Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,707 members, 7,955,673 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 12:26 PM

My Two Plots Of Maize Farm (planted 16/02!2018) - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Two Plots Of Maize Farm (planted 16/02!2018) (16812 Views)

Obasanjo Inspects His Yam And Maize Farm (Photos) / Man Shows Bountiful Harvest Of The Yam He Planted During Lockdown / My Maize Farm Made Me Smile This Morning. Photos Attached (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Two Plots Of Maize Farm (planted 16/02!2018) by Curiouscity(m): 11:36pm On May 25, 2018
NextDayPP:
My question when I started this thread was, how much can one make from 2 plots of maize farm. I made 57,600.. I also said I would harvest between 1st and 3rd of May. My harvest was done 2nd and 4th. About 80% on the 2nd, while the remaining 20% was 2 days later. I want to also point out that my 2 plots was about 4 rows by 120f less. I also gave out to a lot of ppl because it was very close to the village. One thing that reduced my income heavily was the attack of birds. I was told by the locals that it was that bad because I was the only one with matured maize around, more so that the area is close to a river and and swamp. I believed the locals submission because it makes sense.

The 57600NGN, is it profit after expenditures or all income?
If profit, then you do well. You can build on that.
Re: My Two Plots Of Maize Farm (planted 16/02!2018) by saliubello(m): 5:17am On May 26, 2018
NextDayPP:
My question when I started this thread was, how much can one make from 2 plots of maize farm. I made 57,600.. I also said I would harvest between 1st and 3rd of May. My harvest was done 2nd and 4th. About 80% on the 2nd, while the remaining 20% was 2 days later. I want to also point out that my 2 plots was about 4 rows by 120f less. I also gave out to a lot of ppl because it was very close to the village. One thing that reduced my income heavily was the attack of birds. I was told by the locals that it was that bad because I was the only one with matured maize around, more so that the area is close to a river and and swamp. I believed the locals submission because it makes sense.
N57600 is revenue or profits? Thanks for sharing.
Re: My Two Plots Of Maize Farm (planted 16/02!2018) by NextDayPP: 5:32am On May 26, 2018
All income. I mentioned earlier that I didn't have to clear the portion as I was using it for vegetables from late last year to February this year. After planting, weeding was done twice by me. Below is the breakdown of expenses plus cost of clearing and weeding in the area, assuming I had have to do all those.

1. 2kg of premier seed...........1000
2. 2 paint buckets of urea.,.......1600
3. Clearing. .........4000
4. Weeding (twice) ..........6400
Total. ..............#13,000
Total income ............#57,600
Profit. ......... #44,600

Total income could have reached #70,000, but the good thing is I know WHY it didn't. That is the area to work on next time. My actual target was #80,000. Please don't say I'm taking it too far, remember I keep talking about the timing, if i had planted 2 weeks earlier it could easily be achieved.

Curiouscity:

The 57600NGN, is it profit after expenditures or all income?
If profit, then you do well. You can build on that.
Re: My Two Plots Of Maize Farm (planted 16/02!2018) by Curiouscity(m): 2:35pm On May 26, 2018
NextDayPP:
All income. I mentioned earlier that I didn't have to clear the portion as I was using it for vegetables from late last year to February this year. After planting, weeding was done twice by me. Below is the breakdown of expenses plus cost of clearing and weeding in the area, assuming I had have to do all those.

Total income could have reached #70,000, but the good thing is I know WHY it didn't. That is the area to work on next time. My actual target was #80,000. Please don't say I'm taking it too far, remember I keep talking about the timing, if i had planted 2 weeks earlier it could easily be achieved.

44600NGN is still good for 2 plots of maize. Aside this, you have learned some vital lessons that will help you improve upon.

Kudos!

2 Likes

Re: My Two Plots Of Maize Farm (planted 16/02!2018) by Irumolesoft: 11:21am On May 29, 2018
NextDayPP:

[quote author
NextDayPP:

=NextDayPP post=65800928]I am writing about my experience not because I feel I have arrived, but just to tell anyone wanting to do farming that no matter how many seminars you attend, your mistakes are going to be your ultimate teacher. I moved to another village and within 2 weeks, I was planting another plot of maize (early may) since then I have settled with maize and vegetable, leaving the more complicated tomatoes out of my farm. (I also have cassava for family consumption)

Today I have what it takes to cultivate one or two acres, but I want to conclude my study on Small Well Taken Care Of Farm when produce is scarce against Large Farm When Everyone Is Planting. in case you are wondering, there is a small pond near that has helped with watering, I used the same for vegetables between October and February.[/quote]

