Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,268 members, 7,954,042 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 11:20 AM

An Open Letter To Folorunsho Alakija For Accepting Oil Well By 'Faith' - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / An Open Letter To Folorunsho Alakija For Accepting Oil Well By 'Faith' (25778 Views)

Folorunsho Alakija And Her Husband, Modupe Separate After 30 Years Of Marriage / Folorunsho Alakija Adds To The Beautiful Skyline Of Lagos / Folorunsho Alakija Gorgeous In Native Wear, Poses With Her Numerous Awards (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: An Open Letter To Folorunsho Alakija For Accepting Oil Well By 'Faith' by Nobody: 10:15pm On Mar 04, 2018
I don't understand why her case alone is receiving so much attention. The reality is that many of the wealthy people in this country derived their wealth from or through the government. Oil blocks, import waivers, beneficial laws with insider knowledge, indirect monopolies, outright looting etc

When we learn to follow due process without fear or favor and punish those who refuse to comply, things will change.

Fact.
Re: An Open Letter To Folorunsho Alakija For Accepting Oil Well By 'Faith' by VolvoS60(m): 11:54pm On Mar 04, 2018
Yankee101:

No one would have given her that oil field if they thought it was viable. She was given a bad 'prospect' in the deep offshore when we had not yet fully even deployed offshore drilling in Nigeria. Dem give her marshland/wasteland.

There are oil field owners who lose money. Go and check. I can buy an oil field right now in the United States if I wish. But will it be viable? Most likely not. But that was the gamble she took. No one wants to talk about that risk.

When they finally hit oil the FG tried to collect it back under Obasanjo. She went broke fighting it to the Supreme Court. So shut your mouth if what you see and critisize is the final product and don't know what pressure the ingredients had to go through to become a beautiful cake. Shut your mouth!

^^^
Perhaps you could give a few details about how much was paid by Alakija in Naira and kobo for the OPL?
Re: An Open Letter To Folorunsho Alakija For Accepting Oil Well By 'Faith' by VolvoS60(m): 12:04am On Mar 05, 2018
delpee:
I don't understand why her case alone is receiving so much attention. The reality is that many of the wealthy people in this country derived their wealth from or through the government. Oil blocks, import waivers, beneficial laws with insider knowledge, indirect monopolies, outright looting etc

When we learn to follow due process without fear or favor and punish those who refuse to comply, things will change.

^^^^
You have a point. Her case is not an isolated one.

She is getting attention however, because she is 'preaching'. That is what stings so many ordinary Nigerians - a woman who benefited from an opaque OPL allocation under a corrupt military dictatorship is sermonizing about 'faith', hope and love grin. It rings damn hollow.

That is why she's under fire.

This national culture of 'man know man' in getting things done will continue to cost us dearly. It was the same thinking at work in Bi-Courtney getting a concession to build federal expressways during the Obasanjo administration - only for Babalakin/BiCourtney to start looking for non-existent funding after getting the concession. Which serious country or people do this sort of thing? That's why that expressway is still under construction today, nearly two decades later.

Big blind country. undecided

1 Like

Re: An Open Letter To Folorunsho Alakija For Accepting Oil Well By 'Faith' by omogidi234(m): 6:17am On Mar 05, 2018
Arondizuogu:

I hate Nigeria and Nigerians.. we seem to be stupid and bring God into everything. In fact STFU. This woman stole the nation's wealth and you are here writing nonsense. What did she do to merit an oil bloc.. ask questions why our collective wealth was squandered and you are being foolish.
PS: sorry for using bad words but you deserved it..

Well you can write anything you like, I did not make reference to her and her oil block even though that is the main discussion, I was interested in the discussion of people sleeping in church and expecting miracle and that's what I address with my contribution.
Re: An Open Letter To Folorunsho Alakija For Accepting Oil Well By 'Faith' by Firstcitizen: 6:39am On Mar 05, 2018
Queenext:
Only in Nigeria, absurd things are attributed to God.

Why attach God to a clear case of corruption, I really don't know when God is now supporting rubbish.

