Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,180 members, 7,867,423 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 03:47 PM

Chairman’s Inaugural Address @ National Oil Spill Detection And Response Agency - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Chairman’s Inaugural Address @ National Oil Spill Detection And Response Agency (803 Views)

Oil Spill At Mafon, Idimu Due To Pipeline Vandals. / El-Rufai's Body Bag Threat And Response From International Criminal Court (Video / Text Of The Inaugural Press Conference By Bukola Saraki, DG PDP Campaign Council (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Chairman’s Inaugural Address @ National Oil Spill Detection And Response Agency by Howcomes(m): 10:43pm On Mar 09, 2018
CHAIRMAN’S INAUGURAL ADDRESS TO THE BOARD MEMBERS, TOP LEVEL MANAGEMENT AND ENTIRE STAFF OF NATIONAL OIL SPILL DETECTION AND RESPONSE AGENCY (NOSDRA) ON THE OCCASION OF INAUGURATION OF BOARD MEMBERS ON 9TH MARCH, 2018

Protocols:
- The President of Federal Republic of Nigeria, President Muhammadu Buhari, GCON
- The Vice President, Prof. Yemi Osinbanjo, SAN
- The Senate President, Dist. Senator Bukola Saraki
- The Hon. Speaker of the House of Representative, Rt. Hon. Yakubu Dogara
- The APC National Leader, Sen. Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu
- The Chairman, All Progressives Congress & his EXCO Members here present
- The APC National Vice Chairman, South West, Chief P.O. Akinyelure
- The Chairman, Senate Committee on Environment, Senator Oluremi Tinubu
- The Chairman, House Committee on Environment, Hon. Obinna Chidoka
- The Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Barr. Boss Mustapha, Esq
- The Hon. Minister of Environment, here present
- His Excellency, the Executive Governor of Ondo State, Arakunrin, Odunayo Akeredolu, SAN
- His Excellency, the Executive Governor of Ogun State, Dist. Senator Ibikunle Amosun, FCA
- His Excellencies – All APC Governors or their representatives, here present
- The Director General of NOSDRA, here present
- Top level Management Staff of NOSDRA, here present
- APC Party Leaders, here present
- Representatives of Communities in Niger Delta Region, here present,
- Gentlemen of the Press,
- Distinguished Ladies and Gentlemen,
- All other Protocols duly observed

I am highly delighted to be appointed by Mr. President of Federal Republic as the Board Chairman of National Oil Spill Detection and Response Agency, (NOSDRA) via a Presidential Order/Directive announced on 29th December, 2017 and published in various news media across the Nation.

Today 9th March, 2018 marks the inauguration ceremony of the Board Members of NOSDRA and I wish to use this medium to express my sincere appreciation to Mr. President and his Vice, for this Leadership role bestowed on me and my other Board Members to reposition the Agency for better performance in meeting its statutory responsibilities to the generality of Nigerians especially those in the Niger Delta region.

I wish also to use this medium to welcome all members of the Governing Board of NOSDRA, who are representatives of key Federal Ministries at Directorate level, whose appointment as Board Members of NOSDRA is Statutory in line with Section 2(b) of NOSDRA Establishment Act 2006.
I strongly believe that my humble self, as the Chairman of the Board, along with other 17 Board Members drawn from various Federal Ministries not below the rank of Director and Director General/CEO of the Agency as Secretary to the Board, have big challenges and roles to play to reposition the Agency for better performance.

Therefore, I wish to state that this is a call to service by Mr. President to deliver on our mandate to meet the aspirations and expectations of Nigerians for establishing this important Agency ab-initio, particularly the people of Niger Delta regions where oil spillage has been the order of the day in their various communities over the years without adequate compensation by the operators in line with international standards and best practices.

To rise up to this challenges and make a big difference during our tenure as Board members through my Leadership as the Chairman, the new Board among others will:

 Focus attention on Staff welfare and development because, this is a key budget factor to be given priority attention to get things done in efficient ways to achieve best results for the Agency;

 Reposition the Agency for better performance of its statutory responsibilities;

 Pursue the present administration’s policy of Zero tolerance to corruption;

 Develop policies that will lead to improved internal revenue generation from its activities, to meet its loaded financial responsibilities for effective implementation of its Statutory functions;

 Ensure strict adherence to provisions of NOSDRA Act by operators in the oil industries for prompt settlements of communities affected by oil spillage activities, now and in the past, in line with international standards and best practices.

 Ensure that NOSDRA Act is enhanced with necessary amendments in the National Assembly for better delivery of its Statutory functions to the Nation at large;

 Ensure staff promotion and re-organisation for better performance through effective training and development programmes both local and international;

 Ensure that trained professional Staff are given responsibilities in their specialized departments within the Agency for improved productivity and performance to move the Agency to greater heights of development;

 Ensure that working environment in all NOSDRA State Offices across the Nation and Headquarter complex in Abuja are conducive for better delivery of its professional services by member of Staff at all levels;

 The board will also formulate policies, that will lead to effective monitoring of Ogoni clean up project in line with Agenda of the present Administration;

 In recent times, information at my disposal reveals that there are more than forty (40) oil spillages matters in various federal High Courts within the Federation unresolved, which further heightens the tensions and pains experienced by our people in the Niger Delta region, such that it has now become a norm for International Oil Companies operating in the region to pollute the areas with impunity because of no adequate sanctions in line with International best practices. The Board under my leadership will do everything possible to stop further impunity in the Niger Delta Region

 The Board will also as a matter of priority focus attention on how Bonga Oil Field Oil Spillage of 2011, JS Amazon Oil Spills of 2009 among others will be resolved out of Court for settlements to be made to affected communities without further delay.

 Above all, the Board under my Leadership, will ensure that, there is equity and fairness among staff treatment, training and development to get the best out of its workforce at all times during our tenure as Board Members of NOSDRA.

Once again, I want to thank Mr. President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria for the confidence reposed on me and other Board Members to serve our great Nation in this capacity, and we promise, we shall deliver on our mandate.

Finally, I use this medium to seek the cooperation of the Hon. Minister of Environment, the Director General and all the members of Management team of the Agency for quick achievement of the goals and objectives of the Agency to serve the country better in all ramifications.

Once again, I say thank you all and welcome all my colleagues on Board, to serve and to add great value to the Nation, Nigeria.

Dist. Senator Ayo Akinyelure, MMP(UI), FCA, FCTI, FPA
Chairman, Governing Board (NOSDRA)
9th March, 2018

Long live, the Federal Republic of Nigeria

Long live NOSDRA
Source:https://web.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=500741336994011&id=449245405476938

(1) (Reply)

Even Flies Are Facing Hardship In Nigeria. / Injured Gov Bello Attends Aso Villa Meeting With Crutches [VIDEO] / FFK Claim On Terrorism Used As Example Of Fake News In YaliLearns

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.