Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,488 members, 7,819,771 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:55 PM

#WCLAGOS2018: Highlights From The WordPress Conference That Held Last Saturday - Webmasters (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / #WCLAGOS2018: Highlights From The WordPress Conference That Held Last Saturday (4923 Views)

I Need The Wordpress Newspaper 8 Theme / Please How Can I Disable The Wordpress Autosave Feature. / The wordpress website and blog designer. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: #WCLAGOS2018: Highlights From The WordPress Conference That Held Last Saturday by PcashMojo(m): 12:10pm On Mar 15, 2018
[quote author=SmartyPants post=65853953]
In the first place GTBank's website is a simple HTML, CSS and Javascript site. There is no php (or rather very little PHP), and i've just checked the source file.

Point of correction your analysis is totally wrong,GTBank website is a full fledged dynamic website,not just a simple HTML,CSS and Javascript,you don't just assume things YOU must have a broad knowledge first before saying.You can't say rather very little PHP because you did'nt see any sever-side language from the element you inspect ,so if it's running on ASP.NET,C#,PHP,RUBY on Rails you don't know because the server side code can't appear on your element inspection view, they are the real source code,that's why they are hidden,Talking of HTML we have 4 & 5 and most tag from html4 has been deprecated,html5 is the current trend,css is releasing newer versions...not to talk of jquery ui,ajax. Join the league of developers,and will you understand cms in a better way,you can challenge any template and make it do your biding.
Re: #WCLAGOS2018: Highlights From The WordPress Conference That Held Last Saturday by baddosky1: 12:20pm On Mar 15, 2018
SmartyPants:

It seems like you are not very knowledgeable about the whole thing. In the first place GTBank's website is a simple HTML, CSS and Javascript site. There is no php (or rather very little PHP), and i've just checked the source file.

Secondly, coding in HTML, CSS and PHP is the definition of coding from scratch so i don't know what you are trying to say.

Finally, true wordpress developers are proficient in all four languages (HTML, CSS, Javascript and PHP) and then they understand Wordpress. As we speak, over 27% of all websites worldwide are powered by Wordpress, including some of the world's biggest brands. This trend is only set to grow.

So continue mocking things you don't fully understand untill you find yourself snd your skillset (if you haave) completely obsolete.

I tend to disagree with the bolded! Remove the existence of "Themes" and "Plugins" from WordPress and wordpressers will become bare and useless as an a soldier stripped of his gun and ammo.
Re: #WCLAGOS2018: Highlights From The WordPress Conference That Held Last Saturday by baddosky1: 12:25pm On Mar 15, 2018
FemiYB:

Okay MR Jailer,

1. WordPress powers 27% of the Web, now think about all the platforms used for web development,
2. I understand you don't know, so I will let you know - WordPress is coded in PHP(Advanced), HTML, CSS, Javascript and some other languages
And with your terms "Web designer and Web Developer", I'll use front-end developer and back-end developer instead.
A front-end developer codes in HTML, CSS, Javascript
A back-end developer codes in PHP, Python, Ruby etc.

If you are good in HTML, CSS, Javascript and PHP, you are good enough to work and earn money.

3. WordPress has made it so easy so almost anyone can work it, depending on your skill level.
As a beginner, you can customise ready-made themes to get what you want,
As a Front End Developer, you customise, tweak and edit codes in themes to get what you want.
As a Back End Developer, you can create themes, plugins to make development easy for other WordPress Users.

So as a back-end developer, WordPress makes development easier for me, as I don't have to start it all from scratch.

If you don't understand what I just explained, please don't reply

If I asked you to develop a social networking website like facebook with a messenger interface and tell you i don't want WordPress, what would you do?
Re: #WCLAGOS2018: Highlights From The WordPress Conference That Held Last Saturday by OurworkComNg1: 12:26pm On Mar 15, 2018
Zeromoney:

baddosky1:

SmartyPants:

Now,

check out my platform
http://ourwork.com.ng
(or check my signature)

can WordPress build a website like that?? its not an e-commerce site, so dont talk about using woo-commerce. i am not talking about beauty here (i will be moving it to bootstrap 4 soon ) but functionalities. can wordpress can??
Re: #WCLAGOS2018: Highlights From The WordPress Conference That Held Last Saturday by baddosky1: 12:32pm On Mar 15, 2018
PcashMojo:

In the first place GTBank's website is a simple HTML, CSS and Javascript site. There is no php (or rather very little PHP), and i've just checked the source file.

