Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,772 members, 7,817,143 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:01 AM

In The 1980s, Italy Paid Koko, A Nigeria Town $100 A Month To Store Toxic Waste - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / In The 1980s, Italy Paid Koko, A Nigeria Town $100 A Month To Store Toxic Waste (27120 Views)

Independence Day Celebrations Of The 1970s And 1980s (Videos and Memories). / Orji Uzor Kalu's Throwback Photo In 1980s / Chinua Achebe And Fela Kuti In The 1980s (Throwback Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: In The 1980s, Italy Paid Koko, A Nigeria Town $100 A Month To Store Toxic Waste by ReneeNuttall(f): 3:18pm On Mar 10, 2018
I heard that after the dumping, pregnant women started giving birth to babies with defects, some with two heads,3 limbs etc.
Re: In The 1980s, Italy Paid Koko, A Nigeria Town $100 A Month To Store Toxic Waste by StaffofOrayan(m): 3:22pm On Mar 10, 2018
Quite sad, these days we pay money for electronics and clothes destined for the incinerators of Europe, America and Asia, we have been thoroughly destroyed so much that our politicians can't wait to go stash money in Europe!

2 Likes

Re: In The 1980s, Italy Paid Koko, A Nigeria Town $100 A Month To Store Toxic Waste by Nobody: 3:31pm On Mar 10, 2018
Xisnin:
Some Nigerians will sell their parents for a dollar.
I know many will blame the Italian while excusing the Nigerians
who traded the lives of their compatriots for peanut.
This is the same scenario that played out during the slave trade,
brothers were selling their brothers for gunpowders and mirrors.

During the slaves trade the white never force the black to sale their children, brothers, sisters, etc. The black never fight for the abolishment of slave trade, so there's nothing new! Even the present day black man will sale this country then become slave to the white man!!!
Re: In The 1980s, Italy Paid Koko, A Nigeria Town $100 A Month To Store Toxic Waste by petluva: 3:32pm On Mar 10, 2018
How did the Italians or Europeans compensate Nigeria and the affected community?

1 Like

Re: In The 1980s, Italy Paid Koko, A Nigeria Town $100 A Month To Store Toxic Waste by redsun(m): 3:33pm On Mar 10, 2018
What is the cancer and deformity rate of that area in relation to the rest of the jungle.That,plus the indelible oil pollution cause by the so-called Nigerian government and their foreign cohorts must make that place too hazardous for normal humans to inhabit
Re: In The 1980s, Italy Paid Koko, A Nigeria Town $100 A Month To Store Toxic Waste by deafeyez: 3:45pm On Mar 10, 2018
Our mumu don tey.
grin
Re: In The 1980s, Italy Paid Koko, A Nigeria Town $100 A Month To Store Toxic Waste by muhammadmuqtada(m): 3:51pm On Mar 10, 2018
am in love with the koko
Re: In The 1980s, Italy Paid Koko, A Nigeria Town $100 A Month To Store Toxic Waste by HAminat(f): 3:53pm On Mar 10, 2018
This led to the establishment of FEPA. Proudly Environmental Engineer
Re: In The 1980s, Italy Paid Koko, A Nigeria Town $100 A Month To Store Toxic Waste by Nobody: 4:00pm On Mar 10, 2018
olaboy1:
That’s how Europeans are, it’s in their DNA and they will never change from the rulership mentality of their fore fathers.
You see them donating money to Africa like they give a sh$t about us.

Denmark is currently trying to pass a law where they will have a facility or colony in North Africa to send their asylum seekers to and even when they are granted asylum they still can’t move to Denmark. Africa needs to wake up and use the social media to name and shame countries dragging us down. One wonders why Denmark is not considering Switzerland or Australia as the dumping ground of asylum seekers.

We need to learn how to maximize our resources and eat what we produce and forget about European aids, they think so lowly of Africans and we shouldn’t entrust our lives into their hands.

One day I believe Africa will rise.

You make it sound like denmark owes the asylum seekers. They can wake up and not want refuges anymore. Believe me, the Europeans are not our problem. they are after their own survival, and would sacrifice anybody to achieve it. they owe us nothing. our problem is internal. leadership has failed us. Until we look inward and solve our problems, Africa ll always be the armpit of the world.

7 Likes

Re: In The 1980s, Italy Paid Koko, A Nigeria Town $100 A Month To Store Toxic Waste by Born2Breed(f): 4:01pm On Mar 10, 2018
Koko that year.

BTV and NTA Benin was always warning everyone about the effect of D toxic waste.
Re: In The 1980s, Italy Paid Koko, A Nigeria Town $100 A Month To Store Toxic Waste by planetx: 4:07pm On Mar 10, 2018
deepwater:
It was a simple case of dangerous goods not stored with any form of compliance.

Till today, we still use Dangerous goods without knowing, if only the Italians shared and explained the MSDS to the lot owner it wouldn't have been much a problem.

Many people in Nigeria today still sleep under ceilings made from coagulated asbestos dust undecided
Everyday we get exposed to radioactive sources without knowing.

