Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,115 members, 7,811,134 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:58 AM

The Problem With Dreams, Visions And Clairvoyance - Religion (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Problem With Dreams, Visions And Clairvoyance (21085 Views)

SERIOUS ALERTS: Imminent Rapture Visions And Messages ( JANUARY 2015 Till Date) / A Nairalander's Prophetic Visions/Declarations For 2015 (Buhari and GEJ Warned) / My Trips To Heaven,hades And Under The Ocean,other Visions And Visitations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Problem With Dreams, Visions And Clairvoyance by PastorAIO: 8:31am On Sep 22, 2010
Hello Peeps,

About the Gunas. I understand the gunas a little bit differently from what My Joe posted above. I don't really see them as a progressive quality from bad/stuupid (tamas) to enlightened (sattvas).

If you consider life/existence as a dynamic system, ie a process extending over time, then the 3 gunas are descriptions of the tendencies of the process.

So,

1) Tamas is a tendency towards inertia. In this case we are looking a system that doesn't change. In human terms we are talking about someone who is caught up in habitual patterns and cannot break out of them. This 'being stuck' can be likened to death.

2)Rajas is a tendency towards quickness. Rajas can change gear, can change paradigms. By quickness I mean it in the old english sense of the word, as life as opposed to death, movement as opposed to inertia.
However Rajas is not totally free of form or structure. It is merely not stuck in one form, or in one formula.

3)Sattvas is a tendency towards total freedom. Here spontaneity can occur. A sattvic system is free of the determinism of rajas and tamas.

For example, imagine someone living in a grid like city, like New york. He learns that the way to get to work from his home is to go north for 2 blocks, ie past the first right and past the second right, and then take the 3rd right and walk down it for one block and his office is on the corner.

Imagine that one day there is a road block on his north bound route. If he is a Tamasic person he will be totally confounded. His pattern has been blocked. He might try to force his way through the road block by arguing and kicking up a force. and then he might try stealth. This attitude might be successful for him or it might not.

If he was a rajasic person, he would waste no time in devising an alternative route. Up the road for one block, take the first right, and then the first left and then continue up for one more block. The Rajasic process of getting to work is more flexible.

A sattvic person might not even encounter the road block at all. From the minute he left home he spontaneously found himself taking an alternative route. If asked why, he might just say that he felt like doing something different.

Each of these tendencies have situations and times when they are most apt. There is not one that is better than the other. There are times when it is beneficial to inculcate habits into ourselves and there are other times when it pays to be more creative.
Re: The Problem With Dreams, Visions And Clairvoyance by nuclearboy(m): 8:53am On Sep 22, 2010
@Kieryn:

Could you please enlighten me on this issue of dreams, visions, etc being done away with. There has to be a source for such a precise statement- please lets have it
Re: The Problem With Dreams, Visions And Clairvoyance by MadMax1(f): 2:15pm On Sep 22, 2010
One quick addition. We don't mean the same thing by the word 'reincarnation',MyJoe. I'd mentioned earlier that reincarnation as Christ taught it is NOT the popular idea of it. Christ did NOT teach successive human rebirths. Although it's possible, under unusual circumstances, for a spirit to be born here a second time, in which case he'd have no memory of the other time, we live this life only once. When we die, we're done here. We're eternal spirits made in the image of God. This life isn't the beginning of our existence,nor its end. When we're here we're spirit beings who take on flesh, and by that, a dual nature; body and spirit. Death is merely us shedding the body and reverting back to our natural spirit form. What happens after we die is between that individual and God. Christ did NOT teach the Hindu/Buddhist doctrines of successive cycles of human rebirths and experience. Reincarnation, as He taught it, had nothing to do with repeat human births, nothing to do with this world, everything to do with the idea that each of us comes here only once and the sum of our choices determine our fate after we leave this life. It has everything to do with the fact, which shocked me, that NO ONE attains Christlikeness (perfection to other faiths)in a single lifetime and so we don't automatically go to be with God after we die. It is a continuous and very long process, and spirits are at different stages of it.

This biological life on earth is merely a single step in a long road. It is a very important step; it determines what happens when we leave time (the physical universe) and go back to eternity, which is not a long or endless expanse of time, but the complete absence of time. We then move towards God and progress in Christlikeness, or we are repulsed by God and separated from Him (hell). Christ saves us all, Moslem, Christian, Buddhist, Hindu; Jesus is an infinitesimally tiny fraction of who and what Christ is. No one gets to God without Him. But not all men are saved. Which is their own choice. When someone like,say,Ted Bundy dies he leaves his body and reverts to spirit, an evil spirit. He is not attracted to God but repelled and separated from God. Still God loves him.What happens in eternity is between him and God. But at the end of it all, in the very long run, it's not likely every spirit will be saved, ie, reunited with God. Some may be lost. Christ did not teach successive cycles of human rebirths. This life is not a step we repeat. It's part of a long,long road towards God, from whom we are separated. The purpose of our existence is being reunited with God. It is a goal which takes much much much more than this life. This life is merely one of the steps we've been taking in that direction before time began. That's what He taught and what I accept.

You seem to have read Yogi Ramarachi more thoroughly than I. I skimmed through until something caught my attention at the middle, and that when I began to pay attention. No idea what his views on the Jewish Messianic expectations were, though I'll check now. The Essenes were an obscure Jewish religious group. Him saying Jesus was an Essene is just elevated idle speculation; nothing whatsoever backs it up.

Yogi Ramaracha is a Hindu/Yoga Master. His guru's name was Baba Bharata. Mystic Christianity is a compilation of his teachings on the subject, and the only one on Christianity thus compiled. All his other teachings are in Yoga. Fourteen Lessons in Yogi Philosophy and Oriental Occultism, A Series of Lessons in Gnani Yoga The Yoga of Wisdom, A Series of Lessons in Raja Yoga, etc. Are you perhaps uncomfortable with a Yogi calling Jesus 'Master' and acknowledging him as  the Christ? Do you want Yogi Ramarachi to be a Christian or Essene (only Jewish and long extinct, I think)? He was a Hindu/Yoga master that lived over a hundred years ago. A former lawyer converted to Yoga, likely, from conventional religions. Who knows, perhaps by the time you become a Yogi master/teacher your views on Christ would have changed.  grin

How do you know there is reincarnation in successive human cycles? I don't know whether it happens or not, only that Christ didn't teach it, and so I don't believe it. Your views on continuous human reincarnation, as a believer, would be interesting. Buddhists believe we're returned, not only as people, but as animals and fish and insects and inanimate ojects like rocks.

