Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,733 members, 7,817,017 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:05 PM

Indecent Dressing Attracts Rapists, Says Pastor - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Indecent Dressing Attracts Rapists, Says Pastor (1693 Views)

Bridal Train Sent Out By A Pastor Over Indecent Dressing During Wedding In Edo / "Water Baptism Is A Useless Practice" Says Pastor Abel Damina / “I'M A Man Of God That Love Pussy"- Says, Pastor Wilson (video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Indecent Dressing Attracts Rapists, Says Pastor by Pookiej: 1:08pm On Feb 22, 2018
Pastor Festus Oladoyin, of the Blessings of Christ Church, Tanke, Ilorin, on Thursday, urged girls to dress decently, in order to reduce the incidence of rape in the country.

Oladoyin, who gave the advice in an interview, said that indecent dressing had become a norm among many Nigerian girls, thus making them victims of rape.

According to him, many of these girls dress immorally, leading to being raped by some desperate men.

“Girls now dress half-naked going around the town. They expose every part of their body to the public, not minding their actions.
Read more: http://naijachurchnews.com/indecent-dressing-attracts-rapists-cleric/

Re: Indecent Dressing Attracts Rapists, Says Pastor by Seun(m): 1:12pm On Feb 22, 2018
Rape has very little to do with the dressing of the victim. Islamic countries which force women to cover everything up probably have more rape than western countries whose young women typically wear bikinis to the beach. Rape happens when rapists feel that they can get away with it.

13 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Indecent Dressing Attracts Rapists, Says Pastor by SOFTENGR: 1:16pm On Feb 22, 2018
The only way to reduce rape is Capital Punishment

1 Like

Re: Indecent Dressing Attracts Rapists, Says Pastor by Seun(m): 1:37pm On Feb 22, 2018
SOFTENGR:
The only way to reduce rape is Capital Punishment
Capital punishment for rape is an extremely bad idea. It would be unjust and also counterproductive: more rape victims would be murdered.

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Indecent Dressing Attracts Rapists, Says Pastor by hopefulLandlord: 2:11pm On Feb 22, 2018
Seun:

Capital punishment for rape is an extremely bad idea. It would be unjust and also counterproductive: more rape victims would be murdered.

so what is(are) your suggestion(s) for reducing rape?
Re: Indecent Dressing Attracts Rapists, Says Pastor by superior1: 2:25pm On Feb 22, 2018
Seun:
Rape has very little to do with the dressing of the victim. Islamic countries which force women to cover everything up have more rape than western countries whose young women typically wear bikinis to the beach. Rape happens when rapists feel that they can get away with it.

According to what empirical sources?.... this is a blatant lie
Re: Indecent Dressing Attracts Rapists, Says Pastor by hopefulLandlord: 2:29pm On Feb 22, 2018
superior1:

are you agreeing with Pastor Festus Oladoyin?
Re: Indecent Dressing Attracts Rapists, Says Pastor by hopefulLandlord: 2:29pm On Feb 22, 2018
double post
Re: Indecent Dressing Attracts Rapists, Says Pastor by Humanistme: 2:34pm On Feb 22, 2018
superior1:

go to Twitter and type the hashtag #mosquetoo
Re: Indecent Dressing Attracts Rapists, Says Pastor by superior1: 2:39pm On Feb 22, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

are you agreeing with Pastor Festus Oladoyin?

I am saying the moniker I quoted lied
Re: Indecent Dressing Attracts Rapists, Says Pastor by superior1: 2:42pm On Feb 22, 2018
Humanistme:

go to Twitter and type the hashtag #mosquetoo

And quantitatively compare it with #metoo?
Re: Indecent Dressing Attracts Rapists, Says Pastor by hopefulLandlord: 2:45pm On Feb 22, 2018
superior1:

about what?
Re: Indecent Dressing Attracts Rapists, Says Pastor by hopefulLandlord: 2:45pm On Feb 22, 2018
superior1:

about what?
Re: Indecent Dressing Attracts Rapists, Says Pastor by superior1: 2:51pm On Feb 22, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

about what?

Islamic countries which force women to cover everything up have more rape than western countries whose young women typically wear bikinis to the beach
Re: Indecent Dressing Attracts Rapists, Says Pastor by hopefulLandlord: 3:23pm On Feb 22, 2018
superior1:

If I'm not misunderstanding you, by saying he's lying you're saying that Islamic countries have less rape incidents than that of the western countries?
Re: Indecent Dressing Attracts Rapists, Says Pastor by Seun(m): 3:28pm On Feb 22, 2018
hopefulLandlord:
so what is(are) your suggestion(s) for reducing rape?
Educate everybody about consent: Men (and women) should be taught to immediately stop doing whatever they are doing when someone says no. Women (and men) should always say yes when they mean yes, and no when they mean no, so that no rapist would have any excuse. As citizens, we must stop behaviours that blur the line between consensual sex, which is awesome, and rape, which is a very serious crime.

