Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,593 members, 7,809,152 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:31 AM

Desmond Ovbiagele: 'The Milkmaid' Inspired By Fulani Milkmaids On ₦10 Naira Note - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Desmond Ovbiagele: 'The Milkmaid' Inspired By Fulani Milkmaids On ₦10 Naira Note (27005 Views)

Nigeria Submits ‘The Milkmaid’ For Oscars 2021 Nomination / Money Heist: N100 Naira Note In A Netflix Movie Montage / Desmond Elliot And DJ Cuppy Star In Animation Movie Titled The Secret Princess (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Desmond Ovbiagele: 'The Milkmaid' Inspired By Fulani Milkmaids On ₦10 Naira Note by lalasticlala(m): 9:54am On Feb 09, 2021
Nigerian filmmaker, Desmond Ovbiagele, has revealed the inspiration behind his movie, The Milkmaid, which is a contender for the upcoming 2021 Oscars International Films Category.

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Science will announce its nominations for the Academy Awards on March 15 in Los Angeles.

The Milkmaid tells the story of two sisters abducted from their village during the insurgency in Northeast Nigeria.

Nigeria submitted it as its entry for international feature consideration at the upcoming Academy Awards.

Mr. Ovbiagele said the movie was inspired by the two iconic figures at the N10 note’s back.

“The screenplay was inspired by the two iconic figures at the back of the 10 Naira note; those are the Fulani milkmaids who were carrying their calabashes.

“So I sought to imagine what would happen if the two characters were caught up in an insurgency situation. How would their lives play out and how would they adjust to the new way of life that would be imposed on them.

“In the process, we did extensive research on the world that these characters were living in and then tried to arrive at a narrative that was authentic to all the operators in that setting,” he said.

On the choice of language used in the movie, Mr. Ovbiagele said, “One could have chosen the easier decision to shoot the film in the English language. But because we were striving for authenticity, we didn’t think it would be authentic enough for people in that rural area to speak Queens English.

“What they would normally speak would be Hausa, and the Fulanis would speak Fulfude. This is how we arrived at the language used in the film.”

The former investment banker-turned-movie producer said he was overwhelmed by the movie’s nomination for the Oscars, adding that it was an accolade to reward the cast and crew’s efforts.

He noted, “My feelings were that of overwhelming, gratitude. Obviously, I was grateful that our film was selected out of a number of other high-quality films to represent Nigeria at the 93rd Oscars.”
NAN

https://gazettengr.com/nigerian-filmmaker-reveals-inspiration-behind-oscars-contending-movie-milkmaid/

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Desmond Ovbiagele: 'The Milkmaid' Inspired By Fulani Milkmaids On ₦10 Naira Note by Nobody: 9:57am On Feb 09, 2021
Arrrrrrrh

I need to watch this film.. "Omo ghetto" didn't make the nomination. I need to watch it and see how the actors speak hausa. grin

Kudos, I remember Sons of the caliphate that year, sha I didn't watch it all.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Desmond Ovbiagele: 'The Milkmaid' Inspired By Fulani Milkmaids On ₦10 Naira Note by Ottyn01(m): 10:03am On Feb 09, 2021
Who else think "Omo Ghetto" deserved this nomination instead shocked

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Desmond Ovbiagele: 'The Milkmaid' Inspired By Fulani Milkmaids On ₦10 Naira Note by DenreleDave(m): 10:05am On Feb 09, 2021
grin grin grin
Re: Desmond Ovbiagele: 'The Milkmaid' Inspired By Fulani Milkmaids On ₦10 Naira Note by MANNABBQGRILLS: 10:07am On Feb 09, 2021
Shot on location in Taraba State, North-East Nigeria, it stars popular northern Nigerian actress, Maryam Booth, alongside Ibrahim Jammal, Anthonieta Kalunta, and Gambo Usman Kona. It was also nominated for the 2020 Africa Movie Academy Awards, earning eight nominations.
Our Darling Country to the world.
NIGERIA to the world.
Let us bring home the OSCARS guys.

