Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,744 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:39 AM

Pastor Tunde Bakere Hits Out At 'compulsory Tithing' - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Pastor Tunde Bakere Hits Out At 'compulsory Tithing' (1525 Views)

Pastor Tunde Bakare Blasts Bourdillon And 2023 Presidential 'Hope-Fools' / 2023: Pastor Tunde Bakare Reveals Where Buhari’s Successor Should Come From / Buhari’s Ministerial List: Pastor Tunde Bakare Reacts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pastor Tunde Bakere Hits Out At 'compulsory Tithing' by Nobody: 3:21pm On Feb 22, 2018
pastor Tunde Bakere has hit out at the practice of tithing - which is when Christians give 10% of their earnings to the church.

Pastor Tunde Bakare told the BBC Yoruba service that it should not be compulsory.

Giving tithes is a controversial topic here in Nigeria and many churches compel members of their congregations to tithe, even though many people cannot afford to do so.

It is estimated that 80% of Nigerians live on less than $2 (£1.40) a day.

Pastor Bakare, who leads the popular Later Rain Assembly church in Lagos, did not mince his words:

Tithing is not compulsory. No-one should feel compelled to pay - no-one is holding a gun to their head."
The words of the pastor, who is also a politician - he served as President Muhammadu Buhari's running mate in the 2011 elections won by Goodluck Jonathan - are likely to spark a fierce debate.

He warned:
churches where pastors are becoming fat and the members are growing lean, God will judge them."

source:www.bbc.com

4 Likes

Re: Pastor Tunde Bakere Hits Out At 'compulsory Tithing' by ProjectNaija(m): 3:32pm On Feb 22, 2018
Ccc: seun lalasticlala grin
Re: Pastor Tunde Bakere Hits Out At 'compulsory Tithing' by Nobody: 7:55am On Feb 23, 2018
Ccc:
Re: Pastor Tunde Bakere Hits Out At 'compulsory Tithing' by agwom(m): 8:07am On Feb 23, 2018
Toh
Re: Pastor Tunde Bakere Hits Out At 'compulsory Tithing' by Histrings08(m): 8:07am On Feb 23, 2018
Where's daddy freeze now
Re: Pastor Tunde Bakere Hits Out At 'compulsory Tithing' by CharleyBright(m): 8:19am On Feb 23, 2018
Tithe ??
The way and Manner many Pastors are so much Stressing on Tithes made me raise eyebrows as to the ulterior motive behind it.
I need to ask these pertinent questions:

1. When Jesus Christ was about to depart the earth, didn't he advise the Church to feed the flocks ( Congregation)??
Arent the Churches feeding the flock or milking them thru Tithes and Offerings?

2. What essential are the Billions of Naira (Tax Free) generated from Tithes and offering used for?
3. With the rampant stolen funds and illicit cash in Nigeria that are finding their ways into the church, has any of these pastors ever warned Congregation not to pay Tithes with Stolen funds or uncleaned monies? NO.
They definitely won't preach against that.
The Church doesnt care the illegal source of monies, what they care is Congregation paying Tithes from whatever source.
I dare any of these Pastor to preach against paying tithes with stolen funds.
4. If the Church uses proceeds of Tithes and offering to build expensive Schools and Universities (& businesses ) which are far beyond the reach of the tithe payers, why are proceeds of Tithes and Offerings ( or profits from the schools & businesses) not used to establish low cost schools or medical facilities to service the greater percentage of the members from which the Tithes and offering are gotten from?
I simply don't buy the idea of taxing the Congregation to establish expensive schools and universities and then come up with the narrative that the schools are meant to use to reach out ( evangelize) to the highly placed in the society.

5. The Bible says " Bring the Tithes to the STORE-HOUSE, so there will be meat in my house". Can somebody tell me the meaning of Storehouse? Or can anyone say there is meat presently in the House of God for Tithe payers when they can't even see or know where the Storehouses are in churches?

