Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,758 members, 7,809,923 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:15 PM

BMW Recalls 11,700 Diesel Cars After Installing Wrong Engine Software - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / BMW Recalls 11,700 Diesel Cars After Installing Wrong Engine Software (4817 Views)

Bosch Announces Breakthrough Technology That Could Save Diesel Cars / These Are The 4 Easy Ways To Distinguish Diesel Cars From Petrol Cars / Flash Back 2006:Mazda Destroyed 4,703 Brand New Cars After Cargo Ship Accident (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

BMW Recalls 11,700 Diesel Cars After Installing Wrong Engine Software by obafemee80(m): 11:08pm On Feb 26, 2018

German carmaker BMW on Friday recalls 11,700 cars to fix their engine management software after it discovered that the wrong programming had been installed on its luxury 5- and 7-Series models.

They said "In the course of internal tests, they discovered that a correctly developed software update was mistakenly assigned to certain unsuitable model-versions".

BMW issued the statement after a report suggested it had installed software that manipulated emissions of harmful gases such as nitrogen oxide, something its management has always denied.

Their competitor ,Volkswagen reached a multi-billion-dollar U.S. settlement after admitting installing so-called "defeat devices" on its diesel models designed to game emissions tests.

The Dieselgate" emissions scandal has forced VW to set aside 25.8 billion euros ($31.7 billion) to cover fines and related costs, of which it has paid out nearly 20 billion euros.

The models affected were 5- and 7-Series cars made between 2012 and 2017 containing high-performance diesel engines and three turbo chargers.

BMW said the offending software was mistakenly loaded into cars with a different system for removing harmful nitrogen oxides (NOx) from the exhaust than originally intended.

"Corrected software will be made available for these vehicles after approval by the relevant authorities".

Do you own the affected 5- and 7-series that was made between 2012 and 2017?

Source https://autojosh.com/bmw-recalls-11700-diesel-cars-installing-wrong-engine-software/

Cc Lalasticlala Mynd44

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: BMW Recalls 11,700 Diesel Cars After Installing Wrong Engine Software by Aldebaran(m): 6:15am On Feb 27, 2018
obafemee80:

They said "In the course of internal tests, they discovered that a correctly developed software update was mistakenly assigned to certain unsuitable model-versions".

Source https://autojosh.com/bmw-recalls-11700-diesel-cars-installing-wrong-engine-software/

Cc Lalasticlala Mynd44
How can a whole BMW use the word MISTAKENLY ASSIGNED

All Automakers are just recalling their cars

1 Like

Re: BMW Recalls 11,700 Diesel Cars After Installing Wrong Engine Software by Spartanville(m): 6:48am On Feb 27, 2018
This trend of automobile companies recalling wrongly assembled cars is getting too much.
Anyways it's my first ever 2nd to comment on NL this one is dedicated to all Mechanical engineering students on nairaland

3 Likes

Re: BMW Recalls 11,700 Diesel Cars After Installing Wrong Engine Software by SoftP(m): 6:49am On Feb 27, 2018
Killer machine"
Re: BMW Recalls 11,700 Diesel Cars After Installing Wrong Engine Software by cinoedhunter: 6:55am On Feb 27, 2018
Okokobioko .... shocked angry kiss
Re: BMW Recalls 11,700 Diesel Cars After Installing Wrong Engine Software by cooldipo(m): 6:56am On Feb 27, 2018
Dem get conscience grin grin

Abi law enforcement no be wahala for there
Re: BMW Recalls 11,700 Diesel Cars After Installing Wrong Engine Software by visijo(m): 6:57am On Feb 27, 2018
BMW on a suicide mission. Kwontinue
Re: BMW Recalls 11,700 Diesel Cars After Installing Wrong Engine Software by twinke209(m): 6:57am On Feb 27, 2018
What will be fate of those that have such cars in nigeria?
Re: BMW Recalls 11,700 Diesel Cars After Installing Wrong Engine Software by sweetgala(m): 7:00am On Feb 27, 2018
Aldebaran:

How can a whole BMW use the word MISTAKENLY ASSIGNED

All Automakers are just recalling their cars

They were all trying to game the system by installing cheat systems I was watching a documentary about VW some days ago and I'm certain both BMW and Merc used similar software that runs a different cycle when tested by EPA as opposed to when tested on the road the software looks for steering input.

VW did this too they tried to recall several vehicles to throw the EPA off
Re: BMW Recalls 11,700 Diesel Cars After Installing Wrong Engine Software by Aldebaran(m): 7:02am On Feb 27, 2018
sweetgala:

They were all trying to game the system by installing cheat systems I was watching a documentary about VW some days ago and I'm certain both BMW and Merc used similar software that runs a different cycle when tested by EPA as opposed to when tested on the road the software looks for steering input.

VW did this too they tried to recall several vehicles to throw the EPA off
O.K
Re: BMW Recalls 11,700 Diesel Cars After Installing Wrong Engine Software by maxiuc(m): 7:03am On Feb 27, 2018
grin
Re: BMW Recalls 11,700 Diesel Cars After Installing Wrong Engine Software by soberdrunk(m): 7:04am On Feb 27, 2018
"Engine software"?? Wow!! Seems like the days of "Oga on am, fire am!! Fire am!!! Oga nah injector be the problem" will soon be over. I cannot wait for the day i will buy a car with this type of new advanced/sophisticated engine so i will use it to intimidate my mechanic that is always feeling like Isaac Newton and always boasting of his 25 years experience, i will fall his hand!!!! angry

2 Likes

Re: BMW Recalls 11,700 Diesel Cars After Installing Wrong Engine Software by OlalekanMultiD(m): 8:01am On Feb 27, 2018
Thank God, I thought as much as my BMW de give me wahala all the time. Let's go there grin grin grin grin

Re: BMW Recalls 11,700 Diesel Cars After Installing Wrong Engine Software by bjayx: 8:24am On Feb 27, 2018
While startimes n dstv can't change ur old decoder without collecting money or telling U shiit to buy the new version. This country is a mess
Re: BMW Recalls 11,700 Diesel Cars After Installing Wrong Engine Software by EmmaLege: 9:26am On Feb 27, 2018
Gbege undecided
Re: BMW Recalls 11,700 Diesel Cars After Installing Wrong Engine Software by Liveair: 3:36pm On Feb 27, 2018
BMW recall! That's really Strange.
Well, since they've not been found wanting...no problem.
Next is Mercedes Benz.

(1) (Reply)

I Need Matured Advice, Am I Too Young Too Own A 7series??? / My Road Trip From Lagos To Owerri And Back. / Must A Nigerian Guy Have A Car Before A Lady Agrees To Go Out With Him?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.