I am not hating on her,but her submission, would truly misled people, thinking that,spending countless times in church and prayer ground, expecting one nonsense miracle, spending manpower in pursuit of "come and see ,American wonder"

Madam,go siddon

You guys are quoting her out of context. She never said she got it by faith. She worked to get it(whatever way, work na work) but accepted a seemingly unproductive oil well with the faith that something good laid underneath.

Haba Nigerians....even with the plenty degrees no sense.
Re: An Open Letter To Folorunsho Alakija For Accepting Oil Well By 'Faith' by blackpanda: 7:40am On Mar 05, 2018
superhumanist:

Bro, you are the one exposing yourself as a poor and completely useless person.

Someone used corrupt means to own an oil block that is worth billions and you are here praising the corrupt woman and insulting her detractors.

Do you know what a billion naira can do for an impoverished community?

You are the kind of person that can vote a tyrant that will suppress your rights as long as the tyrant is rich.

Its just jealousy and envy thats worrying u. U dont know why or how she got her oil block. You are the typical wailing loser. Faceless hateful bigots!
Re: An Open Letter To Folorunsho Alakija For Accepting Oil Well By 'Faith' by Ituneth(m): 7:42am On Mar 05, 2018
Agreed
Re: An Open Letter To Folorunsho Alakija For Accepting Oil Well By 'Faith' by superhumanist(m): 7:58am On Mar 05, 2018
blackpanda:

Its just jealousy and envy thats worrying u. U dont know why or how she got her oil block. You are the typical wailing loser. Faceless hateful bigots!

We don't know how? You can see the level of your intelligence.

What we do know is that amateurs in the oil business don't just get to own or invest oil blocks. Big companies that have huge capital and experience with geology and oil are the ones that get the licences and contracts.

So explain how a seamstress with little capital (even by her own words, her original business failed) acquired an oil block through honest means.

Keep worshipping rich people that cheat you.
Re: An Open Letter To Folorunsho Alakija For Accepting Oil Well By 'Faith' by superhumanist(m): 8:00am On Mar 05, 2018
Firstcitizen:

You guys are quoting her out of context. She never said she got it by faith. She worked to get it(whatever way, work na work) but accepted a seemingly unproductive oil well with the faith that something good laid underneath.

Haba Nigerians....even with the plenty degrees no sense.

Which report or study deemed the oil wells unproductive? What did she see in the oil well that seasoned geologists and oil industry giants did not see?

Don't be gullible while insulting other people's intelligence
Re: An Open Letter To Folorunsho Alakija For Accepting Oil Well By 'Faith' by blackpanda: 8:01am On Mar 05, 2018
superhumanist:

We don't know how? You can see the level of your intelligence.

What we do know is that amateurs in the oil business don't just get to own or invest oil blocks. Big companies that have huge capital and experience with geology and oil are the ones that get the licences and contracts.

So explain how a seamstress with little capital (even by her own words, her original business failed) acquired an oil block through honest means.

Keep worshipping rich people that cheat you.

Like i said, u dont know!
Rather that spew hatred out of jealousy and envy, why not pray to God that favour locate u like it did her. Why u remain a wailing jobless loser, Mrs Alakija remains the richest woman in Africa!
U can stick that where d sun dont shine!! grin
Re: An Open Letter To Folorunsho Alakija For Accepting Oil Well By 'Faith' by BanevsJoker(m): 8:48am On Mar 05, 2018
HajimeSaito:
cheesy

I really feel sorry for this poor ignoramus. Maybe if she had a university education she would be smart enough to know that geology and not "faith", is responsible for her good fortune.

If you like you can have all the faith on earth, if geophysical analysis of your land doesn't indicate the existence of oil your faith will be as useful as a broken umbrella on a rainy day.
You are wrong. What does an illiterate tailor know about Geology? Corruption is responsible. How can you share a nations commonwealth to family and friends? Babangida is a huge part of Nigeria's problem today.
Re: An Open Letter To Folorunsho Alakija For Accepting Oil Well By 'Faith' by BanevsJoker(m): 8:57am On Mar 05, 2018
Yankee101:

No one would have given her that oil field if they thought it was viable. She was given a bad 'prospect' in the deep offshore when we had not yet fully even deployed offshore drilling in Nigeria. Dem give her marshland/wasteland.

There are oil field owners who lose money. Go and check. I can buy an oil field right now in the United States if I wish. But will it be viable? Most likely not. But that was the gamble she took. No one wants to talk about that risk.