I must say you’ve done a great job , I have 6 Afre farm that I am getting ready to plant cucumber and watermelon , I have no experience in maize at all but if I get advice from you or if you can help me with more info and ideas , time to time guide I’m willing to use some part to plant maize 2 plot maybe . Thanks I’ll appreciate it sir
Re: My Two Plots Of Maize Farm (planted 16/02!2018) by johnnyblaze424: 12:18am On Jun 03, 2018
Irumolesoft:
=NextDayPP post=65800928]I am writing about my experience not because I feel I have arrived, but just to tell anyone wanting to do farming that no matter how many seminars you attend, your mistakes are going to be your ultimate teacher. I moved to another village and within 2 weeks, I was planting another plot of maize (early may) since then I have settled with maize and vegetable, leaving the more complicated tomatoes out of my farm. (I also have cassava for family consumption)

Today I have what it takes to cultivate one or two acres, but I want to conclude my study on Small Well Taken Care Of Farm when produce is scarce against Large Farm When Everyone Is Planting. in case you are wondering, there is a small pond near that has helped with watering, I used the same for vegetables between October and February.

I must say you’ve done a great job , I have 6 Afre farm that I am getting ready to plant cucumber and watermelon , I have no experience in maize at all but if I get advice from you or if you can help me with more info and ideas , time to time guide I’m willing to use some part to plant maize 2 plot maybe . Thanks I’ll appreciate it sir

pls what area did you had your maize sold
Re: My Two Plots Of Maize Farm (planted 16/02!2018) by igbsam(m): 11:12am On Jun 03, 2018
I am new in the farming business as i am yet to set up one. Met an old friend who is into farming and helps set up farm for people and also manage it. I've read success stories from a couple of people whom he has worked it. Is it wise as a newbie to start maize and cassava farming with 2 acres being a newbie. Funds are available and he has provided me with detailed information on how funds will be disbursed. Location of farm is ogun state.
Re: My Two Plots Of Maize Farm (planted 16/02!2018) by NextDayPP: 10:28pm On Jun 03, 2018
I am open to sharing the little I have learned.

Irumolesoft:

Today I have what it takes to cultivate one or two acres, but I want to conclude my study on Small Well Taken Care Of Farm when produce is scarce against Large Farm When Everyone Is Planting. in case you are wondering, there is a small pond near that has helped with watering, I used the same for vegetables between October and February.

Re: My Two Plots Of Maize Farm (planted 16/02!2018) by NextDayPP: 10:32pm On Jun 03, 2018
The women came from Ijoko, not far from Sango in Ogun state. The farm itself is close to the area where bellview crashed late 90s

johnnyblaze424:

pls what area did you had your maize sold
Re: My Two Plots Of Maize Farm (planted 16/02!2018) by NextDayPP: 10:38pm On Jun 03, 2018
I will suggest you create time to be around the farm from time to time. Your first hand experience is important to help you become the farmer you want to be. Where in Ogun, may I ask.

igbsam:
I am new in the farming business as i am yet to set up one. Met an old friend who is into farming and helps set up farm for people and also manage it. I've read success stories from a couple of people whom he has worked it. Is it wise as a newbie to start maize and cassava farming with 2 acres being a newbie. Funds are available and he has provided me with detailed information on how funds will be disbursed. Location of farm is ogun state.
Re: My Two Plots Of Maize Farm (planted 16/02!2018) by johnnyblaze424: 10:42pm On Jun 03, 2018
NextDayPP:
The women came from Ijoko, not far from Sango in Ogun state. The farm itself is close to the area where bellview crashed late 90s

Pls can I have your WhatsApp contact....... I'd like to discuss a few thing with you
Re: My Two Plots Of Maize Farm (planted 16/02!2018) by igbsam(m): 5:49am On Jun 04, 2018
NextDayPP:
I will suggest you create time to be around the farm from time to time. Your first hand experience is important to help you become the farmer you want to be. Where in Ogun, may I ask.

its at Ado Odo atan
Re: My Two Plots Of Maize Farm (planted 16/02!2018) by NextDayPP: 6:42pm On Jun 04, 2018
0705-4288-048

(
johnnyblaze424:

Pls can I have your WhatsApp contact....... I'd like to discuss a few thing with you
Re: My Two Plots Of Maize Farm (planted 16/02!2018) by johnnyblaze424: 11:49pm On Jun 04, 2018
NextDayPP:
0705-4288
will call you tomorrow

(
Re: My Two Plots Of Maize Farm (planted 16/02!2018) by deking(m): 10:46pm On Aug 17, 2018
thank you for the thread.
Re: My Two Plots Of Maize Farm (planted 16/02!2018) by kunleweb: 12:45pm On Aug 18, 2018
NextDayPP:
I ventured into farming last year after several discouraging words from friends for 2 years. I decided to tell nobody before my first. I started with tomatoes, maize and later vegetables ( ewedu and efo). The first 3 plots was a disaster, I struggle to pay for clearing and did the rest myself. I spent 2 months working on the farm, with slightly over 30minutes to and another 30 minutes from the farm everyday. I left the village without informing anyone because of shame of failure. I made NOTHING from my efforts and had to help someone with weeding to get money to leave.

