Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,964 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:40 AM

Igbos Growing Number Of Indigeneous Malls/shopping Plaza(photo) - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Igbos Growing Number Of Indigeneous Malls/shopping Plaza(photo) (2050 Views)

Enugu Government Shuts ShopRite, SPAR, Other Malls Over Failure To Remit Taxes / Fire At Kitchen Plaza, Yaba / Hilarious Shopping Plaza With Different Business Options (Caption Yours) Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbos Growing Number Of Indigeneous Malls/shopping Plaza(photo) by hornyofife: 5:17pm On Mar 05, 2018
I can remember vividly when Rudolf okonkwo wrote an article in 2012 on Sahara reporters about the end of Igbo business model. http://saharareporters.com/2012/07/03/end-igbo-business-model-rudolf-ogoo-okonkwo

He highlighted the threats shoprite and the new business model will pose to Igbo business men/traders. Looking back now, its years now and in my analytical mind, I have been asking, have the igbo business model died since then?
How far and fast have the igbos adapted and absorbed to the new business model?

Reading true comments on sahara reporter, many where of the opinion that igbos businessmen are to innovative to be threatened by Shoprite and that at worst, they will adopt the new model and chase shoprite out of Nigeria. There is a popular saying in Most french west African countries that, where ever you see the igbos, the chinese dont go there. Whatever that means, I dont know but I know for sure that south Africans are learners..what ever advantage they have over us, we will learn from them and use it against them...

In this thread, I will be showing pictures of Igbo indigenous malls/ mega plaza/ supermarket that have sprung up in the last 6yrs. They are mostly based in the southeast and outside the southeast and fast expanding.

I dont know all, picture submissions of indigeous mega super market/ plaza/ malls owned by igbos are welcomed
Re: Igbos Growing Number Of Indigeneous Malls/shopping Plaza(photo) by horsepower101: 5:19pm On Mar 05, 2018
I still remember that report like it was yesterday. Just how things can change overnight.

Unlike certain groups that hate competition, igbo culture embraces competition. Our culture hates monopoly. Everyone is a go getter.

If you tell igbos that they cannot overcome a challenge, give them time and see them surpass it with flying colors.

3 Likes

Re: Igbos Growing Number Of Indigeneous Malls/shopping Plaza(photo) by Deprofessional(m): 5:24pm On Mar 05, 2018
hornyofife:
I can remember vividly when Rudolf okonkwo wrote an article in 2012 on Sahara reporters about the end of Igbo business model. http://saharareporters.com/2012/07/03/end-igbo-business-model-rudolf-ogoo-okonkwo

He highlighted the threats shoprite and the new business model will pose to Igbo business men/traders. Looking back now, its years now and in my analytical mind, I have been asking, have the igbo business model died since then?

Reading true comments on sahara reporter, many where of the opinion that igbos businessmen are to innovative to be threatened by Shoprite and that at worst, they will adopt the new model and chase shoprite out of Nigeria. There is a popular saying in Most french west African countries that, where ever you see the igbos, the chinese dont go there. Whatever that means, I dont know but I know for sure that south Africans are learners..what ever advantage they have over us, we will learn from them and use it against them...

In this thread, I will be showing pictures of Igbo indigenous malls/ mega plaza/ supermarket that have sprung up in the last 6yrs. They are mostly based in the southeast and outside the southeast and fast expanding.

I dont know all, picture submissions of indigeous mega super market/ plaza/ malls owned by igbos are welcomed

Bring it on brother. I tell people everywhere I go that an average Igbo man has an instinct for survival.

2 Likes

Re: Igbos Growing Number Of Indigeneous Malls/shopping Plaza(photo) by hornyofife: 5:26pm On Mar 05, 2018
This of biggest kudos to Robans stores.. They took the bull by the horn, showed the way and right now, they have two branches in Enugu, one in Awka, one in Abakaliki and under construction in Onitsha and Owerri

Pix 1 Enugu branch

Pix 2 Awka branch

3 Likes

Re: Igbos Growing Number Of Indigeneous Malls/shopping Plaza(photo) by nzeobi(m): 5:26pm On Mar 05, 2018
people go to shoprite mostly to hang out. I don't see any one buying drugs, tyres /auto parts or building materials in shoprite.
Re: Igbos Growing Number Of Indigeneous Malls/shopping Plaza(photo) by hornyofife: 5:27pm On Mar 05, 2018
Let give another kudos to everyday supermarket...