When they finally hit oil the FG tried to collect it back under Obasanjo. She went broke fighting it to the Supreme Court. So shut your mouth if what you see and critisize is the final product and don't know what pressure the ingredients had to go through to become a beautiful cake. Shut your mouth!
Please, don't insult our collective intelligence. Your country's resources are being shared like personal property, and you are here supporting the beneficiaries. Don't you know what the world "Commonwealth" means? An oil block was handed over to her free, FREE. How can you lose money on something you got for free? Please, if you don't have anything sensible to type, go back to bed. No one with a real job, working to earn a living in this country will support this rubbish.
Re: An Open Letter To Folorunsho Alakija For Accepting Oil Well By 'Faith' by BanevsJoker(m): 9:00am On Mar 05, 2018
superhumanist:

Bro, you are the one exposing yourself as a poor and completely useless person.

Someone used corrupt means to own an oil block that is worth billions and you are here praising the corrupt woman and insulting her detractors.

Do you know what a billion naira can do for an impoverished community?

You are the kind of person that can vote a tyrant that will suppress your rights as long as the tyrant is rich.
Actually, it's worth trillions.
Re: An Open Letter To Folorunsho Alakija For Accepting Oil Well By 'Faith' by nocosomia: 9:01am On Mar 05, 2018
Please anyone with an oil well he/she is not using again, should please dash me.
Re: An Open Letter To Folorunsho Alakija For Accepting Oil Well By 'Faith' by Proudlyngwa(m): 9:10am On Mar 05, 2018
Yankee101:

Honestly I don't understand how this current group of nairaland users reason, if your post is the only reasonable one in the entire two pages.
I fear for Nigerian youths.
Re: An Open Letter To Folorunsho Alakija For Accepting Oil Well By 'Faith' by Yankee101: 9:20am On Mar 05, 2018
Proudlyngwa:

Honestly I don't understand how this current group of nairaland users reason, if your post is the only reasonable one in the entire two pages.
I fear for Nigerian youths.

After receiving a signature bonus, out of which Alakija was able to pay the balance of the license to the government, Alakija started working with her new partners. Chevron set up an office four months after signing the partnership contract, with Alakija holding on to 60% of the shareholding of the oil block and Chevron taking 40%. Chevron later sold an 8% stake to Petrobras in exchange for their deep offshore technical expertise.

https://www.cnbcafrica.com/news/west-africa/2016/09/17/africas-second-richest-woman/
Re: An Open Letter To Folorunsho Alakija For Accepting Oil Well By 'Faith' by Yankee101: 9:21am On Mar 05, 2018
BanevsJoker:

Please, don't insult our collective intelligence. Your country's resources are being shared like personal property, and you are here supporting the beneficiaries. Don't you know what the world "Commonwealth" means? An oil block was handed over to her free, FREE. How can you lose money on something you got for free? Please, if you don't have anything sensible to type, go back to bed. No one with a real job, working to earn a living in this country will support this rubbish.

After receiving a signature bonus, out of which Alakija was able to pay the balance of the license to the government, Alakija started working with her new partners. Chevron set up an office four months after signing the partnership contract, with Alakija holding on to 60% of the shareholding of the oil block and Chevron taking 40%. Chevron later sold an 8% stake to Petrobras in exchange for their deep offshore technical expertise.

https://www.cnbcafrica.com/news/west-africa/2016/09/17/africas-second-richest-woman/
Re: An Open Letter To Folorunsho Alakija For Accepting Oil Well By 'Faith' by superhumanist(m): 9:32am On Mar 05, 2018
blackpanda:

Like i said, u dont know!
Rather that spew hatred out of jealousy and envy, why not pray to God that favour locate u like it did her. Why u remain a wailing jobless loser, Mrs Alakija remains the richest woman in Africa!
U can stick that where d sun dont shine!! grin

I don't want that kind of favour that will make me rich on the wealth of others....the wealth of nation.
Re: An Open Letter To Folorunsho Alakija For Accepting Oil Well By 'Faith' by Firstcitizen: 12:30pm On Mar 05, 2018
superhumanist:

Which report or study deemed the oil wells unproductive? What did she see in the oil well that seasoned geologists and oil industry giants did not see?

