Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,845 members, 7,817,495 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:11 PM

OPS Rejects Lagos Land Use Charge Law - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / OPS Rejects Lagos Land Use Charge Law (10962 Views)

See The Full Details Of Lagos State Govt. Reduction Of Land Use Charge / The N589.3M House In Omole As Valued By LASG For Land Use Charge / Land Use Charge Law Of 2018: Things You Need To Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

OPS Rejects Lagos Land Use Charge Law by ikorodureporta: 2:44pm On Feb 28, 2018
Vows to fight it with every legal means

By Victor Ahiuma-Young & Precious Nicholas

lagos—THE Organised Private Sector, OPS, yesterday rejected the newly passed Land Use Charge Law of Lagos State, 2018, vowing to fight the law with every legal means at its disposal.

While describing the law which repealed the Land Use Charge Law 2001 as insensitive to business and land owners, OPS speaking through the Nigeria Employers’ Consultative Association, NECA, argued that the new law would expect property owners in Lagos State to pay an increase of over 200 per cent in Land Use Charge even when the income of the property owner had not experienced significant increase to justify the charge.

Lagos State Government also extended the period for the payment of all annual Land Use Charge Demand Notices for 2018 to Saturday, 14th April, 2018. The extension is to enable property owners and affected occupiers take the option of enjoying the discounts available for the prompt and early payment of Land Use Charge invoices.

Speaking in Lagos, the Director-General of NECA, Mr. Olusegun Oshinowo while commending Governor Akinwunmi Ambode for his good works and making Lagos a model for good governance, he, however, contended that “sensitivity and humanness, which is part of good governance, is missing in the recent amendment of the Land Use Charge law in the state. The new law will expect property owners in Lagos State to pay an increase of over 200 per cent in Land Use Charge even when the income of the property owner has not experienced significant increase to justify the charge.

“There is, also, a penalty payment ranging between 125-200 percent, if payment is not made between April and August, 2018. The new charge is, thus, highly insensitive and inhumane to say the least. It is, therefore, unacceptable to organised businesses. The law is not acceptable and the Organised Private Sector (OPS) will not stand hand tied up to celebrate impunity and cheer disdain. It will fight this law by social resistance and any other legitimate means at its disposal.”

https://www.google.com.ng/amp/s/www.vanguardngr.com/2018/02/ops-rejects-lagos-land-use-charge-law/amp/

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: OPS Rejects Lagos Land Use Charge Law by Ayodejioak(m): 5:30pm On Feb 28, 2018
Awesome. Looks like the learned colleagues have done the right thing again

These are the set of people that will feel the backlash of these laws the most (the rich)

So would you expect them to agree to a law that lets them pay more and stress more?

On the other hand, the poor don't care cos they are busy arranging their rent for Mr Land lord (Last day of the month again)

So they cant even afford a their monthly rent not to talk of 1/8 plot of land.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: OPS Rejects Lagos Land Use Charge Law by Pojomojo: 5:30pm On Feb 28, 2018
The STATUS QUO of INCOMPETENCE must END.

RECYCLED Leadership who only long to OCCUPY & serve their cronies, not to function must be SACKED.

CITIZENS must make the DECISION come 2019.

Parties be on NOTICE �!

present ONLY candidates with

CHARACTER

COMPETENCE

CAPACITY

3 Likes

Re: OPS Rejects Lagos Land Use Charge Law by Flexherbal(m): 5:31pm On Feb 28, 2018
"The new law will expect property owners in Lagos State to pay an increase of over 200 per cent in Land Use Charge even when the income of the property owner has not experienced significant increase to justify the charge"

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: OPS Rejects Lagos Land Use Charge Law by datopaper(m): 5:31pm On Feb 28, 2018
Why! I don't believe This story.

Itesiwaju ipinle eko lojewa logun
Re: OPS Rejects Lagos Land Use Charge Law by Obinwenite(m): 5:31pm On Feb 28, 2018
That is is more like it,enough is enough.

2 Likes

Re: OPS Rejects Lagos Land Use Charge Law by DollarAngel(m): 5:33pm On Feb 28, 2018
Ambode should be a little bit sensitive to the present economy hardship and not dishing out laws whenever he feels like. Good intention Bad decision,

5 Likes

Re: OPS Rejects Lagos Land Use Charge Law by Nobody: 5:33pm On Feb 28, 2018
All the best.....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: OPS Rejects Lagos Land Use Charge Law by Jokerman(m): 5:34pm On Feb 28, 2018
As in.. too painful... Government in Nigeria always wants to collect, collect....

