Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,725 members, 7,816,981 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:05 PM

Disappointments/Difficulties Every Atheist Can Relate With - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Disappointments/Difficulties Every Atheist Can Relate With (2531 Views)

No Atheist Can Understand This... / "Atheist Can Do Good And Go To Heaven Too!", Pope Francis Says. / Why Some Born-again Ladies Are Finding Difficulties To Get Married (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Disappointments/Difficulties Every Atheist Can Relate With by chemystery: 10:18pm On Aug 29, 2017
There are some disappointments and difficulties that comes along with being an atheist.
Below is not an exhaustive list but just what I could remember or relate with at the moment.
If you have yours, you can also share.

Everyone assumes you are a christian
Everyone assumes you are a christian, they want to conduct prayers and other religious activities every now and then. Even some nonreligious WhatsApp group would get bombarded with messages promoting Christianity.

I was at a training session in my workplace today, the trainer made a statement saying "...I believe everyone here is a christian....blah blah blah". And this is an instance of what you go through on a daily basis.

Everyone takes you as an alien
People see you as an alien. There are many people out there who doesnt know there exists people who doesn't believe in any god. To them, it is impossible not to believe in god and also nothing else! You just have to believe in something.

My response to this has always been I don't like football (yeah, truly I don't) and I'm not a fan of any club. Is that possible? The reply is always a YES. Now will you insist I can't just exist without being a fan of any football club?

No afterlife
As an atheist, you don't believe in afterlife thus losing your dear ones to a tragic event usually leaves you hopeless. To you, this is the beginning of the end of your togetherness and every relation with that person has come to an abrupt and final end! This is not the same for religious folks who can cope, having the hope of seeing and meeting such loved one someday in the afterlife or in a different world. It's quite a more painful experience for an atheist to contend with.

No justice afterlife
Of course I would like those armed robbers that stole my phone and laptop back then in school to face final justice. What about the other guy that took my 30K (meant for flexing last December) at gunpoint? Or those heartless politicians who embezzle money meant for the masses because they have the money and power to escape justice on earth? Well, they shall not go unpunished! Hell surely awaits them afterlife. But now, karma is your only hope

No more invisible helper
The thought of someone watching over you from the sky alone was so comforting. But now, you know that there is nobody there. sad

Difficulties in finding a spouse
It is quite difficult finding someone who would understand your non-belief. Every woman wants to marry a believer in church or mosque. Then if you have AS genotype, even babalawos cannot solve your compounded problems grin

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Disappointments/Difficulties Every Atheist Can Relate With by Nobody: 10:26pm On Aug 29, 2017
well you signed up for it , so u shall be able to copy with whatever comes out from being an atheist

1 Like

Re: Disappointments/Difficulties Every Atheist Can Relate With by butterflylion: 10:52pm On Aug 29, 2017
chemystery:
There are some disappointments and difficulties that comes along with being an atheist.
Below is not an exhaustive list but just what I could remember or relate with at the moment.

Everyone assumes you are a christian, they want to conduct prayers and other religious activities every now and then. Even some nonreligious WhatsApp group would get bombarded with messages promoting Christianity.

I was at a training session in my workplace today, the trainer made a statement saying "...I believe everyone here is a christian....blah blah blah". And this is an instance of what you go through on a daily basis.

People see you as an alien. There are many people out there who doesnt know there exists people who doesn't believe in any god. To them, it is impossible not to believe in god and also nothing else! You just have to believe in something.

My response to this has always been I don't like football (yeah, truly I don't) and I'm not a fan of any club. Is that possible? The reply is always a YES. Now will you insist I can't just exist without being a fan of any football club?

No afterlife
As an atheist, you don't believe in afterlife thus losing your dear ones to a tragic event usually leaves you hopeless. To you, this is the beginning of the end of your togetherness and every relation with that person has come to an abrupt and final end! This is not the same for religious folks who can cope, having the hope of seeing and meeting such loved one someday in the afterlife or in a different world. It's quite a more painful experience for an atheist to contend with.

