Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,165 members, 7,849,597 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 05:10 AM

Lawmaker Warns About Plot Against Speaker ! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lawmaker Warns About Plot Against Speaker ! (538 Views)

Tinubu Under Security Watch Over Alleged Plot Against Buhari / Soyinka Warns About Rivers State Crisis / Gaddafi Warns About Influx Of Millions Of Blacks Including Nigerians To Europe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Lawmaker Warns About Plot Against Speaker ! by wales(m): 9:07am On Apr 27, 2010
Members of the House of Representatives who want to use the acting president, Goodluck Jonathan, to create instability in the Assembly should desist from doing so in the interest of the nation, member representing Bagwai/Shanono Federal Constituency in Kano, Faruk Lawan has said.

Mr. Lawan, who spoke yesterday in Kano, said those who claimed they are plotting the removal of Mr. Bankole on behalf of Mr. Jonathan would not succeed. He said such persons will only create a crisis that is capable of affecting the political stability of the country.

“Those who want to use his name to create instability in the National Assembly should be mindful that whatever crises that would emanate from the legislature would have a negative effect on the stability of the polity and also on the stability of Nigeria,” he said.

“But then, those who are plotting this or those who are claiming to be doing this on behalf of the acting president are not fair to the acting president. I think what the acting president need now is the complete support of every member of the National Assembly because the country is passing through trying times.”

In need of stability

Mr. Lawan also said the impeachment plot would not succeed at this time, especially when the country is planning general elections.

“I know that anybody who thinks about removing the Speaker overnight should think twice, because some of us have been involved in the crises in the legislature in the last 11 years and when we speak about this issue, we know what we are talking about,” he said.

“Removing a presiding officer within a twinkle of an eye can be dirty, can be messy and it can be completely destructive and so the legislature does not require that at this moment of our national life.” The chairman of the House Committee on Education added that, as far he was concerned, the impeachment plot was just a rumour.

“Personally, I didn’t find such speculation valid,” he said. “I consider the rumour as mere speculations that have no basis because as a member of the House of Representatives, I am not aware of any action that has been taken by the Speaker that would warrant anybody to impeach him.

“I also believe that what the House needs now is stability because there are constitutional amendments before us. The Senate has already completed that exercise and it is up to the House to complete the process so that we can amend the constitution so that we can have credible elections in 2011.”

Link:
http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/Metro/Politics/5560366-147/lawmaker_warns_about_plot_against_speaker.csp

(1) (Reply)

Dear Acting President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan / Love Ibb / Youths Can Rule Nigeria, Obj Counters Ibb

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.