The government should convict rapists under the existing laws. 99% of rapists would not rape if they knew that they would be jailed for it.

Since the government is slow, companies can do what they are doing in USA, which is to fire employees who are found to have raped someone.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Indecent Dressing Attracts Rapists, Says Pastor by CoolUsername: 3:37pm On Feb 22, 2018
That's right, blame the victim.

Bloody idiot.

Re: Indecent Dressing Attracts Rapists, Says Pastor by CoolUsername: 3:45pm On Feb 22, 2018
Seun:

Educate everybody about consent: Men (and women) should be taught to immediately stop doing whatever they are doing when someone says no. Women (and men) should always say yes when they mean yes, and no when they mean no, so that no rapist would have any excuse. As citizens, we must stop behaviours that blur the line between consensual sex, which is awesome, and rape, which is a very serious crime.

The government should convict rapists under the existing laws. 99% of rapists will not rape if they know that they will be imprisoned for it.

Since the government is slow, companies can do what they are doing in USA, which is to fire employees who are found to have raped someone.

You're quite right, but a line has to be drawn somewhere, especially with your last point. We don't want to fall into the same errors of the west where men (never women) lose their livelihoods, and are kicked out of college just because of an unverified accusation on Twitter.

1 Like

Re: Indecent Dressing Attracts Rapists, Says Pastor by tintingz(m): 4:08pm On Feb 22, 2018
Indecent dressing is not the main factor nor the focus on what cause rape, religious people and many Africans are just too illogical, Seun was right, Saudi Arabia for example, with their strict dress code for women, rape cases still exist there, in fact many of their victims don't speak up because at the end of the day the victim will be blame and even receive more punishment than the rapist.

Even kids are rape also, so this is not about indecent dressing, it's more to that.

2 Likes

Re: Indecent Dressing Attracts Rapists, Says Pastor by superior1: 4:52pm On Feb 22, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

If I'm not misunderstanding you, by saying he's lying you're saying that Islamic countries have less rape incidents than that of the western countries?

Yap, statistically. The first 10 countries with high rape incidents are largely western.
Re: Indecent Dressing Attracts Rapists, Says Pastor by kimco(m): 1:01am On Feb 23, 2018
superior1:

Yap, statistically. The first 10 countries with high rape incidents are largely western.

unfortunately, deir civilised ways mean that most of their crimes get reported as compared to the others. but believe that wives and even lovers get raped in desert countries cos dey believe they own the women. India and co. statistics is wat is reported not the actual picture and the fact the in de backward world, the likelihood DAT the criminal will get away with the crime is high.
Re: Indecent Dressing Attracts Rapists, Says Pastor by paxonel(m): 3:35am On Feb 23, 2018
People should address the root of the problem which is changing the mind and orientation of Nigerian men and not indecent dressing of women.

Men use indecent dressing as an excuse to rape women but the truth is, even if all women start dressing decently whoever have the mind to rape will still rape. And whoever does not have the mind to rape no matter how the woman dress indecently that's not his business

So make the pastor go rest

2 Likes

Re: Indecent Dressing Attracts Rapists, Says Pastor by superior1: 8:08am On Feb 23, 2018
kimco:

unfortunately, deir civilised ways mean that most of their crimes get reported as compared to the others. but believe that wives and even lovers get raped in desert countries cos dey believe they own the women. India and co. statistics is wat is reported not the actual picture and the fact the in de backward world, the likelihood DAT the criminal will get away with the crime is high.

I get the point you appear to be making but who becomes the judge of what is civilized and not?, there is no international benchmark on what constitutes rape in the technical sense e.g. in some countries, should a single woman enter a single man's (who is not her relative) apartment voluntarily, she is adjudged to make non-verbal consent to sex and in some, if the woman who is your wife asked you to stop while already in motion of consented sex and you failed, she can claim rape.

I believe in a multivariant approach to understanding the issue of rape and the Pastor's message shouldn't be waved off as religious nonsense as some 'smart' atheists here seem to do.
Re: Indecent Dressing Attracts Rapists, Says Pastor by kimco(m): 9:53am On Feb 23, 2018
superior1:

I get the point you appear to be making but who becomes the judge of what is civilized and not?, there is no international benchmark on what constitutes rape in the technical sense e.g. in some countries, should a single woman enter a single man's (who is not her relative) apartment voluntarily, she is adjudged to make non-verbal consent to sex and in some, if the woman who is your wife asked you to stop while already in motion of consented sex and you failed, she can claim rape.

I believe in a multivariant approach to understanding the issue of rape and the Pastor's message shouldn't be waved off as religious nonsense as some 'smart' atheists here seem to do.

okay let's substitute the word "civilised" with "technically advanced" or "of higher literacy". I believe that's accurate.