Nuc, you keep making me laugh. Yeah, I work, but I get to delegate a lot and so get to do pretty much what I like with some of my time. I do a lot of reading. Books are magical things. It takes you into the minds of other people, alive or dead, and you get to know some of their thoughts and the things that were important to them. Someone may have been dead for centuries and yet you get to know him or her from the words they left behind. It's like the cave paintings our ancestors made, when they decorate walls with imprints of their palms and feet, as if to say, 'I was here. I was alive.' And those paintings, countless thousands of years old, are still there till this day, while they are long gone. Books do something similar, and I love them. If I'm online I'm probably doing online research, and often log in here at the same time. Your selecting Ayn Rand's books told me you're into heavy reading. But there are millions of books and we've merely read different things, nothing more.
Re: The Problem With Dreams, Visions And Clairvoyance by DeepSight(m): 2:40pm On Sep 22, 2010
Mad_Max:

[color=#000099]One quick addition. We don't mean the same thing by the word 'reincarnation',MyJoe. I'd mentioned earlier that reincarnation as Christ taught it is NOT the popular idea of it. Christ did NOT teach successive human rebirths. Although it's possible, under unusual circumstances, for a spirit to be born here a second time, in which case he'd have no memory of the other time, we live this life only once. When we die, we're done here. We're eternal spirits made in the image of God. This life isn't the beginning of our existence,nor its end. When we're here we're spirit beings who take on flesh, and by that, a dual nature; body and spirit. Death is merely us shedding the body and reverting back to our natural spirit form. What happens after we die is between that individual and God. Christ did NOT teach the Hindu/Buddhist doctrines of successive cycles of human rebirths and experience. Reincarnation, as He taught it, had nothing to do with repeat human births, nothing to do with this world, everything to do with the idea that each of us comes here only once and the sum of our choices determine our fate after we leave this life. It has everything to do with the fact, which shocked me, that NO ONE attains Christlikeness (perfection to other faiths)in a single lifetime and so we don't automatically go to be with God after we die. It is a continuous and very long process, and spirits are at different stages of it.

This biological life on earth is merely a single step in a long road. It is a very important step; it determines what happens when we leave time (the physical universe) and go back to eternity,

This really resonates with me: especially the last line in the quote above. However just a quick question: you state that this earth life is merely a single step in the long road and that it is a very important step, and that it determines what happens after we leave time. I could not agree more.

In that event what do you think happens re: human beings who die as infants and who as such are not able to inculcate this earthlife into their experience - do you think that such human  beings are the main ones who will have to be reincarnated on the earth in order to properly inculcate the earthly experience into their spirits. Much like repeating the class.

Now following from the foregoing, do you not think that the analogy can be stretched: namely that any human being regardless of his age who has not properly inculcated the experience of the earth into his spirit will be reincarnated on AN Earth or this Earth for the purpose of firmly completing that crucial step in his development before moving on.

If that is the case how can you be certain that reincarnation does not obtain in the successive and repeatitive fashion as envisaged by oriental religious thought?
Re: The Problem With Dreams, Visions And Clairvoyance by DeepSight(m): 3:17pm On Sep 22, 2010
@ Pastor/ MyJoe. . .

Reading your posts on the gunas really sparked my interest and having dwelt on those gunas a little, I thought that in addittion to Pastor's brilliant surmise, it is possible to also obtain other interesting perceptions of the essence of these gunas by viewing them as follows -

It is said that in Samkyha philosphy all creation is made up by a balance composed of all three forces. So it seems to me that one could understand this eternal balance as -

<- - - - Destruction     - - -        Preservation     - - -  Creation    - - - - >

Tamas                                           Raja                                  Sattva

ORIGINAL: NON-BEING                     WORLD                              ORIGINAL: BEING

Where Sattva would equate with original being and existence: thus the tendency of GOD - hence its relation to that which is most liberated in totality. This would make sense as Sattva is said to denote order, balance and purity - core elements of the conception of the primordial GODHEAD.

And raja would equate with the air, the firmament - thus creation and all the various possibilities inherent in it. This is related to preservation and has some connection with the eternity of the creations. . .

And Tamas would equate with darkness and non-being and will thus be less mobile, less creative and express itself in terms of force. This will be borne out since Tamas is said to denote inactivity and inertia, and also has a somewhat negative connotation.

This is a contrived reading. Different, but I do not think takes anything away from that which you have expressed, which is another reading that also seems simultaenously brilliant and true to me.

Particularly, since all exist in balance (and I can see some relation here to that which we have discussed in the past on the self-existence of light and darkness) it is possible to view, perhaps not just Sattva, but all three as being inherent in the Godhead, or fountain of existence. This will particularly rhyme with Pastors perception that that all three have a purpose and are beneficial in specific contexts.

Does anybody detect within this a possible resolution of the philosophical question of evil. . .?
Re: The Problem With Dreams, Visions And Clairvoyance by MadMax1(f): 3:48pm On Sep 22, 2010
Deep Sight:

In that event what do you think happens re: human beings who die as infants and who as such are not able to inculcate this earthlife into their experience - do you think that such human  beings are the main ones who will have to be reincarnated on the earth in order to properly inculcate the earthly experience into their spirits. Much like repeating the class.

It would seem so. But it is neither automatic nor compulsory that it be here, this particular world. There are other alternatives. An infinity of them. They may have the experience here, or elsewhere. To that category, return here is a viable option, nothing more.

Deep Sight:

Now following from the foregoing, do you not think that the analogy can be stretched: namely that any human being regardless of his age who has not properly inculcated the experience of the earth into his spirit will be reincarnated on AN Earth or this Earth for the purpose of firmly completing that crucial step in his development before moving on.

If that is the case how can you be certain that reincarnation does not obtain in the successive and repeatitive fashion as envisaged by oriental religious thought?

That's a long stretch. I merely stated what reincarnation is as taught by Christ, and it does NOT say succesive cycles of human rebirths. Far from it. But you say, on AN earth, indicating the multiplicity of God's creation, the countless worlds in this physical universe and other universes that God made, where the experience of exercising free will in relation to other beings may take place. His creation is vast and without number. The test isn't flesh and roads and houses and oceans and sky; it's the choices you make in relation to God and other people; whether Love is what rules you or hate. So an infinity of worlds and realities is suitable for the experience, as long as other spirits are there for your freely made choices to be tested against. They are all the works of God. This universe is merely one of countless physical universes and dimensions. This world, planet earth, is one of an infinite number of worlds spirits take biological life and become dual-natured in. We may go to any one. While there we remember nothing of our past till we leave.

It's different from the Buddhist/Hindu reincarnation. The rationale is the same. Hinduism/Buddhism is light years from mainstream Christianity in the sense of having long realised perfection or Christlikeness is a process that takes more than one lifetime. But it believes this world is all there is, the only place all our experiences happen in before we go to God. Not so. The ENTIRE creation of God, worlds upon worlds, realms upon realms, universe upon universe, are the limitless opportunities offered the spirit beings God made in His image. You've been to other places before you came here. Here, in the flesh, that knowledge is veiled from you, for very good reasons. You will remember when you shed the flesh, a clumsy hindrance, and revert back to spirit. The Hindu human rebirth doctrine is like automatically repeating the same class over and over in this world till all your lessons are learned and you are perfected and go to God. According to Christ, it doesn't happen that way. We come here only once, and our choices here determine our fate in eternity. I don't get what you mean by 'firmly inculcating the experience of the earth into his spirit'. We grow in love here, or we grow in hate, and the sum of our choices determines our fate after biological death. A Ghandi comes here, lives and dies. A Ted Bundy or Hitler comes here, lives and dies. Diffeerent things happen in eternity, the effect of the sum of their choices here. It is not a thing to be taken lightly.

A child or baby who dies has a return to this world as a likely possibility, because this earthly life- or something similar- MUST happen so important cumulative choices can be made, that determines the fate of that spirit in eternity. When an adult dies, that's it. They do not have return here as a possibility. It would have to be extremely, vanishingly rare. They go on to Christ, and what happens next in eternity is between the two of them. We come here only ONCE. In a sense the verse by the unknow Judaic writer of Hebrews is correct: It is appointed unto men to die once, and after that the judgement. There isn't a Judgement Day. There's no time outside this place, and no 'days'. Your judgement day is the day you die. That's what Christ taught reincarnation as, and so, what I believe.
Re: The Problem With Dreams, Visions And Clairvoyance by MyJoe: 5:54pm On Sep 22, 2010
@Mad Max
LOL. It is quite complicated. There are different ancient scripts dealing with specific aspects. But it is a system that has developed over millennia with various sages and gurus making their inputs.

