Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,186 members, 7,953,668 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 10:18 PM

How Do CEOs Pay Themselves? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Do CEOs Pay Themselves? (16850 Views)

Top Black CEOs At Global Corporations And Lessons From Their Careers / Top 20 Nigerian CEOs And The Courses They Studied In School / America’s Top 13 Ceos And The Courses They Studied In School (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do CEOs Pay Themselves? by praiz01: 5:50pm On Feb 28, 2018
My name is Dr Precious and am the CEO of PG HEALTHCARE NIG , when we started our business our monthly turn over was same for 8 months , for one year i was putting money into the business from my salary and was taking nothing from the business, we are 4years in the bussiness now with a monthly turn over of 800-1mil and every staff is on salary including me ..

Jumping into your company acct at every point in time to withdraw cash is as dangerous as carrying cash around ,you spend before thinking and on unnecessary things too....

my humbly advice
check my handle on I.G @pghealthcare

2 Likes

Re: How Do CEOs Pay Themselves? by CosmeticChemist(m): 5:50pm On Feb 28, 2018
I pay myself a certain percentage of annual profit and save the rest..

1 Like

Re: How Do CEOs Pay Themselves? by profosa: 5:59pm On Feb 28, 2018
praiz01:
My name is Dr Precious and am the CEO of PG HEALTHCARE NIG , when we started our business our monthly turn over was same for 8 months , for one year i was putting money into the business from my salary and was taking nothing from the business, we are 4years in the bussiness now with a monthly turn over of 800-1mil and every staff is on salary including me ..

Jumping into your company acct at every point in time to withdraw cash is as dangerous as carrying cash around ,you spend before thinking and on unnecessary things too....

my humbly advice

The important stuff is to treat your finances separately from that of the Company,if put much into your business document it and withdraw same when your business is doing.a company is different from her owner
check my handle on I.G @pghealthcare
Re: How Do CEOs Pay Themselves? by Adefemiaderoju1: 6:17pm On Feb 28, 2018
Stupid question
Re: How Do CEOs Pay Themselves? by urbanemind(m): 6:18pm On Feb 28, 2018
Ayodejioak:
When you are a CEO (Especially your own boss),

You basically need no further compensation than just that.

The fact that get to your OWN office,

Tell you OWN people how you want to run things

And TAILOR your own ideas for implementation.

That inner joy you get doing these thing is unquantifiable with MONEY.

Try it too, then thank me later!!
So So out of point.

1 Like

Re: How Do CEOs Pay Themselves? by alezzy13: 6:29pm On Feb 28, 2018
I think OP is mistaking a CEO for a proprietor of a private coy. A CEO is an employee just like the cleaner so he is paid a fixed amount just like everyone else (albiet higher) And yes he can be fired as well.

1 Like

Re: How Do CEOs Pay Themselves? by Ayodejioak(m): 6:33pm On Feb 28, 2018
urbanemind:
So So out of point.

We can only try to bring smart ideas to forum

Unfortunately, we are not able to bring smart people to every comment!
Re: How Do CEOs Pay Themselves? by uuzba(m): 6:37pm On Feb 28, 2018
It's important to balance your books well and pay yourself a salary. That's how you will know if your business is OK or just waste of time.
-
Treat yourself like a staff as well. In case you are tired and wish to handover daily duties to another person at least you will know exactly how much salary to pay such a person and you will know that you how viable (how long) you can keep paying that amount.
Re: How Do CEOs Pay Themselves? by uuzba(m): 6:37pm On Feb 28, 2018
Adefemiaderoju1:
Stupid question
Stupid answer.
Re: How Do CEOs Pay Themselves? by frugal(m): 6:55pm On Feb 28, 2018
Fixed salary is good.

I get N0.00/month. But all my expenses are taken care of by the company, and properly recorded/documented. But still don't go beyond a certain limit per month. Additionally I get sales commissions like every other sales person - only for deals I close personally.

Fixed salary is good, makes you a responsible owner. Will consider one in the future.
Re: How Do CEOs Pay Themselves? by ladyF(f): 6:55pm On Feb 28, 2018
My own company is yet to pay me salary o, who do I report them to? angry

1 Like

Re: How Do CEOs Pay Themselves? by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 7:01pm On Feb 28, 2018
If your company has a board, the board determines the compensation.
For small and medium companies, compensation usually consists of a salary and stock / shares. The salary is usually to enable the CEO meet his day-to-day needs. The real money is in stock.

For very large companies, especially where the CEO is already wealthy, salary is inconsequential. Besides, many other needs of the CEO (housing, healthcare, travel, school fees) are taken care of by the company. Dangote, Sundar Pinchar, Elon Musk do not do it for salary. When Steve Jobs took over Apple the second time, his compensation was only $1 per year in salary but 100 million shares. In some cases, the CEO may decide to take only shares when the company is in trouble and he wishes to express his confidence in it's future prospects.

