Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,196 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:31 AM

Top Ten Secrets Of First Class Students. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Top Ten Secrets Of First Class Students. (26305 Views)

First Class Students Of Ignatius Ajuru Uni Write Test To Prove Their Grades / What Do First Class Students Do That Others Dont? / Tony Adibeh Has Built A World-class Students Hostel At The COOU Anambra(photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top Ten Secrets Of First Class Students. by JARUSHUB: 4:02pm On Feb 28, 2018
1 NATURAL BRILLIANCE: There is a minimum level of natural brilliance that is required before a student can think of First Class. I do not intend to put limit to one’s capabilities, for I believe like most people that impossible is nothing. However, realistically speaking, that is an exception to the rule. Most First Class students have a track record from lower levels of education. That is the first foundation.

2, THE POWER OF DREAM: Most first class students dream. I do not mean metaphysical dream, I mean the Luther King definition – vision, forward-looking, even though awake. In secondary school I had a friend who once looked up and said, ‘the last time someone made an aggregate 6 (i.e minimum of 6 A1’s in SSCE) in this school was 12 years ago, I want to be the next’. He made it. Same boy told me he wanted to ‘enter the back of JAMB brochure’, meaning he wanted to be among the top 3 JAMB students in Nigeria (JAMB print at the back of the brochure for a year the names of the best 3 candidates in the prior year’s examinations). He didn’t make it, but he scored 296. When this friend of mine entered Ife, he went to his faculty’s board, where names of best students are engraved every year, looked up and said, ‘when I leave this school after five years I want my name written on this board’. He worked for it. He didn’t make it. But he not only came out with a CGPA north of 4.7 (of the possible 5.0) but he also emerged as one of his faculty’s best. After that, he told someone that he wanted to have his PhD without doing Master’s degree. The person told him it was hardly possibly, and counted on his fingertips the number of Nigerians that performed that feat. My friend proved our doubter wrong. He got the PhD at age 29, skipping Master’s. That is the power of dream.

3. COMPETITION: What most people don’t know is that there is usually a subtle competition among best students in classes. The competition is not necessarily unhealthy. They may be –and in fact usually are – friends, but they compete. In my undergraduate days, story is told of a guy that, at the beginning of every semester, went to ask what X, the best student in the class immediately preceding his, scored in each course and he would tell those that cared to listen to him that he would break the record and score higher than him. He did, most times. Most First Class students compete. Each wants to be the highest scorer in each subject. That is why it is always good to go to a competitive institution, rather than enjoy local championship status without stiff competition.

4. CALCULATION: When you see some students reading a purely theoretical course and having calculator by the side, don’t think they are insane or doing ‘over-syllabus’. No they are just running the permutations – if I score B in this course, what will my CGPA be? What is the worst case scenario? What is the best case scenario? How many A’s do I need to make X-CGPA? etc. These are calculations that go on in their heads. Some don’t even compute their GP’s at the end of a semester, they have the template in their heads already, having done the permutations over and over again even before writing the examinations, and they just insert the course scores into their mental template.

5. OPTIMISTIC MENTALITY: Some students die many times before their academic death. How can a student gain admission into a school and the first thing he hears is, you can never make a First Class, they wont give you. Well, I don’t believe this. This is what kills many students. How can you go to battle with a defeatist mentality and expect to win? Many First Class students defy these “messengers of doom” and pursue their target optimistically. I finished from the Obafemi Awolowo University and this is one thing I must commend students of the school for. As a Jambite, what you hear are stories of one Deji Akere that shattered school records, or one Hammed Shittu that effortlessly broke any record breakable. You even hear of stories of students that had graduated since the 1970s. These are stories that motivate you, not some tale by moonlight about a sadist lecturer denying you First class. This is another very vital feature of First Class students. They don’t believe cock and bull stories.

36 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Top Ten Secrets Of First Class Students. by forreelinc(m): 4:04pm On Feb 28, 2018
;Dthey also f*ck and bribe lecturers

5 Likes

Re: Top Ten Secrets Of First Class Students. by JARUSHUB: 4:10pm On Feb 28, 2018
6. ACADEMIC ENVIRONMENT: Academic environment also helps. In a school where you spend most of your time queuing for water or transport or forced to read with candle, chances of academic success are very low. This is why Nigerian students do well abroad where they have all the facilities and learning is conducive. This is also why schools like OAU, UI and to some extent, Unilag, with strong students body that fight for students welfare like good transport system, power on campus, good water system etc, produce more First Class students. Same for private schools, where there is little or no worry about welfare.