Point of correction your analysis is totally wrong,GTBank website is a full fledged dynamic website,not just a simple HTML,CSS and Javascript,you don't just assume things YOU must have a broad knowledge first before saying.You can't say rather very little PHP because you did'nt see any sever-side language from the element you inspect ,so if it's running on ASP.NET,C#,PHP,RUBY on Rails you don't know because the server side code can't appear on your element inspection view, they are the real source code,that's why they are hidden,Talking of HTML we have 4 & 5 and most tag from html4 has been deprecated,html5 is the current trend,css is releasing newer versions...not to talk of jquery ui,ajax. Join the league of developers,and will you understand cms in a better way,you can challenge any template and make it do your biding.

God bless you my brother. We know when real developers talk! This here is one!

See them rushing to the GTB front end to "check the source" cheesy cheesy...forgetting that it is the iBanking customer dashboard (the backend) that makes GTB website what it is. I am sure some of them seeing "Ajax" in your comment before today will think it is just the name of a Netherland football club. grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: #WCLAGOS2018: Highlights From The WordPress Conference That Held Last Saturday by SmartyPants(m): 12:41pm On Mar 15, 2018
[quote author=PcashMojo post=65858208][/quote]

The main reason i said very little PHP is because looking at the elements on the website almost everything on there is eiter a html or css element. There are very few PHP elements.
Re: #WCLAGOS2018: Highlights From The WordPress Conference That Held Last Saturday by SmartyPants(m): 1:07pm On Mar 15, 2018
baddosky1:

I tend to disagree with the bolded! Remove the existence of "Themes" and "Plugins" from WordPress and wordpressers will become bare and useless as an a soldier stripped of his gun and ammo.

I said wordpress developers. There is a big difference between a wordpress designer and a wordpress developer. A developer is the kind of person who could build a theme or plugin if he needed to.

All in all, wordpress just makes sense. The average person who needs a website doesn't need a complex solution, they typically need a bit of html, css and javascript at most. And the comapnies who do need complex solutions are not likely to hire the average Nigerian developer, they are more likely to turn to India and Pakistan.

so why spend so much time learning complex coding when the bulk of your income will come from simple stuff?
Re: #WCLAGOS2018: Highlights From The WordPress Conference That Held Last Saturday by FemiYB: 1:13pm On Mar 15, 2018
OurworkComNg1:

Now,

check out my platform
(or check my signature)

can WordPress build a website like that?? its not an e-commerce site, so dont talk about using woo-commerce. i am not talking about beauty here (i will be moving it to bootstrap 4 soon ) but functionalities. can wordpress can??

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Is this a joke?
Grade 10 girls in SA can build a better website than this
Re: #WCLAGOS2018: Highlights From The WordPress Conference That Held Last Saturday by ClintonNzedimma(m): 1:13pm On Mar 15, 2018
Baddosky1 and SmartyPants it all depends on the one that works for you, let's stop this unnecessary comparison....i am a developer, I code alot but I don't undermine WP users bcoz I use it when I need to
Re: #WCLAGOS2018: Highlights From The WordPress Conference That Held Last Saturday by Crieff(m): 1:16pm On Mar 15, 2018
SmartyPants:

The main reason i said very little PHP is because looking at the elements on the website almost everything on there is eiter a html or css element. There are very few PHP elements.

You're actually very wrong.

What you see when you view a webpage's source code is what the webdev wants you to see. The logic that makes it all work cannot be seen through Ctrl U or whatever key combinations works for your OS or browser.

It's the code that is invisible to the end user that is the real source code. There's a world to Webdev or web design even that will completely consume you bro. Find your rhythm and stay with it.