No justice afterlife
Of course I would like those armed robbers that stole my phone and laptop back then in school to face final justice. What about the other guy that took my 30K (meant for flexing last December) at gunpoint? Or those heartless politicians who embezzle money meant for the masses because they have the money and power to escape justice on earth? Well, they shall not go unpunished! Hell surely awaits them afterlife. But now, karma is your only hope

No more invisible helper
The thought of someone watching over you from the sky alone was so comforting. But now, you know that there is nobody there. sad

It is quite difficult finding someone who would understand your non-belief. Every woman wants to marry a believer in church or mosque. Then if you have AS genotype, even babalawos cannot solve your compounded problems grin

Listing out difficulties you face as an atheist is simple. Why not try listing the solutions you found side by side with the difficulties.

I mean list out your coping mechanism for all you just listed. That would be a worthy read and not your problems.
Re: Disappointments/Difficulties Every Atheist Can Relate With by hopefulLandlord: 7:21am On Aug 30, 2017
Chemystry, I can relate bro, its like you echoed my thoughts with good precision

I have to add however that my own is slightly different from number 1 in that they don't assume everyone is a Christian, they just assume everyone is a theist or more narrowly either a Christian or Muslim, so it goes more like "I believe everyone here believes in (a) God"

3 Likes

Re: Disappointments/Difficulties Every Atheist Can Relate With by dalaman: 8:24am On Aug 30, 2017
hopefulLandlord:
Chemystry, I can relate bro, its like you echoed my thoughts with good precision

I have to add however that my own is slightly different from number 1 in that they don't assume everyone is a Christian, they just assume everyone is a theist or more narrowly either a Christian or Muslim, so it goes more like "I believe everyone here believes in (a) God"

Its always like that in Nigeria. Some Indian once said he was a Hindu in Abuja and the people around were just looking at him confused including my mum. They expected him to be a christian or muslim.

1 Like

Re: Disappointments/Difficulties Every Atheist Can Relate With by Nobody: 9:10am On Aug 30, 2017
no 1 reminds me of my aunt and how everyone in the family including me was horrible to her for simply belonging to eckankar religion.

3 Likes

Re: Disappointments/Difficulties Every Atheist Can Relate With by chemystery: 10:02am On Aug 30, 2017
butterflylion:

Listing out difficulties you face as an atheist is simple. Why not try listing the solutions you found side by side with the difficulties.

I mean list out your coping mechanism for all you just listed. That would be a worthy read and not your problems.
I would have done as you said if you had mentioned it before I created the thread. But it's already late sad
Re: Disappointments/Difficulties Every Atheist Can Relate With by butterflylion: 10:04am On Aug 30, 2017
chemystery:
I would have done as you said if you had mentioned it before I created the thread. But it's already late sad

No its not late. Go ahead and do so
Re: Disappointments/Difficulties Every Atheist Can Relate With by vaxx: 10:24am On Aug 30, 2017
chemystery:

No afterlife

No justice afterlife

No more invisible helper

even as an African traditional faithful ,I do find it difficult to cope among my Nigeria friends(students ) here

when ever i try making them see reasons why they need to appreciate African religion. it is usually taken as a metaphor for the opposite of everything considered good about Western religion. Christian and Muslim in particular.

but i found the Hindu and the Buddhist interesting as they are more than willing to learn. I will like to know if any of them are on nairaland

my encounter with atheist are not much?
Re: Disappointments/Difficulties Every Atheist Can Relate With by JackBizzle: 10:33am On Aug 30, 2017
I feel the op.

Life as an atheist in nigeria is hard. Worse is if you dont have money.

1 Like

Re: Disappointments/Difficulties Every Atheist Can Relate With by chemystery: 10:52am On Aug 30, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

My guys it's not easy. Last Sunday, I took a junior colleague out to drink. He was praising me of my kindness towards him and other coworkers in his grade. He said I'm just exceptional. He appreciated me for the love and kindness I showed him when he hard an accident at work place. He recounted that I was the only one who came to recognize with him amongst all the senior colleagues.