Anybody can be a Sadhaka, but not everyone can become a supreme seeker. Being good looking is a function of natural endowments and healthy living. A man who grew up physically well endowed who allowed himself to grow a protruding belly would not be considered good looking in this sense. To be a supreme seeker, one must be appreciably physically attractive, spiritually minded, intellectually gifted, morally upright, and emotionally sound. Bear in mind that for this fourth and last category it is unrealistic to expect up to 2% of seekers to qualify.

Yoga is one of the six classic schools of Hindu philosophy. You often find an interconnection between all the schools. For examples guna comes from Samkhya. The short path? That would be Kundalini Yoga, although I will hardly call it short since the disciple is supposed to wait for the master to watch him and then pronounce him ready before he can commence studies. But, again, all that is changing now you can purchase Yoga across the counter like paracetamol to be taken three times daily. And yes, the “short path” can be a dangerous state of affairs.

Some Tenets of Yoga
Ahimsa: Non violence. It has a negative meaning not to kill, and a positive meaning to abide in love for every creature, for the same Universal Spirit pervades them all. To kill a living thing is to insult its Creator. You are not to kill for sport, food or anything. A vegetarian diet is necessary to advance in this path. You would not carry weapons, for instance, on your person for your own protection since a Yogi fears no evil and relies on God for protection. A Yogi lives in opposition to evil, but not the wrong-doer. Connoted in Ahimsa are abhaya (freedom from fear) and akhroda (freedom from anger). Freedom from fear comes from purity and knowing. Note there are two types of anger: one which is spiritually up-building and one which is debasing. It is the latter the Yogi avoids. Thus he is stern with himself whenever he stoops low but gentle with others when they fail.

Satya: Truth. This is the highest moral standard, without which you cannot become fit for union with infinity. Truthfulness is in thought, words and deed. This principle encompasses the control of the tongue, that is, the avoidance of the four sins of speech listed as: (i) abuse and obscenity, (ii) lying, (iii) tale bearing, (iv) ridiculing what others hold as sacred. A truthful person needs not run after anything, for when she prays with a pure heart, everything she needs comes to her.

Asteya: Non stealing. Stealing to a Yogi includes taking what belongs to another without permission, taking it with permission but using it for a purpose other than that for which it is requested, holding on to it for more than the time requested from the owner. It also includes acquiring or gathering to himself things he does not need.

Brahmacharya: Celibacy or self-restraint. The retention of semen means the retention of life, its loss means the reverse. What Yoga really emphasizes, though, is the continence of the body, speech and mind. Brahmacharya should not be interpreted literally as the prohibition of marriage. In fact, marriage is encouraged for the Sadhaka, since without experiencing human love it is difficult to recognise divine love. And one of the scriptures say the Yogi should not renounce family, profession, or society. But he is to put the Lord first and foremost. He can keep his work, but his mind should not lie there

Aparigraha: Non-hoarding. This is an extension of asteya (non-stealing). This one goes further to say you should not take anything from anyone as a favour without having worked for it, for that is poverty of the spirit. A Yogi does not hoard because he has faith in the abilities of God and himself to provide for the future. Whenever he faces poverty he remembers the moon. During the latter half of the month, it rises late in night when no one is awake to appreciate its splendor. But it keeps proudly in the sky knowing that in a short while it will be full again and men will croon its praises. Aparigraha makes life simple. It takes the Sadhaka out of illusion and misery.

Niyama: Personal rules of conduct. The five niyamas deal with rules of conduct for the individual, as opposed to the universal rules. They are listed by Patanjali as: (i) saucha (purity), (ii) santosa (contentment), (iii) tapas (austerity), (iv) savdyaya (Self study), (v) Isvara pranidhana (dedication to the Lord). There is no vagueness here, either. Each of the rules has specific connotations in Yoga. For example, dedication to the Lord does not mean going to a temple, but absolute submission to God in will and action. Thus a Sadhaka surrenders every sense of “I” or “me” and never prays for personal gratifications. His prayer is: “I do not know what is good for me. Let your will be done, Lord.” He knows that all creation truly belong to God and so cannot possibly be vain about any abilities or possessions.

The breath or life force of every individual is connected to the cosmic breath, that is, the breath of the Universal Spirit, Brahma. Yoga, the Enlightened state, is the stage where there is Oneness between the individual’s breath that of the Universal Spirit. Pranayama helps bring this about. It is the bridge, the link. That is the belief.

When you reach the state of Yoga, you will have no doubt because you will go into a state of super consciousness. I cannot fully comprehend that, much less explain it, since I am quite obviously not in that state! But think of someone who is in a state of absolute peace. Not the peace of the dead, but a living, knowing peace. You cannot threaten to kill him, for instance, because death is not significant. You cannot take his house away because he doesn’t have a need for shelter. You cannot throw him in prison because his soul is liberated and no man can touch the soul. He feels no pain. Now that is another thing I do not fully grasp. There are claims that enlightened ones do not feel the physical effect of heat. There are no recorded objective cases of this – not that enlightened ones would be interested in having their cases objectively exhibited or recorded. But there is hardly any doubt that enlightened ones have come out of being buried alive for days. Think of someone who knows everything – all his past lives and where he has ever been, doesn’t have to wonder if there are people in other universes because he can simply go out there and get the knowledge he craves.

What you wrote about reincarnation up there makes for interesting reading. I am obviously far less familiar with what Jesus taught on the matter than you are. Perhaps you can shed more light. I think it’s perfectly fine for the Yogi to call Jesus master. I am deeply skeptical about the claims of Jesus’ Essenic links, but I have nothing to refute them. My personal views on reincarnation are nothing set in stone. It is a topic I take every opportunity to explore. From what I have explored, I am inclined to the continuous rebirth theory. But perhaps you can shed more light on your perspectives. Where did Jesus teach reincarnation?

And who says fish-consuming MyJoe will become a guru or even has such aspirations?  grin
Re: The Problem With Dreams, Visions And Clairvoyance by MyJoe: 6:33pm On Sep 22, 2010
Pastor’s post above brings other valuable perspectives to that matter and should help us to understand the gunas better as tendencies, rather than traits.

Tamas: Inertia, Heaviness; Resolves by means of ignorance and obstruction

Rajas: Activity; Energy; Resolves by passion born of craving and attachment

Sattva: Truth and Goodness; Spiritual Essence; Resolves by means of attachment to knowledge and joy

These are tendencies ingrained in the unconscious, so, no, they do not manifest as “progressive qualities”. And it is fair to argue that we don't change. But we can. The scriptures enjoin it. It is recommended that tamas and rajas are to be weeded out to obtain a sattvic frame of mind. And people in whom the sattvo-guna frame of mind predominate are to work to transcend the three gunas. This is what Yoga teaches.

In terms of whether or not one is better than the other, we have to ask “better” in relation to what? Let me look at it in terms of our day to day life. Is it better to be thin or to be fat? It is better to be thin if you wish to become an athlete. It may be better to be thin if you wish to have good health. It is better to be fat if you wish to be a sumo wrestler. Many would say it is better to be thin on the whole. But some will vehemently disagree with that. Now, that is a grossly inadequate example, as the differences between the gunas are much more profound. They can determine your choices which can profoundly affect the course of your life.

