Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,771 members, 7,817,139 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:58 AM

Ways To Overcome Awkward Silence In An Interview - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Ways To Overcome Awkward Silence In An Interview (347 Views)

Check Out What A Guy Wore To An Interview / Lady Reveals She Slept With A Manager During An Interview And Got The Job! / How I Failed An Interview With One Of The Leading Brewery In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Ways To Overcome Awkward Silence In An Interview by needmyservice: 7:08pm On Mar 15, 2018
We all know that feeling at the end of a job interview when the interviewer says “Do you have any questions for us?” Rather that sitting there with nothing to say or a cursory “No, I think you’ve pretty much covered everything” you should really prepare yourself.
Here are some suggestions to help you prepare for that inevitable question. Obviously you won’t be able to ask all of these questions at one interview and nor will they necessarily suit each role that you are going for.

Try to make sure that when you leave your interview, you know everything that you want to about the prospective role and the organisation that it sits

Navigating silence during an interview can prove difficult.
If you practice ahead of the big day, you’ll know how to fill the silence with substance.
And if you find yourself rambling, there’s no shame in saying, “Let me start over.”
We’ve all been there: You’re in an interview and everything is seemingly going well. Then, suddenly, the conversation hits a lull.

Do you speak first to fill the awkward-feeling silence? Do you wait for your interviewer to lead the way? What body language do you express?

I’ve worked in recruiting in the financial services industry for over five years and interacted with thousands of candidates throughout all stages of their interview processes, and I can tell you that awkward silences happen in nearly all interviews. They are rarely the result of doing something wrong, but rather part of a natural course of events – someone stopping to think about a previous answer or someone trying to remember the point he or she was planning to make, for example. Unfortunately, candidates often assume the void is their fault, get nervous, and start rambling to fill the void. But that’s not necessarily the best plan of attack. Here’s what to do instead.

1. Understand the importance of the silence.
As a recruiter, there are so many things that go through my head during an interview. First and foremost, I’m responsible for taking as many notes as possible. I don’t want to forget anything the candidate is saying, because I have to pass along the right information to the hiring manager. This sometimes requires me to pause and take it all in.

That said, I sometimes do use silence as a test; I want to see how the candidate will respond under pressure. Hiring managers do the same — they use silence to assess a candidate’s comfort and emotional intelligence. To come out ahead, let the awkward silence run its course. Show poise. Count slowly to five, and then say, “Is there anything else I can fill in on that point?” Consider this a moment to reflect on your answers and gather your thoughts for the rest of the conversation.

Read full post here - http://needmyservice.com/ways-overcome-awkward-silence-interview/

(1) (Reply)

Mercy Corps Nigeria Job Recruitment (5 Positions) / Latest Ongoing Recruitment At First Bank Of Nigeria Limited (firstbank) / Apply For Ikeja Electricity Distribution Company Recruitment 2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.