Bottom line is if you are knowledgeable and trained to handle this stuff u will be fine. in my line of duty I ensure these are the last skips loaded on my deck before i set sail and the first to be removed upon arriving the installation.

Why didn't they handle the stuff in Italy, why ship the chemicals all the way to Africa. Since you think its no big deal that they should just have trained the locals in how to handle it, why not let them drop it in your compound and teach you how to handle it. A lot of people died from that episode and you are saying it was no big deal.

3 Likes

Re: In The 1980s, Italy Paid Koko, A Nigeria Town $100 A Month To Store Toxic Waste by olaboy1: 4:28pm On Mar 10, 2018
dicefrost:

You make it sound like denmark owes the asylum seekers. They can wake up and not want refuges anymore. Believe me, the Europeans are not our problem. they are after their own survival, and would sacrifice anybody to achieve it. they owe us nothing. our problem is internal. leadership has failed us. Until we look inward and solve our problems, Africa ll always be the armpit of the world.

So asylum seekers from Nepal and Afghanistan should all be dumped in Africa?
Re: In The 1980s, Italy Paid Koko, A Nigeria Town $100 A Month To Store Toxic Waste by lanocfoods: 5:09pm On Mar 10, 2018
African has always and is still a dumping ground for the western world even common India they ship expired drugs to Africa embarassed

1 Like

Re: In The 1980s, Italy Paid Koko, A Nigeria Town $100 A Month To Store Toxic Waste by SouthEastFacts: 5:12pm On Mar 10, 2018
Okoroawusa:

Delta state

Then it was called Bendel State

I think IBB was the head of state then.His response to the crisis was top notch but by then people had started dieing with severe sicknesses.

Ignorance on the part of citizens n govt caused it all

Forget about the Basel Convention, European nations r still sending their toxic waste to Africa but in a subtle manner.
Thank God IBB was President. OYO for be Koko portion if na this government the calamity happen.
Re: In The 1980s, Italy Paid Koko, A Nigeria Town $100 A Month To Store Toxic Waste by obialinaeze(m): 5:48pm On Mar 10, 2018
Okoroawusa:

Delta state

Then it was called Bendel State

I think IBB was the head of state then.His response to the crisis was top notch but by then people had started dieing with severe sicknesses.

Ignorance on the part of citizens n govt caused it all

Forget about the Basel Convention, European nations r still sending their toxic waste to Africa but in a subtle manner.
we also koko here in kebbi state. Koko bessee local government.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: In The 1980s, Italy Paid Koko, A Nigeria Town $100 A Month To Store Toxic Waste by geezynoni: 5:57pm On Mar 10, 2018
and it's happening again?
Re: In The 1980s, Italy Paid Koko, A Nigeria Town $100 A Month To Store Toxic Waste by kcreativeme: 6:15pm On Mar 10, 2018
Xisnin:
Some Nigerians will sell their parents for a dollar.
I know many will blame the Italian while excusing the Nigerians
who traded the lives of their compatriots for peanut.
This is the same scenario that played out during the slave trade,
brothers were selling their brothers for gunpowders and mirrors.

On point Sir. Greed has always been our problem in Africa since the days of our forefathers. Foreigners have known this and have capitalized on this.
Ever wondered why it was difficult to colonize Ethiopia? The Europeans didn't find a puppet and greedy traitor who wanted to become King or Emperor.

4 Likes

Re: In The 1980s, Italy Paid Koko, A Nigeria Town $100 A Month To Store Toxic Waste by Tmemzi: 6:51pm On Mar 10, 2018
Good one!!!!

Why dem no dump am for one village for italy? angry u ship poison all the way from Italy to delta state.. wicked soul. Something that can affect the soil biotic structure and make it barren.. Something that can wipe out the entire village, the aquatic community and so on. Thank God it brought about the set up of environmental protection agency (EPA)

Proud Environmentalist[/quote]
Re: In The 1980s, Italy Paid Koko, A Nigeria Town $100 A Month To Store Toxic Waste by Tmemzi: 6:53pm On Mar 10, 2018
Bastards
Re: In The 1980s, Italy Paid Koko, A Nigeria Town $100 A Month To Store Toxic Waste by Okoroawusa: 7:27pm On Mar 10, 2018
obialinaeze:
we also koko here in kebbi state. Koko bessee local government.
This one is in Delta
Re: In The 1980s, Italy Paid Koko, A Nigeria Town $100 A Month To Store Toxic Waste by Okoroawusa: 7:29pm On Mar 10, 2018
BrutalJab:
old man wey im whole existence depends on Nairaland. I hail o.
But learn to dey close ur mouth at times.
I wish u the same
Re: In The 1980s, Italy Paid Koko, A Nigeria Town $100 A Month To Store Toxic Waste by Nowenuse: 7:29pm On Mar 10, 2018
olaboy1:
That’s how Europeans are, it’s in their DNA and they will never change from the rulership mentality of their fore fathers.