1 Like

Re: #WCLAGOS2018: Highlights From The WordPress Conference That Held Last Saturday by ClintonNzedimma(m): 1:16pm On Mar 15, 2018
FemiYB:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin Is this a joke? Grade 10 girls in SA can build a better website than this
the design is not too great but the back-end code is complex...
Re: #WCLAGOS2018: Highlights From The WordPress Conference That Held Last Saturday by SmartyPants(m): 1:34pm On Mar 15, 2018
Crieff:

You're actually very wrong.

What you see when you view a webpage's source code is what the webdev wants you to see. The logic that makes it all work cannot be seen through Ctrl U or whatever key combinations works for your OS or browser.

It's the code that is invisible to the end user that is the real source code. There's a world to Webdev or web design even that will completely consume you bro. Find your rhythm and stay with it.

I didn't mean that i made my comment based on what i saw when i inspected the code. I meant that when i looked at the page visually most of the elements i identified look like basic HTML, CSS and Javascript elements, and i inspected the code to confirm if i could match the elements i saw with the elements that were visible in the code. All i'm seeing are images, menus and nav. bars. The only obvious PHP element is the customer survey element.

What i am telling you is that i can recreate the homepage at least, using hmtl and css and a bit of javascript. And i can do it all in Wordpress. All i need are the images they used.

I have not said being able to code raw does not have its place, I am simply saying that Wordpress is the 20% that yields 80% of results.
Re: #WCLAGOS2018: Highlights From The WordPress Conference That Held Last Saturday by PcashMojo(m): 1:42pm On Mar 15, 2018
[quote author=SmartyPants post=65859123]

My Friend I thought I have corrected you previously that you can never ever see a PHP code on your element inspection view,even if it is a simple <?php
echo "Hello World!'';

?> because it's a server-side code
if you are privilege to the PHP file you will understand the html,css and javascript you might have bump into is a mere fragment of the site,and the bulk code is the php,then you will see files like index.php,configuration.php,admin.php...users.php,reg.php...the file is enormous.If you have the courage to try you too could be vast developer/programmer.
Re: #WCLAGOS2018: Highlights From The WordPress Conference That Held Last Saturday by SmartyPants(m): 1:47pm On Mar 15, 2018
[quote author=PcashMojo post=65860620][/quote]

Young man, its like you deliberately don't want to understand. PHP is not used for decoration, it is used for creating functionality and while i cannot at all claim to know PHP as such, if there is PHP present in a site it should reflect in the capability and functionality of that site. I am not talking about the code!

Maybe there is a backend with features such as user logins and stuff that we all can't see but then there is no reason to assume that there is.

So in simple terms, when you log on to the site, which of the functions there requires PHP?? Very few... so like i said at first there may be PHP but very little. And in any case the original point is that Wordpress is built on PHP and thus an exact replica of GTbank's website can be built on Wordpress.
Re: #WCLAGOS2018: Highlights From The WordPress Conference That Held Last Saturday by lammyng(f): 1:55pm On Mar 15, 2018
The comments tho...LOL
Re: #WCLAGOS2018: Highlights From The WordPress Conference That Held Last Saturday by FemiYB: 1:58pm On Mar 15, 2018
OurworkComNg1:

Now,

check out my platform
(or check my signature)

Brother, firstly that website is shitty please, abeg don't show it to anyone again.

I can't even say Yes WordPress can build a site like that, please. That can't even be compared to what you can do with WordPress grin

I think the problem here is you think WordPress is like Wix

Go check these websites

https://www.awwwards.com/websites/wordpress/
Re: #WCLAGOS2018: Highlights From The WordPress Conference That Held Last Saturday by PcashMojo(m): 2:20pm On Mar 15, 2018
SmartyPants:

Young man, its like you deliberately don't want to understand. PHP is not used for decoration, it is used for creating functionality and while i cannot at all claim to know PHP as such, if there is PHP present in a site it should reflect in the capability and functionality of that site. I am not talking about the code!

Maybe there is a backend with features such as user logins and stuff that we all can't see but then there is no reason to assume that there is.

