We are also all called to the One who created us and, through His Son,is recreating us anew. He calls us to accept His salavation.
The Pastoral Constitution on the Church in the Modern World (Gaudium et Spes) contains an important explanation of the phenomena referred to as 'Atheism' (See, GS #17-22). It is a very large term and we have to first examine what is meant when it is embraced by an individual to best understand the effect of the claim.
The Catechism of the Catholic Church explains that "Since it rejects or denies the existence of God, atheism is a sin against the virtue of religion but the imputability of the offense can be significantly diminished in virtue of the intentions and the circumstances" (CCC#2125).
The Holy Father was not teaching anything new. In fact, this hope that all who do not yet know God are not only capable of doing good - but will progress toward that knowledge of God by doing good - is ancient. On Good Friday we all pray:
Let us pray also for those who do not believe in Christ,that, enlightened by the Holy Spirit,they, too, may enter on the way of salvation. Almighty ever-living God,grant to those who do not confess Christ that, by walking before you with a sincere heart, they may find the truth and that we ourselves, being constant in mutual love and striving to understand more fully the mystery of your life, may be made more perfect witnesses to your love in the world. Through Christ our Lord.

http://www.catholic.org/news/hf/faith/story.php?id=51077
Re: "Atheist Can Do Good And Go To Heaven Too!", Pope Francis Says. by OnyeOGA(m): 5:31am On Feb 22, 2018
Cc; Lalasticlala, Myn44, Seun, Ishilove
Re: "Atheist Can Do Good And Go To Heaven Too!", Pope Francis Says. by Nwodosis(m): 5:33am On Feb 22, 2018
grin
Re: "Atheist Can Do Good And Go To Heaven Too!", Pope Francis Says. by Nobody: 5:53am On Feb 22, 2018
The papacy is a confused man.... Jesus is the way the truth and the light...

Until you have accepted him, prophesied him as you lord and save, follow and practice his teachings, Your good work would be like the prayers of a sinner.

The prayer of a sinner is an abomination unto God!

Why is the pope teaching shit

1 Like

Re: "Atheist Can Do Good And Go To Heaven Too!", Pope Francis Says. by hopefulLandlord: 5:54am On Feb 22, 2018
just in case
Re: "Atheist Can Do Good And Go To Heaven Too!", Pope Francis Says. by tochyano2: 5:57am On Feb 22, 2018
Yeah just in case cheesy
Re: "Atheist Can Do Good And Go To Heaven Too!", Pope Francis Says. by Jayson1: 6:05am On Feb 22, 2018
So the Pope knows who will make Heaven? I see he's God special assistant on Heavens matter...

Nonsense.

1 Like

Re: "Atheist Can Do Good And Go To Heaven Too!", Pope Francis Says. by PointZerom: 6:09am On Feb 22, 2018
grin
Re: "Atheist Can Do Good And Go To Heaven Too!", Pope Francis Says. by Samusu(m): 6:19am On Feb 22, 2018
Pope, karya ne, wuta za su

1 Like

Re: "Atheist Can Do Good And Go To Heaven Too!", Pope Francis Says. by Oche211(m): 6:27am On Feb 22, 2018
How can you expect to live in the kingdom nd paradise of a man who u don't even believe exist or make mockery of his existence.
Re: "Atheist Can Do Good And Go To Heaven Too!", Pope Francis Says. by Oche211(m): 6:29am On Feb 22, 2018
hopefulLandlord:
just in case
just in case of what? Mr, it won't cost u anything to accept JESUS as your Lord and person saviour. He's the way to heaven.
Re: "Atheist Can Do Good And Go To Heaven Too!", Pope Francis Says. by hopefulLandlord: 6:38am On Feb 22, 2018
If it reaches FP, I'll use this to reply the guy above me
Re: "Atheist Can Do Good And Go To Heaven Too!", Pope Francis Says. by ifex370(m): 6:41am On Feb 22, 2018
If it reaches FP, I'll use this to reply the guy above me too
Re: "Atheist Can Do Good And Go To Heaven Too!", Pope Francis Says. by hopefulLandlord: 6:48am On Feb 22, 2018
Oche211:

just in case of what?