We kept on discussing. Since it was a Sunday, our discussion converged to religion and I eventually revealed to him I'm an atheists. The way the guys sprang up from his seat, leaving the beer and peppersoup I bought for him still amuses me till now.

" C'mon don't tell me that! You can't tell me that! There is nobody who doesn't believe in God. Why are you like this? In fact I'm scared of you now. Don't let me change the way I use to see you please"

Well, I was able to calm him down. I explained a lot of things to him. I also reminded him about all his praises and how he's placed me as the kindest amongst all. I also told him if he wants to change the way he sees me, then he should also see all my good deeds towards him as evil deeds since I don't believe in god, and all those who neglected him, he should see them as good people who has done the right thing since they all believe in god. People are funny!

2 Likes

Re: Disappointments/Difficulties Every Atheist Can Relate With by JackBizzle: 11:04am On Aug 30, 2017
chemystery:

My guys it's not easy. Last Sunday, I took a junior colleague out to drink. He was praising me of my kindness towards him and other coworkers in his grade. He said I'm just exceptional. He appreciated me for the love and kindness I showed him when he hard an accident at work place. He recounted that I was the only one who came to recognize with him amongst all the senior colleagues.

We kept on discussing. Since it was a Sunday, our discussion converged to religion and I eventually revealed to him I'm an atheists. The way the guys sprang up from his seat, leaving the beer and peppersoup I bought for him still amuses me till now.

" C'mon don't tell me that! You can't tell me that! There is nobody who doesn't believe in God. Why are you like this? In fact I'm scared of you now. Don't let me change the way I use to see you please"

Well, I was able to calm him down. I explained a lot of things to him. I also reminded him about all his praises and how he's placed me as the kindest amongst all. I also told him if he wants to change the way he sees me, then he should also see all my good deeds towards him as evil deeds since I don't believe in god, and all those who neglected him, he should see them as good people who has done the right thing since they all believe in god. People are funny!

grin i can relate to this

4 Likes

Re: Disappointments/Difficulties Every Atheist Can Relate With by dalaman: 12:47pm On Aug 30, 2017
JackBizzle:
I feel the op.

Life as an atheist in nigeria is hard. Worse is if you dont have money.

Atheist without money in Nigeria? Na death be that oo. Most people around me ONLY tolerate my skeptical utterances because I feed them. They don't even know that am an atheist but they just tolerate my comments only because I feed them. They get angry when I tell them that juju is fake or if I advise them to work things out instead of praying. Some months ago my in law brought TB Josuah's miracle water to the house and was trying to give my daughter to take for her fever, I rejected it and told her that her medication is enough. The inlaw took offense, she saw me as weird but didn't complain much cos she came to beg me for money. There are many other incedence like this.

I don't go to church or mosques. I don't follow them to pray and engage in other religious activities. When the bring their superstitions to me I point out to them that they are not real, I always apply caution though.

Am am enigma to most people around me. They really want to get mad at me but they can't because I feed them and am seriously liking it.

2 Likes

Re: Disappointments/Difficulties Every Atheist Can Relate With by Nobody: 12:48pm On Aug 30, 2017
I feel this. In a way we chose this, I don't believe many of us knew it would be exactly like this. Having to hide your religious views, being careful about what you say and who you say it to etc. But sha we believe what we believe so nothing can be done....

3 Likes

Re: Disappointments/Difficulties Every Atheist Can Relate With by Nobody: 12:51pm On Aug 30, 2017
dalaman:

Atheist without moneyin Nigeria? Na death be that oo. Most people around me ONLY tolerate my skeptical utterances because I feed them. They don't even know that am an atheist but they just tolerate my comments only because I feed them. They get angry when I tell them that juju is fake or if I advise them to work things out instead of praying. Some months ago my in law brought TB Josuah's miracle water to the house and was trying to give my daughter to take for her fever, I rejected it and told her that her medication is enough. The inlaw took offense, she saw me as weird but didn't complain much cos she came to beg me for money.

