Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,300 members, 7,822,489 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 11:48 AM

Black Panther: 400-year-old Nigerian Language Inspired Wakanda’s Language. - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Black Panther: 400-year-old Nigerian Language Inspired Wakanda’s Language. (1050 Views)

Black Panther: 'Wakanda Forever’ Trailer (Video) / Download Movie Black Panther: Wakanda Forever 2022 / Do You Remember This Old Nigerian Advert? (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Black Panther: 400-year-old Nigerian Language Inspired Wakanda’s Language. by tafat: 10:38pm On Feb 26, 2018
Do you know that Hannah Beachler, Black Panther’s production designer, says a 400-year-old Nigerian language was one of the two languages that inspired Wakanda’s language.?

Recently, I saw a post by Tecno mobile asking if viewers would love watching the new thrilling movie, Black Panther in the cinemas or on the full display of the new camon CM, and I realized that whether you prefer it on a smartphone in your comfort zone or in the cinemas, so many facts about the movie are unknown to many.

Nsibidi, a language formerly used in parts of Cross River, was used repeatedly through the course of the movie as the language of the fictional Wakanda kingdom (Wakanda is a fictional country and was used as location in some parts of the movie, Black Panther).
In an interview with Indie Wire, Beachler said the remnants of Nsibidi were combined with Roman numerals to create an advanced Nsibidi script.

“Using lines and dots, Nsibidi was expanded with an array of symbols, initially inspired by Chinese, Arabic, and Dogon and Murci of Africa,” she said.

“It was a secretive language, based on pictography, so it was about how you put the symbols together and the image you create.

“The language needed to evolve from the older hieroglyphs into a more modern version. We used it in a pictograph way but the numerical system stayed the same.”

In the throne room, where T’Challa, played by Chadwick Boseman, sat traditional Nsibidi symbols inscribed on a large column were visible, with smaller columns containing the more modern version of the language denoting the various names of the tribes in the movie.

“Ryan wanted a newer script that felt African but was really advanced,” Bleacher said, explaining how she discovered the language.

“I started looking at different cave drawings, we looked at LA graffiti artist Retna and were inspired by his being able to create these characters that were fresh, and started playing and playing. I did three or four passes and so did a couple of the illustrators. We mixed them, bringing our own aesthetic to it and made an entire alphabet.”

The process of bringing Nsibidi to life took Beachler and Coogler six months.

The movie has grossed over $700 million worldwide as at Sunday.

Source :
https://lifestyle.thecable.ng/black-panther-400-year-old-nigerian-language-inspired-wakanda-language/

Re: Black Panther: 400-year-old Nigerian Language Inspired Wakanda’s Language. by sureinfo: 11:02pm On Feb 26, 2018
Wow, this is super cool. A block buster movie like that getting its language origin from Nigeria, that's great
Re: Black Panther: 400-year-old Nigerian Language Inspired Wakanda’s Language. by GloriaNinja(f): 11:11pm On Feb 26, 2018
THIS MOVIE SEEMS TO BE OVER-RATED
Re: Black Panther: 400-year-old Nigerian Language Inspired Wakanda’s Language. by Dandsome: 11:15pm On Feb 26, 2018
GloriaNinja:

Yes it's easier to say it's overrated until you see the movie then you'll have a rethink.

Op can the battery strength of the Camon CM last for one to watch this movie from start to finish twice?

Meanwhile, lalasticlala come and see the real age of black panther actors

Re: Black Panther: 400-year-old Nigerian Language Inspired Wakanda’s Language. by Creg7: 8:51am On Feb 27, 2018
Let's not call it overrated..... The movie is actually cool
GloriaNinja:
Re: Black Panther: 400-year-old Nigerian Language Inspired Wakanda’s Language. by chicwoman(f): 9:20am On Feb 27, 2018
The movie was amazeballs!

I even want to get it on my spark phone to watch on my way home during traffic.
Re: Black Panther: 400-year-old Nigerian Language Inspired Wakanda’s Language. by Ennyholar: 9:59am On Feb 27, 2018
Yet to see the movie...but the hype is massive
Re: Black Panther: 400-year-old Nigerian Language Inspired Wakanda’s Language. by Rubiesangel: 11:13am On Feb 27, 2018
What a rich and diverse culture we have. Yet to see the movie though.
Re: Black Panther: 400-year-old Nigerian Language Inspired Wakanda’s Language. by bravesoul247(m): 6:36pm On Feb 27, 2018
Very inspiring post. I'm happy our culture is recognized but its too bad we don't recognize it. Waiting to watch this movie on FHD like in the TECNO Camon CM, as I no get money for cinema
Re: Black Panther: 400-year-old Nigerian Language Inspired Wakanda’s Language. by bravesoul247(m): 6:38pm On Feb 27, 2018
GloriaNinja:
I'm not sure you've seen it. I think its nice
Re: Black Panther: 400-year-old Nigerian Language Inspired Wakanda’s Language. by bravesoul247(m): 6:39pm On Feb 27, 2018
chicwoman:
The movie was amazeballs!

I even want to get it on my spark phone to watch on my way home during traffic.
I wish I could get the movie from you. Mine would be in the Camon CM
Re: Black Panther: 400-year-old Nigerian Language Inspired Wakanda’s Language. by Afobear: 2:48pm On Feb 28, 2018
sureinfo:
Wow, this is super cool. A block buster movie like that getting its language origin from Nigeria, that's great
Mumu
Re: Black Panther: 400-year-old Nigerian Language Inspired Wakanda’s Language. by chicwoman(f): 3:53pm On Feb 28, 2018
Oh okay
I'd PM you my number wink
bravesoul247:
I wish I could get the movie from you. Mine would be in the Camon CM
Re: Black Panther: 400-year-old Nigerian Language Inspired Wakanda’s Language. by scarycuteface(m): 8:51pm On Feb 28, 2018
Lovely movie. Worth every hype.

(1) (Reply)

Chase: First Sci-fi Film In Northern Nigeria Created By Nigerian Teens / How To Clear All Gotv And Dstv Error Codes With Short Codes Latest / Classic Movies : "Must Own" (what's your list)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.