Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,753 members, 7,820,608 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:05 PM

Teachers, Before You Flog That Child....Listen - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Teachers, Before You Flog That Child....Listen (31667 Views)

As A Male Secondary Teacher, Will You Flog A Student That Has Big Breast/yansh? / 'No Be Say I No Go Pay! They Go Flog Tire' T-shirt For Warri Schoolgirl, Success / UNIOSUN Students: "Free Dr Sesan, He Didn't Flog Us We Were Only Catching Fun" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Teachers, Before You Flog That Child....Listen by Shaev7(m): 10:07pm On Mar 06, 2018
snowden9:
I'm a Batch A Stream 1 Corps member (Yea. Counting down weeks to my POP). I currently teach in a private school in rivers state. Nuff about all the intro. To the point now, shall we?
I experienced something today and I just thought i should share to all teachers(both corps members and full time teachers), intending teachers and intending corps members.

I had an SS1 economics class by 12pm and when I got to the class, few seconds in, the students didn't greet. I was expecting someone to save them and echo the routine class greeting so I wouldn't have to punish them (our proprietress have been sounding warning to us as of late to punish the students if we encounter any act of indiscipline from them. Not greeting a teacher qualified as an act of indiscipline). Someone finally called out for the class to greet. They all stood up to greet. Except one girl. I was a bit furious and i asked her why she didn't stand up and greet, she still bent her head on the desk without a reply and as expected, the 'Teacher dictator' in me(every teacher has it) wanted to call her out and give her some strokes of cane. I asked a student if the 'disobedient' girl was sick and the reply was 'No'. Now, i really got more pissed off and wanted to punish her but all of a sudden, i just ignored it, brushed it aside and went on with my teaching.

A few hours later, I was walking past the SS1 class and I saw a girl crying (a different girl),when I asked what happened, they told me one of their classmates mum that was pregnant lost her baby that's why she was crying. I came to know later that the other 'disobedient' girl of my economics class was crying at that time when I entered the class for the same reason that was why she didn't stand up to greet. On my own part, i had to praise myself for making the right decision not to punish her cos i know i wouldn't have been happy with myself if I had punished her and later found out that this was the reason why she didn't stand up to greet.

So my dear teachers, before you flog that student for coming late without listening to her reasons, do you know if she witnessed an altercation between her parents and she was the child trying to settle them? Before you flog him for failing, do you know if his guardian punished him by not feeding him all through yesterday just because he mistakenly broke a plate while washing? Meanwhile he had an exam to write the following day. Before you flog that child, do you know what's going on in the life of that child? Before you raise that cane above your head, ask yourself, 'Have i listened to this child?'

Listen.... It'll only take a minute.

Good. its not new, just that some teachers and corps members don't engage in counseling and understanding their students. Your encounter is exactly mine when I served, the only difference was, the girl lost her mum. So we need to understand pupils and students behaviours in class.

1 Like

Re: Teachers, Before You Flog That Child....Listen by KennedicalEnergy(m): 10:07pm On Mar 06, 2018
Good one

The great Stephen covey called it 'Seek first to understand, then to be understood.'

Always diagnose before you prescribe.

1 Like

Re: Teachers, Before You Flog That Child....Listen by Mypeople2(m): 10:08pm On Mar 06, 2018
pharmagba:
Let me share my experience as well why you should be careful how you flog

I served in Adamawa State and I teach the ss1- ss1 maths. I am a no nonsense maths teacher, however and in every way maths must enter their skull. In my class there are fathers, I mean the dad is in ss3 and his first child is in ss1. Forget the age disparity i no send i flog papa and child some even older than me. Anybody that fails my test or refuses to do assignment is punished. I was the touchest, most dreaded teacher, but ironically I was also the most loved, maybe because the student felt at the back of myheart was a genuine love for them to become great in life.
my disposition to flogging changed one day when there was crises in the community between the natives . All of a sudden a biggle sound was heard the students respectfully bow and said 'excuse sir ' one after the other and walked out of the classroom while I was still teaching . The 'excuse sir' was not a permission in the real sense because they weren't waiting for my approval at all. Those that have bicycle mounted their bicycle and rode swiftly those without bicycle ran.
later in the evening I saw my students both young and old with painted face and with guns, matt et te and axe like warrior on the street. Some their axes was dripping with fresh human blood!! Even I learnt that some when they throw the axe they don't miss the target even if the target is on a moving bike,
when the crises was over and school resumed my orientation of flogging changed completely, so these are not ordinary student but warriors and it does take a dime for one to aim an axe at me if he so desires.
Men! This your story,cold catch me oo See students o
Re: Teachers, Before You Flog That Child....Listen by Joislim(f): 10:09pm On Mar 06, 2018
You can't help using the cane at some point.
Re: Teachers, Before You Flog That Child....Listen by nuggarito: 10:14pm On Mar 06, 2018
Chukazu:

Indiscipline shouldn't be tolerated doesn't mean you start flogging a child at will.
There are other ways to punish a child not flogging... some parents won't take it lying low and they have got every right

Flogging is just demeaning!
I agree with you on the part that flogging a child at will is bad but I totally disagree with you on flogging demeaning

Flogging to me is the last resort to any punishment in essense flogging is the last bustop, back to the topic a child disrespecting a teacher or his elder ,there is no excuse to that irrespective of what has happened that's why you go to the military and they tell you obey before complain. Those words alone simply means you should put your sentiments aside and obey then after you can complain.

If it had happened this way that the student stood up and do what others did, a sensible teacher would ask questions why she had internal problems and not disobeying before the student starts giving reasons. Obedience is important no matter what, same as discipline.

1 Like

Re: Teachers, Before You Flog That Child....Listen by BIXYBABE: 10:22pm On Mar 06, 2018
okay
Re: Teachers, Before You Flog That Child....Listen by DrMuzungu(m): 10:23pm On Mar 06, 2018
Touch my kid, and I will touch you. If my kid misbehaves, report it to me, and I will handle it.
Re: Teachers, Before You Flog That Child....Listen by Gettreadyy(m): 10:24pm On Mar 06, 2018
pharmagba:
Let me share my experience as well why you should be careful how you flog

I served in Adamawa State and I teach the ss1- ss1 maths. I am a no nonsense maths teacher, however and in every way maths must enter their skull. In my class there are fathers, I mean the dad is in ss3 and his first child is in ss1. Forget the age disparity i no send i flog papa and child some even older than me. Anybody that fails my test or refuses to do assignment is punished. I was the touchest, most dreaded teacher, but ironically I was also the most loved, maybe because the student felt at the back of myheart was a genuine love for them to become great in life.
my disposition to flogging changed one day when there was crises in the community between the natives . All of a sudden a biggle sound was heard the students respectfully bow and said 'excuse sir ' one after the other and walked out of the classroom while I was still teaching . The 'excuse sir' was not a permission in the real sense because they weren't waiting for my approval at all. Those that have bicycle mounted their bicycle and rode swiftly those without bicycle ran.
later in the evening I saw my students both young and old with painted face and with guns, matt et te and axe like warrior on the street. Some their axes was dripping with fresh human blood!! Even I learnt that some when they throw the axe they don't miss the target even if the target is on a moving bike,
when the crises was over and school resumed my orientation of flogging changed completely, so these are not ordinary student but warriors and it does take a dime for one to aim an axe at me if he so desires.
you for continue... lol
Re: Teachers, Before You Flog That Child....Listen by being(m): 10:25pm On Mar 06, 2018
nanizle:
Flogging pupils under any circumstance should be criminalised. angry It is physical assault.

I know how that nonsense emotionally scarred me.

angry

No civilized society flogs their students.

angry
It scarred you?- Why are you so ridiculous?
Re: Teachers, Before You Flog That Child....Listen by highbee02: 10:26pm On Mar 06, 2018
snowden9:
I'm a Batch A Stream 1 Corps member (Yea. Counting down weeks to my POP). I currently teach in a private school in rivers state. Nuff about all the intro. To the point now, shall we?
I experienced something today and I just thought i should share to all teachers(both corps members and full time teachers), intending teachers and intending corps members.

I had an SS1 economics class by 12pm and when I got to the class, few seconds in, the students didn't greet. I was expecting someone to save them and echo the routine class greeting so I wouldn't have to punish them (our proprietress have been sounding warning to us as of late to punish the students if we encounter any act of indiscipline from them. Not greeting a teacher qualified as an act of indiscipline). Someone finally called out for the class to greet. They all stood up to greet. Except one girl. I was a bit furious and i asked her why she didn't stand up and greet, she still bent her head on the desk without a reply and as expected, the 'Teacher dictator' in me(every teacher has it) wanted to call her out and give her some strokes of cane. I asked a student if the 'disobedient' girl was sick and the reply was 'No'. Now, i really got more pissed off and wanted to punish her but all of a sudden, i just ignored it, brushed it aside and went on with my teaching.

