Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,902 members, 7,814,056 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:19 AM

14 Most Common Problems With Used And Second-hand Cars - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 14 Most Common Problems With Used And Second-hand Cars (20004 Views)

China Begins Export Of Second Hand Cars To Nigeria / Some Tips On Buying Used/second-hand Cars / Did America & Europe Bribed Nigeria Government To Change To Left Hand Cars (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 14 Most Common Problems With Used And Second-hand Cars by udatso: 11:05am On Mar 11, 2018
Automotive1:

Most of us dip into the used car market to get the next model at a lower price, but having peace of mind over its reliability is an important factor.

If you’re buying a car over ten years old, you have an over 80 per cent chance of mechanical or electrical breakdown in the subsequent three years.

While it makes financial sense to buy a used car, it can also mean footing the bill for repairs you are not prepared for .

Here are the lists of the most common problems with used vehicles

1. Damaged or Flat Tires and Wheels
Impacts and harsh conditions can produce damages in wheel rims or sidewalls. Wearing of irregular tires can also be experienced due to wheel misalignment. 

2. Electrical
As modern cars are loaded with more tech than ever, electrical gripes are some of the biggest problem encountered.

3. Clutch
As mileage increases, slipping or burnt out clutches can become a problem.

4. Defective battery
It is advisable to change batteries that come with a used or second hand cars. Batteries loose their powers after 3-5 years.

5. Malfunctioning starter motor
The starter motor is quite sensitive in its own way. The springs may decline functioning properly because of corrosion. 

6. Fuel problems
In some cases, leaking pipes, faulty injectors and busted pumps are encountered.

7. Brakes
Having fully functioning brakes is the most vital feature of your car, so it’s disappointing to see faults developing on few used models.

8. Alternator
The traditional alternator could be phased out when we finally shift to hybrids and electric cars, but it’s an issue in used models.

9. Cylinder head gasket 
This is also a problem common to used cars. White smoke and coolant leaks are symptoms of a cylinder head gasket failure.

10. Air-con condenser
Air-conditioner is a necessity for those hot days in Nigeria.New condensers will surely fix the issue .

12. Window motor/regulator 
Gone are the days of winding your windows down by hand. But even modern motors can burn out. Fixes were required on few used cars.

13. Spark plugs
As part of the ignition system,  spark plugs are among the busiest components in a vehicle.It is advisable to change them when you buy a used car. They should be replaced every after 10,000 miles.

14. Rust
While not as serious as any issue involving your engine, rust is certainly prevalent among older second hand vehicles that haven’t been properly maintained.

Do you have any addition to the above lists?

Source https://autojosh.com/14-most-common-problems-with-used-and-second-hand-cars/

Cc Lalasticlala Mynd44

You forgot Automatic gear fault

1 Like

Re: 14 Most Common Problems With Used And Second-hand Cars by TDH01: 2:13pm On Mar 11, 2018
[quote author=darocha1 post=65738150]
i bet u just typed this out of your sheer ignorance . i use 6k fuel from lagos-to ijebu and back to lagos[/quote

I have travelled Lagos to Ijebu nd back on fuel of 4k with an SUV .
Re: 14 Most Common Problems With Used And Second-hand Cars by darocha1: 2:27pm On Mar 11, 2018
[quote author=TDH01 post=65745168][/quote]
Your point please
Re: 14 Most Common Problems With Used And Second-hand Cars by ogaontop(m): 2:38pm On Mar 11, 2018
hisgrace090:
I bought a second hand car and change everything changeable in it, it's now almost a new car.

Radiator water now last more than a month before reduction, weras before I top it daily.

AC now chilling, werass before it blows hot air.

Despite being a six cylinder Toyota Camry, fuel guage now hardly drops weras before I almost buy 2 to3 thousand naira worth of fuel daily.

Your determination to upgrade especially when you can afford it is the secrete.

Finally, your old car can get better if you wish. All car parts are in the market for you.

Please what did you do to your fuel gauge currently I drive Toyota Avalon ship, but I top 2 to 3k fuel daily, don't really know what's the cause and the mechanic can't specify what the problem might be.
Thanks as you reply
Re: 14 Most Common Problems With Used And Second-hand Cars by 3kay945(m): 3:09pm On Mar 11, 2018
It's good to have good mechanic that can help in the bargaining process.
Re: 14 Most Common Problems With Used And Second-hand Cars by jodeci(m): 3:39pm On Mar 11, 2018
Catalytic converter is another issue

1 Like

Re: 14 Most Common Problems With Used And Second-hand Cars by dipoowo(m): 6:39pm On Mar 11, 2018
hisgrace090:
I bought a second hand car and change everything changeable in it, it's now almost a new car.

Radiator water now last more than a month before reduction, weras before I top it daily.