8 Likes

Re: OPS Rejects Lagos Land Use Charge Law by Flets: 5:36pm On Feb 28, 2018
State owned toll Gates only in Lagos
Extremely inhumane land use charge only in Lagos
Multiple taxation only in Lagos

Yet the so_called progressives continue to project the evil A PC and Tinubu as their Saviour. All they care is to line their pockets at the expense of the masses

10 Likes

Re: OPS Rejects Lagos Land Use Charge Law by Anyad231: 5:39pm On Feb 28, 2018
Ambode Wan clean out before 2019m.chai...m with d hardship and economic recession and killings ...baba still increase land use charge....not even by 10% ...200%....like d standard of living was increased also.lol..see people u voted in. How is this monkey thinking of the masses but not his and his godfather pocket.

4 Likes

Re: OPS Rejects Lagos Land Use Charge Law by Nobody: 5:41pm On Feb 28, 2018
Some people will soon come and say it is because of them.
Re: OPS Rejects Lagos Land Use Charge Law by mumumugu(m): 5:43pm On Feb 28, 2018
tax then and get money for election
Re: OPS Rejects Lagos Land Use Charge Law by edoman2016: 5:44pm On Feb 28, 2018
The payment of land use charge in Lagos is a scam. At least 20℅ of the money Lagos state government will earn from land use charge will go to tinubu's consulting firm ( Alpha beta). Bunch of thieves.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: OPS Rejects Lagos Land Use Charge Law by CocoaOla: 5:44pm On Feb 28, 2018
Lagosians are are nothing but slaves
Re: OPS Rejects Lagos Land Use Charge Law by emonis88: 5:48pm On Feb 28, 2018
Ayodejioak:
Awesome. Looks like some my learned colleagues have done the right thing again

Sadly, these are thhe set of people that will feel the backlash of these laws

So would you expect them to agree to a law that lets them pay more and stress more

The poor don't care cos they are busy arranging their rent for Mr Land lord (Last day of the month again)

don't u know that rent will also increase so it will affect d rich n d poor.

12 Likes

Re: OPS Rejects Lagos Land Use Charge Law by minke: 5:50pm On Feb 28, 2018
Ayodejioak:
Awesome. Looks like some my learned colleagues have done the right thing again

Sadly, these are thhe set of people that will feel the backlash of these laws

So would you expect them to agree to a law that lets them pay more and stress more

The poor don't care cos they are busy arranging their rent for Mr Land lord (Last day of the month again)

In the end, it is this same poor that will bear the burden of this law. The landlord will simply add the extra charges to the rent.

7 Likes

Re: OPS Rejects Lagos Land Use Charge Law by Ayodejioak(m): 5:52pm On Feb 28, 2018
minke:

In the end, it is this same poor that will bear the burden of this law. The landlord will simply add the extra charges to the rent.

Such is life. More reason why ending up in the category of the former is essential
Re: OPS Rejects Lagos Land Use Charge Law by john650(m): 5:53pm On Feb 28, 2018
Organised Private Sector should just sue the LASG in the courts and tie-up the case.
Re: OPS Rejects Lagos Land Use Charge Law by Ayodejioak(m): 5:53pm On Feb 28, 2018
emonis88:

Who says life is easy?
Re: OPS Rejects Lagos Land Use Charge Law by BabbanBura(m): 5:54pm On Feb 28, 2018
ikorodureporta:

https://www.google.com.ng/amp/s/www.vanguardngr.com/2018/02/ops-rejects-lagos-land-use-charge-law/amp/

Sadly this increase will be transferred to the masses by the property owners as rent
Re: OPS Rejects Lagos Land Use Charge Law by BabbanBura(m): 5:55pm On Feb 28, 2018
emonis88:

The masses will be the most affected
Re: OPS Rejects Lagos Land Use Charge Law by Tunks2017(m): 6:05pm On Feb 28, 2018
This land use charge is very outrageous and unnecessary angry
Alot of People both landlords and tenants in Lag are just trying to get by.................. The economy is dry.

1 Like

Re: OPS Rejects Lagos Land Use Charge Law by LaudableXX: 6:11pm On Feb 28, 2018
Ayodejioak:
Awesome. Looks like the learned colleagues have done the right thing again

These are the set of people that will feel the backlash of these laws the most (the rich)

So would you expect them to agree to a law that lets them pay more and stress more?

On the other hand, the poor don't care cos they are busy arranging their rent for Mr Land lord (Last day of the month again)

Don't be funny! sad The poor will definitely feel the backlash, more. When Land Use Charge increases, do you think the landlord will not pass the cost to the poor, by increasing his house rent? Think man, think! shocked I know someone whose former Land Use Charge was just 78,000 naira per annum. Under the new rates, he is being asked to pay 361,000 naira per year. And you think he will not increase the rent, on that property to make up the difference?? undecided

BabbanBura:
The masses will be the most affected
BabbanBura:
Sadly this increase will be transferred to the masses by the property owners as rent
minke:
emonis88:
Exactly! shocked Just sit down and watch how house rents go up in Lagos, due to the increase in this Land Use Charge. Some people may even end up getting quit notices from their landlord due to their inability to pay the new increases in the rents, which have been raised to cover the Land Use Charge! angry Ambode increased survey fees a short while ago, and now he is increasing the Land Use Charge astronomically! Is it now a crime to be a landlord in Lagos?