7. COURSE OF STUDY: Course of study is another very important factor. It is better to choose a course you are interested in, not one you are forced to do. Some otherwise brilliant students don’t perform up to potential because they are not interested in what they are studying in the university.

8. THE EARLY YEARS ARE CRITICAL: Some students get taken away by the euphoria of being a university student and spend their first year faffing around. Still, in some schools, year 1 performance is not aggregated as part of the overall grade. For most students, after performing woefully in their first two years, they now grab straw to salvage the situation in the later years. Needless to say, it is most times a futile exercise. But there are cases of great come-backs. The best two students in my class during my undergraduate days were not among top 15 in class after our first semester year 1. They were not even in First Class then. But they came back to overtake all of us early flyers. Well, that means there is still hope if you didn’t do too well after your year 1. But after year 2, the bridge may have fallen.

9. KNOW THYSELF: The problem with many student is they try to ‘copy-cat’. While it is good to learn from the method of another high performer, it is important to know how to adapt it. Some students don’t need to read for more than 3 hours a day before they pass, indeed do excellently well and top the class. Some must read for at least 7 hours a day. I know First Class students that watched football and participated actively in campus religious activities. Some even get involved in departmental politics. It is about knowing oneself. But for most First Class students I know, reading the notes while still hot, and not waiting till they accumulate, is a common denominator.

10 ….AND KNOW THY TEACHER TOO: Knowing how to approach a question in an examination is an art itself. How do you organize your answers? It goes beyond just picking the answer script and writing down what you think is the answer. Know what the lecturer wants. Does he want ‘lengthy story’? Or he wants it ‘short and snappy’? You may have a clue into this through your seniors who had taken the course earlier. First class students study not only the course, but the course-taker.

Ultimately, God is very important. The above are just helpful human factors.

JarusHub wishes our student-readers a successful academic endeavour.

Cc: Lalasticlala and Mynd44.

38 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Top Ten Secrets Of First Class Students. by Epositive(m): 4:49pm On Feb 28, 2018
forreelinc:
Awon 3rd class graduate grin

8 Likes

Re: Top Ten Secrets Of First Class Students. by DBright123(m): 11:12pm On Feb 28, 2018
forreelinc:
What's the meaning of this for God's sake?

3 Likes

Re: Top Ten Secrets Of First Class Students. by forreelinc(m): 11:29pm On Feb 28, 2018
DBright123:

What's the meaning of this for God's sake?
grin the words of a 3rd class graduate

9 Likes

Re: Top Ten Secrets Of First Class Students. by salt1: 7:50am On Mar 01, 2018
OP, did you make a first class?

Just curious
Re: Top Ten Secrets Of First Class Students. by Venerable612(m): 7:50am On Mar 01, 2018
Very true.... but sometimes it’s sheer Grace.

You forgot the God factor. “No one can have any good thing except it be given him from above “
John 3:27.

#and you don’t need to be a Christian to enjoy this. It’s a given. A basic essence of living.

1 Like

Re: Top Ten Secrets Of First Class Students. by mickeyenglish(m): 7:51am On Mar 01, 2018
Here we go again...

Today,it's First Class :- The Hidden Secret Keys,
Tomorrow,Second Class Upper :-Their Roles In Society,
Next,it is 2.2 graduates and how to package your CV,
Furthermore, you still see things such as 3rd class and ways to go around the veil of unemployment.

You people keep giving fleshy attributes to things that doesn't matter anymore. You keep holding onto bygone things such as degrees. It is always good and relevant to attend a University (I won't subscribe a polythecnic. It's a waste of time),but at this point in time, you need not pay attention to degrees anymore. I tell some of my friends who came out with very strong degrees in OAU (which is also my Alma mata) especially in fields of Tech and Engineering to set it aside and tell me what they can do with it. They instantly go dumb and start chest beating about their valour and prowess in academics and blaming me for studying English Language .

What is the essence of the grades when you can't solve my problem which is related to your field? Your are a mech Eng grad and you can't give me a mini farm tractor or even it's caricature for my agro business and you call yourself a First Class genius?you are useless to me as an agropreneur and the Nation at large in terms of Agriculture and diversification.What is your essence on earth when as a Computer Science grad,you can't even build an Android or mobile App which me as an English language graduate has become a guru in?then you are just as useless as a cigarette butt. You are a graduate of Bio Chem, have you asked your self; what is my essence and input into the economy of the country? I see people study Physics in Nigerian institutions and wonder if they would ever be called Scientists or even physicists like their counterparts from MIT and other top notch institutions around the world.