Are you for real?
Re: My Two Plots Of Maize Farm (planted 16/02!2018) by kunleweb: 12:49pm On Aug 18, 2018
igbsam:

I am interested in working with you on your farm project. I intend on starting mine by February 2019, i just want to pass out time
Re: My Two Plots Of Maize Farm (planted 16/02!2018) by NextDayPP: 6:46am On Sep 21, 2018
I will be starting another project soon. I haven't been doing anything for a while because I left the former place due to family reasons. I'm currently near Idi-iroko looking for a farm with water source. Apart from the farm produce, I will also be sharing my water pumping system.

Anyway I do not mind a joint venture from a serious person. Or if anyone has like one acre with water source, could be well or borehole, there's a lot we could do with that.

kunleweb:

I am interested in working with you on your farm project. I intend on starting mine by February 2019, i just want to pass out time

1 Like

Re: My Two Plots Of Maize Farm (planted 16/02!2018) by kunleweb: 6:53am On Sep 21, 2018
NextDayPP:
I will be starting another project soon. I haven't been doing anything for a while because I left the former place due to family reasons. I'm currently near Idi-iroko looking for a farm with water source. Apart from the farm produce, I will also be sharing my water pumping system.

Anyway I do not mind a joint venture from a serious person. Or if anyone has like one acre with water source, could be well or borehole, there's a lot we could do with that.

Thanks for contacting me i've been looking for this moniker God knows. Send me a message on Whatsapp on 0818 397 9372
Re: My Two Plots Of Maize Farm (planted 16/02!2018) by TeeSha(m): 11:58am On Sep 22, 2018
Hey guys.....thanks for the thread.
I just graduated last year and i intend to start a maize farm next year.....as a newbie.

1. I'd like to start with 4 hectares. Is it advisable as a starter.
2. Is it posible for 3 persons to handle such size (2 part time employees while i'll be available on weekends). I'd use weeding machine, planters, etc to ease the work.
3. I'd like to sell to local traders....while any remnant would be dried, decobbed and bagged for sale (to avoid spoilage)

Kindly advise me generally and based on the above data.
P.S: no matter what......i'll start that farm next year.
Re: My Two Plots Of Maize Farm (planted 16/02!2018) by NextDayPP: 9:45pm On Sep 22, 2018
I like 2 things you said, that no matter what you're going to start. Secondly you already have alternative for the rest if you can't sell all fresh. My only suggestion is that you could start with less, maybe one hectare, try to get used to the plant and increase gradually. Fresh maize is just 11 weeks to maturity

TeeSha:
I just graduated last year and i intend to start a maize farm next year.....as a newbie.

2. Is it posible for 3 persons to handle such size (2 part time employees while i'll be available on weekends). I'd use weeding machine, planters, etc to ease the work.
3. I'd like to sell to local traders....while any remnant would be dried, decobbed and bagged for sale (to avoid spoilage)

Re: My Two Plots Of Maize Farm (planted 16/02!2018) by kunleweb: 6:38pm On Sep 23, 2018
TeeSha:

Send me a message on Whatsapp on 0818 397 9372

Lets alll form a team

1 Like

Re: My Two Plots Of Maize Farm (planted 16/02!2018) by LORDTAY(m): 1:52pm On Sep 25, 2018
elder101:
I av a simple suggestion for you to increase ur yield now that tge maize are beginning to tarsel.
Approach any abbatior around u, go along with d 20litre paint bucket and collect the stomach slug mind you not poop o.
Apply inbetween the plants in measure of milk cups and cover up.
What it will do for you in to increase number of heads per stick and bigger seedling.
You may wish to line out a section of the field and compare at harvest.
Wishing you more successes. Agric pays, nxt time hire some machines to reduce cost and energy input on farm.

Please i would like more description of the stomach slug as manure.Would wish to get some for my farm too.@ Op were you able to get the stomach slug for your farm too?
Re: My Two Plots Of Maize Farm (planted 16/02!2018) by Orgym(m): 5:08am On Sep 26, 2018
Hi bro. I like to know how you applied fertiliser to your farm. Is it once or twice. How and quantity?
Re: My Two Plots Of Maize Farm (planted 16/02!2018) by Orgym(m): 5:13am On Sep 26, 2018
elder101:
I av a simple suggestion for you to increase ur yield now that tge maize are beginning to tarsel.
Approach any abbatior around u, go along with d 20litre paint bucket and collect the stomach slug mind you not poop o.
Apply inbetween the plants in measure of milk cups and cover up.
What it will do for you in to increase number of heads per stick and bigger seedling.
You may wish to line out a section of the field and compare at harvest.
Wishing you more successes. Agric pays, nxt time hire some machines to reduce cost and energy input on farm.