6. I belong to a Denomination that plant churches every where. The Church HQ yearly earmarks thousands of parishes to be planted nationwide, but they DONT NO set aside a kobo for the planting of these parishes. The Workers and Congregation are almost taxed to fund the new parishes. And after a few months, the Church HQ requires tithes and offerings to be remitted to them monthly. DO YOU REAP WHERE U DID NOT SOW?
And in most cases, the parishes can't even afford to renew rents for the parishes and the Church HQ are not concerned.
Parish Pastors, workers and Congregations are everly saddled with the burden of raising monies to pay church rents, buy church equipments etc, while the parishes are generating Tithes and Offerings to be remitted to Church HQ.
When Church events are to be held by the HQ, they still call on parish members nationwide to raise monies for the programmes. And one starts asking what happens to the billions of weekly tithes and offering if they can't be used to fund church events.
....All I see is luxurious lifestyles of G.Os , acquiring fleets of luxurious cars and Private jets while the tithe payers languish in penury.

Lot of Ugly and unacceptable manner by which the churches acquire monies thru tithes and offering and yet, they don't account for it or utilise it for the benefit of the Tithe payers.
The Tithes and offerings are generated at parish levels, they are remitted to HQ, and they never get back to support the languishing parishes.
These are absolutely unacceptable and God frowns at these!!

Since i dont see what the Church is doing with Tithes and Offerings, and having gotten a vivid understanding of Deut 14: 22- 29 -
I have devised a better means for my tithes. I either sow my tithes into the lives of the less privileged ( widows and orphans that needs it more) as commanding in Deut 14. OR, I look for the pressing need of my parish and I donate the tithe for that purpose.
That way I can see the usefulness of my tithe and I am more fulfilled. And if I choose to, I sit down and eat my tithe very well as stated in Deut 14: 22- 26. ( The Bible commands us to eat our tithes) It is not a Sin. If anyone says eating ones tithe is a Sin, then Deut 14: 22-26 is blasphemy.

So PLEASE I DONT CARE ABOUT ANYONE'S OPINION ON HOW I SHOULD USE MY TITHE.

1 Like

Re: Pastor Tunde Bakere Hits Out At 'compulsory Tithing' by Redhot111(m): 9:21am On Feb 23, 2018
Thus isn't what we want to here. He should be bold enough to say it directly. Should we pay tithe or not? Is it right 4 Pastors to collect tithe or not. He shouldn't lecture us on the "no body puts a gun to ur head to demand tithe" afterall fraudsters don't go around putting guns to people's head yet God still doesn't approve of their deeds. Bakari shouldn't try to bend thus issue one kind oooo
Re: Pastor Tunde Bakere Hits Out At 'compulsory Tithing' by walesalak(m): 9:36am On Feb 23, 2018
Pay your Tithe and you shall not be Tight
Re: Pastor Tunde Bakere Hits Out At 'compulsory Tithing' by dlondonbadboy: 9:39am On Feb 23, 2018
All of a sudden, tithing is no longer compulsory...

God bless Freeze.

1 Like

Re: Pastor Tunde Bakere Hits Out At 'compulsory Tithing' by maslong(m): 11:38am On Feb 23, 2018
CharleyBright:
Tithe ??
The way and Manner many Pastors are so much Stressing on Tithes made me raise eyebrows as to the ulterior motive behind it.
I need to ask these pertinent questions:

1. When Jesus Christ was about to depart the earth, didn't he advise the Church to feed the flocks ( Congregation)??
Arent the Churches feeding the flock or milking them thru Tithes and Offerings?

2. What essential are the Billions of Naira (Tax Free) generated from Tithes and offering used for?
3. With the rampant stolen funds and illicit cash in Nigeria that are finding their ways into the church, has any of these pastors ever warned Congregation not to pay Tithes with Stolen funds or uncleaned monies? NO.
They definitely won't preach against that.
The Church doesnt care the illegal source of monies, what they care is Congregation paying Tithes from whatever source.
I dare any of these Pastor to preach against paying tithes with stolen funds.
4. If the Church uses proceeds of Tithes and offering to build expensive Schools and Universities (& businesses ) which are far beyond the reach of the tithe payers, why are proceeds of Tithes and Offerings ( or profits from the schools & businesses) not used to establish low cost schools or medical facilities to service the greater percentage of the members from which the Tithes and offering are gotten from?
I simply don't buy the idea of taxing the Congregation to establish expensive schools and universities and then come up with the narrative that the schools are meant to use to reach out ( evangelize) to the highly placed in the society.