Unlike Genevieve Nnaji’s Lionheart which unfortunately the Academy disqualified from the international feature film category last year for having English as the main language of the script,.
The Milkmaid fulfils the requirement for a predominantly non-English dialogue track. It conveys authenticity with Hausa, Fulfulde and Arabic, three languages hermetically spoken throughout the film.

The film follows the story of two sisters, Aisha (Anthonieta Kalunta) and Zainab (Maryam Booth), who get separated when insurgents attack their village. Aisha is determined to rescue Zainab from her captors and traces her whereabouts to an enemy camp, where she is enslaved and treated inhumanely

Can the Milkmaid win Nigeria’s first Oscar?
Yes is the answer!!

God bless Nigeria.

14 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Desmond Ovbiagele: 'The Milkmaid' Inspired By Fulani Milkmaids On ₦10 Naira Note by MANNABBQGRILLS: 10:15am On Feb 09, 2021
gaius01:
Arrrrrrrh
I hope it won't be like Genevieve's Lion Heart? I pray they scale through !!!
To clear doubt, I hardly watch Nigeria movies I don't know why?
Unfortunately, LIONHEART was disqualified for language reasons.
But a good movie it was!

gaius01:
Yeah that's true though.
Yeah.

Jerryherd:
Milkmaids now trades hard drugs in 2021 not fura de nunu
If una never type rubbish una body go dey do una one kind sha.
Pathetic! tongue

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Desmond Ovbiagele: 'The Milkmaid' Inspired By Fulani Milkmaids On ₦10 Naira Note by Chummynoni(m): 10:19am On Feb 09, 2021
Ok
Re: Desmond Ovbiagele: 'The Milkmaid' Inspired By Fulani Milkmaids On ₦10 Naira Note by DoubleEngine007: 10:19am On Feb 09, 2021
As long as say herdsmen no dey inside,no wahala

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Desmond Ovbiagele: 'The Milkmaid' Inspired By Fulani Milkmaids On ₦10 Naira Note by kenbee(f): 10:19am On Feb 09, 2021
When I was a kid, the major tribes/ethnic groups in Nigeria was Hausa, Igbo & Yoruba but now all I hear about is
Fulani herdsmen, Cows, Bokoharam, Bandits and Miyeti Allah

Anything with Fulani is not acceptable

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Desmond Ovbiagele: 'The Milkmaid' Inspired By Fulani Milkmaids On ₦10 Naira Note by MANNABBQGRILLS: 10:19am On Feb 09, 2021
Fahdiga:
Rubbish. anything that has Fulani theme is rejected worldwide
MsAllison:
I've seen the reason they nominated it against omo ghetto
everything Fulani na first

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Desmond Ovbiagele: 'The Milkmaid' Inspired By Fulani Milkmaids On ₦10 Naira Note by mrdharkchild(m): 10:19am On Feb 09, 2021
post=98893546:

Our Darling Country to the world.
NIGERIA to the world.
Let us bring home the OSCARS guys.

Unlike Genevieve Nnaji’s Lionheart which unfortunately the Academy disqualified from the international feature film category last year for having English as the main language of the script,.
The Milkmaid fulfils the requirement for a predominantly non-English dialogue track. It conveys authenticity with Hausa, Fulfulde and Arabic, three languages hermetically spoken throughout the film.

The film follows the story of two sisters, Aisha (Anthonieta Kalunta) and Zainab (Maryam Booth), who get separated when insurgents attack their village. Aisha is determined to rescue Zainab from her captors and traces her whereabouts to an enemy camp, where she is enslaved and treated inhumanely

Can the Milkmaid win Nigeria’s first Oscar?
Yes is the answer!!

God bless Nigeria.

U must b a strong believer.
This trait could be lauded. But stop wasting it on this Jungle(Nigeria)

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Desmond Ovbiagele: 'The Milkmaid' Inspired By Fulani Milkmaids On ₦10 Naira Note by passyhansome(m): 10:20am On Feb 09, 2021
NIGERIA BELONGS TO GOD IN HEAVEN AND NOT FULANIS OR HAUSA, FATHER THROUGH JESUS CHRIST MAKE MANIFEST YOUR POWER ONCE AGAIN IN NIGERIA LET THE WORKS AND PLANS OF DEVIL THROUGH THEM BE NULLIFIED AND DESTROYED BY THE POWER OF THE HOLY GHOST AMEN