I wonder if the likes of John Rockerfella had that much classroom exposure before he ventured into Gasoline and Kerosene,as no one ever addressed him as a petrochemical engineer or did Henry Ford who gave us Automobile was ever adresssed as a Mechanical Engineer. If we put them side by side with the so called First Class or our everly sound erudite Professors,i wonder who Nigerians would adresss as dullards or illetrate.

While others are going about, inventing and breaking grounds in Science, Medicine, Technology and, Weapons development, our First Class graduates and other strong degree holders are here running around with their impressive CVs looking and praying for that impressive elusive sweet job.

Conversely, I'm not insinuating that you should forgo your academics, but make sure that when you get that grade, be it First Class or Pass, determine the course of your race, change the lives of your fellow Africans with ground breaking developments and inventions or just go into areas where the economy needs you the most which to me is; Tech, Agriculture and, Power.

I have done my part as a Nigerian, though I'm not even 25yet, and not yet mobilised for NYSC, I can boast today of being a Software developer(Java), Android developer, Blogger and, Agropreneur. What do you thing would happen to my life before I clock 35?dont you think by then, I would have become a massive employer of labor? Both skilled and unskilled waiting on me to give them their monthly stipend in form of salaries.Its not because I'm more intelligent than the assumed first-class holders but because I was able to key into the Nigerian dream which has eluded and blinded some people. You can't make your money in the US or say other developed countries ,you can only do that in developing countries like Nigeria with a very huge and powerful economy and population,or do you think Nigerians would feed on prayers rather than food or Agricultural products? kiss .

Finally, me as a person, immediately after my NYSC I'll get my Masters degree in a different course entire maybe in Archeology,History,International relations, Metaphysis,or Theology and then proceed for my PhD in any of those courses but in leisure and I don't see myself job hunting with it in a thousand years because I believe learning is meant for self development and evolution and not running around on ties and suits in sun.. Trust me those courses are quite interesting only when you are doing it without the stress of searching for a living with it.

Nevertheless, as a social media influencer, Mr Jarushub, you and your team, should girdle up your loins and re-brain wash these first class dreamers to attend more entrepreneur and Tech seminars and agro business seminars on campus like TedX and the likes, even if it implies paying fees to register for such. I know they would listen to you smiley

Post No Bill

38 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Top Ten Secrets Of First Class Students. by richol(m): 7:53am On Mar 01, 2018
nothing wrong with being first class but it's never a measure of true intelligence and even knowledge
Re: Top Ten Secrets Of First Class Students. by free2ryhme: 7:57am On Mar 01, 2018
JARUSHUB:

1 NATURAL BRILLIANCE: There is a minimum level of natural brilliance that is required before a student can think of First Class. I do not intend to put limit to one’s capabilities, for I believe like most people that impossible is nothing. However, realistically speaking, that is an exception to the rule. Most First Class students have a track record from lower levels of education. That is the first foundation.

2, THE POWER OF DREAM: Most first class students dream. I do not mean metaphysical dream, I mean the Luther King definition – vision, forward-looking, even though awake. In secondary school I had a friend who once looked up and said, ‘the last time someone made an aggregate 6 (i.e minimum of 6 A1’s in SSCE) in this school was 12 years ago, I want to be the next’. He made it. Same boy told me he wanted to ‘enter the back of JAMB brochure’, meaning he wanted to be among the top 3 JAMB students in Nigeria (JAMB print at the back of the brochure for a year the names of the best 3 candidates in the prior year’s examinations). He didn’t make it, but he scored 296. When this friend of mine entered Ife, he went to his faculty’s board, where names of best students are engraved every year, looked up and said, ‘when I leave this school after five years I want my name written on this board’. He worked for it. He didn’t make it. But he not only came out with a CGPA north of 4.7 (of the possible 5.0) but he also emerged as one of his faculty’s best. After that, he told someone that he wanted to have his PhD without doing Master’s degree. The person told him it was hardly possibly, and counted on his fingertips the number of Nigerians that performed that feat. My friend proved our doubter wrong. He got the PhD at age 29, skipping Master’s. That is the power of dream.