I don't go to churchor mosques. I don't follow them to pray and do other religious activities. When the bring their superstitions to me I point out to them that they are not real, I always apply caution though.

Am am enigma to most people around me. They really want to get mad at me but they can't because I feed them and am seriously liking it.

Surprising how "tolerant" people can be when you're rich, successful and providing for them. Not like I would know, I'm broke grin

2 Likes

Re: Disappointments/Difficulties Every Atheist Can Relate With by dalaman: 1:10pm On Aug 30, 2017
LightandDarkness:

Surprising how "tolerant" people can be when you're rich, successful and providing for them. Not like I would know, I'm broke grin

They have to be tolerant oo. If they vex for me then they'll have to go and meet Jesus himself and tell him to give them the money na. If they vex for me no money will come out, so them just dey vex dey tolerate me and me am seriously liking it. Am beating them and forcing them not to cry. grin

They find me more of an enigma, and conclude that am over educated or I lived with white people too much and they have brainwashed me, else how can I be saying that their superstitions are not real bla bla bla.

But being previlage to have access to many things because of money has taught me one thing, and that is that Nigerians ONLY worship money, especially the christians. Money is the only God that they believe in and knows that truly exist. Forget what they always say, just follow their actions because actions always speak louder than words. Money is the only God Nigerians worship.

My advice to all atheist in the house is, don't ever come out as an atheist if you don't have money. It's suicidal. If you have money they will tolerate you, they might not accept you but you will be tolerated and respected.

2 Likes

Re: Disappointments/Difficulties Every Atheist Can Relate With by hopefulLandlord: 1:36pm On Aug 30, 2017
dalaman:

Atheist without money in Nigeria?

a broke open atheist is a walking cliché, such an atheist is in fact enforcing others to believe in a god lol because most theists think their lives would be way worse without their imaginary friend and a simple look at a broke struggling atheist that can hardly get by is proof, according to them, that god exists although a broke theist isn't proof god does not exist, classic eating cake and having it

2 Likes

Re: Disappointments/Difficulties Every Atheist Can Relate With by dalaman: 1:45pm On Aug 30, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

a broke open atheist is a walking cliché, such an atheist is in fact enforcing others to believe in a god lol because most theists think their lives would be way worse without their imaginary friend and a simple look at a broke struggling atheist that can hardly get by is proof, according to them, that god exists although a broke theist isn't proof god does not exist, classic eating cake and having it

grin grin. You'd be surprised that they also tag rich athiest as rituallist.
Re: Disappointments/Difficulties Every Atheist Can Relate With by hopefulLandlord: 1:55pm On Aug 30, 2017
dalaman:

grin grin. You'd be surprised that they also tag rich athiest as rituallist.

yeah but I have to admit Nigerian theists are consistent in this instance and would call anybody richer than them thieves, kidnappers, corrupt and ritualists amongst many other adjectives regardless of religious affiliation

many Nigerians regard dangote as a ritualist and even think whoever its many trucks kill is a ritualistic sacrifice despite the fact that he's a Muslim

they also believe almost all our politicians are ritualists too that have human heads in their wardrobes where hard currencies are vomited on daily basis despite the fact that all our politicians are theists

although I must add that being an atheist makes the rumours much more believable as most Nigerians believe no one can get rich without some supernatural backing, be it from their own imaginary friend (Jesus Yahweh Allah) or imaginary enemies (witches, wizards, Mermaids, spiritual herbalists, cults, pagan gods etc) so once someone doesn't give credit to one of their imaginary friends for the successes, it must automatically mean that the successes came from their imaginary enemies, its a dichotomy to them and there's no middle ground