They started small, I knew when they were in Ikenegu before moving to their bigger branch in world bank Owerri

2 Likes

Re: Igbos Growing Number Of Indigeneous Malls/shopping Plaza(photo) by hornyofife: 5:27pm On Mar 05, 2018
Re: Igbos Growing Number Of Indigeneous Malls/shopping Plaza(photo) by neezar: 5:40pm On Mar 05, 2018
Op nice one

You could av created this in politics section
Re: Igbos Growing Number Of Indigeneous Malls/shopping Plaza(photo) by hornyofife: 5:44pm On Mar 05, 2018
neezar:
Op nice one

You could av created this in politics section
the mods moves it...infact they blocked the first thread I created , now they have moved this to business....I will recreate it ...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbos Growing Number Of Indigeneous Malls/shopping Plaza(photo) by neezar: 5:47pm On Mar 05, 2018
hornyofife:
the modes move it...infant the blocked the first thread I created , now they have moves this to business....I will recreate it ...
I am not surprised, The super mod is a big bigot and his hatred for the igbos is so real

4 Likes

Re: Igbos Growing Number Of Indigeneous Malls/shopping Plaza(photo) by Ejanla07: 5:57pm On Mar 05, 2018
nice thread
Re: Igbos Growing Number Of Indigeneous Malls/shopping Plaza(photo) by naijacutee(f): 6:16pm On Mar 05, 2018
hornyofife:
the mods moves it...infact they blocked the first thread I created , now they have moved this to business....I will recreate it ...
To be honest, as a business mod and an Igbo person, I'm struggling to see the problem with this post being in the Business section.

Why should it be in the politics section? Is it about governance or about a certain type of business? Is the intention to look down on other tribes or discuss progressive business strategies that are viable in certain parts of the country?

Your answer to this should probably explain your reasoning (which we’re open to hearing) on which section suits this topic best.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbos Growing Number Of Indigeneous Malls/shopping Plaza(photo) by Ejanla07: 6:32pm On Mar 05, 2018
naijacutee:

To be honest, as a business mod and an Igbo person, I think that the business section is perfect for this post.

Why should it be in the politics section? Is it about governance or about a certain type of business? Is the intention to look down on other tribes or discuss progressive business strategies that are viable in certain parts of the country?

Your answer to this should probably explain your reasoning (which we’re open to hearing) on which section suits this topic best.

it should be in d politics section. this news is because of policies made by politicians.

we kno why we want it in politics section....
Re: Igbos Growing Number Of Indigeneous Malls/shopping Plaza(photo) by naijacutee(f): 6:38pm On Mar 05, 2018
Ejanla07:

it should be in d politics section. this news is because of policies made by politicians.

we kno why we want it in politics section....

Please can you explain why, for those if us not caught up in politics. We are all here to learn.
Re: Igbos Growing Number Of Indigeneous Malls/shopping Plaza(photo) by ArinzeRaph: 7:10pm On Mar 05, 2018
naijacutee:

To be honest, as a business mod and an Igbo person, I'm struggling to see the problem with this post being in the Business section.

you are not igbo !!

5 Likes

Re: Igbos Growing Number Of Indigeneous Malls/shopping Plaza(photo) by naijacutee(f): 7:25pm On Mar 05, 2018
ArinzeRaph:
you are not igbo !!

**ignored**
Re: Igbos Growing Number Of Indigeneous Malls/shopping Plaza(photo) by horsepower101: 7:26pm On Mar 05, 2018
We all know the real reason this thread was immediately moved to the business section. Nobody is a kid here.
Re: Igbos Growing Number Of Indigeneous Malls/shopping Plaza(photo) by Nobody: 7:41pm On Mar 05, 2018
horsepower101:
We all know the real reason this thread was immediately moved to the business section. Nobody is a kid here.
LMAO

Igbo amaka

cc lzaa yarimo anonimi
Re: Igbos Growing Number Of Indigeneous Malls/shopping Plaza(photo) by naijacutee(f): 7:55pm On Mar 05, 2018
hornyofife:

I believe that this thread is progressive as it shows that indigenous Igbo malls are fighting back the threat of large foreign supermalls destroying our sources of livelihood. What I'm struggling to understand is why a weather forecaster will say to a man "A storm is coming, and houses in this area will be destroyed". And the man's reaction is to look for which neighbours to quarrel with, rather than to start barricading the entrance to his house and his community.

I have read Rudolph Okonkwo's original post, but I can see the point he raises by citing foreign shopping malls as a threat, and I believe that what should be discussed here is progress and how to ride this wave, rather that what section this should be put in.

We live in a revolutionary age, and our generation has seen more change in the last 30 years than our grandparents saw over 70 years. Walmart was a disruptor and replaced mom & pop stores and put a lot of businesses out of business over something like a 20 year period. Over the last 15 years, while people were still lamenting Walmart, Amazon came and is now threatening to put Walmart out of business. This report from 6 days ago shows that Amazon is leaving Walmart behind in terms of growth: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/walmarts-e-commerce-slowdown-indicates-amazons-lead-is-growing-2018-02-26

What we fail to see is that both are American companies, and technology is what brings the disruption.