3. COMPETITION: What most people don’t know is that there is usually a subtle competition among best students in classes. The competition is not necessarily unhealthy. They may be –and in fact usually are – friends, but they compete. In my undergraduate days, story is told of a guy that, at the beginning of every semester, went to ask what X, the best student in the class immediately preceding his, scored in each course and he would tell those that cared to listen to him that he would break the record and score higher than him. He did, most times. Most First Class students compete. Each wants to be the highest scorer in each subject. That is why it is always good to go to a competitive institution, rather than enjoy local championship status without stiff competition.

4. CALCULATION: When you see some students reading a purely theoretical course and having calculator by the side, don’t think they are insane or doing ‘over-syllabus’. No they are just running the permutations – if I score B in this course, what will my CGPA be? What is the worst case scenario? What is the best case scenario? How many A’s do I need to make X-CGPA? etc. These are calculations that go on in their heads. Some don’t even compute their GP’s at the end of a semester, they have the template in their heads already, having done the permutations over and over again even before writing the examinations, and they just insert the course scores into their mental template.

5. OPTIMISTIC MENTALITY: Some students die many times before their academic death. How can a student gain admission into a school and the first thing he hears is, you can never make a First Class, they wont give you. Well, I don’t believe this. This is what kills many students. How can you go to battle with a defeatist mentality and expect to win? Many First Class students defy these “messengers of doom” and pursue their target optimistically. I finished from the Obafemi Awolowo University and this is one thing I must commend students of the school for. As a Jambite, what you hear are stories of one Deji Akere that shattered school records, or one Hammed Shittu that effortlessly broke any record breakable. You even hear of stories of students that had graduated since the 1970s. These are stories that motivate you, not some tale by moonlight about a sadist lecturer denying you First class. This is another very vital feature of First Class students. They don’t believe cock and bull stories.

how many presidents, present and past, in the world had first class ?

the current president of Nigeria no even get ssce

14 Likes

Re: Top Ten Secrets Of First Class Students. by datola: 7:58am On Mar 01, 2018
Number 1, God's given ability is the most important followed by course of study and determination.
Re: Top Ten Secrets Of First Class Students. by LordIsaac(m): 8:08am On Mar 01, 2018
This post is the secret. Kudos, OP!
Re: Top Ten Secrets Of First Class Students. by BlissB(f): 8:08am On Mar 01, 2018
free2ryhme:

how many presidents, present and past, in the world had first class ?
the current president of Nigeria no even get ssce
grin grin
Re: Top Ten Secrets Of First Class Students. by Hasheem1hash(m): 8:15am On Mar 01, 2018
I Almost if not agreed with all your point until the tenth and last point which my mine opted to contradict. In the last point, you made mentioned of arranging or knowing what your lecturers desired or want, but from report and research we get to understand that our script are been marked/graded by senior students in the school. in this case how will student know them and perhaps know what the want

2 Likes

Re: Top Ten Secrets Of First Class Students. by Abdul3391(m): 8:46am On Mar 01, 2018
wow!!!
simply amazing but I'm still pushing well with my 2.1 and I think it's best for me
Re: Top Ten Secrets Of First Class Students. by Mhyketh(m): 8:48am On Mar 01, 2018
BlissB:
grin grin
and this same first class students will be praying for just a handshake from a clueless president.
Re: Top Ten Secrets Of First Class Students. by HeyCorleone(m): 9:04am On Mar 01, 2018
First class is sheer God's Grace.
Everything the OP wrote is bullcrap.
Re: Top Ten Secrets Of First Class Students. by mercytripletz: 9:13am On Mar 01, 2018
HeyCorleone:
First class is sheer God's Grace.

Everything the OP wrote is bullcrap.
You are the one who wrote crap. How many serious Christians have first class? Don't they have God's grace too?

We all have grace from God, why is it that not everybody has first class despite that?.
What you said is crap.

5 Likes

Re: Top Ten Secrets Of First Class Students. by HeyCorleone(m): 9:17am On Mar 01, 2018
mercytripletz:
You are the one who wrote crap. How many serious Christians have first class? Don't they have God's grace too?

We all have grace from God, why is it that not everybody has first class despite that?.
What you said is crap.

You're the fool to think God's Grace abounds to only"serious Christians" alone.

There are different levels of Grace. You're awake today. God's Grace. Someone didn't make it alive. Meanwhile someone is buying his car or starting to build his house today. Same God's Grace.

There are so many brilliant university students. So many. Or you want to say the ones with a 2:2 or 2:1 didn't read as hard, if not Harder than the First class student?