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Desmond Ovbiagele: 'The Milkmaid' Inspired By Fulani Milkmaids On ₦10 Naira Note by kenbee(f): 10:20am On Feb 09, 2021
DoubleEngine007:
As long as say herdsmen no dey inside,no wahala
Na herdswomen be that oh, Na their wives

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Desmond Ovbiagele: 'The Milkmaid' Inspired By Fulani Milkmaids On ₦10 Naira Note by SEGLIZ: 10:20am On Feb 09, 2021
Fahdiga:

are you so disgusted.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Desmond Ovbiagele: 'The Milkmaid' Inspired By Fulani Milkmaids On ₦10 Naira Note by DoubleEngine007: 10:20am On Feb 09, 2021
kenbee:

Na herdswomen be that oh, Na their wifes
grin

1 Like

Re: Desmond Ovbiagele: 'The Milkmaid' Inspired By Fulani Milkmaids On ₦10 Naira Note by pickatyouu: 10:21am On Feb 09, 2021
I should be inspired by boko haram, banditry, insecurities in the North East.

1 Like

Re: Desmond Ovbiagele: 'The Milkmaid' Inspired By Fulani Milkmaids On ₦10 Naira Note by YorubaPrince: 10:21am On Feb 09, 2021
angry
Re: Desmond Ovbiagele: 'The Milkmaid' Inspired By Fulani Milkmaids On ₦10 Naira Note by MsAllison(f): 10:21am On Feb 09, 2021
I've seen the reason they nominated it against omo ghetto

everything Fulani na first

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Desmond Ovbiagele: 'The Milkmaid' Inspired By Fulani Milkmaids On ₦10 Naira Note by MANNABBQGRILLS: 10:21am On Feb 09, 2021
mrdharkchild:

U must b a strong believer.
This trait could be lauded. But stop wasting it on this Jungle(Nigeria)
God bless Nigeria.
Milkmaids to the world.
Oscar coming to Naija.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Desmond Ovbiagele: 'The Milkmaid' Inspired By Fulani Milkmaids On ₦10 Naira Note by Jerryherd: 10:22am On Feb 09, 2021
cool

Milkmaids now trades hard drugs in 2021 not fura de nunu, their husbands are no longer Herdsmen with sticks and cattle but Kidnappers and bandits with brand new AK47, with unlimited ammunition

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Desmond Ovbiagele: 'The Milkmaid' Inspired By Fulani Milkmaids On ₦10 Naira Note by Nobody: 10:23am On Feb 09, 2021
Creativity
Re: Desmond Ovbiagele: 'The Milkmaid' Inspired By Fulani Milkmaids On ₦10 Naira Note by TalkTalkTwins(m): 10:23am On Feb 09, 2021
ok
Re: Desmond Ovbiagele: 'The Milkmaid' Inspired By Fulani Milkmaids On ₦10 Naira Note by Incognito403: 10:24am On Feb 09, 2021
Fahdiga:

Pained ipobian spotted.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Desmond Ovbiagele: 'The Milkmaid' Inspired By Fulani Milkmaids On ₦10 Naira Note by Akfrenzy(m): 10:24am On Feb 09, 2021
grin Oga you're inspired by the Overwhelming Terrorism in Nigeria caused by the Piss people

4 Likes

Re: Desmond Ovbiagele: 'The Milkmaid' Inspired By Fulani Milkmaids On ₦10 Naira Note by Seniorwriter(m): 10:24am On Feb 09, 2021
No good news recently on Fulani except for this....Applaudable but those miscreants Herdsmen will be meeting their waterloo in full measures as a pay(chase) per sight!!!

Many thanks to NL parents that have patronized the KIDDIES FANCY TRACKER

May the Underserved Protection of the Almighty continue in our lives as we use wisdom to protect our Loved ones
Amen
Proactivity Leads To Productivity
@SeniorWriter

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Pictures Of Ini Edo & Mike Godson On Set Of A Movie / Bbnaija: Desist From Wearing Teddy A’s Clothes – Bambam Warns Alex (video) / #bbnaija: "Nigerian Guys Are Broke" - Esther Tells Mike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.