Despite being a six cylinder Toyota Camry, fuel guage now hardly drops weras before I almost buy 2 to3 thousand naira worth of fuel daily.

Finally, your old car can get better if you wish. All car parts are in the market for you.

Hello,
How did you fix the fuel consumption issue?

I have a 6cyl SUV and fuel consumption is high
Re: 14 Most Common Problems With Used And Second-hand Cars by hisgrace090: 7:00pm On Mar 11, 2018
ogaontop:

Please what did you do to your fuel gauge currently I drive Toyota Avalon ship, but I top 2 to 3k fuel daily, don't really know what's the cause and the mechanic can't specify what the problem might be.
Thanks as you reply

First of all the car was scanned and we found out it has no carthalytic converter. Then it was replaced.

Second, we c heck the tharmostart but it was not removed but the radiator fan was blowing steady without control which is wrong, we bring it back to factory mode.

By now the crazy fuel consumption have drastically reduced, but we decided to make a step forward by changing the engine oil to the manufacturers recommended 5w 30 full synthetic oil and it became the last nail that seals the deal.

After all this I was like wow!

1 Like

Re: 14 Most Common Problems With Used And Second-hand Cars by hisgrace090: 7:03pm On Mar 11, 2018
dipoowo:

Hello,
How did you fix the fuel consumption issue?

I have a 6cyl SUV and fuel consumption is high

Pls i have have answered the question, just visit the pos again.
Re: 14 Most Common Problems With Used And Second-hand Cars by nikky5(m): 7:13pm On Mar 11, 2018
Mine a skoda octavia had only ac and window problems.
Re: 14 Most Common Problems With Used And Second-hand Cars by TalkingBird: 9:21am On Mar 12, 2018
hisgrace090:

Pls how did you fix the fuel consumption issue?
Re: 14 Most Common Problems With Used And Second-hand Cars by jodeci(m): 12:26pm On Mar 12, 2018
TalkingBird:

Pls how did you fix the fuel consumption issue?

He has answered this question, why not take your time and read through the thread first before repeating the same question.
Re: 14 Most Common Problems With Used And Second-hand Cars by TalkingBird: 6:14pm On Mar 12, 2018
jodeci:

He has answered this question, why not take your time and read through the thread first before repeating the same question.

Ok.
Re: 14 Most Common Problems With Used And Second-hand Cars by ogaontop(m): 8:34am On Mar 14, 2018
hisgrace090:

First of all the car was scanned and we found out it has no carthalytic converter. Then it was replaced.

Second, we c heck the tharmostart but it was not removed but the radiator fan was blowing steady without control which is wrong, we bring it back to factory mode.

By now the crazy fuel consumption have drastically reduced, but we decided to make a step forward by changing the engine oil to the manufacturers recommended 5w 30 full synthetic oil and it became the last nail that seals the deal.

After all this I was like wow!

Thanks bro!

1 Like

Re: 14 Most Common Problems With Used And Second-hand Cars by Nobody: 2:50pm On Mar 14, 2018
hisgrace090:

Nice

1 Like

Re: 14 Most Common Problems With Used And Second-hand Cars by Midemorayo(m): 9:06pm On Dec 23, 2020
[quote author=TDH01 post=65745168][/quote]
Which brand of SUV ? PLZ. TANKS
Re: 14 Most Common Problems With Used And Second-hand Cars by DECLAN2015(m): 4:37pm On Dec 24, 2020
3kay945:
It's good to have good mechanic that can help in the bargaining process.

Can u recommend a good mechanic to check nigeria used car.
Re: 14 Most Common Problems With Used And Second-hand Cars by 3kay945(m): 3:36pm On Dec 25, 2020
DECLAN2015:

Can u recommend a good mechanic to check nigeria used car.

Any good mechanic around can do. It is not a rocket science. Besides, where is your location?
Re: 14 Most Common Problems With Used And Second-hand Cars by ZhyonKross(m): 6:05am On Dec 26, 2020
hisgrace090:

. What and what did you actually change brother, I'm interested in these because I just bought one..
Re: 14 Most Common Problems With Used And Second-hand Cars by Handsome08: 11:57am On Jan 05, 2021
hisgrace090:

Boss, Abeg who help u fix ur a/c?
Mine is not blowing too cold enough
Re: 14 Most Common Problems With Used And Second-hand Cars by hisgrace090: 1:46pm On Jan 05, 2021
Handsome08:

Boss, Abeg who help u fix ur a/c?
Mine is not blowing too cold enough

I fix mine in onitsha but you can go to any experience ac man to get it right.

(1) (2) (Reply)

New Cars Vs Tokunbo Cars In Nigeria / Cars45, Do They Actually Buy Your Car In 45 Minutes? – By Autojosh / Various Car Brands And What They Are Known For

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.