3 Likes

Re: Disappointments/Difficulties Every Atheist Can Relate With by dalaman: 2:01pm On Aug 30, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

yeah but I have to admit Nigerian theists are consistent and would call anybody richer than them thieves, kidnappers, corrupt and ritualists amongst many other adjectives regardless of religious affiliation

many Nigerians regard dangote as a ritualist and even think whoever its many trucks kill is a ritualistic sacrifice despite the fact that he's a Muslim

they also believe almost all our politicians are ritualists too that have human heads in their wardrobes where hard currencies are vomited on daily basis despite the fact that all our politicians are theists

although I must add that being an atheist makes the rumours much more believable as most Nigerians believe no one can get rich without some supernatural backing, be it from their own imaginary friend (Jesus Yahweh Allah) or imaginary enemies (witches, wizards, Mermaids, spiritual herbalists, cults, pagan gods etc) so once someone doesn't give credit to one of their imaginary friends for the successes, it must automatically mean that the successes come from their imaginary enemies, its a dichotomy to them and there's no middle ground

Nothing more to add since you've said it all.
Re: Disappointments/Difficulties Every Atheist Can Relate With by chemystery: 2:11pm On Aug 30, 2017
butterflylion:

No its not late. Go ahead and do so
To you, it isn't; to me, it is!
Re: Disappointments/Difficulties Every Atheist Can Relate With by butterflylion: 2:23pm On Aug 30, 2017
chemystery:

You do not have any specific coping mechanism do you? cheesy

If you did, you would realise that information would be extremely valuable to atheists like you who are passing through all you just mentioned in the OP.

Would you like for me to suggest coping mechanisms for you? grin

1 Like

Re: Disappointments/Difficulties Every Atheist Can Relate With by hopefulLandlord: 2:37pm On Aug 30, 2017
chemystery:

ignore the attention seeker on this thread abeg, don't bother with his rants he just wants to make this thread about himself... as usual

3 Likes

Re: Disappointments/Difficulties Every Atheist Can Relate With by butterflylion: 2:42pm On Aug 30, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

ignore the attention seeker on this thread abeg, don't bother with his rants he just wants to make this thread about himself... as usual

Hahahahahahahaha I am actually on your side doofus! Your hatred wouldn't let you see that.

I actually wanted him to leave coping mechanisms for his fellow atheists especially the new ones so they wouldn't end up committing suicide due to the pressures listed in the OP. Do you not care about their well being as a fellow atheist? cheesy

1 Like

Re: Disappointments/Difficulties Every Atheist Can Relate With by hopefulLandlord: 2:46pm On Aug 30, 2017
on our side indeed, its funny how its a theist that's screaming for coping mechanism while atheists that have posted so far are very much okay with the thread as it is and its brought up good discussions.....the desperation of our beloved Christian is too apparent and getting bigger with each new post here

3 Likes

Re: Disappointments/Difficulties Every Atheist Can Relate With by butterflylion: 2:52pm On Aug 30, 2017
hopefulLandlord:
on our side indeed, its funny how its a theist that's screaming for coping mechanism while atheists that have posted so far are very much okay with the thread as it is and its brought up good discussions so far.....the desperation of our beloved Christian is too apparent and getting bigger with each new post here

Quoting me directly wouldn't change your moniker to hopeless would it?

Do you not think future atheists would also view this thread? Or have you no hope there would be future atheists?

Let him offer the coping mechanisms so future baby atheists can have something to lean on as they slowly adapt don't you believe so? cheesy

You guys aren't discussing here but just consoling each other. Of greater value and importance would be coping mechanisms listed side by side with the OP. I believe sensible people would agree to this. When you list out complaints, common sense entails you suggest solutions alongside.
Re: Disappointments/Difficulties Every Atheist Can Relate With by hopefulLandlord: 2:53pm On Aug 30, 2017
vaxx:
even as an African traditional faithful ,I do find it difficult to cope among my Nigeria friends(students ) here

when ever i try making them see reasons why they need to appreciate African religion. it is usually taken as a metaphor for the opposite of everything considered good about Western religion. Christian and Muslim in particular.

but i found the Hindu and the Buddhist interesting as they are more than willing to learn. I will like to know if any of them are on nairaland

my encounter with atheist are not much?

