Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,066 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:43 AM

Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting (21556 Views)

Ohanaeze Sacks Eze Ndigbo Of FCT, Says Igbo Kingdom Can’t Be Established Outside / Chuogo Okoye Slumps And Dies (Eze Ndigbo Of Agege, Lagos) / Shadrach Erebulu, Adou: "I Don’t Allow Women To Wear Trousers In My Palace" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by Emycord: 7:52am On Mar 05, 2018
Mynd44:
Men need to stop trying to police what women wear, who put up the dress code?

If a man wore a wrapper there would they turn their backs

Patriarchy needs to die
SHUT UP IS IT YOUR CULTURE OR TRADITION CONCENTRATE ON YOUR BANNING JOB ON NAIRALAND

1 Like

Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by Adamummya(f): 7:52am On Mar 05, 2018
Jollymich:
Ala bu otu na ebenile. Igbo Mma mma nuo!

mma mma
Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by Emycord: 7:54am On Mar 05, 2018
Mynd44:

What if she isnt Christian?

Is christianity part of their culture?
AS IF ISLAN IS PART OF YOUR OWN CULTURE
Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by Nobody: 7:56am On Mar 05, 2018
Gggg102:

both men and women are not supposed to wear trousers at that meeting.
But men do wear trousers at ohanaze meetings always.
They are OK to borrow western culture but it's not OK for their ladies?. Is that not patriarchal and misogynistic?.
People are busy all over the world trying to look for ways to develop and live better profitable lives and some people are busy being busy body. In the next ten yrs let me see if this will still hold water. I love my igbo ladies. They can be very stubborn if they feel intimidation from their male folks.

1 Like

Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by Adamummya(f): 7:59am On Mar 05, 2018
Mynd44:
You have culture and tradition yet prayers were done to a western God.
Why didn't they pray to the traditional God?
because the western God is the true God. besides......a sensible Igbo woman shouldnt wear trousers to a meeting like that
Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by Gggg102(m): 8:05am On Mar 05, 2018
sassysure:

But men do wear trousers at ohanaze meetings always.
They are OK to borrow western culture but it's not OK for their ladies?. Is that not patriarchal and misogynistic?.
People are busy all over the world trying to look for ways to develop and live better profitable lives and some people are busy being busy body. In the next ten yrs let me see if this will still hold water. I love my igbo ladies. They can be very stubborn if they feel intimidation from their male folks.

if men are allowed to wear trousers, then it is wrong.

but from the story it is not stated if men wore trousers or not.
they could all have tied their wrappers.
who knows?

1 Like

Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by donbenie(m): 8:11am On Mar 05, 2018
Mynd44:

So they didn't see the trousers before they nominated her to pray?
They nominated her because of the trousers, because she shouldn't be confused for a man,she knows women do not pray in a gathering of elders..going ahead to pray is committing another issue..
Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by sweetgala(m): 8:12am On Mar 05, 2018
Probz:
Trousers fit the anatomy of females more than men.

Trousers do not fit any anatomy anywhere they were so designed for utility purpose.
Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by bukatyne(f): 8:13am On Mar 05, 2018
Honesty007:

Deuteronomy 22:5 .i support the ohaneze on their walking out on her.if traditional rulers are obeying the biblical directive of not wearing trousers where pastors have failed,then christians must be careful.women must not allow their emotion to lead them to hell.God is no respecter of persons.

Check my answer to Dj84
Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by Probz(m): 8:16am On Mar 05, 2018
sweetgala:

Trousers do not fit any anatomy anywhere they were so designed for utility purpose.
Go find any tribe where the ancient clothing includes trousers

That’s basically what I’m saying.

1 Like

Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by Gggg102(m): 8:17am On Mar 05, 2018
Honesty007:

Deuteronomy 22:5 .i support the ohaneze on their walking out on her.if traditional rulers are obeying the biblical directive of not wearing trousers where pastors have failed,then christians must be careful.women must not allow their emotion to lead them to hell.God is no respecter of persons.

who told you that trousers is men clothing?

do you know if you wear clothes wear they mix materials, it could lead to hell deut22:11

if you plant two different plants on the same field you can go to hell
deut22:9

children born out of wedlock cannot enter the assembly of God. deut23:2
Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by ewa26: 8:18am On Mar 05, 2018
Gggg102:

who told you that trousers is men clothing?

do you know if you wear clothes wear they mix materials, it could lead to hell deut22:11

if you plant two different plants on the same field you can go to hell
deut22:9

children born out of wedlock cannot enter the assembly of God. deut23:2

Hi hon, do Igbo men occasionally wear shimi underneath the wrappers, you know the one that hang from the waist
Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by ewa26: 8:19am On Mar 05, 2018
sweetgala:

hi Probz, em do ibo men occasionally wear half shimi underneath their wrapper?
Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by sweetgala(m): 8:19am On Mar 05, 2018
Winners72:
That is to tell you that doctrines like that of deeper life is the best and the world is beginning to know it now.