5. The Bible says " Bring the Tithes to the STORE-HOUSE, so there will be meat in my house". Can somebody tell me the meaning of Storehouse? Or can anyone say there is meat presently in the House of God for Tithe payers when they can't even see or know where the Storehouses are in churches?

6. I belong to a Denomination that plant churches every where. The Church HQ yearly earmarks thousands of parishes to be planted nationwide, but they DONT NO set aside a kobo for the planting of these parishes. The Workers and Congregation are almost taxed to fund the new parishes. And after a few months, the Church HQ requires tithes and offerings to be remitted to them monthly. DO YOU REAP WHERE U DID NOT SOW?
And in most cases, the parishes can't even afford to renew rents for the parishes and the Church HQ are not concerned.
Parish Pastors, workers and Congregations are everly saddled with the burden of raising monies to pay church rents, buy church equipments etc, while the parishes are generating Tithes and Offerings to be remitted to Church HQ.
When Church events are to be held by the HQ, they still call on parish members nationwide to raise monies for the programmes. And one starts asking what happens to the billions of weekly tithes and offering if they can't be used to fund church events.
....All I see is luxurious lifestyles of G.Os , acquiring fleets of luxurious cars and Private jets while the tithe payers languish in penury.

Lot of Ugly and unacceptable manner by which the churches acquire monies thru tithes and offering and yet, they don't account for it or utilise it for the benefit of the Tithe payers.
The Tithes and offerings are generated at parish levels, they are remitted to HQ, and they never get back to support the languishing parishes.
These are absolutely unacceptable and God frowns at these!!

Since i dont see what the Church is doing with Tithes and Offerings, and having gotten a vivid understanding of Deut 14: 22- 29 -
I have devised a better means for my tithes. I either sow my tithes into the lives of the less privileged ( widows and orphans that needs it more) as commanding in Deut 14. OR, I look for the pressing need of my parish and I donate the tithe for that purpose.
That way I can see the usefulness of my tithe and I am more fulfilled. And if I choose to, I sit down and eat my tithe very well as stated in Deut 14: 22- 26. ( The Bible commands us to eat our tithes) It is not a Sin. If anyone says eating ones tithe is a Sin, then Deut 14: 22-26 is blasphemy.

So PLEASE I DONT CARE ABOUT ANYONE'S OPINION ON HOW I SHOULD USE MY TITHE.

RCCG IF MAY GUESS.
Re: Pastor Tunde Bakere Hits Out At 'compulsory Tithing' by maslong(m): 11:40am On Feb 23, 2018
walesalak:

Says fake pastor.

1 Like

Re: Pastor Tunde Bakere Hits Out At 'compulsory Tithing' by walesalak(m): 1:04pm On Feb 23, 2018
maslong:

Says fake pastor.
Hehehehe
Re: Pastor Tunde Bakere Hits Out At 'compulsory Tithing' by LLSAINT(m): 2:12pm On Feb 23, 2018
Na so dem tell you abi? Go tell Bill Gates or Mark Zukerberg grin
walesalak:
Re: Pastor Tunde Bakere Hits Out At 'compulsory Tithing' by LLSAINT(m): 2:14pm On Feb 23, 2018
Open your eyes, God bless who? who is Freeze or freezer? It is just that we do not study and are shallow only to praise a mis-road fellow for our long ignorance.
dlondonbadboy:
All of a sudden, tithing is no longer compulsory...

God bless Freeze.
Re: Pastor Tunde Bakere Hits Out At 'compulsory Tithing' by Nobody: 10:02pm On Feb 24, 2018
walesalak:
hehehe
Re: Pastor Tunde Bakere Hits Out At 'compulsory Tithing' by Nobody: 7:10am On Feb 25, 2018
Histrings08:
Where's daddy freeze now
he is preaching in his church

(1) (Reply)

2019: Group Endorses Gov Dankwambo For President / How I Spent 11 Hours On Tree-top To Escape Abduction - Dino Melaye / Which Presidential Candidate Can Unite Nigerians Again?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.