So what can we do about this?
I think we need to up our game on ICT education. People may create government policies that are unfavourable to certain groups, but no one can control what you teach your children. Technology is the biggest disruptor. Blockbuster must have thought that someone was after them when they refused to innovate, and lost market share to Netflix and Youtube overnight.

Whoever purchased Konga.com stands at an advantage to ride the wave of disruption before anyone of us wakes up. We can complain or we can build our digital infrastructure up. We can argue about posts on Nairaland, or we can take $100 online courses on programming and e-commerce and start building and investing in logistics, ecommerce, fulfillment and digital infrastructure in our areas.
Re: Igbos Growing Number Of Indigeneous Malls/shopping Plaza(photo) by LZAA: 8:15pm On Mar 05, 2018
imhotep:
LMAO
Igbo amaka
cc lzaa yarimo anonimi

Re: Igbos Growing Number Of Indigeneous Malls/shopping Plaza(photo) by LZAA: 8:18pm On Mar 05, 2018
neezar:

I am not surprised, The super mod is a big bigot and his hatred for the igbos is so real
myn...... grin grin
is this true?
cc imhotep grin

Re: Igbos Growing Number Of Indigeneous Malls/shopping Plaza(photo) by LZAA: 8:21pm On Mar 05, 2018
hornyofife:

umu igbo pls ignore the moving or non movement of the thread
the truth is like pregnancy it cannot be hidden
one thing is sha certain
some ppl's bp has shot up again grin grin
igbo amaka
cc imhotep nkwuocha Ngokafor

1 Like

Re: Igbos Growing Number Of Indigeneous Malls/shopping Plaza(photo) by ArinzeRaph: 8:24pm On Mar 05, 2018
naijacutee:

**ignored**
take heart dear. Absorb the pain small small.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Growing Number Of Indigeneous Malls/shopping Plaza(photo) by Ngokafor(f): 8:25pm On Mar 05, 2018
LZAA:

umu igbo pls ignore the moving or non movement of the thread
the truth is like pregnancy it cannot be hidden
one thing is sha certain
some ppl's bp has shot up again grin grin
igbo amaka
cc imhotep nkwuocha Ngokafor

Igbo Amaka.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbos Growing Number Of Indigeneous Malls/shopping Plaza(photo) by neezar: 8:37pm On Mar 05, 2018
LZAA:

myn...... grin grin
is this true?
cc imhotep grin
I tell u Bro
Re: Igbos Growing Number Of Indigeneous Malls/shopping Plaza(photo) by LZAA: 8:42pm On Mar 05, 2018
neezar:
I tell u Bro
choooi nawa o
Re: Igbos Growing Number Of Indigeneous Malls/shopping Plaza(photo) by neezar: 8:48pm On Mar 05, 2018
LZAA:

choooi
nawa o
He has banned almost all my accounts
Re: Igbos Growing Number Of Indigeneous Malls/shopping Plaza(photo) by naijacutee(f): 9:05pm On Mar 05, 2018
ArinzeRaph:
take heart dear. Absorb the pain small small.

Perhaps you need to look at my posting history, all the way back to 2006. I genuinely do not know what you’re talking about.
Re: Igbos Growing Number Of Indigeneous Malls/shopping Plaza(photo) by LZAA: 9:40pm On Mar 05, 2018
neezar:
He has banned almost all my accounts
na iwe tinz be dat o grin
Re: Igbos Growing Number Of Indigeneous Malls/shopping Plaza(photo) by ClumsyFlimsy: 9:42pm On Mar 05, 2018
Igbo amaka

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igbos Growing Number Of Indigeneous Malls/shopping Plaza(photo) by naijacutee(f): 7:28am On Mar 06, 2018
ClumsyFlimsy:
Igbo amaka

Amazing, where is this located? I always wanted to retire in a city in the East that is not too busy, like Asaba. Please tell me this is in Asaba lol.
Re: Igbos Growing Number Of Indigeneous Malls/shopping Plaza(photo) by ClumsyFlimsy: 7:36pm On Mar 06, 2018
naijacutee:

Amazing, where is this located? I always wanted to retire in a city in the East that is not too busy, like Asaba. Please tell me this is in Asaba lol.
Sorry to burst your bubble dear but it's not in asaba, neither is it in the east but it's belongs to an Igbo man

it's in lekki Lagos

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pls Help! I Can’t Send DM On Instagram / I Don't Know What To Do With#300000 / Starting A Diesel Delivery Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.