If my driving life ambition is to become a billionaire (if you read some of these self-help books, you’d think that is all there is to life) then one guna may not be better than the other – depending, of course, on how I intend to make my billions. If all I want to be is a Nobel Prize winning writer or an Olympic medal winning swimmer, one may often not be better than the other. Even in my family life, it is possible to have a wonderful relationship with my spouse and kids whatever my guna if I happen to be on the boat with people I gel with. And in your world nobody may care if you eat milk and vegetables (sattvic in Yoga), fish and chocolate (rajasic), or meat and onions (tamasic).

However, gunas influence your thoughts, actions are relationships. It takes a man of certain tendencies to be able to relate with everybody than a man of other tendencies. It takes a woman of certain tendencies to quarrel with everyone in the neighbourhood. Someone may enter a room and the whole place is lit up. That is to do with his tendencies. People may be caught up in the rain and all run past the only house in the vicinity rather than seek shelter, because of certain tendencies of the landlord.

In the ordinary business of life, the different tendencies may serve you in different situations (expediency), but the thoughts and actions most closely associated with tamas and rajas are those you are most likely to identify as bad traits and work hard to overcome. That is why you often hear, “I can’t control myself once I’m angry,” “I worry too much,” “I have been trying to stop smoking for three years.” The example Pastor gave bears this out when you look at the big picture. Still, maybe there are times it is better to go robotic than to be creative – there could be, but I’m not sure of that.

The three gunas are present in everyone, with the predominating one often asserting itself in your thoughts and actions, tamas tending towards the coarse, and sattva towards the fine. Thus, in Yoga there is no equivocation – tamas and rajas are to be rooted out completely, for the gunas are like gravity, they drag you down when you desire to go up.

Are the three gunas inherent in God? I will sit back and enjoy Deep Sight philosophise on that one.  smiley
Re: The Problem With Dreams, Visions And Clairvoyance by MadMax1(f): 8:05pm On Sep 22, 2010
It took some fishing out and some 'leading' jare. Turns out these teachings were expunged from the bible in antiquity. Church priests would teach different classes of people different things, and added doctrines to biblical texts that suited the political power games they were playing, or that incorporated the views of some pope. The shenanigans involving the bible will make anyone cognizant of it almost throw the book away. They allegedly removed all verses and references to reincarnation from the gospels, John's gospel being the most edited. The texts had no name, they were just scrolls; the labelling came later- The Gospel according to this or that, etc. There were no photocopying machines or printers in antiquity so preserving texts meant rewriting the whole thing by hand, which instantly created an original hadnwritten copy. When they date scrolls they've no idea which copy they're dating, since there's nothing to distinguish copies from original; they're all handwritten.

They put some of the missing and edited texts and teaching together from the contents of extant letters exchanged in antiquity between church clergy, letters extremely old. There were also other verified sources.

There's also praying and learning without reading about them anywhere. These are always confirmed when actual research starts. It's common with everyone who has a relationship with God. He's a living Being, not an abstraction in a holy book and when you pray according to His/Her/IT's will, you get answers. There are shifts in consciousness and perception. You wake up, as if from a slumber you weren't aware you'd been in. It's quite common for people to find themselves capable of things and knowing things; events happening far from you, or events that haven't happened yet. I know people who are vouchsafed future events about places or individuals. It's different things with different people across different religions, but it's very, very common. It's something you must already know, and experience. Some would say it's the voice of their 'Higher Selves' doing all that in them. I don't pretend to know what that means. But I do know life is much more interesting when one allows God and Christ in, than life without God. There's simply no comparison.

Why shouldn't you be a guru? A Yogi. Don't you want to? That's the point, isn't it? From what you say, Yoga seems to demand awesome self-discipline, though. Not everyone has that. I certainly don't. Honestly, it sounds fantastically interesting.
Re: The Problem With Dreams, Visions And Clairvoyance by kieryn(f): 6:49am On Sep 23, 2010
Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away. 1 Cor. 13:8

The use of "tongues ", speech to spread God's message in those time was effective since radio, print and other media were not available. As the bible message began to spread and advance no was no longer a use for prophecies and speaking of tongues.

FYI- Speaking in tongues today is babble, gibberish, whereas during the first century speaking in tongues, meant speaking a different language. Why the change?
Re: The Problem With Dreams, Visions And Clairvoyance by nuclearboy(m): 7:02am On Sep 23, 2010
^^^

Oh, an assumption! Radio, TV and print media are the new equivalent of dreams, visions and speaking in tongues, right?

I think you need to re-assess your beliefs, Sir/Ma.

A statement such as "Femi" is dead infers certainty of his demise rather than a "feeling" that since you've not seen him for the past 5 years, definitely he must be dead.

1 Cor 13:8 did not give a timeline and God still retains choice to use whatever He wishes to pass the message across. That said, I am not supporting the machine-guns on the pulpits, only stating the obvious - no one has right to determine for God His timing.
Re: The Problem With Dreams, Visions And Clairvoyance by kieryn(f): 7:14am On Sep 23, 2010
There is a point to everything. There was a reason for visions, dreams and tongues back then because "spiritual knowledge" was it infancy, the bible was not finished,
Fast forward today we have advanced "spiritual knowledge and a complete bible and pretty much everyone around the world has some understanding about god. what is the point of vision, dreams, and tongues. There purpose was served and no longer in use. As earlier said people speaking in tongues speak gibberish which has nothing to do with spreading "spiritual knowledge".
Re: The Problem With Dreams, Visions And Clairvoyance by PastorAIO: 10:17am On Sep 23, 2010
MyJoe:
Still, maybe there are times it is better to go robotic than to be creative – there could be, but I’m not sure of that.

If in order to achieve a certain goal you need to establish a routine then being tamasic will be of help. For example if I'm studying for an exam and I want to wake up at 7 am every morning to start studying and then leave to go to the library at 9am till 1 pm when I'll break for lunch then study some more then go to the gym then return home and study some more before going to bed. And I need to do this everyday for 2 months. If I didn't cultivate a tamasic nature I'm sure that I would die of boredom.
Re: The Problem With Dreams, Visions And Clairvoyance by vescucci(m): 11:07am On Sep 23, 2010
@Nuclearboy. Speaking in tongues? There's probably no singular religious and hilarious absurdity I've ever come across than this one. According to the bible, the reason is clear. There really is no need for it especially in recent times. I've once asked a 'prayer warrior' what the reason was for his agitated vocalisations and he told it is so that the devil will not understand his prayers and thus intercept and destroy them. I was speechless. I left my friend alone. Truth is, the devil is probably the most over-rated being provided he ever existed. You know the way Bush and his people (or rather some people and their dimwit puppet Bush) cohered the citizens by creating an enemy image which was 'terrorism.' Religions use the same tactic with the boogeyman, the devil. He 'tempted' Christ. He of all people should know better, no? It's like tempting a King with chocomilo. I've done a lot of light research over two years that became very vigorous in the last six months. Unfortunately, my methods are not good for finding what is true (which is what I'm really concerned with) but I only get convinced of untruth or unnecessary things which don't matter if it were true or not. I've discovered that there seems to be, as far as humanity is concerned, an evolution of sorts from polytheism to monotheism and I feel the next step is agnostism (which most of us are but won't admit) and finally atheism. This is a trend I think is happening but truth is truth and it doesn't matter if majority of humanity believe a thing but the trouble I face is that even though I believe such a man as Jesus walked the earth and he was something special, I find no proof of the historical Jesus. The little I found refer to a Christ which is a title. I thought then, if he did all those fantastic things, he ought to be the rave of the century and I nearly dismissed him as myth because of this. Later I found that many awesome things that were attributed to him where probably myths from old Jewish prophets, their messianic expectations or pagan myths brought from all over chiefly by Paul. There is an unsettling similarity between myths about Jesus and other myths. Virgin birth, Dec 25th, Easter, Crucifiction, Resurrection, 3day death, almost every darn thing has a parallel in some mythological being widely known at those times.