A few hours later, I was walking past the SS1 class and I saw a girl crying (a different girl),when I asked what happened, they told me one of their classmates mum that was pregnant lost her baby that's why she was crying. I came to know later that the other 'disobedient' girl of my economics class was crying at that time when I entered the class for the same reason that was why she didn't stand up to greet. On my own part, i had to praise myself for making the right decision not to punish her cos i know i wouldn't have been happy with myself if I had punished her and later found out that this was the reason why she didn't stand up to greet.

So my dear teachers, before you flog that student for coming late without listening to her reasons, do you know if she witnessed an altercation between her parents and she was the child trying to settle them? Before you flog him for failing, do you know if his guardian punished him by not feeding him all through yesterday just because he mistakenly broke a plate while washing? Meanwhile he had an exam to write the following day. Before you flog that child, do you know what's going on in the life of that child? Before you raise that cane above your head, ask yourself, 'Have i listened to this child?'

Re: Teachers, Before You Flog That Child....Listen by being(m): 10:28pm On Mar 06, 2018
DrMuzungu:
Touch my kid, and I will touch you. If my kid misbehaves, report it to me, and I will handle it.
So you want every little irrelevant wrong doing that needs a simple smacking to be reported to you?- Hope you don't spoil your child unnecessarily!!!

2 Likes

Re: Teachers, Before You Flog That Child....Listen by Nobody: 10:29pm On Mar 06, 2018
I flog pupils if they disobey. I do that with caution though. Some of them are more stubborn in school than at home.
Flogging must be involved
Re: Teachers, Before You Flog That Child....Listen by highbee02: 10:29pm On Mar 06, 2018
Re: Teachers, Before You Flog That Child....Listen by SEMO007(m): 10:30pm On Mar 06, 2018
makydebbie:
My own teacher will tell us to say "Thank you sir, God bless you sir" after flogging us. Mr Kazeem. sad

Wickedness
embarassed
Re: Teachers, Before You Flog That Child....Listen by MAJORBANKZ(m): 10:30pm On Mar 06, 2018
makydebbie:
Shut up, these students are humans, they've feelings, they break down at some point. Things in the house affect them, imagine losing your sibling, will you be happy in school? You're an idiot.
just look at how u showed ur stupidity in a public domain. Your parents must have mistaken to have sent u to school
Re: Teachers, Before You Flog That Child....Listen by snowden9(m): 10:33pm On Mar 06, 2018
MhizzAJ:

You went to AFSS wow! What set?
AFSS PH 06/07 session. what about you?
Re: Teachers, Before You Flog That Child....Listen by Originalsly: 10:33pm On Mar 06, 2018
@Op...I'm not saying teachers shouldn't flog... but guy...you got furious?...because the girl didn't stand to greet? I do hope this incident will make you really think it thru before ever flogging a kid...and change your approach as a teacher. I salute you for having this one experience change your approach and not just continue slaughtering flogging the children like the others.
Hmmm....I'll have to open a thread on a related matter.
Re: Teachers, Before You Flog That Child....Listen by makydebbie(f): 10:42pm On Mar 06, 2018
MAJORBANKZ:
just look at how u showed ur stupidity in a public domain. Your parents must have mistaken to have sent u to school
Your English fit wake dead person. I can't deal.

3 Likes

Re: Teachers, Before You Flog That Child....Listen by Kennydoc(m): 10:44pm On Mar 06, 2018
snowden9:

Since her head was bent down, I'm sure if you had called her out to punish her, you would have seen her teary eyes which would have made you probe further. Ultimately, you wouldn't have punished her except you were a beast.
You made a good point sha. It's all about being understanding and considerate.
Re: Teachers, Before You Flog That Child....Listen by being(m): 10:53pm On Mar 06, 2018
I wonder what the thought process is in concluding children should not be beaten. The Bible says if you spare the rod, you will spoil the child!! it's that simple.
How many adults will look back and regret that they were beaten? Don't we forget it and joke about it? Sometimes the ONLY language of correction a child understands is usually beating. the punishment is fast and lesson is learnt swiftly. Pain is there- only for a moment but you have transmitted lifelong lessons.
You won't beat your children- don't destroy their lives.
Re: Teachers, Before You Flog That Child....Listen by MAJORBANKZ(m): 10:53pm On Mar 06, 2018
makydebbie:
oya grammarian correct my english
Re: Teachers, Before You Flog That Child....Listen by Nobody: 10:58pm On Mar 06, 2018
makydebbie:
You'll definitely need to use the cane as some point. So it's needed, just not for it to be a routine or something. When they're always late to school, you've to cane or punish them.
cane is a weapon to the body of students,it shouldn't be used. On tem,it like torture to their skin,there are other correctional means to use rather than flogging. It is modern day slavery to our selfs.