So in simple terms, when you log on to the site, which of the functions there requires PHP?? Very few... so like i said at first there may be PHP but very little. And in any case the original point is that Wordpress is built on PHP and thus an exact replica of GTbank's website can be built on Wordpress.

No you seen not to accept correction,I only made reference to PHP because you felt it's little php that was used on the website,mean while the server side code is not available so it might not be php,but rather ASP.NET, C#...or any server-side language...
Re: #WCLAGOS2018: Highlights From The WordPress Conference That Held Last Saturday by OurworkComNg1: 4:07pm On Mar 15, 2018
FemiYB:

Brother, firstly that website is shitty please, abeg don't show it to anyone again.

I can't even say Yes WordPress can build a site like that, please. That can't even be compared to what you can do with WordPress grin

I think the problem here is you think WordPress is like Wix

Go check these websites

https://www.awwwards.com/websites/wordpress/

well thanks for your opinion, that's a project work brought to life. like i said, i will be moving it to bootstrap 4 very soon.

so please kindly do me a favour and store the name "ourwork.com.ng" in your memory because it will be coming out very soon

lastly, wordpress can't do functionalities of what's on my platform except only corporate website of 5 pages (home, about us, services, contact us).

i am not against wordpress as a web design tool. i am just against those who think knowing wordpress makes them a web developer. Just like pharmacist are claiming to be doctors.

thank you...
Re: #WCLAGOS2018: Highlights From The WordPress Conference That Held Last Saturday by OurworkComNg1: 4:17pm On Mar 15, 2018
ClintonNzedimma:

the design is not too great but the back-end code is complex...

thanks sir, he thought the way Facebook is today was how it looked when mark zuckerberg designed it 14years ago. thanks sir
Re: #WCLAGOS2018: Highlights From The WordPress Conference That Held Last Saturday by OurworkComNg1: 4:20pm On Mar 15, 2018
ClintonNzedimma:
Baddosky1 and SmartyPants it all depends on the one that works for you, let's stop this unnecessary comparison....i am a developer, I code alot but I don't undermine WP users bcoz I use it when I need to

that's just it. if the work is simple, use a simpler approach and if its complex, use a complex approach
Re: #WCLAGOS2018: Highlights From The WordPress Conference That Held Last Saturday by OurworkComNg1: 4:28pm On Mar 15, 2018
SmartyPants:

guy if you want to learn, just do like mumu, listen and learn. checking source page through browser can never tell you the back end programme used.

do you know a developer can code it you wont be able to check the source page when you right click and choose source page.

do you know on the url a developer can write a code that you won't know the back end program used?

like nairaland.com/profile.ddd instead of .php and you will be confused that "which one na .ddd oo"

please accept when you are wrong so that you can learn
Re: #WCLAGOS2018: Highlights From The WordPress Conference That Held Last Saturday by ClintonNzedimma(m): 4:35pm On Mar 15, 2018
OurworkComNg1:

that's just it. if the work is simple, use a simpler approach and if its complex, use a complex approach
sure ....exactly

1 Like

Re: #WCLAGOS2018: Highlights From The WordPress Conference That Held Last Saturday by oswaggiee(m): 5:13pm On Mar 15, 2018
SmartyPants:

It seems like you are not very knowledgeable about the whole thing. In the first place GTBank's website is a simple HTML, CSS and Javascript site. There is no php (or rather very little PHP), and i've just checked the source file.

Secondly, coding in HTML, CSS and PHP is the definition of coding from scratch so i don't know what you are trying to say.

Finally, true wordpress developers are proficient in all four languages (HTML, CSS, Javascript and PHP) and then they understand Wordpress. As we speak, over 27% of all websites worldwide are powered by Wordpress, including some of the world's biggest brands. This trend is only set to grow.

So continue mocking things you don't fully understand untill you find yourself snd your skillset (if you haave) completely obsolete.

I completely agree with this guy! wink

(1) (2) (Reply)

Will Changing My Niche Affect My Adsense Account? / Paypal:how To Create A Paypal Account In Nigeria Live On Nairaland / Learn How To Build Websites And Make Money

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.