I agree, I think most parts of the OP applies to non Christians and non Muslims too
Re: Disappointments/Difficulties Every Atheist Can Relate With by JackBizzle: 2:57pm On Aug 30, 2017
dalaman:

Atheist without money in Nigeria? Na death be that oo. Most people around me ONLY tolerate my skeptical utterances because I feed them. They don't even know that am an atheist but they just tolerate my comments only because I feed them. They get angry when I tell them that juju is fake or if I advise them to work things out instead of praying. Some months ago my in law brought TB Josuah's miracle water to the house and was trying to give my daughter to take for her fever, I rejected it and told her that her medication is enough. The inlaw took offense, she saw me as weird but didn't complain much cos she came to beg me for money. There are many other incedence like this.

I don't go to church or mosques. I don't follow them to pray and engage in other religious activities. When the bring their superstitions to me I point out to them that they are not real, I always apply caution though.

I remember one of my friends arguing with me about tithe. He said tithing will bring further blessings. I then asked him that why then is he broke and asking me for money since he has been tithing for over 5 years. He got angry and left. The next time I saw him, he was looking for a partner for his business. I then asked him jokingly to tithe more so that he would have enough money to start his business. He just kept quiet at first then switched the conversation to his business proposition.

Money is the only thing that silences a hungry Nigerian.

3 Likes

Re: Disappointments/Difficulties Every Atheist Can Relate With by hopefulLandlord: 2:59pm On Aug 30, 2017
JackBizzle:

I remember one of my friends arguing with me about tithe. He said tithing will bring further blessings. I then asked him that why then is he broke and asking me for money since he has been tithing for over 5 years. He got angry and left. The next time I saw him, he was looking for a partner for his business. I then asked him jokingly to tithe more so that he would have enough money to start his business. He just kept quiet at first then switched the conversation to his business proposition.

Money is the only thing that silences a hungry Nigerian.

you wicked o grin
Re: Disappointments/Difficulties Every Atheist Can Relate With by JackBizzle: 3:01pm On Aug 30, 2017
butterflylion:

Quoting me directly wouldn't change your moniker to hopeless would it?

Do you not think future atheists would also view this thread? Or have you no hope there would be future atheists?

Let him offer the coping mechanisms so future baby atheists can have something to lean on as they slowly adapt don't you believe so? cheesy

You guys aren't discussing here but just consoling each other. Of greater value and importance would be coping mechanisms listed side by side with the OP. I believe sensible people would agree to this. When you list out complaints, common sense entails you suggest solutions alongside.

Ogbeni.

Kindly keep your suggestions to yourself. The op might not have the solutions. That is why everyone can comment on a thread. Others can contribute.

Furthermore, there are other threads that have advise for atheists living in Nigeria
Re: Disappointments/Difficulties Every Atheist Can Relate With by JackBizzle: 3:03pm On Aug 30, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

you wicked o grin

I was JJC when I came back from the UK.

My eyes have now cleared with these religious people. grin
Re: Disappointments/Difficulties Every Atheist Can Relate With by butterflylion: 3:04pm On Aug 30, 2017
JackBizzle:

Ogbeni.

Kindly keep your suggestions to yourself. The op might not have the solutions. That is why everyone can comment on a thread. Others can contribute.

Furthermore, there are other threads that have advise for atheists living in Nigeria

Oh yes there are but surely none with such detailed complaints listed out. cheesy

So far all I have read about is that Atheists need to hustle for money so they would be accepted.

Is that the only coping mechanism out there? grin

You can contribute yours too you know.

I would like to read about your coping mechanism. I am sure it would be something amazing cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Muhammed Suicide Attempts / What Is Atheophobia? / A Refutation Of Supernatural Claims

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.