Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,665 members, 7,820,338 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:18 PM

Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 - Art, Graphics & Video (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 (37700 Views)

Ben Enwonwu’s Painting Sold For £1.1m After Google Search / Ben Enwonwu's "African Dancers" Sold To Bidder At Lagos Auction Event. / Ben Enwonwu’s Missing Painting, Tutu, Found In London Flat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by Xavier9ja(m): 10:14pm On Feb 28, 2018
pwiz:
Una no get wetin to use money do... shocked
"I bought some artwork for one million
Two years later, that sh!t worth two million
Few years later, that sh!t worth eight
million" jay-z - the story of oj

4 Likes

Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by Guestlander: 10:23pm On Feb 28, 2018
phreakabit:
And he named it Tutu of all things?
Na wa o

Duh, that was the name of the woman in the painting. What else could he call her, Ngozi?

3 Likes

Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by PastorLucifer: 10:24pm On Feb 28, 2018
martineverest:
passion,emotion and archive

Wrong.

Artwork, like luxury cars is a store of value.

They rarely (if ever), depreciate in value - instead they go higher.

They can also be used as collaterals for bank loans.

The owner can always sell at a higher price if he ever goes broke (although most of them never do).

cc: thornapple
Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by delpee(f): 10:25pm On Feb 28, 2018
I wish Prof or his family derived some benefit from this. He was indeed an artist par excellence!

I wonder why our Culture Ministry made no moves to claim the painting for Nigeria/ his family.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by Nobody: 10:27pm On Feb 28, 2018
PastorLucifer:

Wrong.

Artwork, like luxury cars is a store of value.

They rarely (if ever), depreciate in value - instead they go higher.

They can also be used as collaterals for bank loans.

The owner can always sell at a higher price if he ever goes broke (although most of them never do).

cc: thornapple

This is quite educative. Thanks a lot. Your moniker is kinda disturbing though.

1 Like

Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by eyinjuege: 10:28pm On Feb 28, 2018
Ayodejioak:

If this is true and known enough, Then Im interested in seeing how the world handles this

There's no business of the world in this na. Its not a national painting, it was a personal painting.
It was a random burglary of his home then.
It ended up in someone's old dirty flat, and the person living there wanted it valued. They found out it was the missing painting of Tutu.
His son knew about the auction, and possibly the family might also get some proceeds of the auction. Im not sure about who put it up for sale, but i wont be surprised if it was his family. Its their inheritance afterall.

1 Like

Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by Nobody: 10:28pm On Feb 28, 2018
IamaNigerianGuy:

1. Cultural value

2. Aesthetic value

3. Emotional value

4. Bragging rights

5. As a store of wealth.

Nice knowing. Thanks my dear.
Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by PastorLucifer: 10:36pm On Feb 28, 2018
thornapple:

This is quite educative. Thanks a lot. Your moniker is kinda disturbing though.

Acts 14:53. "Judge not my annointed."

Yours is disturbing too. You must be a serial heart breaker.

1 Like

Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by Nobody: 10:41pm On Feb 28, 2018
sonnie10:
it shows class and separates the boys from men. Why do you work for money knowing that it is just paper? It is value the society has attached to it. The same material that is used in making 100 naira bill is used in making 1000 naira bill yet one is higher than the other! It feel good to own one thing that no one else can own, masterpiece.

nice illustration.
Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by lilreese: 10:42pm On Feb 28, 2018
Amazing
Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by Nobody: 10:44pm On Feb 28, 2018
PastorLucifer:

Acts 14:53. "Judge not my annointed."

Yours is disturbing too. You must be a serial heart breaker.

Hehehehehe cheesy
That's deserving going by where their interest lies.
Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by Obi1kenobi(m): 10:56pm On Feb 28, 2018
Ben Enwonwu and Uche Okeke are probably 2 of the most prolific artists Nigeria have produced. Still not sure why anyone would spend millions of dollars on paintings.

2 Likes

Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by Miyachi: 10:59pm On Feb 28, 2018

"I will not accept an inferior position in the art world. Nor have my art called African because I have not correctly and properly given expression to my reality. I have consistently fought against that kind of philosophy because it is bogus.

European artists like Picasso, Braque and Vlaminck were influenced by African art. Everybody sees that and is not opposed to it. But when they see African artists who are influenced by their European training and technique, they expect that African to stick to their traditional forms even if he bends down to copying them. I do not copy traditional art. I like what I see in the works of people like Giacometti but I do not copy them. I knew Giacometti personally in England, you know. I knew he was influenced by African sculptures. But I would not be influenced by Giacometti because he was influenced by my ancestors”.
This part hit me.

2 Likes

Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by Proffeluczy1(m): 10:59pm On Feb 28, 2018
Even in this era people are still living in bondage (total darkness) may we help ourselves through the Lord Jesus Christ.
Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by shallysgirl: 11:09pm On Feb 28, 2018
nuoladee:
Smart guy quickly painted a Yoruba woman grin
Yoruba women and beauty be like bread and butter.
chai,inferiority complex is real. Tufiakwa ndia.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by Nobody: 11:17pm On Feb 28, 2018
shallysgirl:
no pains here. The personality here is Ben Enwonwu, remember. grin
Where did I say otherwise?
Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by akigbemaru: 11:19pm On Feb 28, 2018
[quote author=naptu2 post=65451691][/quote]
Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by einsteine(m): 11:43pm On Feb 28, 2018
nuoladee:

You cant give what you dont have. He saw many Igbo women but chose a yoruba beauty. Everyone chooses a model that will add beauty to their work so yes the Yoruba woman was and is still the magic. Not to say the artist isnt talented but you cant dispute the beauty the woman adds.

