Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,587 members, 7,820,120 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:03 AM

Land Use Charge: Ambode Leads By Example - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Land Use Charge: Ambode Leads By Example (401 Views)

Melaye On His Way Out Of Senate As Smart Leads By Over 20,000 Votes: SR / As Ambode Leads Apc’s Assault Against PDP In Lagos / Land Use Charge: Ambode Getting Worse Than Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Land Use Charge: Ambode Leads By Example by yeankhar49: 11:12am On Mar 07, 2018
In a high-impact, melodious and informative one-minute video, the Lagos State Government is seeking to enlightening Lagosians more about the new Land Use Charge (LUC) Law while encouraging compliance.

The video features the Lagos State Governor, Mr. Akinwunmi Ambode, who in a classic case of leadership by example states that he has already paid his LUC for the year.

The Governor says: “I have just invested my quota by paying my Land Use Charge. And I ask all residents and citizens to join me by courageously making a decision for prosperity and pay their due taxes.”

Yet, at a Public event in Lagos on Tuesday, the Governor acknowledges the concerns by Lagos residents on the upwardly reviewed charge and posits that his government is open to dialogue with those who have reservations on the issue in order to find an amicable solution.

BACKGROUND:

The new Land Use Charge which derives its legitimacy from the Lagos State Land Use Charge Law 2018, cancels the payment of Tenement Rates. Indeed the new law has consolidated all Property and Land Based Rates and Charges in Lagos State. This implies that the Tenement Rates Law, the Land Rates Law, the Neighbourhood Improvement Charge and all other similar Property Rates or Charges, other Laws or amendments to any such property Laws have become abolished.

Owners of properties (in some cases, occupiers) are responsible for the payment of the LUC.

Properties are assessed to know their market value. A certain percentage of the market value of a property is then fixed as the annual land use charge.

Property assessment is classified under 3 broad categories. They are Commercial, Industrial/Educational and Residential usage.

Commercial properties generally attract a rate of 0.761% of the assessed Market Value.

Industrial/Educational properties are assessed at a rate of 0.255% of the assessed value.

Assessments of residential properties are classified into three, and each has its rate.

A property solely occupied by the owner for residential purpose is charged at a rate of 0.076%. A similar property occupied by the property owner and tenant(s) or third parties is charged at a rate of 0.255%. The third category is an investment property fully occupied by tenants or third party (ies) for revenue generation. This is charged at a rate of 0.761%.

PURPOSE OF THE REVIEWED LAND USE CHARGE

The population of Lagos keeps increasing. There is no let-up yet in the drift of people from rural areas and other states who are searching for greener pasture in Lagos.
The government therefore sees the need to increase its Internally Generated Revenue. One option it explored is to review the LUC.

Land Use Charge payment is benefit driven as it will further assist the State Government to provide more social amenities.

THE MESSAGE OF THE VIDEO

Governor Ambode by saying in the video that he has paid his own LUC positions himself as a leader who does not only show the way but also leads the way.

When Lagos residents see that their governor walks the talk, it becomes a strong motivation for the people to pay their taxes, of which the LUC is one.

The video further features a few residents of Lagos, among whom is the popular comedian, Gbenga Adeyinka, saying they have paid their own LUC. With a celebrity who has cult followership like Adeyinka endorsing the LUC, the message that the video intends to pass, is reinforced.

Lagos residents are further made to realise that taxes like the LUCs are sources of revenue to the government from which massive ongoing infrastructural developments all over the state are funded. They are informed that payment of the LUC as other taxes, is a civic responsibility of the government.

VIDEO STRENGTHS

The video's production value is high with crisp pictures and clear sound. The background music is relevant to the message of the video. The messages by the personae in the video are simple, short and straight-forward.

VIDEO WEAKNESS
The transition speed, particularly in the first 20 seconds, is too fast. That, however, in any way, did not vitiate the core essence of the message. In a high-impact, melodious and informative one-minute video, the Lagos State Government is seeking to enlightening Lagosians more about the new Land Use Charge (LUC) Law while encouraging compliance.

The video features the Lagos State Governor, Mr. Akinwunmi Ambode, who in a classic case of leadership by example states that he has already paid his LUC for the year.

The Governor says: “I have just invested my quota by paying my Land Use Charge. And I ask all residents and citizens to join me by courageously making a decision for prosperity and pay their due taxes.”

Yet, at a Public event in Lagos on Tuesday, the Governor acknowledges the concerns by Lagos residents on the upwardly reviewed charge and posits that his government is open to dialogue with those who have reservations on the issue in order to find an amicable solution.