Bitch please.

Everything still comes down to God's Grace.

I won't blame you if you don't understand.

You seem like a hombre of inferior intellectual power.

4 Likes

Re: Top Ten Secrets Of First Class Students. by dejavuh0007(m): 9:22am On Mar 01, 2018
Lasu no dey smile at all. See as dem carry knife enter my gp last semester. embarassed embarassed embarassed

Re: Top Ten Secrets Of First Class Students. by dejavuh0007(m): 9:27am On Mar 01, 2018
In this part of the world, religion is another form of mental slavery. Do u people have to drag God into everything? U say God's grace? What about the Muslims and non believers that graduated with first class Don't read and write ur exams very well and b shouting God's grace. Sense fall on u.

1 Like

Re: Top Ten Secrets Of First Class Students. by Ekakamba: 9:27am On Mar 01, 2018
Akpurapumbem. cool
Re: Top Ten Secrets Of First Class Students. by Nobody: 9:39am On Mar 01, 2018
grin
Re: Top Ten Secrets Of First Class Students. by uu2712: 9:40am On Mar 01, 2018
This info is very important for serious and determined students.

1 Like

Re: Top Ten Secrets Of First Class Students. by mercytripletz: 9:42am On Mar 01, 2018
HeyCorleone:

You're the fool to think God's Grace abounds to only"serious Christians" alone.

There are different levels of Grace. You're awake today. God's Grace. Someone didn't make it alive. Meanwhile someone is buying his car or starting to build his house today. Same God's Grace.

There are so many brilliant university students. So many. Or you want to say the ones with a 2:2 or 2:1 didn't read as hard, if not Harder than the First class student?

Bitch please.

Everything still comes down to God's Grace.

I won't blame you if you don't understand.

You seem like a hombre of inferior intellectual power.

One reason why people fail is because they do not read.
Another reason is because instead of making sense, they throw insults.

You talked of God's grace. I told you that it is not about God's grace alone because if it is, everybody would be successful.

There are atheists that are on first class in my school and there are serious Christians that are on 2:2 and 3rd class.
I did not mention that it is only serious Christians that are on first class(I guess it is because you didn't read and understand).

Faith without works is dead. God's grace is abundant where hardworking is.
You can't say you who is in 100l passed exam meant for PhD physics students because of God's grace alone whereas the person read,read and read.

Well, if you continue with your insults and stuffs that don't make sense, I will ignore you

3 Likes

Re: Top Ten Secrets Of First Class Students. by smashad(m): 9:53am On Mar 01, 2018
I read this post from beginning to the end just because I wanted to learn, I knew I was going to learn more from the comments. I know my self has reliable academically and a serious person to an extent but I can categorically tell you that someone who is better than I am intellectually told me he wrote first class last In his first year. why? because he left God out of the equation. He knows that because his fellow first class counterpart has that which he didnt. oh! and he is better academically. see I'm going to write a first class and I know God's grace is going to lift me there and that's of course not without hardwork

2 Likes

Re: Top Ten Secrets Of First Class Students. by eterisan(m): 10:00am On Mar 01, 2018
So on point, I can relate.
Re: Top Ten Secrets Of First Class Students. by eterisan(m): 10:11am On Mar 01, 2018
dejavuh0007:
Lasu no dey smile at all. See as dem carry knife enter my gp last semester. embarassed embarassed embarassed
in patience jonathan's voice.... Chaiiiii
Re: Top Ten Secrets Of First Class Students. by OreoPaschal(m): 10:22am On Mar 01, 2018
Dear Jarushub,
Please, how can one apply for PhD without going for masters?
Re: Top Ten Secrets Of First Class Students. by sangresan(m): 10:22am On Mar 01, 2018
The truth be told,many of the so-called brilliant students are only good in cramming......

How many of us even get to use our imagination and innovate?

Some of what we study as theories and principles were invented by 18,20 years old researchers...

1 Like

Re: Top Ten Secrets Of First Class Students. by lascodii(m): 10:30am On Mar 01, 2018
dejavuh0007:
Even looking at the profile, I have known that you are a lasuite.. I'm also a lasuite.. I can even tell your course of study from looking at those courses

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Teaching Experience As A Corper/pyschologist In A Public And Private School. / Olu Of Warri’s Wife Calls For Justice For Sylvester Oromoni (Photos) / Schools In Lagos Now To Resume On 8th October.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.