Extrapolating I've gone through phases of unhappiness that I'm sure there can be no God. I very nearly lost my left eye yesterday and I started to think. If I became blind, would I wanna keep living knowing that after I die, that would be it? That would be the most miserable existence I can imagine. I've decided to stop searching and start praying (or hoping for I dunno how to pray) before I convince myself that there is no God. I'm really struggling with what to believe. Whatever the case may be, God's existence is a delusion, I'm afraid, I'm not ready to shed.
Re: The Problem With Dreams, Visions And Clairvoyance by nuclearboy(m): 6:09pm On Sep 23, 2010
^^^ The argument is not whether it exists today or not. It is the certainty of the assertion that it does not.

Note the assertion is based solely on feeling - radio is here and so is tv THEREFORE it doesn't exist anymore (not it is no longer necessary).

I was speaking to someone today about a couple of "friends" who felt they were competing with me business-wise and ended up losing more than anyone thought possible. I told him nature preaches to us better than even the Bible - plant a seed, watch it bud, watch it grow, tend it, nuture it, get rid of weeds and in the NATURAL time (for its species), it will bring forth (based on the level of nurture it had). Thus Maize will not bud in the time Oranges do. My point concerning my business as expressed to my friend was that cash crops take longest but when they start, thats it. Cocoa will not fruit in Maizes' 3 months no matter what you do. I basically showed him the process and nurturing I went through!

You might want to try same and seek God in nature - Nature teaches better than scholarship or intellect and its there obvious to us all (if we look).
Re: The Problem With Dreams, Visions And Clairvoyance by MadMax1(f): 6:37pm On Sep 23, 2010
Nature? Like the wild? Like a garden or something? The sea? Volcanos? Hurricanes? Cyclones? Earthquakes? I don't get it. Do you mean the cycles of things? And why can't one use the, er, 'intellect'? What else is there to use? You're not recommending the pinkie finger, are you? grin
Re: The Problem With Dreams, Visions And Clairvoyance by nuclearboy(m): 6:40pm On Sep 23, 2010
Effect shows a "Cause"! On every single level. EVERY SINGLE ONE!
Re: The Problem With Dreams, Visions And Clairvoyance by MadMax1(f): 6:55pm On Sep 23, 2010
Nuc I don't get it. If you're talking about the special effects in nature, natural selection explains it nicely, don't you think? Where's God to be observed therein? I know there's cause and effect in the sense of sowing and reaping; it's a fundamental underpinning of this world, but can they be observed, do you think?
Re: The Problem With Dreams, Visions And Clairvoyance by nuclearboy(m): 8:18pm On Sep 23, 2010
^^ Sorry Mummy: Was far yet here! Had some pressing business to attend to.

I referred to cause AND effect. For every effect we see in Nature, there exists a cause. Nothing starts by itself!

Aside that, nature itself provides us a balance in which I see design - its called the food chain and I would that Vescucci consider that its a cycle that if you removed man from, would approach perfection. Man, which is the "strange portion" of that chain is the only one allowed the capability to take something given to him and make of it another thing - thus possessing the capability to upturn "nature". That is the message given in the creation story - difference, the power to tend, to build up or tear down BUT within limits.

Allowed to run riot without control, I believe men would have destroyed everything as we know it but repeatedly, an unseen hand ensures that even with all that power, men end up unable to change the status quo. That I see as nature portraying God to us.
Re: The Problem With Dreams, Visions And Clairvoyance by vescucci(m): 10:41pm On Sep 23, 2010
Oh. I see what you mean, Nuke but I'm not sure it proves the existence of God. At least it doesn't constitute proof to me. What you're saying proves Gaya or Mother Nature or the order of things, yes, but not really who put those in place. In any case, I'm not an atheist but three years ago I wouldn't believe I'd disbelieve in the things I disbelieve in now.

I get your taking order, cause and effect, as reasons for God's existence. The reasons why I discount atheism is that matter seems to tend towards disorder and not cohesion let alone life. Life seems to have only one purpose which is continuity. Evolution points to the gradual and continuous process of the improvement of a species to live longer and better. The question is why and not how. Why should a bunch of molecules care if they exist together as an animal or separately as rocks and cloud. Every living thing has one thing in common: an absolute desire to remain alive and an equally absolute aversion to cessation of life. What is so special about life to a plant for instance? And I believe if evolution is to be wholly accepted, as far as life on land is concerned, plant life existed first before, obviously herbivores and consequently carnivores. The existence of Plankton makes the game different as far as sea life is concerned. Back to my reasons. Why should natural selection be concerned with improving the lots of every single living thing which makes no sense since the stalemate will stand. Predators will hunt better but prey will escape better too. The ratio of success remains about the same. Also why is it that living things do not only care about their own survival but have a vested and urgent need to ensure the continuity of their species? I believe in evolution. I just don't think it's spontaneous.
Re: The Problem With Dreams, Visions And Clairvoyance by DeepSight(m): 2:10pm On Sep 24, 2010
vescucci:

The reasons why I discount atheism is that matter seems to tend towards disorder and not cohesion let alone life. Life seems to have only one purpose which is continuity. Evolution points to the gradual and continuous process of the improvement of a species to live longer and better.

Professor Vesc!

The bolded words - reading that was better than s.ex!

Sometimes we just need a good ol' prof like your eminent self with your gift of clear and lucid communication to come along and set out clearly that which plebians like myself struggle with. I entirely agree with those words -

- - -Indeed a while back I opened a thread titled "Evolution proves creation" - and what you have expressed is exactly what I was trying to set out therein - but the thread never got off the ground. I abandoned it after a few posts, although I recall viaro vehemently disagreed.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-393099.0.html
Re: The Problem With Dreams, Visions And Clairvoyance by vescucci(m): 3:11pm On Sep 24, 2010
Lol. I'm afraid you only think me eminently something something because you are in sync with me. It has nothing to do with Vescucci really. It's just the same way people who simply read different stuff seem far out. I'll go check out your thread then.

BTW, if you don't mind me saying, you oughta spice up your sex life. Try new things.
Re: The Problem With Dreams, Visions And Clairvoyance by DeepSight(m): 4:01pm On Sep 24, 2010
vescucci:

BTW, if you don't mind me saying, you oughta spice up your sex life. Try new things.

Lol; believe me i rather need to slow down on the crazee stuff.
Re: The Problem With Dreams, Visions And Clairvoyance by MyJoe: 12:53pm On Sep 27, 2010
Mad_Max:

Why shouldn't you be a guru? A Yogi. Don't you want to? That's the point, isn't it? From what you say, Yoga seems to demand awesome self-discipline, though. Not everyone has that. I certainly don't. Honestly, it sounds fantastically interesting.