1 Like

Re: OPS Rejects Lagos Land Use Charge Law by macaphan007(m): 6:11pm On Feb 28, 2018
Ambode is moving to fast with his revenue generation and he's really not factoring other aspect of the economy into his policies,people's earnings haven't increased in any way,what about access to portable water and good roads? The drive for revenue generation is not a fire brigade approach.

It takes time and effort on the part of the Government to justify any form of extortion in the name of generating extra revenue.

Looking at the issue of waste management in Lagos State,deciding to change from the PSPs to VisionScape without making any arrangement to fill the vacuum has made Lagos a mess,now visionscape is learning on the job.

I think he really needs to be more accountable with the revenue he's been generating before asking people to pay more.

7 Likes

Re: OPS Rejects Lagos Land Use Charge Law by macaphan007(m): 6:14pm On Feb 28, 2018
LaudableXX:

Don't be funny! sad The poor will definitely feel the backlash, more. When Land Use Charge increases, do you think the landlord will not pass the cost to the poor, by increasing his house rent? Think man, think! shocked I know someone whose former Land Use Charge was just 78,000 naira per annum. Under the new rates, he is being asked to pay 361,000 naira per year. And you think he will not increase the rent, on that property to make up the difference?? undecided
people don't understand that there will be a ripple effect,well I think it will only help Ogun and Oyo state if they are wise enough to see the potentials,by making land available for real estate developers to accommodate the people that will begin to relocate from Lagos.

2 Likes

Re: OPS Rejects Lagos Land Use Charge Law by manny4life(m): 6:22pm On Feb 28, 2018
I think this is a blessing in disguise for other states or upcoming cities in the south. Increase in rent would certainly make businesses and people relocate to nearby or other affordable cities.

1 Like

Re: OPS Rejects Lagos Land Use Charge Law by LaudableXX: 6:24pm On Feb 28, 2018
macaphan007:
people don't understand that there will be a ripple effect,well I think it will only help Ogun and Oyo state if they are wise enough to see the potentials,by making land available for real estate developers to accommodate the people that will begin to relocate from Lagos.
In fact, if we had an efficient water transport system, or an effective rapid mass transit rail system connecting all the Southwestern states and Middle Belt, I would probably have relocated to Mowe in Ogun State or Lokoja. This arbitrary increase of charges and other nansense fees in Lagos, is getting out of hand....

1 Like

Re: OPS Rejects Lagos Land Use Charge Law by chloride6: 6:29pm On Feb 28, 2018
Can anyone funish me with the effective land use rate per property valuation?

Are there any also associated charges?
Re: OPS Rejects Lagos Land Use Charge Law by macaphan007(m): 6:30pm On Feb 28, 2018
LaudableXX:

In fact, if we had an efficient water transport system, or an effective rapid mass transit rail system connecting all the Southwestern states and Middle Belt, I would probably have relocated to Mowe in Ogun State or Lokoja. This arbitrary increase of charges and other nansense fees in Lagos, is getting out of hand....
My brother I feel the same way too,if I stay in Akure and work in Lagos,I will live fine,enjoy fresh vegetables and fruits and I don't have to spend so much on house rent and I will always visit my Grandma every other weekend in Ogori.

2 Likes

Re: OPS Rejects Lagos Land Use Charge Law by Ayodejioak(m): 6:36pm On Feb 28, 2018
LaudableXX:

Exactly! shocked Just sit down and watch how house rents go up in Lagos, due to the increase in this Land Use Charge. Some people may even end up getting quit notices from their landlord due to their inability to pay the new increases in the rents, which have been raised to cover the Land Use Charge! angry He increased survey fees a short while ago, and now he is increasing the Land Use Charge astronomically! Is it now a crime to be a landlord in Lagos?

Did you just say the act that was passed some 24 hours ago are now being implenemented by some land lords?
Re: OPS Rejects Lagos Land Use Charge Law by Nobody: 6:41pm On Feb 28, 2018
CocoaOla:
Lagosians are are nothing but slaves
tinubus ATM..Lagos and London being taxed to death, except UK have a welfare system, you can get council flats free and claim benefits,have the NHS, have light and water, what do lagosians have,they have tinubu and ambode to hero worship

6 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Limited Offer! ROCKVILLE COURTS Land In Lekki Free Trade Zone @ N3M (C of O) / Zilt Consulting Firm, Ibadan (BUILDINGS, ACRES & PLOTS OF LAND FOR SALE) / Furniture I Bought From China Arrived

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.