Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,964 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:27 AM

Turkey Production In Nigeria - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Turkey Production In Nigeria (13047 Views)

Turkey Production And It's Peculiarities / You Can Make Unimaginable Wealth From Turkey Production; A - Z Step To Follow. / Rice Production In Nigeria Hits 15 Million Tonnes — Official (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Turkey Production In Nigeria by maxipharo(m): 8:38am On Mar 12, 2018
Turkey Production in Nigeria
Turkey farming is now gradually increasing in Nigeria because of the awareness and many benefits derived from rearing turkeys. Turkey supply eggs and can be source of meat and their multi-coloured plumage can be used for decorations. The poultry industry in Nigeria is expanding rapidly and meat and egg production is an important aspect in satisfying the undying needs and wants of the people.
Turkey population in Nigeria
Turkeys in Nigeria are primarily reared for meat or as breeders to produce hatching eggs. They are rarely kept for the production of table eggs though the eggs are edible. The growth of turkey industry in Nigeria has risen to 1.5- 2 million tons per year. This fast growth in the industry was made possible by intensification of production and development of large breeds with standard weights ranging from 15- 17kg for male and 8-10kg for females. Some of these come from homestead.
Breeds and varieties in Nigeria
Most turkeys that are reared here in Nigeria are resultant crossing between the large size and small size turkeys and also the exotic breed which are been imported from overseas but, are now in much circulation across the country.
Economic potential of turkey Production
Turkey production in Nigeria has largely remained at the small holder level due to various reasons ranging from management problems to lack of incentives by the government. There is also obvious lack of information on specific requirement for turkey production in Nigeria which may be attributed to low level of research in Nigeria. Moreso, the lack of interest on turkey production was mainly due to the government policy that liberalized turkey importation since 1977.
But, the trend has changed, due to the imposed ban on importation of turkeys in Nigeria. This has actually given room to young farmers who want to venture into the production of turkeys( Be it local or the exotic breed) which has great potentials in the supply of good quality animal protein/which Nigerians are lacking according to WHO and FAO and high rate of turnover of investment.
Potential Benefits
Turkey don’t need much market persuasion before you can make them. You can sell as much turkeys has possible within a day with the right market survey
• Turkey farming business in Nigeria is not capital intensive as people imagine it to be. As a young farmer, you can start small
• The more local breeds produce the less the need to import. This will enhance demand and increase supply locally.
• They have high return on investments with the proper knowledge and adequate facilities.
• Turkey are easy to manage in terms of handling and transportation.
• Empowerment, due to self-employment and employing others.
Things to consider when establishing turkey farm
• If the poultry setup is wrong, you will end up losing your birds. (In terms of building orientation, nature of the site and your farm location).
• The poultry should be well protected against predators.
• Maximum hygiene (In terms of keeping your environment and biosecurity measures).
• Proper feeding: to enhance growth and good market return.
• Get your poults(young turkeys) from reputable farms or breeders
• Proper vaccination schedule.
http://www.agricincome.com/turkey-production-in-nigeria/#more-265

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Turkey Production In Nigeria by cinoedhunter: 8:39am On Mar 12, 2018
I don dey hungry already angry

2 Likes

Re: Turkey Production In Nigeria by veekid(m): 11:39am On Mar 12, 2018
And them no want us to drink beer again

1 Like

Re: Turkey Production In Nigeria by midehi2(f): 11:40am On Mar 12, 2018
I will go into the business tongue

3 Likes

Re: Turkey Production In Nigeria by osariemen2(m): 11:55am On Mar 12, 2018
Please if you have this report as a soft copy can you send it to my mail osariemenoriakhi@yahoo.com
Re: Turkey Production In Nigeria by fiftynaira(m): 11:56am On Mar 12, 2018
Any turkey framer in owerri that needs to reach people pls mention me.... wanna learn
Re: Turkey Production In Nigeria by olaeffect(m): 11:57am On Mar 12, 2018
Oya ooo. Where are the links for purchase of well vaccinated young adults (watin dem dey call am?) I need to stock some.

1 Like

Re: Turkey Production In Nigeria by jashar(f): 12:01pm On Mar 12, 2018
good good.
Re: Turkey Production In Nigeria by lansha2006: 12:03pm On Mar 12, 2018
I have matured male and female turkeys for sale. Farm is in ikorodu, Lagos. Contact 07036261708 for bookings

1 Like

Re: Turkey Production In Nigeria by Okadalifestyle(m): 12:51pm On Mar 12, 2018
Thank you for the information and update. Please do well to add feeding and medication that is organic in your next post.
Re: Turkey Production In Nigeria by ArcSEMPECJ(m): 1:18pm On Mar 12, 2018
Nice...am designing a poultry farm that will house 27500 birds to include Turkey...broilers..layers and guinea fowl for academic purpose...at masters level...the tread is a nice one and quite educative
Re: Turkey Production In Nigeria by Flaghouse1: 1:41pm On Mar 12, 2018
ArcSEMPECJ:
Nice...am designing a poultry farm that will house 27500 birds to include Turkey...broilers..layers and guinea fowl for academic purpose...at masters level...the tread is a nice one and quite educative

Nice, need to share from your knowledge
Re: Turkey Production In Nigeria by Kaybaba5(m): 1:43pm On Mar 12, 2018
GOod business
Re: Turkey Production In Nigeria by Harwal: 2:22pm On Mar 12, 2018
grin
Re: Turkey Production In Nigeria by jobbers: 3:09pm On Mar 12, 2018
oh
Re: Turkey Production In Nigeria by Skibofire(m): 3:55pm On Mar 12, 2018
Bros i go like learn also
Re: Turkey Production In Nigeria by Skibofire(m): 3:57pm On Mar 12, 2018
ArcSEMPECJ:
are u by any chance in owerri bros?
Re: Turkey Production In Nigeria by Skibofire(m): 3:58pm On Mar 12, 2018
fiftynaira:
Any turkey framer in owerri that needs to reach people pls mention me.... wanna learn
bros i go like learn also
Re: Turkey Production In Nigeria by Keywordconcept(m): 6:25pm On Mar 12, 2018
Earn passively by checking my signature.

Agriculture is good and profitable.
Re: Turkey Production In Nigeria by kingralu: 7:03pm On Mar 12, 2018
Keywordconcept:
Earn passively by checking my signature.

Agriculture is good and profitable.

please can you help teach me how to rear turkey(foreign and local breed )If you have any soft copy document on that,please u can reach me at ezerapuluchukwu@gmail.com
thanks
Re: Turkey Production In Nigeria by kingralu: 7:06pm On Mar 12, 2018
please I'll love to learn more especially the feeding and vaccination aspect
Re: Turkey Production In Nigeria by Horbar1: 7:58pm On Mar 12, 2018
For your day old poults ( turkey ) at cheaper price call y2ffarms on 07031380149.

Re: Turkey Production In Nigeria by ArcSEMPECJ(m): 7:30pm On Mar 14, 2018
Skibofire:
are u by any chance in owerri bros?
......nope am at Awka...UNIZIK PG school

(1) (Reply)

Okro Farming – A Surefire Way To Make N1 Million Monthly / CATFISH MART. A Platform That Connects Catfish Farmers Directly To Buyers / Get Business Plan/ Feasibility Study For Your Plantain Farm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.