Not necessarily. There are people who do just the physical stuff. I could do stages 1-4 before having to make up my mind whether I want to take on 5-8, the real mystical stuff. I am sufficiently motivated but a lot else is needed.

Yoga is fascinating. But it’s much more. I think it’s also special. It does not make specific promises beyond “communion with God”, but different people report different results at various stages of practice. People are cured of “incurable” illnesses. Some start experiencing OBEs and other “supernatural” phenomena naturally.

This non-linear reincarnation sounds interesting. But all the circumstantial evidence one has supports earthly rebirth. I guess I will treat it as one of the beliefs out there, for now, and keep an open mind on it.

Deep Sight:

Lol; believe me i rather need to slow down on the crazee stuff.
Em, the great philosopher wasn't talking about quantity, Deep Sight!  smiley
Re: The Problem With Dreams, Visions And Clairvoyance by DeepSight(m): 1:46pm On Sep 27, 2010
MyJoe:

Em, the great philosopher wasn't talking about quantity, Deep Sight!

yep, that's why i said -

Deep Sight:

Lol; believe me i rather need to slow down on the [b][size=16pt]crazee[/size] [/b]stuff.

Believe me!
Re: The Problem With Dreams, Visions And Clairvoyance by vescucci(m): 7:34pm On Sep 27, 2010
I believe you.
Re: The Problem With Dreams, Visions And Clairvoyance by MadMax1(f): 1:20pm On Oct 04, 2010
MyJoe:

Not necessarily. There are people who do just the physical stuff. I could do stages 1-4 before having to make up my mind whether I want to take on 5-8, the real mystical stuff. I am sufficiently motivated but a lot else is needed.

Yoga is fascinating. But it’s much more. I think it’s also special. It does not make specific promises beyond “communion with God”, but different people report different results at various stages of practice. People are cured of “incurable” illnesses. Some start experiencing OBEs and other “supernatural” phenomena naturally.

This non-linear reincarnation sounds interesting. But all the circumstantial evidence one has supports earthly rebirth. I guess I will treat it as one of the beliefs out there, for now, and keep an open mind on it.
Em, the great philosopher wasn't talking about quantity, Deep Sight!  smiley

Your belief system teaches automatic earthly rebirths. I sort of took it as a given that it's what you must subscribe to. We meant different things by reincarnation. I knew what you meant. I was clarifying what I meant. There is discussion. There is no intent to convert or convince. It would be lovely to look through the evidence for automatic earthly rebirths though.

I didn't give my actual sources, merely the one that got me started on the search in the first place (that the church suppressed the doctrine and removed it from canonical texts.) Letters exchanged by church fathers can hardly give rise to a detailed doctrine. The real source of the information I accept beyond doubt, but cannot, or will not, mention it.

Buddhism acknowledges there may be other possibilities than earthly rebirth, citing seven realms one may be born into, from rocks and animals to 'demi-gods'. No religion has absolute truth,be it Christianity,Islam, Buddhism or, lol,Yoga. No group and no individual has it either.

A return here after death is a possibility, nothing more, and it meant something went wrong while that person was here. Because a return here is retrogression. Belief in reincarnation exists in diverse forms in most cultures, and many incorporate them into the community religion. We have 'abikus' and 'ogbanjes' in our culture.Endless, automatic cycles of earthly rebirths come from Hinduism, from which Buddhism and Yoga are offshoots of a sort. Hinduism says that the universe goes into cycles of being; it lives, dies, and lives again, over and over and over, in an unceasing continuum. It will never end this cycle, but will do this forever. All things in the universe reflect that cycle, and so human beings too live,die, and are reincarnated human over and over again; they too mirror the cycle of the universe. But here is the thing: thousands of years ago it was unimaginable that other worlds existed, or other beings existed as dual-natured beings. It took the 20th century, and a peek into space and its expanse, for us to begin to see that. Even now, in the 21st century, you still come across religious sects where you are told God created the entire universe only for man, and that we are the only living planet in it. This drivel is taken as 'proof' of 'God's love for man'. There was an nthropomorphic view of man's existence back then too, thousands of years ago, in which it was just us, and there was just this world in all existence. There was this world, and after it there was heaven or nirvana. It was a perfectly natural view. Even now we can't imagine what other living planets and biological beings in other places might look like.

Though physicists disagree on figures and some other variables, they are mostly agreed that there is other intelligent life in the universe. By their most pessimistic calculations, intelligent worlds numbered in the millions. But the distances involved are so large, humans have no numbers for it. We certainly can't travel it. So we search the skies with radio waves,and sent an automated craft into the unknown, bearing, among other things, music from different cultures and sounds of people and animals, as well as 'hello' in dozens of languages, and other things NASA thought an alien civilisation might want to know about us. That was dispatched decades ago. What will become of it, if it will be spotted and received by another civilisation as intended, is beyond our present knowledge. That there is intelligent countless inhabited worlds in this universe I knew, not from the guesses of physicists, but from religion. Religion has many flaws, but in many ways, it is light years ahead of science. Even some common folktales predated science, which were derided until the facts later bore them out. There had been folktales about the moon and its effects for centuries, before science later corroborated and explained some of it, having to do with lunar gravitational pull on the earth. The Tibetan Book of the Dead is centuries old, the ideas in it came about at a time where there was no modern medicine to resuscitate people from the dead, and it describes what people see when they die. The initial accounts in it tally with what modern NDEs and ADEs and the resuscitated experience now. Yet the book was written to guide people who are DEAD, and for whom there is no return.

An atheist MIT professor wrote an influential pulitzer-shortlisted book on the computational theory of mind. He says 'We should not be surprised if impressive new cognitive abilities are discovered in humans.' But religion has been doing that since time immemorial; from lamas and yogis to some Christians and Moslems to ancient martial arts masters, anyone who toed the spiritual inevitably found himself with 'impressive new cognitive abilities'. It's been happening for eons and science only now begins to recognize the possibility. That there are other universes, some in other dimensions, I also knew from religion. I merely check science now and then to see how well it's coming along. That's why people who claim there's no God from 'science' are a real hoot. Understandable, but a hoot nevertheless. When it comes to the spiritual, science is far behind. There are people who do not wait till death to discover they're spirit beings; they can separate their spirit from their bodies and experience the bizarreness of bi-location; simultaneous dual consciousness of the spirit on one hand and their living bodies on the other. Science doesn't fully understand consciousness yet, much less acknowledge we have a body and a spirit, much less develop the technology to discern spirit bodies. Science is hopelessly behind in spiritual things and is not at all qualified to determine religious belief.

But we make assumptions about the world, and we factor those assumptions into our thinking. We assumed, in the past, that rain had mystical connotations and we sought to propitiate it. The sun as well, and the moon. We assumed, in antiquity, that this world is all there is, and knew nothing of the universe. There were ideas about it, but we had nothing back then to really know it with. The assumption was we were the only thing that moved. And yet there was the wind of the divine that people glimpsed imperfectly, and saw that human beings were on a journey, and that learning is the core and unity with God the sole purpose of our existence, and that a single lifetime is not enough for beings who had no idea they were learning and changing, each time they made a choice. So if this earth was all there was, there could be only one place where reincarnation took place: earth. Hence the cycle of earthly rebirths. These are ideas hatched thousands of years ago, and still extant.