Doctrine that has been in existence before the conception of deeper life. Before Kumuyi was even conceived
Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by NOETHNICITY(m): 8:20am On Mar 05, 2018
Mynd44:

Patriarchy needs to die
Did u say this when Armada Firdaus was disallowed from passing out in law school cos of her hijab
Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by Gggg102(m): 8:21am On Mar 05, 2018
ewa26:

Hi hon, do Igbo men occasionally wear shimi underneath the wrappers, you know the one that hang from the waist

I don't know.

I'm not Igbo, I don't know much about their cultural wears.
Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by Mynd44: 8:27am On Mar 05, 2018
NOETHNICITY:
Did u say this when Armada Firdaus was disallowed from passing out in law school cos of her hijab
I said exactly the same thing

1 Like

Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by LastSurvivor11: 8:33am On Mar 05, 2018
Mynd44:

You have culture and tradition yet prayers were done to a western God.

Why didn't they pray to the traditional God?

For your mind u just rendered speech
So culture/tradition is the same thing with peganism in your shallow mind..
Lemme just assume that this is not how low ur IQ is undecided
Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by OAFMods: 8:38am On Mar 05, 2018
Mynd44:

Patriarchy needs to die

Why not go n kill it ?
Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by ifeanyija(m): 8:47am On Mar 05, 2018
Mynd44:
Yes. Next question?
welldone
Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by Xisnin(m): 8:49am On Mar 05, 2018
ybalogs:
It will surely serve as deterrent to others if a punishment is meted on her and not just boycotting her prayers. Tradition over civilisation any day.
The same tradition that has held your country backward.
I am even surprised they were praying in such a meeting, when an amadioha priest should have been invited.
Hypocrite, I am sure all your cloths are western.

1 Like

Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by ybalogs(m): 8:51am On Mar 05, 2018
Xisnin:

The same tradition that has held your country backward.
I am even surprised they were praying in such a meeting, when an amadioha priest should have been invited.
Hypocrite, I am sure all your cloths are western.
they actually thought she was from Amadioha lineage not knowing she don ja since she got to Lagos.
Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by Xisnin(m): 8:52am On Mar 05, 2018
Jackson619:
Culture is culture. It is meant to be obeyed
Hypocrite, how many times have you tied wrapper to work this week?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by NwaEzefuNaMba(m): 8:57am On Mar 05, 2018
bukatyne:
I understand the 'abomination' committed by wearing trousers....

I don't understand the 'abomination' of praying.

Were they riled that

1. She Wore trousers?.... Against their customs

2. Prayed in a gathering of men? ..... She was nominated

3. Praying in trousers?

I will say the woman knew the customs and should have abided or moved on.

It's strictly against the tradition of igbos for woman to pray or break kolanut in the gathering of men.

1 Like

Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by VERDA: 9:03am On Mar 05, 2018
Mynd44:

Is wearing trousers part of the tradition for men or inherited from the white men?

What is your point?,trying to understand what your question has to do with the comment I made, cos I never said anything about wearing trousers for men being a part of tradition.
Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by OyiboUgbo04: 9:13am On Mar 05, 2018
But why will a mother wear a trouser to a traditional gathering. A gathering that tend to promote and uphold the culture of the people, If they cant promote any other thing because i know they dont officiate the meeting in Igbo language let them at least promote our attire. what is wrong is wrong, the woman did not try. If she cant dress up like a proper Igbo woman let her stop attending the meeting.

1 Like

Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by JideAmuGiaka: 9:14am On Mar 05, 2018
Mynd44:

Patriarchy needs to die

He that breaks the hedge the serpent will bite.
Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by Probz(m): 9:32am On Mar 05, 2018
OyiboUgbo04:
But why will a mother wear a trouser to a traditional gathering. A gathering that tend to promote and uphold the culture of the people, If they cant promote any other thing because i know they dont officiate the meeting in Igbo language let them at least promote our attire. what is wrong is wrong, the woman did not try. If she cant dress up like a proper Igbo woman let her stop attending the meeting.

Why can’t the father figures dress like proper Igbo men either?

2 Likes

Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by crackhaus: 9:35am On Mar 05, 2018
Mynd44:

Patriarchy needs to die
And the best way to kill patriarchy is to flout rules at the risk of public embarassment?

If she didn't want to abide by the dress code, why go to the meeting in the first place? To show stubbornness?

1 Like

Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by emezuo17: 9:37am On Mar 05, 2018
Iam one of those who oppose Eze ndi igbo title any where outside igbo land, but the truth is, in a cultural or traditional gathering any where in the world, the peoples cultural/traditional wears is the best accepted form of dressing, in igbo land, r cultural gathering of igbos trousers for women is an aberration, education, civilization or not. Ngozi Okonjo Iweala. Late Dora Akunyili are all educated igbo women, even Chimamnda Adichie with all her feminisms' won't appear in such gathering in trousers.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

That Akwa -ocha Must Leave On / Kokoro Inu Eje (blood Diesease) / 2016 Ofala: Obi Of Onitsha Kicks Off Festival - Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.