In case of FP
Re: "Atheist Can Do Good And Go To Heaven Too!", Pope Francis Says. by festwiz(m): 7:06am On Feb 22, 2018
I don't know if the pope is trying to be politically correct or this is a tactic to get atheist's to adhere, even if so minute, to the christian beliefs.

It's like telling a kid who does not believe in the tooth fairy that he'd get a coin even if he does not leave a broken tooth. His disbelief may continue until he decides to test the myth.

#mywordsdon'tgetstrokonthem.
Re: "Atheist Can Do Good And Go To Heaven Too!", Pope Francis Says. by Nobody: 7:15am On Feb 22, 2018
Samusu:
Pope, karya ne, wuta za su
Nagode mutumina, gaya masu
Re: "Atheist Can Do Good And Go To Heaven Too!", Pope Francis Says. by butterflyl1on: 7:51am On Feb 22, 2018
The standard for the word of God cannot be broken and Jesus said

"Seek ye first the kingdom of God.... "

The Bible says

"As many as received him to them gave he power to be called the children of God"

Also

As many as are led by the spirit of God they are the sons of God

Also

Go ye into all the world and preach the gospel MAKING DISCIPLES OF men and baptising them IN THE NAME OF THE FATHER, AND OF THE SON AND OF THE HOLY SPIRIT.

It seems the Pope does not read the Bible nor does he understand its content. Atheists whose very core do not believe God exists, do not believe the Holy Spirit exists, and a lot do not believe Jesus existed are now the ones who will make heaven?

Catholic Church on behalf of us the true believers of the gospel of Jesus we reject this Pope and hand him over to the celestial church of Christ members.
Re: "Atheist Can Do Good And Go To Heaven Too!", Pope Francis Says. by sonmvayina(m): 8:08am On Feb 22, 2018
Is he trying to down play the importance of their invented Jesus? Only the destination is given, not the journey...
Every body ends up in the same place.
Re: "Atheist Can Do Good And Go To Heaven Too!", Pope Francis Says. by superhumanist(m): 9:04am On Feb 22, 2018
butterflyl1on:
The standard for the word of God cannot be broken and Jesus said

"Seek ye first the kingdom of God.... "

The Bible says

"As many as received him to them gave he power to be called the children of God"

Also

As many as are led by the spirit of God they are the sons of God

Also

Go ye into all the world and preach the gospel MAKING DISCIPLES OF men and baptising them IN THE NAME OF THE FATHER, AND OF THE SON AND OF THE HOLY SPIRIT.

It seems the Pope does not read the Bible nor does he understand its content. Atheists whose very core do not believe God exists, do not believe the Holy Spirit exists, and a lot do not believe Jesus existed are now the ones who will make heaven?

Catholic Church on behalf of us the true believers of the gospel of Jesus we reject this Pope and hand him over to the celestial church of Christ members.

First, you are not a Catholic, so keep quiet about the church rejecting the pope. Where were you when the 2 previous popes were covering up child abuse and supporting lavishness?

Secondly, Jesus mentioned the good Samaritan when asked about God's kingdom. The good Samaritan was neither a Christian nor Jew.

You are just a pitiful man who hates atheists. You are not even willing to share your imaginary haven with atheists. Na you build am? You don reach heaven before?
Re: "Atheist Can Do Good And Go To Heaven Too!", Pope Francis Says. by butterflyl1on: 9:17am On Feb 22, 2018
superhumanist:

First, you are not a Catholic, so keep quiet about the church rejecting the pope. Where were you when the 2 previous popes were covering up child abuse and supporting lavishness?

Secondly, Jesus mentioned the good Samaritan when asked about God's kingdom. The good Samaritan was neither a Christian nor Jew.

You are just a pitiful man who hates atheists. You are not even willing to share your imaginary haven with atheists. Na you build am? You don reach heaven before?

And Jesus has an answer for you.

John 14:6 (KJV)

6 Jesus saith unto him (superhumanist) , I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me

Do you believe in Jesus Christ? Do you believe he was the son of God? Do you believe he died and rose again for your salvation? Do you work the works of Christ? Does His spirit dwell in you?