Give the child punishment,corpral punishment like frog jump,school/community service, etc.

Cane destroys the emotion of a child,they become broken.

We are Africans but must we be Africans?

3 Likes

Re: Teachers, Before You Flog That Child....Listen by MhizzAJ(f): 11:01pm On Mar 06, 2018
snowden9:

AFSS PH 06/07 session. what about you?

Awww

AFSS Ikeja
Class of 2012
Nice one

1 Like

Re: Teachers, Before You Flog That Child....Listen by makydebbie(f): 11:02pm On Mar 06, 2018
IjeleNwa:
cane is a weapon to the body of students,it shouldn't be used. On tem,it like torture to their skin,there are other correctional means to use rather than flogging. It is modern day slavery to our selfs.

Give the child punishment,corpral punishment like frog jump,school/community service, etc.

Cane destroys the emotion of a child,they become broken.

We are Africans but must we be Africans?
Go and teach for one month and come back to quote this. I can't argue.
Re: Teachers, Before You Flog That Child....Listen by Nobody: 11:08pm On Mar 06, 2018
makydebbie:
Go and teach for one month and come back to quote this. I can't argue.
I thought during NYSC,I thought for 1year after school...believe me,it is in you to decide what to do,I have this idea before I began teaching. I never flogged a child,even when icaught one making out in toilet.

Its because you saw it as a tradition,an african phenomenal that's why you flog.
My dear,u can change the status quo

1 Like

Re: Teachers, Before You Flog That Child....Listen by naturefellow(m): 11:11pm On Mar 06, 2018
jc4real:

They know you'll soon misbehave. They just want to flog you in advance.
:-)))

1 Like

Re: Teachers, Before You Flog That Child....Listen by MAJORBANKZ(m): 11:16pm On Mar 06, 2018
makydebbie:
why make gest of urself since you can not correct my spoken english. Just incase u not conscientize that english is just a language and not a measure or test for intelligence.
Re: Teachers, Before You Flog That Child....Listen by DonMekino(m): 11:22pm On Mar 06, 2018
Please if u have not dealt with teenagers n kids stop commenting...we talk of flogging and punishment as if the teacher enjoys it. I am a teacher n I hate flogging... But there r situations where u are forced to use it. Its just about the intensity n control applied.
To the poster...tomorrow another child will do the same thing n tell u the neighbors at home lost their dog n if u dara punish d child....d students will see it as partiality n u r eyeing d girl....be careful ooo especially with the behavior of d female students... Nice one though
Re: Teachers, Before You Flog That Child....Listen by churchee: 11:24pm On Mar 06, 2018
Spare the rod, spoil the child.
Re: Teachers, Before You Flog That Child....Listen by femipraiz(m): 11:32pm On Mar 06, 2018
Do you know that you just made me remember what happened when I was teaching at Ogbomoso.
There is this student that is so dull academically and I remembered flogging the hell out of Him one day...
A day came that he wasn't in school, I asked after him from his colleagues and I was told something show about this young boy. His classmates told me that He at the market(That day was the market day) they told me he is doing what Yoruba people call "Alabaru"(those that assist with carrying of load to get stipend from you) I was told he is the one paying his school fees has no one wants to assist Him.
I was told how he has been trying hard to know what i have been teaching and this almost brought tears to my eyes...

Teachers we are the parents of this young ones in school, let us have a listening ear..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Teachers, Before You Flog That Child....Listen by femipraiz(m): 11:37pm On Mar 06, 2018
Do you know that you just made me remember what happened when I was teaching at Ogbomoso.
There is this student that is so dull academically and I remembered flogging the hell out of Him one day...
A day came that he wasn't in school, I asked after him from his colleagues and I was told something shocking about this young boy. His classmates told me that He was at the market(That day was the market day) they told me he is doing what Yoruba people call "Alabaru"(those that assist with carrying of load to get stipend from you) I was told he is the one paying his school fees has no one wants to assist Him.
I was told how he has been trying hard to know what i have been teaching and this almost brought tears to my eyes...

Teachers we are the parents of this young ones in school, let us have a listening ear..

1 Like

Re: Teachers, Before You Flog That Child....Listen by okenwaa(m): 11:43pm On Mar 06, 2018
We chop cane wella
Na why we get sense 2day

Kids of nowadays.....smh!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

University Of Ibadan 2016/2017 Post Graduate Admission / What Song Comes To Your Mind - Photo / Oni Babajide Graduates As OAU Best Graduating Student with 4.86 CGPA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.