Don't be gullible while insulting other people's intelligence

Assertions made out of assumptions is the display of gullibility that insults the intelligence of others. You nor I where there when the bids where made. The only information we both have is that she claimed that others rejected it. That is the only material we have to make comments with except you have other information which I presume you do not else you would have spilled it long ago, so please zip it.

You guys should stop this display of ignorance please.
Re: An Open Letter To Folorunsho Alakija For Accepting Oil Well By 'Faith' by blackpanda: 4:25pm On Mar 05, 2018
superhumanist:

I don't want that kind of favour that will make me rich on the wealth of others....the wealth of nation.

Story.
U aint impressing no one.
Re: An Open Letter To Folorunsho Alakija For Accepting Oil Well By 'Faith' by superhumanist(m): 7:23pm On Mar 05, 2018
Firstcitizen:

Assertions made out of assumptions is the display of gullibility that insults the intelligence of others. You nor I where there when the bids where made. The only information we both have is that she claimed that others rejected it. That is the only material we have to make comments with except you have other information which I presume you do not else you would have spilled it long ago, so please zip it.

Why should we accept her statement as true?

Oga, your sense is lacking
Re: An Open Letter To Folorunsho Alakija For Accepting Oil Well By 'Faith' by Firstcitizen: 9:12pm On Mar 05, 2018
superhumanist:

Why should we accept her statement as true?

Oga, your sense is lacking

Nobody asked you to accept her statement as true olodo. Just do not make assumptions without facts and stop quoting her out of context. Jeez! you guys are so dumb.
Re: An Open Letter To Folorunsho Alakija For Accepting Oil Well By 'Faith' by Nobody: 11:15pm On Mar 05, 2018
Firstcitizen:

My problem with Nigerian "success" stories is that there are often too many holes in them.

There is this podcast I listen to called "How I Built It" ( you can check it out on npr.com). The podcast interviews people that have started great companies from Instagram to Dyson to Dell. In these stories, you can always see the natural progression of they went from 0 to 100 - how they financed, grew, and overcame obstacles. The stories inspire and teach - but most importantly, they are honest.

Nigerian business people in the other hand would tell you plausible stories of how they made it e.g. one minute, I'm a seamstress, the next minute through "God's favour", the commonwealth of millions of people come into my possession, and I become a billionaire. Hallelujah!!

These our "billionaires" can lie to everyone about how they made it, convince some like you into repeating these watery stories , but in the end, when they look in the mirror, in a dark corner of their hearts, they know the truth, and it pinches, hence why they keep trying to convince everyone their hustle was legit.

In the end, you find that few of these so-called success stories become really iconic - Famfa is by no means a competitor to Oando or Sahara (also spotty companies), cos there was no real integrity and grit in building the company. If you doubt me, how many Nigerian-owned companies have exceeded two generations or 30 years max without coming to ruins?

Your Union Bank, FBN, Leventis were started by white people.

Let's celebrate local successes, yes - but only the kind that is built on true vision, hardwork, and honesty - the sort that elevates us all - not impoverishes the rest of our country-men.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: An Open Letter To Folorunsho Alakija For Accepting Oil Well By 'Faith' by superhumanist(m): 3:44am On Mar 06, 2018
Firstcitizen:

Nobody asked you to accept her statement as true olodo. Just do not make assumptions without facts and stop quoting her out of context. Jeez! you guys are so dumb.

You clearly said that her statement is the only material we have to comment on.

So you can lie like this?
Re: An Open Letter To Folorunsho Alakija For Accepting Oil Well By 'Faith' by Firstcitizen: 6:32am On Mar 06, 2018
superhumanist:

You clearly said that her statement is the only material we have to comment on.

So you can lie like this?

Yes that is the only material we have and you can disprove that statement with facts and not the typical Nigerian sentimental assumptions.Nobody is asking you to accept it. Just work around that statement except you other information which you clearly do not have, just the usual grudge of the poor against the rich. Goodbye

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

BREAKING: Nigeria Officially Exits Recession, GDP Grew 0.55 In Q2 / How Much Is One Bitcoin To A Naira / Checkout Today's Naira Exchange Rate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.