But earth is not the only thing God made, the only place life is, the only world there is. And the story of our existence is more complicated than that. There are infinite physical worlds and infinite universes, but there are also non-physical realms of existence comprised of stuff we can't imagine. I'm not rehashing something I read somewhere, and so might have trouble conveying this well. The closest analogy I can describe it with is a group of people who want to get a PhD. You have to start from nursery school, through primary school, secondary school and then on to college, then a graduate degree, then the advaced graduate degree - the PhD. Let's say this world is primary 3. You have to pass through primary 3 to get to primary 4. Without the foundation of primary 3, you cannot understand or function in primary 4, and so on. It's a continuous thing, building on what you've learned in previous classes. Now people have different aptitudes. Even though everybody started at the same time, some have learned so fast, that they already have their Phd. Some are still stuck in primary 1. We, (earth) are primary 3. Now if you fall ill and cannot attend that class, you may get the opportunity to take that class again. You may select a different school, or you choose the same school, but you must take primary three.

Some people learn all they need to learn in a single term, and go to primary 4. Some take three terms, and still don't pass. These may get demoted, and go to primary 2 to relearn the foundation for 3. So age and duration of stay is irrelevant. A man may live 70 years before he learns what another may have learned at the age of 19. When you're done learning, at whatever age, you leave the class and are promoted.If you fail that class, you may take the class again there or elsewhere. If you fail woefully you get demoted. If you pass you move ahead, but we do not take that class over and over again until we become 'perfect'. We may not remember the details of every lesson, but we take all we have learned with us when we leave primary 3, and no progress and lesson is ever lost. We merely go elsewhere, and continue from where we have left off.

To say we are born over and over here is to say we repeat the class over and over. The thing is, there is a limited amount of things we can learn here. No number of repeating the class will increase that limit. At best, you master primary 3 so completely that you're like some kind of primary 3 wizard or guru, and your classmates come to you for tips. But that's it. Success means leaving this place and never returning. Failure means repeating the class or getting demoted. It is not a desirable outcome. If we return here, something has gone wrong. Death as a baby or child. To have an adult return happens but it's not common, and it is retrogression. The goal is to keep moving on, and this world prepares us for something better (Primary four, or even, for some fast learners, a jump to secondary school). We take all we have learnt and become here with us. It is never lost.But this is not something we do again.
Re: The Problem With Dreams, Visions And Clairvoyance by MadMax1(f): 1:34pm On Oct 04, 2010
Notice how, as we grow older, we get wiser from our experiences. We can't help it. We see things differently, and accumulate wisdom and lessons learned from life. Each experience teaches you something, and makes you into a particular kind of person, naturally; no faking. Everything you learn is in your spirit, because you are a spirit being. When we die we lose nothing that we have gained here. It goes with us. We continue from where we left off. We don't take the class again. I think it's absurd to imagine we get wiser as we grow older, and die old and wise, so that we can take all that wisdom to the grave and to oblivion. It doesn't even make evolutionary sense. No. It's preparation for a higher state of being, and the higher you go, the more different you get, so that the spirit being you are during your Masters class is not what you were in primary
3. You grow in knowledge, in wisdom, in beauty, in power. By the time you have your PhD, you will have attained the nature of Christ, and you join God and others who are done learning, and work with God. You retain your individuality but you want what God wants and love all of creation as He/IT/She does, naturally and truly, of your own free will. That is the result and the end of all the learning and the classes you've been taking; it is all to achieve that result. You can do a million things with the power you have, including helping your fellows who are still stuck in primary 3. Having finished your Phd you are a stunningly powerful spirit being, full of the power and the perfect love of God, something impossible to describe. If you appear to your old classmates who are still in Primary 3, they will not recognize you. They will think you are God and try to worship you.

But you are not God. Re-uniting with God is the sole purpose of existence, and Love and compassion is the process that takes us there, and how we pass this class. We do not come here over and over and then become perfect in primary 3 and get a PhD. It's an imprecise analogy but I really don't know what else to use; it's so complicated, and there are so many factors and involved.

There are 'short-cuts' apparently. Christ can furnish that, but only if you let Him. You can make huge leaps in progress with Him, he helps you become more like Him. Buddhism has its own advocated short path as well.

Yesterday I read about a devout American fundamentalist Christian woman who died, I think during childbirth, and whose spirit left its prison of flesh. She expected to go straight to God. It didn't happen. They succeeded in reviving her body so of course she had to return. After that, she wondered, in her own words, 'Why God did not see it fit to take me to heaven.' It didn't happen as she had supposed. She didn't understand what had happened, and probably never will till she dies. In one NDE back there I posted one on Rev Kenneth Hagin, who was dying and was a Southern Baptist Christian. It doesn't get more hardcore than Southern Baptist. Because he was dying his spirit kept leaving his body. Each time, he wasn't taken to God. He was dragged down somewhere. He obviously thought there must have been some kind of mistake, because he shouted, "I'm a Southern Baptist Christian!" He shouted that, and nothing happened. No effect whatsoever. That was why I included that NDE. It was revealing.

But people do fail this class. Some fail woefully. They do not progress towards God, but are separated, because your spirit has stored the lessons you've learned here, good or bad, and all the chocies you've made. And separation from God is hell. Maybe you think there is no hell because you think there's a cycle of earthly rebirths. But it's a mistake to imagine almost every religion mentions it for no reason. But like the glimpses of all things divine, we distort it. We can't help it. There is a hell. But there is no such thing as an 'eternity of hellfire.' Hell is when you fail this class and go back to primary 1, or farther. And even there, learning is going on, so that you can leave. But it is not pleasant and for some, it will be so horrendous that all learning is beyond them, all hints and pleas and suggestions. They will never learn. They are merely suffering horribly. To end their suffering their spirit is annihilated, because they will never learn and they want that annihilation so the suffering can end. They choose to cease to exist forevermore. Others suffer, learn and leave. No outcome is predictable; it depends on that spirit and is between that person and God.It's nothing to do with 'punishment.' It's only that some prefer to learn the hard way, and that is the method they themselves have chosen; it is our choice. Everything is.

Eternity is not an infinite number of years. Time only exists here, and even here, it's relative and behaves funny, and can be manipulated. In Physics, time travel to the past is reckoned an impossibility. Time travel to the future is a definite possibility. They know it can be done. They know how. They can make it happen. It's only a matter of time. When a thing travels at close to the speed of light, time gives way. So that if a man travels at close to the speed of light for five years in any direction in space, even if it's just going in circles somewhere, and takes another five years to return to earth; ten years will have passed in total in his ship. He will have aged ten years. When he returns to earth, two hundred and fifty thousand years would have passed. Time is not an absolute, but merely relative. Eternity, outside the physical universe, is NOT time going on and on and on without end; Eternity is the complete ABSENCE of time.

There is karma and karmic debt; and it is a factor in what happens on the journey. Every choice has consequences, in this life and the next. Everything must be balanced, all debts must be paid. But those things aren't new. Karmic debt is 'sin' in Christianity. Karma is 'sowing and reaping'. They describe precisely the same things. There is Karmic debt. But at the same time, there is the forgiveness of God. It's available to those who ask, and Christ described how to get in the gospels. He described how karmic debt can be paid or balanced in one parable and how it can be rued ( parable of the king who forgave a debtor a huge debt. The debtor then went to throw someone who owed him a paltry sum in prison. The king was angry and demanded the cruel man pay all he owed himself. ) There is a relationship

between forgiving others (your debtors) and being forgiven the incalculable karmic debt you owe. Sowing and reaping, or karma, is wired into the very fabric of existence. We reap what we sow. All debt must be paid. It is inescapable.

