Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,107 members, 7,814,886 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:08 PM

Herdsmen Killings: What Obasanjo Said At Benue Graveside - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Herdsmen Killings: What Obasanjo Said At Benue Graveside (1818 Views)

Fulanis Pray At Usmanu Danfodio Graveside In Sokoto (Photos) / 25 Things Obasanjo Said About Buhari, Osinbajo And INEC Today / What Obasanjo Said About Atiku In 2015 (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Herdsmen Killings: What Obasanjo Said At Benue Graveside by 6Ebisco: 7:27pm On Mar 10, 2018
Former President, Olusegun Obasanjo has described the killing of innocent Nigerians by suspected Fulani herdsmen as senseless.

The former president expressed sadness over the gruesome murder of Benue people in their homes by the herdsmen, saying it was shocking.

He was received at the Makurdi Airport by Governor Samuel Ortom and members of his cabinet on Saturday morning.

The Governor led him straight to the graveside of the Benue 73 who were massacred by herdsmen on New Year Day in Logo and Guma local government areas of the state located at Genabe village.

The former President said he was in the state to pay a condolence visit and to express his sorrow over the killings.

Obasanjo said, “It is sad beyond description and that is why I have taken it upon myself, having been to Maiduguri where we had a meeting of Zero Hunger Forum. If circumstances were normal, the Benue governor would have been with us.

“So, I am here to pay a condolence visit and share the sadness of Benue people with them.

“I felt coming to the graveside and laying a wreath will express my sorrow and my sympathy and empathy with the family, the Governor, all the people of the state and indeed, all Nigerians without any exception. A Nigerian life lost is loss to all of us.

“Hearing that aside the 73 buried here, more than 80 others have been killed in different parts of Benue is even more shocking to I believe it will be more shocking to all Nigerians who will be hearing that. There is no doubt that we haven’t got it right. We haven’t got it right because whatever is behind this, normally in any civilized society we must get to the root of it.

“And until we get to the root of this we will be burying victims. We will be assuming what is not assumable, because we must know why is this happening and who we must put and end to it. And somebody must accept the responsibility to put an end to this. If it has to be a collective responsibility, then so be it. But there must be an end to it.”

“We cannot talk of a free country, a secure country, a country where we will want development to take place, where we will want to invite investors from outside and from inside and we are suffering this type of senselessness.

“I do hope that there would be an end to this. Gorvernor, please accept my condolence and do not give up trying to work with men and women that have the interest of this state and the interest of Nigeria at heart to find a permanent solution.

“This to me goes beyond what is on the surface. And we need to find out what is at the bottom of it. And that is the responsibilities of leaders and of course, they must leave no stone unturned to find what the root cause of this and put a stop to it.

“We must know why it is happening and we must put an end to it, someone must take responsibility to put an end to it. We cannot talk of a free, secure country where we will want development to take place and investors to come to be suffering this type of senselessness.

“Nothing can be worse than what we have seen here; graveside of innocent people who should not have died that have died. The living still have hope, but those who have died are gone forever. Those who lost their loved ones, what do we say to them? Since I have taken time to come here, I will try to see anything that is worth seeing but finding solution is paramount,” Obasanjo said.

http://www.mcebisco.com.ng/2018/03/herdsmen-killings-what-obasanjo-said-at.html

Re: Herdsmen Killings: What Obasanjo Said At Benue Graveside by Optional09: 7:31pm On Mar 10, 2018
Do something fast at least to protect SW, SS and SE

3 Likes

Re: Herdsmen Killings: What Obasanjo Said At Benue Graveside by DrRasheed: 7:42pm On Mar 10, 2018
This man just Politicize everything... I heard even his son marriage.
Re: Herdsmen Killings: What Obasanjo Said At Benue Graveside by DrRasheed: 7:43pm On Mar 10, 2018
Optional09:
Do something fast at least to protect SW, SS and SE
Pathetic...
Re: Herdsmen Killings: What Obasanjo Said At Benue Graveside by ShobayoEmma(m): 8:14pm On Mar 10, 2018
If Obj is a satan and Buhari is a devil, then i guess Tinubu is a monster.Nigeria problems can only be solved by nigerian masses.
Or have you ever heard of accidental discharge on any politician or government official? If the masses are not ready to act together and take their rightful place, masses mass burial might be inevitable.

4 Likes

Re: Herdsmen Killings: What Obasanjo Said At Benue Graveside by knowledgeable: 9:21pm On Mar 10, 2018
6Ebisco:
Former President, Olusegun Obasanjo has described the killing of innocent Nigerians by suspected Fulani herdsmen as senseless.

The former president expressed sadness over the gruesome murder of Benue people in their homes by the herdsmen, saying it was shocking.

He was received at the Makurdi Airport by Governor Samuel Ortom and members of his cabinet on Saturday morning.

The Governor led him straight to the graveside of the Benue 73 who were massacred by herdsmen on New Year Day in Logo and Guma local government areas of the state located at Genabe village.

The former President said he was in the state to pay a condolence visit and to express his sorrow over the killings.

Obasanjo said, “It is sad beyond description and that is why I have taken it upon myself, having been to Maiduguri where we had a meeting of Zero Hunger Forum. If circumstances were normal, the Benue governor would have been with us.

“So, I am here to pay a condolence visit and share the sadness of Benue people with them.

“I felt coming to the graveside and laying a wreath will express my sorrow and my sympathy and empathy with the family, the Governor, all the people of the state and indeed, all Nigerians without any exception. A Nigerian life lost is loss to all of us.

“Hearing that aside the 73 buried here, more than 80 others have been killed in different parts of Benue is even more shocking to I believe it will be more shocking to all Nigerians who will be hearing that. There is no doubt that we haven’t got it right. We haven’t got it right because whatever is behind this, normally in any civilized society we must get to the root of it.