In badly run companies, the CEO has full access to the company's​ resources and may pay himself as he / she wishes. This sort of financial indiscipline is one of the main causes of business failure.

In Nigeria, many public companies pay both high salaries and high compensation - which shows you that we have a poor corporate culture.

1 Like

Re: How Do CEOs Pay Themselves? by Abogwara: 7:01pm On Feb 28, 2018
Well I own chain of companies but earn little as salary. That's the key to accelerated growth of your firms if sole proprietorship or Nigerian family limited company. I made mine a mark of 600k monthly after the drop in value of Naira as it was 300k prior to that. My company sponsors my private capital projects like house and car acquisition while my basic 600k take home is for every other thing including, grooves, school fees and family upkeep.

1 Like

Re: How Do CEOs Pay Themselves? by monlawal(m): 7:02pm On Feb 28, 2018
speaktome:
I am on Salary and my wife too grin grin

#MySignatureMyBusiness
Hello Sir, I need a rice milling machine. How do we go about it
Re: How Do CEOs Pay Themselves? by freshdude99(m): 7:03pm On Feb 28, 2018
Adefemiaderoju1:
Stupid question
Foolish reader and commenter
Re: How Do CEOs Pay Themselves? by speaktome(m): 7:18pm On Feb 28, 2018
monlawal:

Hello Sir, I need a rice milling machine. How do we go about it

Complete rice milling equipment?
Re: How Do CEOs Pay Themselves? by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 7:34pm On Feb 28, 2018
Pussyisfood:
CEOs decide how much they want to be paid. Mark Zuckerberg's salary is $1 a year. Warren Buffet's salary is $100,000.00.

Normally people like to register their businesses as corporation because doing so allows you to pay yourself $1 for instance and place the burden of your life as a part of your business expenses. That's just a way of evading tax... Corporations are taxed after all their expenses have been deducted.

When you find someone paying themselves huge sums like $1 million a year for instance, they simply don't care about utilizing that method of evading tax.

So in the end, you will decide how you want to pay yourself. For instance if your business is registered as a corporation, you can list all the bills brought by the car as business expenses, or if you go out and eat with your friends, you can list the cost of the food and other things you acquired at the dinner as part of your business expenses... You can simply pay yourself a regular salary as income from most other business models are seen as personal income. Hope that makes sense.

Modified: If you are running a small business, you won't see the need for trying to evade tax by running the corporation model of business.

Your answer is wrong.

The board determines the compensation not the CEO
Re: How Do CEOs Pay Themselves? by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 7:37pm On Feb 28, 2018
Adefemiaderoju1:
Stupid question

How is this a stupid question ?

Executive compensation is a topic by itself in finance and management. People have gone to jail for getting it wrong.

3 Likes

Re: How Do CEOs Pay Themselves? by urbanemind(m): 7:44pm On Feb 28, 2018
Ayodejioak:

still way out of point..
Re: How Do CEOs Pay Themselves? by Pussyisfood: 7:52pm On Feb 28, 2018
IamaNigerianGuy:

Your answer is wrong.

The board determines the compensation not the CEO

My answer is not wrong. I am talking in the context of a medium or small business owner, or when the CEO is also the principal share holder of the company. My only mistake is that I didn't state it.

1 Like

Re: How Do CEOs Pay Themselves? by Nobody: 8:11pm On Feb 28, 2018
love yourself pay yourself first... Dr Abib Olamitoye. i love this man.
Re: How Do CEOs Pay Themselves? by Abdul4trust1(m): 8:34pm On Feb 28, 2018
profosa:
CEOs are first of all a staff,so you need an employment letter stating your gross salary and other benefits you may enjoy.so you would be placed on the staff payroll earning monthly salary.

In addition,as a CEO you are also a director of the Company and you are also expected to earn sitting allowances and director''s fee.

Finally the board of directors fixes the emolument of CEO.ensure proper documentation of board resolution on all earnings by the CEO because the taxman may come knocking.
not Just The Directors But The Independent Non-executive Directors Determine The Remuneration Of The Board Of Directors In Which The Ceo Is A Member. Note, Remunerations Includes Basic Salary, Bonuses, Allowances Etc.
Re: How Do CEOs Pay Themselves? by Sagamite(m): 12:10am On Mar 01, 2018
jamil2000:
Hey nairalanders, pls i would like to know how CEOs pay themselves be it a big or small businesses or companies, do they place themselves on salary or they just take money from the company's account when ever they want?
pls i need you views, answers and thoughts.

Mods pls help move it to the front page

Depends on what size you refer to as "big".

If it is stockmarket big or close to it, then the first responder has probably answered you. Normally the CEOs at this stage are not the founders/owners.

If it is a small business/start-up, you pay yourself the barest minimum to be tax efficient.