He was in Ife at that time so it is only natural that the woman he would paint would most likely be Yoruba. There are many ugly and smelling Yoruba women. Don't be a bigot.

And the other fellows commenting Igbo this, Igbo that, best tribe, most intelligent and other rubbish, when would you guys grow up and stop living vicariously through other people's deeds. An Igbo man's achievement is not yours. Go and achieve your own. Don't showcase inferiority and persecution complex by crowing about another person's achievements.

A successful Igbo person has more in common with a successful Yoruba person than any of the miserable cretins that muddy both tribes.

6 Likes

Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by LaudableXX: 11:54pm On Feb 28, 2018
eyinjuege:
It was stolen when his house was burgled in the UK.

They found it years later in someone's flat.

His family definitely knew about the auction. His son claimed that was his father's favourite piece of art.
So will the family get paid for the art? Are they going to receive the 1 million pounds, the painting was sold for?

IamaNigerianGuy:
The piece was domiciled in the UK and sold in the UK. The sale was advertized.
Usually, the last known legitimate owner would be contacted and the painting returned to him / her. They are the ones to authorize the sale.
Failing that, the painting would normally be returned to the estate of the painter or his home government.... but Nigeria does not have a government so thats that.

Nigeria does not have a government...? Really?
Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by nkwuocha: 11:59pm On Feb 28, 2018
thornapple:
I never stop wondering the motivation behind buying a piece of painting for millions.

Get the movie "the longest ride".Watch it to the end, maybe you will understand.
Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by grandstar(m): 12:34am On Mar 01, 2018
Ayodejioak:
What are the facts here:

It is Vintage work of art. It's definitely a masterpiece.... But, It was made by a Nigerian

No one knew when it was listed in a foreign auction for sale

(It shouldn't even be listed for sale in the first place but ok...)

It wasn't even sold in Naira

Just in case someone begins to wonder if the Artist will get paid for his work

I guess you can deduce yourself!!!

Trying to picture this same scenario with one of Picasso's painting.... Only in Africa!!

Enwonwu is not entitled to a penny. He doesn't own the painting. If he still owned it, then his children or whoever he willed them to will be the beneficiaries.

So, if you bought from Ben for instance for N10m in 2017 and you decide to sell it for £10m in 2037, all the proceeds will go to you. Ben will not get a dime.

Also, you have centers for selling art works. The two most popular auctioneers are Sotheby and Christie and I think both are based in London.

1 Like

Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by Ayodejioak(m): 12:36am On Mar 01, 2018
grandstar:

Enwonwu is not entitled to a penny. He doesn't own the painting. If he still owned it, then his children or whoever he willed them to will be the beneficiaries.

So, if you bought from Ben for instance for N10m in 2017 and you decide to sell it for £10m in 2037, all the proceeds will go to you. Ben will not get a dime.

Also, you have centers for selling art works. The two most popular auctioneers are Sotheby and Christie and I think both are based in London.

Thank you. Great to know!
Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by Opoki(m): 12:45am On Mar 01, 2018
GavelSlam:

Yes.

I heard she's still alive.
Lol... I guess you know the meaning of my smile. BTW, I'm from Ife and Tutu' first son, her third child is 76yrs old.
Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by Ijebulogic(m): 12:51am On Mar 01, 2018
Igbo legend becomes famous because of Yoruba Princess...we are all one...no evil will divide us....together we are stronger.

1 Like

Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 12:58am On Mar 01, 2018
LaudableXX:

So will the family get paid for the art? Are they going to receive the 1 million pounds, the painting was sold for?

Nigeria does not have a government...? Really?

I do not have information about who the current legal owner(s) of the work is. In many cases, at auction, when possible and at the discretion of the parties, the identity of buyer and seller are concealed.
Here, a clue to title comes from the information that the painting was stolen from the artists residence : we may infer that the work still belongs to his estate.

2. Nope. None to speak of. Particularly in the area of asset repatriation, we lack the leverage and respect of the diplomatic community especially in the West.
Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by LZAA: 1:11am On Mar 01, 2018
nwabobo:

Afonja won't like this news.
they are already doing gum body on the thread shouting one naija grin grin ewedu goblins neva cease to amaze truthsayer10 right now grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 by LZAA: 1:13am On Mar 01, 2018
Ijebulogic:
Igbo legend becomes famous because of Yoruba Princess...we are all one...no evil will divide us....together we are stronger.
grin grin
gumbody tinz grin

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Ogunlayis, Blind Couple That Make Beads / Photo Album: Funny Wedding Pictures / Makeup Artiste, Onilogbo Hakeem Transforms Woman Into An Acid Burn Survivor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.