“And until we get to the root of this we will be burying victims. We will be assuming what is not assumable, because we must know why is this happening and who we must put and end to it. And somebody must accept the responsibility to put an end to this. If it has to be a collective responsibility, then so be it. But there must be an end to it.”

“We cannot talk of a free country, a secure country, a country where we will want development to take place, where we will want to invite investors from outside and from inside and we are suffering this type of senselessness.

“I do hope that there would be an end to this. Gorvernor, please accept my condolence and do not give up trying to work with men and women that have the interest of this state and the interest of Nigeria at heart to find a permanent solution.

“This to me goes beyond what is on the surface. And we need to find out what is at the bottom of it. And that is the responsibilities of leaders and of course, they must leave no stone unturned to find what the root cause of this and put a stop to it.

“We must know why it is happening and we must put an end to it, someone must take responsibility to put an end to it. We cannot talk of a free, secure country where we will want development to take place and investors to come to be suffering this type of senselessness.

“Nothing can be worse than what we have seen here; graveside of innocent people who should not have died that have died. The living still have hope, but those who have died are gone forever. Those who lost their loved ones, what do we say to them? Since I have taken time to come here, I will try to see anything that is worth seeing but finding solution is paramount,” Obasanjo said.

http://www.mcebisco.com.ng/2018/03/herdsmen-killings-what-obasanjo-said-at.html

Obasango, dancing around with words. Six year old Nigerians, know who are doing the killings and why they are are doing it. Indeed, all Nigerians understand who the killers are, their motivations and possibly their sponsors. All Nigerians know that Obasango knows too.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Herdsmen Killings: What Obasanjo Said At Benue Graveside by Owamudia: 9:37pm On Mar 10, 2018
knowledgeable:

Obasango, dancing around with words. Six year old Nigerians, know who are doing the killings and why they are are doing it. Indeed, all Nigerians understand who the killers are, their motivations and possibly their sponsors. All Nigerians know that Obasango knows too.

He spoke like an elder statesman. He has never been an activist.
And he will never take sides openly. He remains father of all as former president.

3 Likes

Re: Herdsmen Killings: What Obasanjo Said At Benue Graveside by chuksjuve(m): 9:52pm On Mar 10, 2018
OBJ be acting like Machiavelli..

Buhari and his defence crew will not like this!! angry

2 Likes

Re: Herdsmen Killings: What Obasanjo Said At Benue Graveside by saarumann: 9:58pm On Mar 10, 2018
DrRasheed:
This man just Politicize everything...
I heard even his son marriage.
So showing concern concern for victims massacred by fulani killers in their homes is now politics to you APC defenders Well done.

1 Like

Re: Herdsmen Killings: What Obasanjo Said At Benue Graveside by lastmessenger: 10:13pm On Mar 10, 2018
Buhari selected 95% of his security personnel from his kinsmen and some people backed him up by saying that he selected them based on merit and now these men have proved to know nothing about securing the lives and properties of ordinary Nigerians and yet the president have not deem it fit to do some reshuffling in the security arrangement of this administration.

Sometimes I am forces to believe that the killings will never go away as far as this set of men are still handling the security heads. Why not select men from other tribes and give them a free hand to work? If Nigerians are dying in their number on a daily basis then I can bet to say that these men have failed and the only option that a sensible president to take will be to fire them and bring in others with fresh ideas.

What's so special about the Hausa Fulani people that buhari feels they are the only people who can secure the country? Anyway one thing is certain and that is the fact that nothing last forever. One day this administration will be a thing of the past and Nigerians will always have something to remember about the duara president.

2 Likes

Re: Herdsmen Killings: What Obasanjo Said At Benue Graveside by SaiPapa: 10:19pm On Mar 10, 2018
Baba has spoken well by not pointing fingers. Good for him. Mr president is working on the issue as we speak. Benue ppl cab expect a peaceful 2018-23 under APC leadership. Sai baba !!!
Re: Herdsmen Killings: What Obasanjo Said At Benue Graveside by Smony: 10:52pm On Mar 10, 2018
Obj pls we all knw d truth dnt b beating around d corner. we nid solution n 2much talk.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Herdsmen Killings: What Obasanjo Said At Benue Graveside by adadike281(f): 4:35am On Mar 11, 2018
Obj, Buhari will not kill u if u call a spade by its name. Fulani terrorists committed the murder and supported fully by Muhammadu Buhari the Nigeria President.

2 Likes

Re: Herdsmen Killings: What Obasanjo Said At Benue Graveside by Nobody: 6:05am On Mar 11, 2018
SaiPapa:
Baba has spoken well by not pointing fingers. Good for him. Mr president is working on the issue as we speak. Benue ppl cab expect a peaceful 2018-23 under APC leadership. Sai baba !!!
undecided
Re: Herdsmen Killings: What Obasanjo Said At Benue Graveside by SaiPapa: 6:45pm On Mar 11, 2018
SweetPuffPuff:
undecided

What r u making that expression for ? baba was sent by God himself. The works of these lil satans cannot obstruct divine will. buhari is being framed by mischievous interest groups. Come and stand with ur savior!
Re: Herdsmen Killings: What Obasanjo Said At Benue Graveside by Sarrakii: 7:07pm On Mar 11, 2018
DrRasheed:
This man just Politicize everything...
I heard even his son marriage.
BMC member what is politicised about what OBJ said?

(1) (Reply)

Why I’ve Not Visited The US - Atiku! / Aregbesola Action On A Decision Making Almost Caused Apc To Suffer Defeat / Deluded Tinubu Already Considering His VP, Shortlist El Rufai, Shettima, Kingibe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.