For example, in the UK, you don't pay any tax on the first £11,500 of any salary. It is called "personal allowance". So a CEO of a small company should pay himself £958 per month in salary so as to pay 0% tax on their salary (i.e. income tax).

Any amount above the £11,500 (up to a certain amount) paid as salary is taxed at the rate of 20%. While dividends is taxed at 7.5% up to the next £43,000.

So any more money you want to get out of the business is best paid to the owner/CEO as DIVIDENDS, rather than SALARY. That is being tax efficient. You pay less tax.

In Nigeria, the equivalent of the UK "Personal Allowance" is the "Consolidated Relief Allowance", which means you pay 0% tax on (a) the first N200,000 plus 20% of your total gross annual income OR (b) 1% of gross income plus 20% of your total gross annual income (whichever is higher).

So if you pay yourself N10m pa in salary, it is (b). N2.1m of the N10m is tax free.

If you pay yourself N1m pa in salary, it is (a). N400K of the N1m is tax free.

Dividends tax in Nigeria is a flat rate of 10%, so a owner/CEO that wants to pay himself N10m pa and still be tax efficient is better off paying himself about N500K in annual salary and then N9.5m in dividends.

You can't just take money from the company's account whenever you wish in a sane country except the company is registered as a partnership. If it is a LTD, the company is separate from the owner/CEO, the tax man would clamp down on you except you can record it as a "loan to the director" that would be paid back within a reasonable time frame.

3 Likes

Re: How Do CEOs Pay Themselves? by Sagamite(m): 12:12am On Mar 01, 2018
Ayodejioak:
When you are a CEO (Especially your own boss),

You basically need no further compensation than just that.

The fact that get to your OWN office,

Tell you OWN people how you want to run things

And TAILOR your own ideas for implementation.

That inner joy you get doing these thing is unquantifiable with MONEY.

Try it too, then thank me later!!

What a nonsense answer!

1 Like

Re: How Do CEOs Pay Themselves? by Sagamite(m): 12:17am On Mar 01, 2018
urbanemind:
So So out of point.

Ayodejioak:

If you call the junk you wrote a "smart idea", then you are a mooron!

3 Likes

Re: How Do CEOs Pay Themselves? by monlawal(m): 6:29am On Mar 01, 2018
speaktome:

Complete rice milling equipment?
Yes
Re: How Do CEOs Pay Themselves? by urbanemind(m): 8:42am On Mar 01, 2018
Sagamite:

If you call the junk you wrote a "smart idea", then you are a mooron!
don't mind dat confused soul, someone asked a simple question and he's writing his biography there claiming it's 'smart idea'
Re: How Do CEOs Pay Themselves? by speaktome(m): 12:51pm On Mar 01, 2018
monlawal:

Yes

Please kindly chat me up on whatsapp

Re: How Do CEOs Pay Themselves? by Nobody: 5:56pm On Mar 01, 2018
Sagamite:

Depends on what size you refer to as "big".

If it is stockmarket big or close to it, then the first responder has probably answered you. Normally the CEOs at this stage are not the founders/owners.

If it is a small business/start-up, you pay yourself the barest minimum to be tax efficient.

For example, in the UK, you don't pay any tax on the first £11,500 of any salary. It is called "personal allowance". So a CEO of a small company should pay himself £958 per month in salary so as to pay 0% tax on their salary (i.e. income tax).

Any amount above the £11,500 (up to a certain amount) paid as salary is taxed at the rate of 20%. While dividends is taxed at 7.5% up to the next £43,000.

So any more money you want to get out of the business is best paid to the owner/CEO as DIVIDENDS, rather than SALARY. That is being tax efficient. You pay less tax.

In Nigeria, the equivalent of the UK "Personal Allowance" is the "Consolidated Relief Allowance", which means you pay 0% tax on (a) the first N200,000 plus 20% of your total gross annual income OR (b) 1% of gross income plus 20% of your total gross annual income (whichever is higher).

So if you pay yourself N10m pa in salary, it is (b). N2.1m of the N10m is tax free.

If you pay yourself N1m pa in salary, it is (a). N400K of the N1m is tax free.

Dividends tax in Nigeria is a flat rate of 10%, so a owner/CEO that wants to pay himself N10m pa and still be tax efficient is better off paying himself about N500K in annual salary and then N9.5m in dividends.

You can't just take money from the company's account whenever you wish in a sane country except the company is registered as a partnership. If it is a LTD, the company is separate from the owner/CEO, the tax man would clamp down on you except you can record it as a "loan to the director" that would be paid back within a reasonable time frame.

thanks man

(1) (2) (Reply)

Alagbon Ayomide, An Eksu Graduate Making A Living From Shoemaking / How Do You Cope With 60k Salary In Port Harcourt ? / Signs & Way Out When Your Boss Wants To Sack You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.