BACKGROUND:

The new Land Use Charge which derives its legitimacy from the Lagos State Land Use Charge Law 2018, cancels the payment of Tenement Rates. Indeed the new law has consolidated all Property and Land Based Rates and Charges in Lagos State. This implies that the Tenement Rates Law, the Land Rates Law, the Neighbourhood Improvement Charge and all other similar Property Rates or Charges, other Laws or amendments to any such property Laws have become abolished.

Owners of properties (in some cases, occupiers) are responsible for the payment of the LUC.

Properties are assessed to know their market value. A certain percentage of the market value of a property is then fixed as the annual land use charge.

Property assessment is classified under 3 broad categories. They are Commercial, Industrial/Educational and Residential usage.

Commercial properties generally attract a rate of 0.761% of the assessed Market Value.

Industrial/Educational properties are assessed at a rate of 0.255% of the assessed value.

Assessments of residential properties are classified into three, and each has its rate.

A property solely occupied by the owner for residential purpose is charged at a rate of 0.076%. A similar property occupied by the property owner and tenant(s) or third parties is charged at a rate of 0.255%. The third category is an investment property fully occupied by tenants or third party (ies) for revenue generation. This is charged at a rate of 0.761%.

PURPOSE OF THE REVIEWED LAND USE CHARGE

The population of Lagos keeps increasing. There is no let-up yet in the drift of people from rural areas and other states who are searching for greener pasture in Lagos.
The government therefore sees the need to increase its Internally Generated Revenue. One option it explored is to review the LUC.

Land Use Charge payment is benefit driven as it will further assist the State Government to provide more social amenities.

THE MESSAGE OF THE VIDEO

Governor Ambode by saying in the video that he has paid his own LUC positions himself as a leader who does not only show the way but also leads the way.

When Lagos residents see that their governor walks the talk, it becomes a strong motivation for the people to pay their taxes, of which the LUC is one.

The video further features a few residents of Lagos, among whom is the popular comedian, Gbenga Adeyinka, saying they have paid their own LUC. With a celebrity who has cult followership like Adeyinka endorsing the LUC, the message that the video intends to pass, is reinforced.

Lagos residents are further made to realise that taxes like the LUCs are sources of revenue to the government from which massive ongoing infrastructural developments all over the state are funded. They are informed that payment of the LUC as other taxes, is a civic responsibility of the government.

VIDEO STRENGTHS

The video's production value is high with crisp pictures and clear sound. The background music is relevant to the message of the video. The messages by the personae in the video are simple, short and straight-forward.

VIDEO WEAKNESS
The transition speed, particularly in the first 20 seconds, is too fast. That, however, in any way, did not vitiate the core essence of the message.

Watch the video via
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn9ckFVZArs

By Paul Dada

lalasticlala Seun
Re: Land Use Charge: Ambode Leads By Example by chuksjuve(m): 11:32am On Mar 07, 2018
This man is deceiving himself and he has no one to tell him!!

Fraudulent Government!!

And those of you who would be quick to quote me in his defense..

Check to the meaning of ZOMBIE..
That's who you are !!

No apologies !!

FTC angry

No celebrations please
Re: Land Use Charge: Ambode Leads By Example by LaudableXX: 11:58am On Mar 07, 2018
Ambode is running a govt of extortion. sad I know someone who was paying 78,000 naira as land use charge last year, who has now suddenly been billed 361,000 naira for this year alone. Where is the difference going to come from? Ambode has the guts to say only 300,000 people are affected by this change in Land Use Charges. Really? Is he talking about 300,000 landlords or 300,000 citizens or what? Is he saying that there are only 300,000 houses in the whole of Lagos state? Does he realise that an increase in Land Use Charges, will automatically lead to a hike in rents?

All the nonsense calculations he is making about the assessed Market Value of a building, is highly subjective. angry A building's value is only determined by whether there is a willing buyer and a willing seller relationship in place. Who are those that even compute the market value of a building, and what are the parameters used to assess it? undecided

I know a landlord who offered up a 4-flat storey building for sale, in the suburbs of Lagos. His estate agent placed a price tag of 30 million on it, as the market value of buildings in that same area. He eventually sold it for 18 million, because that is what sellers were willing to pay. So tell me, what was the basis of the assessed market value of such a house?

(1) (Reply)

Anambra Monarch Drugged, Escapes Assassination Bid / Killings: Obasanjo Lays Wreath At Graveyard Of Benue Victims / Boko Haram: I Responded Better Than Jonathan, Says Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.