I need more explanation on this sir. Am also into maize farming
Re: My Two Plots Of Maize Farm (planted 16/02!2018) by NextDayPP: 2:33pm On Sep 28, 2018
I used a 5 litter paint bucket per plot. I applied urea after 4-5 weeks. My method of application is by mixing with water, urea desolves quickly in water. For this method you must know how many stands you have, that should not be too hard with uniform rolls. Get a plastic cup of about half a liter. If you have a thousand stands for example, you will need to mix a paint bucket of urea with 500 liters. You don't have to look for a large 500 liters container, get a 50 or 25 litters keg, if it's 50 liters it means you have to divide your urea into 10 equal parts, adding one or two liters to cater for spillage should be considered.. Remember to stir very well. Pour directly to the base of the plants, it will not harm them when mixed with water.

Remember that I had chicken waste in the soil before I planted. Assuming I didn't have that at the beginning, this is how my fertilizer application should have been, taking into consideration the land minerals had been exhausted before maize planting.

3-4 buckets of NPK buried in ground the way you bury your maize. ( Don't put NPK and maize in the same hole, about 2 inches apart) plus the soil most be moist to help the NPK desolves quickly. This is done at planting or after 2 weeks, but I prefer planting day. Then apply urea at 4-5 weeks as stated above.

Now if you clear a bush that you feel is rich in nutrients, but not sure if it can be enough for close to 3 months that the maize needs it for, you can just bypass the application of NPK and only put urea at 4-5 weeks and you will be good, but you might want to increase urea to 1-1/2 per plot. Any other person can put in their contribution

Orgym:
Hi bro. I like to know how you applied fertiliser to your farm. Is it once or twice. How and quantity?

1 Like

Re: My Two Plots Of Maize Farm (planted 16/02!2018) by Nobody: 12:46am On Oct 01, 2018
Hello,
I'm a farmer with about 10 acres of fresh maize for sale. Harvesting and sales will start by first week in October. Contact 08068519809 or jolaosoolujuwon@gmail.com for more information on the price and kindly link us with partners who are interested.
I/We look forward to doing valuable business with you.
Thank you.
Re: My Two Plots Of Maize Farm (planted 16/02!2018) by Ayus4u(m): 7:53pm On Nov 03, 2018
igbsam:

which area in Ogun state?
Re: My Two Plots Of Maize Farm (planted 16/02!2018) by elder101: 8:46am On Nov 04, 2018
@LORDTAY, @Orgym.
The stomach slug is the food in either cow/ram/goat stomach i.e the (shaki). This slug is made up of different nutrient bcus its all grass, seeds and enzymes that are just breaking down in the system of the animal.
If you can get this, apply to your plants in measured quantities so as not to kill ur plants. It acts like fertilizer, if you put too much to a plant the effect will be too much for it.
If you are not confortable starting it on ur maize farm but have maybe few plantain/banana near u, get the slug, say a 500g measure (cluster), less for each stem. dig d ground at the base of stem/cluster, pour d content, cover up, you will have bigger plantain/banana heads at harvest.
To see the difference don't apply to all stem/cluster and mark each.
Best applied when plants begin to flower.

1 Like

Re: My Two Plots Of Maize Farm (planted 16/02!2018) by elder101: 8:53am On Nov 04, 2018
Please I want to ask some simple questions about this your farm, it is intended to make a simple plan.
1. What is the total stem/plant number on your farm.
2. How many maize head/stem did you get.
3. Do you have the dry weight of previous harvest and what was it.
Thank you.
OlujuwonJolaoso:
Hello,
I'm a farmer with about 10 acres of fresh maize for sale. Harvesting and sales will start by first week in October. Contact 08068519809 or jolaosoolujuwon@gmail.com for more information on the price and kindly link us with partners who are interested.
I/We look forward to doing valuable business with you.
Thank you.
Re: My Two Plots Of Maize Farm (planted 16/02!2018) by letsfarmnigeria: 9:07am On Nov 04, 2018
if its farming yes come and learn with pics and videos to guide you ask questions and get answers simply visit letsfarmnigeria..com at no cost

Re: My Two Plots Of Maize Farm (planted 16/02!2018) by NextDayPP: 4:49am On Feb 08, 2019
I'm sure there's enough space for everyone to start their own thread.
We're sharing practical ideas here, and not sure if anyone needs your videos.

letsfarmnigeria:
if its farming yes come and learn with pics and videos to guide you ask questions and get answers simply visit letsfarmnigeria..com at no cost

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Kehinde Oloruntoba In His Farm Regalia (Photo) / Agricultural Policies In Nigeria: All You Need To Know / Please I Need The Native Name Of This Fruit (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.