I read of a woman who died and went to Christ. And she felt she hadn't used her life well, that she'd made too many mistakes. She was told she could come back here if she wanted. But there was a clause: she would return here as a baby, be born somewhere, and start the whole thing all over again, with the same choices presented to her again. Also, she would have no memory of the conversation they were having. She thought about it, and said she didn't want rebirth. Somehow she recognised it as retrogression, going back and doing it all over again. What guarantees were there that she would make different choices the second time? None. She opted to continue from where she was, and try her best. It was granted. She was revived and she continued with her life. And she remembered that conversation.

There was a case of a man, an American. He wasn't religious. He was a widower with a one teenage son. The boy was attacked by an assailant, and murdered. After the funeral, all the boy's father wanted to do was kill the man who had murdered his son. Any parent would feel the same. He planned the crime;taking his revenge was all he thought about. One night, he woke up and found his son by his bed. The boy was wearing blue jeans. He knew it was his son, and could tell the boy wasn't comprised of flesh, yet was real. The boy and he had a talk, and the boy begged his father not to kill the murderer. And that his obsession with revenge and his unhappiness was causing him (the boy) a great deal of distress. The man agreed to drop the murder plan. He asked how come the boy could be here, and how things worked over there. The boy said, "I'm just a rookie there, Dad." The man asked after the boy's mother, and he said she was fine. He told the boy to tell his mother he was sorry he'd forgotten her, and the boy said she understood. They talked and then the boy was gone. Of course some would say he dreamt or imagined it, the boy didn't return in his pure spirit form to talk his father out of murder. But the man knew it was real, and only he can be the judge of that. And he did stop planning to kill the boy's murderer. That was a young man, terminated in his teens. Yet there was no automatic rebirth to re-do the whole thing here, or automatic rebirth for its own sake, as part of a cycle. The story doesn't constitute any kind of evidence for me; but since it's true it was worth a mention. I'll look for a link to the story and if found, will post it.

It is precisely because of what each person is really doing here, that murder is prohibited by God in so many religions. When the rich young man asked Christ the way of salvation in Matthews 19, 'Commit no murder ' was the very first thing Christ said. There is no taking this class again, unless under special circumstances. We do this just once. You get demoted or promoted, and it has little to do with professed religious beliefs, but everything to do with what you learn here. You take it with you when you go: love and compassion, or hatred, selfishness,cruelty. Christ gave the way of salvation in all his teachings. It had nothing to do with verbal formulas or a particular religion being the 'real' religion; and others false. People who choose to bear his name should at least read what HE says on the subject. Say a verbal formula if it makes you feel better, but if His way isn't followed, that formula and all our mantra of 'saved by blood' avails one nothing. Love and compassion is his way, and He explained it clearly. We decide our fate here and in eternity, and we do it day by day, in the little things and the big things.

You might collect clinical death cases verified by a hospital or doctor, across all cultures. They're revealing if one doesn't collect only things that corroborate what one already thinks. A lot of organisations do that. There was one telling people there is no accountability after death, do what you like, it's all light and love when you die. Yet a great many after death experiences were overwhelmingly negative. Some were real horror shows, a foretaste of where they would remain if they hadn't been revived. You can do it for a lark if you want, and see if a picture emerges. But beliefs about reincarnation don't matter; whether it's continous cyles of earthly rebirths or something else or no reincarnation at all. It's the choices we make and what we do to other people that count.

Oddly enough I've found in most religions that the holy books tend to contain the banal and the superficial; the deepest and highest teaching in any religion is never found in the holy books, or written down anywhere; it's always orally transmitted to a few. Jesus may have chosen the 12 for that purpose. But they're the only ones who knew what they were taught. The rest of us were not there and can only guess. It is so in other religions as well. They have 'levels' of knowledge, which is earned. I've been taking a look at teachings in Raja and Gnani yoga and the principles of Yoga itself. It's very, very interesting, but they're human interpretations of the divine, like other religious systems. There was a fascinating passage describing the animal passions inherited from out ancestors, how they come to the fore, and it was mentioned there are the minds of animals, savages and the civilised mind. Guess who the 'savages' are? In that passage, all human minds were not deemed equal, but different among races. The book's title is Lessons in Raja Yoga. All religions are human systems, beautiful yes, but flawed too. No single one has all truth. Will read more on Yoga. It's not something that can be 'rushed'.
Re: The Problem With Dreams, Visions And Clairvoyance by nuclearboy(m): 3:10pm On Oct 04, 2010
^^^ & ^^^^ Very interesting. Perfect explanation for a phenomena I've had all my adult life.

Whenever I rebel, get too angry, go "crazy", I get these dreams where I'm back in the university and at times, even in high school and just failed an exam or am about to take one and know I'm not prepared. I have met just the one person who also has the same experiences. Regretably, we're no longer in touch though she remains one of the people I've respected most in my life.

Deep lessons there. Where do you get these stuff, Mad_Max? kiss
Re: The Problem With Dreams, Visions And Clairvoyance by vescucci(m): 10:41pm On Oct 04, 2010
Osanobua e!
Re: The Problem With Dreams, Visions And Clairvoyance by obi1o1: 8:20am On Oct 05, 2010
Nairaland nawa.I was just thinking the Grail message adherents were piecing everything together(wanted to get there book),now Mad Max has spin everything Inside out & Upside down.I really appreciate how everybody has elaborated on this topic,you all made my day splendid.Everything is so complicated,still everybody bring plausible explanations(esp Mad Max).Now i know we will never know until we leave this earth,so am sticking to my bible.All the miracles,blessings & personal relationship with Christ is enough.Just wanted to know more but i guess nobody knows,& i ain't failing or repeating no class either. smiley
Re: The Problem With Dreams, Visions And Clairvoyance by MadMax1(f): 2:32pm On Oct 05, 2010
nuclearboy:

Whenever I rebel, get too angry, go "crazy", I get these dreams where I'm back in the university and at times, even in high school and just failed an exam or am about to take one and know I'm not prepared. I have met just the one person who also has the same experiences. Regretably, we're no longer in touch though she remains one of the people I've respected most in my life.

Every single time? That's strange. What's happening there? Any theories?

obi1o1:

Nairaland nawa.I was just thinking the Grail message adherents were piecing everything together(wanted to get there book),now Mad Max has spin everything Inside out & Upside down.I really appreciate how everybody has elaborated on this topic,you all made my day splendid.Everything is so complicated,still everybody bring plausible explanations(esp Mad Max).Now i know we will never know until we leave this earth,so am sticking to my bible.All the miracles,blessings & personal relationship with Christ is enough.Just wanted to know more but i guess nobody knows,& i ain't failing or repeating no class either. smiley

The bolded is making me laugh so hard right now. A genuine personal relationship with Christ is enough. He knows. Verses in the bible mention the 'inner man', the 'hidden man of the heart.' It stops being coy and declares at a point: 'There is a physical body and there is a spiritual body.' I guess our dual nature is Religion 101.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

It Is Not By Force To Give Offerings And Tithe / Tayo Demola Blasts Father Mbaka Over His Embarrassment Of Peter Obi / Blessing Utanung Pictured Praying For Ohworode of Olomu kingdom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 266
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.