Denmark is currently trying to pass a law where they will have a facility or colony in North Africa to send their asylum seekers to and even when they are granted asylum they still can’t move to Denmark. Africa needs to wake up and use the social media to name and shame countries dragging us down. One wonders why Denmark is not considering Switzerland or Australia as the dumping ground of asylum seekers.

We need to learn how to maximize our resources and eat what we produce and forget about European aids, they think so lowly of Africans and we shouldn’t entrust our lives into their hands.

As much as I blame the Europeans, I still give a large chunk of the blame to our people for being a very stupid and foolish race. We have refused to learn for so long now.
Look at many Asian countries who were as poor and extremely underdeveloped as us decades ago, today they are doing far better, making steady progress and rapidly catching up with the west.
How many African countries are really progressing?

I think we deserve whatever shitt we get. Enough of blaming the Europeans.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: In The 1980s, Italy Paid Koko, A Nigeria Town $100 A Month To Store Toxic Waste by emmahoney(m): 7:31pm On Mar 10, 2018
oliidell:
The Koko incident is very pathetic but historically significant in Nigeria's Environmental campaign. It led to the establishment of the Federal Environmental Protection Authority-now Federal Ministry of Environment and was one of the globally acknowledged incidents that triggered the Basel Convention on the control of transboundary movement of hazardous waste.
I could see that you have the knowledge of Environmental Science. However, Nigeria still remains dump site for e-waste as a result of digital divide.
Re: In The 1980s, Italy Paid Koko, A Nigeria Town $100 A Month To Store Toxic Waste by laidima88(m): 7:33pm On Mar 10, 2018
Ibo people and money sha
Re: In The 1980s, Italy Paid Koko, A Nigeria Town $100 A Month To Store Toxic Waste by writeprof(m): 8:15pm On Mar 10, 2018
geezynoni:
and it's happening again?

Yes. That is the reason for the history. Many posts seem to be missing the link. What are the Itsekiri people doing to prevent a reoccurrence? Koko is a LGA hqtr of one of the three Itsekiri LGAs in Delta state. Today, Koko and surrounding villages are like deserted communities so it is very very possible for waste to be dumped there again and again with the connivance of unscrupulous elders and youths reeling under a harsh economy worsened by their selfish leaders who are busy acquiring cars and houses for showmanship.

2 Likes

Re: In The 1980s, Italy Paid Koko, A Nigeria Town $100 A Month To Store Toxic Waste by kunletexs: 8:53pm On Mar 10, 2018
Seriously, the then govt took it upon herself to be swift with the decision to tackle the Italians unlike what we have today, slow motion government.

They would first tell president, president would tell senate, they would form a committee, who would then move send the minister of environment. He would now select, budgets and schedule a time to go. When they are now to go, money for trip, presido no release, ..... The list goes on. 3 years they never see report or pple. Hey, trouble dey o.
Re: In The 1980s, Italy Paid Koko, A Nigeria Town $100 A Month To Store Toxic Waste by obibanks: 9:10pm On Mar 10, 2018
When it comes to environmental degradation, everybody residing in Port Harcourt should be scared about what we are living with. I really wanna escape
Re: In The 1980s, Italy Paid Koko, A Nigeria Town $100 A Month To Store Toxic Waste by nograv: 9:13pm On Mar 10, 2018
olaboy1:

Thank you my brother, it is nice to see that some of us have awoken..

If they make this waste then they should keep it. There are so many foreign abuses on Nigerian soil it isnt funny. Till today Russian and Chinese Trawlers steal our fish with impunity to sell to us and their own people for profit. We sit there and let it happen..

Foreigners like come to Naija to rob the country blind flouting every law and we allow it. They would never allow a Naija man to do business let alone live in peace in their country yet we allow this foolishness in ours..

We need better politicians jare..

1 Like

Re: In The 1980s, Italy Paid Koko, A Nigeria Town $100 A Month To Store Toxic Waste by obialinaeze(m): 9:47pm On Mar 10, 2018
Okoroawusa:

This one is in Delta
ok
Re: In The 1980s, Italy Paid Koko, A Nigeria Town $100 A Month To Store Toxic Waste by Opoki(m): 9:48pm On Mar 10, 2018
Thunder fire Sunday Nana, the name sounds Ghanaian brothers self
Re: In The 1980s, Italy Paid Koko, A Nigeria Town $100 A Month To Store Toxic Waste by Oxtertee(m): 9:49pm On Mar 10, 2018
anibirelawal:
Which part of the country is KOKO
Koko is an island in delta state.
Re: In The 1980s, Italy Paid Koko, A Nigeria Town $100 A Month To Store Toxic Waste by ehinmowo: 9:49pm On Mar 10, 2018
The worst part is till today, Nigeria govt don't knw d chemical content of that waste (ignorant black nation)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fake INEC Officials Busted By Security Operatives In Rivers (Photos) / Women Storm Aba In Support Of Ikpeazu, Lampoon Anti-Governor Protesters (Photos / Governor Zulum,senator Ndume Visits Bola Tinubu (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.