...I understand that most men take " no" sometyms as "playing hard to get" and most times it is, especially when the NO! is a feeble one. But everyman knows when to stop when the lady gives you a resounding NO!

So with this, I want to believe that No doesn't always mean NO! its sometyms means, "try a bit more harder, I don't want to appear cheap" and that's okay. in fact its part of the charm that comes with ladies, and forms part of pre-intimacy I believe.

But mistake not a woman Voluntarily coming to your house to mean she has consented to sex...its a silly way of thinking. A sure way of using that excuse is if you put up a sign that says "if you enter, I will f**k you" and have them sign a contract to that effect. until then, that's jux silly.

let's not deny the fact that surely sexy clothes MIGHT incite SOME rape cases. However, like most criminal acts, its because they are mostly aware that they will get away with it. Just like most people are not involved with armed robbery...the stakes are too high, only the willing are capable, otherwise with our economy in shambles, the youth with be involved heavily.

so the pastor isn't wrong, however he is not right, either. he made it seem like the dressing was the only (edit: mostly) reason why men raped women. a rapist will go down on anyone, sometyms months old babies. If the dressing was mostly the case then prostitutes would be raped most of the tym.

these days women are very willingly to have sex (for a fee, either at pt of sale, or later in some other way) so I hear little of the rape cases, unlike before.
Re: Indecent Dressing Attracts Rapists, Says Pastor by Seun(m): 2:51pm On Feb 25, 2018
CoolUsername:
You're quite right, but a line has to be drawn somewhere, especially with your last point. We don't want to fall into the same errors of the west where men (never women) lose their livelihoods, and are kicked out of college just because of an unverified accusation on Twitter.
Yes, companies should investigate allegations thoroughly before taking any permanent punitive actions against their accused employees.

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Indecent Dressing Attracts Rapists, Says Pastor by Matoni: 4:58pm On Feb 25, 2018
Seun:
Rape has very little to do with the dressing of the victim. Islamic countries which force women to cover everything up have more rape than western countries whose young women typically wear bikinis to the beach. Rape happens when rapists feel that they can get away with it.

Where did you he your facts? Wikipedia says differently. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_statistics
Re: Indecent Dressing Attracts Rapists, Says Pastor by Matoni: 5:16pm On Feb 25, 2018
You said this...
kimco:

let's not deny the fact that surely sexy clothes might incite SOME rape.

And Pastor Festus Oladoyin, of the Blessings of Christ Church, Tanke, Ilorin, on Thursday, urged girls to dress decently, in order to reduce the incidence of rape in the country.

You agreed with him so he might be right. Besides his suggestion aims only REDUCE rape cases SO I DON'T THINK YOU ARE CORRECT to say that "he made it seem like the dressing was the only reason why men raped women"
Re: Indecent Dressing Attracts Rapists, Says Pastor by Seun(m): 5:27pm On Feb 25, 2018
Matoni:
Where did you he your facts? Wikipedia says differently. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_statistics
Those are reported cases. Most cases are not reported. A lot of scenarios that are considered to be rape in western countries are not recognised as rape in the muslim countries, such as statutory rape (sex with a minor), marital rape (forcing your wife), or a woman withdrawing consent. A woman who reports being raped in a muslim country could be jailed or sentenced to death for "adultery". The rapist may not even be punished.

Having said that, I must admit that there's no basis for my assertion that there's more rape in the muslim countries. There's probably more.
Re: Indecent Dressing Attracts Rapists, Says Pastor by kimco(m): 1:49am On Feb 27, 2018
Matoni:
You said this...

And Pastor Festus Oladoyin, of the Blessings of Christ Church, Tanke, Ilorin, on Thursday, urged girls to dress decently, in order to reduce the incidence of rape in the country.

You agreed with him so he might be right. Besides his suggestion aims only REDUCE rape cases SO I DON'T THINK YOU ARE CORRECT to say that "he made it seem like the dressing was the only reason why men raped women"
pastor festus:
That is why rape cases are on the increase. I don’t mean all
rape cases are caused by indecent dressing, but 70 per cent
occurs as a result of indecent dressing.
I agree I exaggerated, but with the above quote, ami really that far from the truth? 70%? Where did he get this findings from? Spiritual encounterment?

No matter how indecent someone dresses, if one believes he myt be severely punished for rape (most are not, even in the western world) like get their dick cut off, the likelyhood to desist will be very high. Becos like I said men will find festish wherever they want to. So far as they believe they can get away with it, they'll do it.

(1) (Reply)

The Unchangeable Changer / Islamist Raymond Ibrahim: New Saudi Fatwa Defends Pedophilia As 'marriage' / Christian Dress Code

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.