Judge yourself. Case closed!
Re: "Atheist Can Do Good And Go To Heaven Too!", Pope Francis Says. by simplex2: 9:21am On Feb 22, 2018
OnyeOGA:
Pope Francis has good news for atheists.

How is going to heaven good news?
Re: "Atheist Can Do Good And Go To Heaven Too!", Pope Francis Says. by OnyeOGA(m): 9:26am On Feb 22, 2018
simplex2:

How is going to heaven good news?
An adage says,"Another man's food is another man's poison."
can i rest now
wink

1 Like

Re: "Atheist Can Do Good And Go To Heaven Too!", Pope Francis Says. by simplex2: 10:07am On Feb 22, 2018
OnyeOGA:

An adage says,"Another man's food is another man's poison."
can i rest now
wink

Okk...you made it sound like a man's food is food for all.

Not all of us are interested in your fantasy heaven so you and the pope can all go there and leave us in peace.
Re: "Atheist Can Do Good And Go To Heaven Too!", Pope Francis Says. by jchioma: 10:17am On Feb 22, 2018
The Pope may be right. Unless, we want to believe that our fore fathers who lived moral lives but did not know or accept Jesus are also in hell fire.
Re: "Atheist Can Do Good And Go To Heaven Too!", Pope Francis Says. by OnyeOGA(m): 10:19am On Feb 22, 2018
simplex2:

Okk...you made it sound like a man's food is food for all.

Not all of us are interested in your fantasy heaven so you and the pope can all go there and leave us in peace.
did i drag you on the neck to open the thread
Learn to mind ur business.
Re: "Atheist Can Do Good And Go To Heaven Too!", Pope Francis Says. by chemystery: 10:49am On Feb 22, 2018
Pope thank you. We don't need your imaginary heaven offered by your imaginary god. Even in my imagination, I will still reject Yahweh's heaven. If Yahweh can watch from heaven while his children anguish in hell, I can't stand such sight even for my enemy. So how can I be in same place with a cruel god whose morality is inferior to mine?
Re: "Atheist Can Do Good And Go To Heaven Too!", Pope Francis Says. by butterflyl1on: 10:53am On Feb 22, 2018
chemystery:
Pope thank you. We don't need your imaginary heaven offered by your imaginary god. Even in my imagination, I will still reject Yahweh's heaven. If Yahweh can watch from heaven while his children anguish in hell, I can't stand such sight even for my enemy. So how can I be in same place with a cruel god whose morality is inferior to mine?

Those in hell are not Gods Children. They may be his creation but they certainly are not his children

John 1:12
But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name

cc superhumanist your fellow atheist says he rejects an imaginary heaven. grin cheesy

He was offered it and he rejected it. Argue with your colleague. grin
Re: "Atheist Can Do Good And Go To Heaven Too!", Pope Francis Says. by Nobody: 10:54am On Feb 22, 2018
Nonsense
Re: "Atheist Can Do Good And Go To Heaven Too!", Pope Francis Says. by chemystery: 11:03am On Feb 22, 2018
butterflyl1on:

Those in hell are not Gods Children. They may be his creation but they certainly are not his children

You are right. I'm not talking base on reality though. Because what does not exist cannot have children. I was only keying into christian imagination which agrees that all humans are god's "children"
Re: "Atheist Can Do Good And Go To Heaven Too!", Pope Francis Says. by butterflyl1on: 11:07am On Feb 22, 2018
chemystery:

You are right. I'm not talking base on reality though. Because what does not exist cannot have children. I was only keying into christian imagination which agrees that all humans are god's "children"

Sorry, Christians do not subscribe to that. We believe all humans are Gods CREATION not Children.
Re: "Atheist Can Do Good And Go To Heaven Too!", Pope Francis Says. by superhumanist(m): 11:25am On Feb 22, 2018
butterflyl1on:

cc superhumanist your fellow atheist says he rejects an imaginary heaven. grin cheesy

He was offered it and he rejected it. Argue with your colleague. grin

You have always been slow.

I also said that heaven was imaginary. Stop talking nonsense

(1) (2) (Reply)

Limitation Of The Blood Of Jesus. Yes, It Is Limited. / 6 Reasons Why You Must Be Prayerful. By Apostle Selman. / We Paste Stickers & Share Flyers In Lagos, Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.